Waiting for a trade that will never happen.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Waiting for a trade that will never happen.

Where were you last year when PC made that great trade that shored up the B's offense/defense in preparation for the playoffs?

Don't remember?  That is because it never happened, just like the year before.

So, if past history is any indication, everyone is going to be sitting on the edge of their seat on last day of the deadline, waiting for an announcement that will never come.

If we are lucky, we might get some 4th liner or a washed up 36 year old who's best days are behind him; and an announcement that there just wasn't anything available.  

Why?  Because as PC has proven over and over, he is completely inept when it comes to big trades.  don't even try to bring up the PK trade; no one ever knew we would get such a good draft pick, and it still has not panned out yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Waiting for a trade that will never happen.

Scenario 1:  There were trades that would have noticeably improved the Bruins' chances of winning the Cup.  Chiarelli did not make them because he failed to find them.

Scenario 2:  No such trades existed;  Chiarelli made no big trades because none of the ones he found would have made sense for the team.

The observable (no big trade made) in each scenario is identical.  How do you differentiate between the two?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Kovalchuk was bad, even for a rent-a-player; even considering that we could have had him for the end of the season for next to nothing...remember that the Devils didn't enter into that albatross of a contract until this year.  Regardless,  I was always against it and still am.  

But the fact remains, 2 years...two flops.  Tell me this....Philly got Versteg for a first and third, don't we have 2 first and a third.  Makes you wonder...Do you really think that Philly is going to be picking any higher than Boston's first (not talking about Toronto's first)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Waiting for a trade that will never happen.:
    [QUOTE]Kovalchuk was bad, even for a rent-a-player; even considering that we could have had him for the end of the season for next to nothing...remember that the Devils didn't enter into that albatross of a contract until this year.  Regardless,  I was always against it and still am.   But the fact remains, 2 years...two flops.  Tell me this....Philly got Versteg for a first and third, don't we have 2 first and a third.  Makes you wonder...Do you really think that Philly is going to be picking any higher than Boston's first (not talking about Toronto's first)
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]
    Versteeg isn't worth a 1st and a 3rd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

ok.  let me get this freakin straight.

nobody - not one of you screaming for a move right now wanted kovalchuk last year?

nobody?

now I have a bit of respect for the kessel lovers, at least they still insist kessel is awesome.

but now - NOBODY wanted Kovalchuk.  nobody.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Waiting for a trade that will never happen.:
    [QUOTE]Where were you last year when PC made that great trade that shored up the B's offense/defense in preparation for the playoffs? Don't remember?  That is because it never happened, just like the year before. So, if past history is any indication, everyone is going to be sitting on the edge of their seat on last day of the deadline, waiting for an announcement that will never come. If we are lucky, we might get some 4th liner or a washed up 36 year old who's best days are behind him; and an announcement that there just wasn't anything available.   Why?  Because as PC has proven over and over, he is completely inept when it comes to big trades.  don't even try to bring up the PK trade; no one ever knew we would get such a good draft pick, and it still has not panned out yet.
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

NO ONE KNEW WE WOULD GET SUCH A GOOD PICK????

You have one hell of a nerve.

Check the Toronto record tracker.

FOURTH fershlugginer post.  FOURTH  by me.

Here it is:
    Toronto isn't winning games,
    but if you've been watching them
    you will notice
    that they really are that awful.

A #1 pick overall would be pretty sweet.

Check the date on that post 10/10/9

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wanted kovalchuk then..At any cost...I'll take him right now..He had a bad HALF season..still one of the best in the world and still a game changer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I did want Kovy, and how wrong I would have been. For the quality of players NJ gave up I would still consider it though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Again  Next day on the Toronto record tracker - dated 10/11/09

Have any of you been watching the Leafs?  Never mind the 3 games, I also watched them preseason.

They are horrible.  HORRIBLE.

Wayne Primeau? 

How desperate do you have to be to bring in Jason Allison?  Look at the list of free agents out there, and they brought in Allison?

The Leafs have an excellent chance of finishing last overall

Jason Allison.  Jason Allison - and NO ONE saw that they were in trouble??

If you didn't see them in the bottom 5 of the league that year, you know nothing about hockey.

If you actually watched the Leafs back then and saw the goal that went in off of Komiserak's head because he was playing like an idiot and thought they were going to finish anywhere but the bottom of the league, you had to be just nuts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I wanted kovalchuk then..At any cost...I'll take him right now..He had a bad HALF season..still one of the best in the world and still a game changer.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

hey, this is a guy who will man up.  I respect that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]Where were you last year when PC made that great trade that shored up the B's offense/defense in preparation for the playoffs? Don't remember?  That is because it never happened, just like the year before. So, if past history is any indication, everyone is going to be sitting on the edge of their seat on last day of the deadline, waiting for an announcement that will never come. If we are lucky, we might get some 4th liner or a washed up 36 year old who's best days are behind him; and an announcement that there just wasn't anything available.   Why?  Because as PC has proven over and over, he is completely inept when it comes to big trades.  don't even try to bring up the PK trade; no one ever knew we would get such a good draft pick, and it still has not panned out yet.
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

Didn't PC acquire Seidenberg at the trade deadline to shore up the D ? Not a bad pickup considering there were slim pickins last year.. Are you going to blame PC that Seidenberg ends up getting a freak injury and misses the playoffs entirely? He would have been a great addition to the playoff roster for sure.. What other big star dman was picked up last year at the trade deadline? .. I think he also ended up with Matt Bartkowski who could very well be a player for the future.. Didn't he also get Steven Kampfer last year as well from Anaheim?

As for his inability to pull off big trades, I thought the Horton trade was pretty significant... He kicked the tires with Atlanta for Kovy, but the asking price he said was significant and #1 pick from Leafs was not in play.. Good for him.

Also worth noting is that PC is on record this year saying the Bruins will definitely do something before the trade deadline to bolster the team for stretch drive.. To do otherwise would hold him up to tons of scrutiny by Boston media , fans etc.. PC is too smart for that... Having said that I am not dreaming that Brad Richards is coming here either? You would have to give a lot for him.. I think he needs to fill two spots.. a scoring winger, and a offensive type D man to work the PP ..Guess we will have to wait and see.. Price will be high, just look at what Phily gave up for an average player in Versteeg?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of this, but disagree about the Kessel trade comment.  EVERYONE who follows the NHL knew Toronto was gonna be bad the season following the Kessel deal.  There was every reason to believe it would be a top-5 pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I might have gone for him for a decent price, but what was paid as a rental was too high anyway.

[QUOTE]ok.  let me get this freakin straight. nobody - not one of you screaming for a move right now wanted kovalchuk last year? nobody? now I have a bit of respect for the kessel lovers, at least they still insist kessel is awesome. but now - NOBODY wanted Kovalchuk.  nobody.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Big splashy trades at the deadline almost never work.Go ahead and name the last time a first line forward or top 2 defenseman was added too a team from February on, and that team went on to win.

I'll passs on holding my breath.

Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

You would have given a first round pick for Verseeg ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

bleeder - Rob Blake was acquired by the Avalanche the last time they won the Cup.  #2 defenseman behind ... jeez I forget.

Pittsburgh won their first Cup because they acquired Ron Francis Grant Jennings and Ulf Samuelsson.  That a first liner on almost any team added to be a second line centre on the Pens, plus the guy who took Neely out to pave the way for the Pens to come back from 0-2 in the series.

It happens.  But in both those cases, the acquiring team paid what looked like a lot but proved to be pretty little.  Adam Deadmarsh and a first (used to select the Crosby hunting Steckel) went for Blake, and Deadmarsh barely played in LA before injuries forced him to retire.  The Whale got Zarley Zalapski, John Cullen and somebody else.  Cullen was the worst player on the option line with Recchi and CoKevin Stevens.  So both those deals were absolutely once a decade steals.  You can't make them happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ecorm. Show Ecorm's posts

Peter: please don't trade the  Toronto pick...in fact please do not trade any more 1st round draft picks ever again...If you had kept the 15th pick from last year, you probably could have moved up (by trading a high 2nd round pick) to get Cam Fowler. Good GM's DO NOT trade 1st round draft picks. Harry Sinden only traded away one 1st round pick in his entire tenure as B's GM,...He traded for 5 1st round picks. Mike O'Connel on the other hand traded away 3 1st round picks. The picks that O'Connel traded away cost the Bruins the chance to get, either Robyn Regeher or Simon Gagne in 1998. It cost them the chance to get Mike Green in 2004, and it cost them the chance to get eitherRyan Getzlaf or Zach Parise in 2003. It does not make sense to trade away a potential all star or even a franchise player just to go one more round deeper into the playoffs. If you trade one of the first round picks you will be showing us conclusively that all the Bruins want to do is make lots of money by going deep into the playoffs (without winning a Stanley cup) and have no interest in building a consistent Stanley Cup contender that will have a realistic chance at a cup for years. Real championship teams are built through the draft...as with the 1980's NY Islanders, & 1980's Oilers, 1990's (and current) Pittsburgh Penguins, and the current Washington Capitals...That is the way to build a championship team...not by trading for rent-a-players. You have a great chance to get a potential all star player with that Toronto pick. GOOD GM'S DO NOT TRADE AWAY 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICKS. If it means trading that pick to go one round deeper into the playoffs YOU SHOULD STAND PAT! Realistically the Bruins are 2-3 all star level players away from contending for the cup anyway. They need a puck moving D-Man, a goal scorer on the wing who can CONSISTENTLY score 40+ goals, and an all star level 1st line center which they may or may not have in Seguin. They are not going to be able to get all of those things by the trade deadline or by trading 1st round picks. So they should continue to build a team that will have a chance to contend for years. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Didnt Boston let Versteeg go, or was he a draft pick by someone, when they received a B's pick in a trade?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I do not agree with anything dgb1 stated. Cowboy set it straight. Chiarelli has built a decent team from very little in the now infamous CAP era. He is working to produce a solid Defenseman [ let's hope Boychuck goes] and a scoring forward[ not too many available]. He also has a built in problem with Claude's decision making. Chia and Neely had discussions with Claude, reported as somewhat contentious, and Claude responded by shortening his bench in the 3rd period.Some of us might question who he picked to staple to the boards, and that is the problem. Claude never takes blame for lack of preparation or miscues like slow defensive changes, that is another problem. IMO a trade will happen, but then let's see how Claude implements.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Peter: please don't trade the  Toronto pick...in fact please do not trade any more 1st round draft picks ever again...If you had kept the 15th pick from last year, you probably could have moved up (by trading a high 2nd round pick) to get Cam Fowler. Good GM's DO NOT trade 1st round draft picks.  Harry Sinden  only traded away one 1st round pick in his entire tenure as B's GM,...He traded for 5 1st round picks. Mike O'Connel on the other hand traded away 3 1st round picks. The picks that O'Connel traded away cost the Bruins the chance to get, either  Robyn Regeher  or Simon Gagne in 1998. It cost them the chance to get Mike Green in 2004, and it cost them the chance to get either Ryan Getzlaf  or  Zach Parise  in 2003. It does not make sense to trade away a potential all star or even a  franchise player  just to go one more round deeper into the playoffs. If you trade one of the first round picks you will be showing us conclusively that all the Bruins want to do is make  lots of money  by going deep into the playoffs (without winning a Stanley cup) and have no interest in building a consistent  Stanley Cup contender  that will have a realistic chance at a cup for years. Real championship teams are built through the draft...as with the 1980's NY Islanders, & 1980's Oilers, 1990's (and current) Pittsburgh Penguins, and the current Washington Capitals...That is the way to build a championship team...not by trading for rent-a-players. You have a great chance to get a potential all star player with that Toronto pick. GOOD GM'S DO NOT TRADE AWAY 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICKS. If it means trading that pick to go one round deeper into the playoffs YOU SHOULD STAND PAT! Realistically the Bruins are 2-3 all star level players away from contending for the cup anyway. They need a puck moving D-Man, a goal scorer on the wing who can  CONSISTENTLY  score 40+ goals, and an all star level 1st line center which they may or may not have in Seguin. They are not going to be able to get all of those things by the  trade deadline  or by trading 1st round picks. So they should continue to build a team that will have a chance to contend for years. 
    Posted by Ecorm[/QUOTE]

Logical, well thought out, first post Ecorm.  Although I would argue trading a 1st rounder is "never' wise, I'd agree that it takes a very special opportunity to consider such a deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

opps..... I meant to include "an early" first rounder in my statement above.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Where were you last year when PC made that great trade that shored up the B's offense/defense in preparation for the playoffs? Don't remember?  That is because it never happened, just like the year before. Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

You forget quickly, my friend.

Does the name Dennis Seidenberg ring a bell?

Perhaps you may not recall him, he was injured just before the playoffs and didn't play in them.

If things go well (doesn't get injured) he will play in them this year.

Does that tell you something?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

The price for defencemen is going up everyday now, look how many dmen Vancouver has lost recently.Guarantee that any team  Chiarelli is calling are asking for the leafs first round pick for their second rate players.

Sections
Shortcuts