Was Kaberle worth the trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Was Kaberle worth the trade?

I know what most of you will say, "Hey, we won the cup so he was obviously worth it."  I remember when the trade went threw though thinking that we better find a way to re-sign this guy because were giving up way to much for a guy were essentially renting for the playoffs.  A first round pick and colbourne one of our more talented young prospects.  To get a guy that really didnt turn out as great as most people thought he would be.  I thought that maybe if were could resign him and get him through a full camp with the team that maybe he would have a better season but he never got the opportunity.

So looking back would give up all we did to get Tomas Kaberle for essentially just a playoff run.  I guess it comes down to wether you think we win the cup without Kaberle or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?

hindsight is 20/20 and chia's deals for pev and kelly outweigh kabby... 

mcquaid replaced stewie and you basically got pev and kelly for wheels.  so happy the latter is gone. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

personally i liked kaberle. i thought he made great out passes and changed our transition game.

ok he doesn't shoot the puck... he's a playmaker not a play finisher.

i liked how he started shooting late in the playoffs.

i thought that given a whole camp and season with the bruins would prove his worth, but he didn't get the chance given the asking price.

i think he'll do well with carolina. we'll see by the all-star break if i'm right...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

To be terse, the ends justify the means.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

You cannot say Boston wins the cup without Kaberle. No one knows the answer to that, so I would say that because of the cup, the trade was worth it.
    The 2 draft picks may never see the NHL, and Chiarelli has had the time to evaluate Colbourne, and may have determined he had a limited upside.
    I believe winning the cup, allowed Chiarelli to walk away from over-paying to re-sign Kaberle, in order to justify the trade.
    Other GM's in the past, have given up a lot more for a rental, and didn't win. Remember how much NJ gave up for Kovalchuk, and won nothing. Then they had to give him a huge contract, in part, to help justify that trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No disrespect to Joe Colborne, just because he is gone now, as I do like him seeing him play many times in college I was impressed. He was expendable because his AHL numbers were so, so and with the depth Chiarelli now has at center Krejci, Peverley, Bergeron, Seguin, Arniel, Spooner and Knight.

Allot of fans that complained Chiarelli never made big splashes near or right before the trade deadline since he arrived are now complaining about what he gave up. GMs that make big trades at the deadline overpay at the time of the trade. Also if you look at the players that went back n forth between both the Kaberle and the Phil trades so far, I'd say because Boston has a cup so I'd make that trade again.

Check back later to rate the progress of prospects that went back n forth.

PS. You will see a big difference in Kaberle PP numbers while in Carolina (no Geoff Ward). Skinner and Staal do not make mistakes with sweet feeds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky10. Show eyeinthesky10's posts

I know it's been said already but, You can't second guess a trade that helped bring the stanley cup home.  

Maybe the trade did more for the other bruins D-men than the actual play of Kaberle.  They brought in a guy that was supposed to be a PP quarterback.  Turns out he couldn't do that or play D better than any of the other guys, in effect showing them that they played a better game than a guy making 4.25M.  Sure we lost a top prospect and picks, but we got stronger as a team and we got a Cup!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

that'll be my final word on the subject.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

In Response to Was Kaberle worth the trade?:
    [QUOTE]I know what most of you will say, "Hey, we won the cup so he was obviously worth it."  I remember when the trade went threw though thinking that we better find a way to re-sign this guy because were giving up way to much for a guy were essentially renting for the playoffs.  A first round pick and colbourne one of our more talented young prospects.  To get a guy that really didnt turn out as great as most people thought he would be.  I thought that maybe if were could resign him and get him through a full camp with the team that maybe he would have a better season but he never got the opportunity. So looking back would give up all we did to get Tomas Kaberle for essentially just a playoff run.  I guess it comes down to wether you think we win the cup without Kaberle or not.
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]
    worth it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Actually, I think you can look at this in really simple terms and say "yep."

They gave up two futures and a prospect.  Not a tick off the NHL roster.  So, in 2010-11, they gave up nothing and got back a veteran defenseman who, for all his liabilities, is a solid passer who improved the breakout.  Nothing for something they needed (even if they didn't get everything they needed) is a win.

I'll throw in that we can now pull that package out of the abstract and say the Bruins gave up Colborne, Rickard Rakell (drafted in the Bruins spot at 30th), and what is, you'd hope, something like the 55th to 60th pick in the 2012 draft.  If one of those picks turns into a superstar some time in the future, maybe I'll feel a bit of regret, but for now, the Bruins have the Cup, so...win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Was Kaberle worth the trade?:
    [QUOTE]I know what most of you will say, "Hey, we won the cup so he was obviously worth it."  I remember when the trade went threw though thinking that we better find a way to re-sign this guy because were giving up way to much for a guy were essentially renting for the playoffs.  A first round pick and colbourne one of our more talented young prospects.  To get a guy that really didnt turn out as great as most people thought he would be.  I thought that maybe if were could resign him and get him through a full camp with the team that maybe he would have a better season but he never got the opportunity. So looking back would give up all we did to get Tomas Kaberle for essentially just a playoff run.  I guess it comes down to wether you think we win the cup without Kaberle or not.
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]

The #30 overall.

And what did Colbourne do to be labeled that way?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

We won the Cup with Kaberle in the line up ...answer YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I like the Cup way more than anything the Bruins gave up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

In Response to Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's been said already but, You can't second guess a trade that helped bring the stanley cup home.   Maybe the trade did more for the other bruins D-men than the actual play of Kaberle.  They brought in a guy that was supposed to be a PP quarterback.  Turns out he couldn't do that or play D better than any of the other guys, in effect showing them that they played a better game than a guy making 4.25M.  Sure we lost a top prospect and picks, but we got stronger as a team and we got a Cup!
    Posted by eyeinthesky10[/QUOTE]

Interesting twist to  think about.
    He did help via points and all, however he sure didn't make the other guys look foolish. A Team Player maybe.
    Kabs and the Bruins got their Cup, Kabs left for money, Boston gave up prospects. Boston still looks good for the near and distance future.
    I say thanks for the short time Tomas and helping the Bruins to win the Cup in 39yrs. Meet up with you in the corner next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Funny, but I brought this subject up a couple of weeks ago, and was essentially shouted down. Now it comes up, and rational discussion ensues. Perhaps I raised the subject too soon after the parade?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

In Response to Was Kaberle worth the trade
    Yes.Bruins won cup @ still  good chance to repeat
    Top 5 team

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

I always knew that Kaberle was overated, although after he got here I liked the fact that he always passed the puck forward in the defensive zone and not back around the net. Even though he was not what everyone expected, it was the first time in years that managenent sent a message to the team and fans that they believed we had what it takes to win a cup, and are going to go out and get you that last piece of the puzzle so that we can win it now. Something like that can not be measured in goals and assists.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

How would everyone feel if they had traded Kessel for Kaberle the year before? Would we win the cup then? Yikes...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]How would everyone feel if they had traded Kessel for Kaberle the year before? Would we win the cup then? Yikes...
    Posted by shaunk[/QUOTE]

I believe that the deal was Kaberle and a 1st for Kessel, and the deal broke down when Burke was talking about the Leafs 1st pick rather than another 1st round pick the Leafs traded for.

So the Bruins would have had Kaberle for the Flyers series and they still would have had Seguin and maybe even Hall if the Leafs were that much worse without Kaberle and then lost out on Hamilton.

Kaberle had 2 years left in his contract, he could have been traded for another asset in that time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Was the trade worth it?  Absolutely.  You judge the trade by what was known at the time.  At the time, the Bruins were in contention, had a large quantity of solid prospects and draft picks, and had, as there biggest weakness, the lack of a passing D.  Their weakness had been exposed against teams like Detroit.  The Bruins traded surplus assets to get the best passing D available.  Good trade, no question.  In hind-sight, the trade worked out exactly as hoped, the Bruins went all the way.  The 1st rounder ended up as the 30th pick and Joe Colborne probably wouldn't be making the team this coming year anyway.  Boston went to 7 games 3 times, they needed every edge they could get.  Kaberle didn't blow people away but he was a 'plus' player, put up .44 points per game in limited minutes and made the 3rd pairing among the best.  He made some nice passes that few players could make that probably changed the outcome of games.  Significant price, but excellent results.  The right trade at the right time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

I was re-watching the Montreal series on NHL network, and that reminded me of the best thing he did all playoffs - the long pass to Ryder, coming off the bench, in game 4 that tied the game at 1. Montreal was dominating that game at the time. Wish we saw more of that out of him. He did have 11 assists, which is hard to ignore.

He definitely got better as the playoffs went on (although hard not to considering how brutal he was early on). And I admit, I would've been curious to see a whole year out of him, but not at that price. Sad to see Colborne gone for a rental, as I was really intrigued by him. The picks? Eh.

Bottom line, we won the whole frigging thing (to paraphrase Jake Taylor), so I'm totally fine with it, despite his contributions being iffy at best.

Side note: watching those games again makes me REALLY hope they releae a box set of all the games, like they did with the Sox in '04. It's so much less stressful knowing the outcome. ;)

And yes, a NESN DVD a la "Faith Rewarded" is a must.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Very simple:  Lord Stanley Cup Champions = Yes, Kaberle was worth the trade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?:[QUOTE]The Bruins traded surplus assets to get the best passing D available. The 1st rounder ended up as the 30th pick and Joe Colborne probably wouldn't be making the team this coming year anyway. The right trade at the right time. Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Or the year after.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

The goal is to win the Cup.  Everyone one here realizes how hard it is to win those 16 games in the post season.

Boston won the Cup, so all the deals that PC made to make that happen was worth it.

Even if the players coming back to Toronto turn into stars (and there is no guarantee of that) winning the cup is what it's all about.

Would Boston have won the cup without Kaberle?  We'll never know...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The goal is to win the Cup.  Everyone one here realizes how hard it is to win those 16 games in the post season. Boston won the Cup, so all the deals that PC made to make that happen was worth it. Even if the players coming back to Toronto turn into stars (and there is no guarantee of that) winning the cup is what it's all about. Would Boston have won the cup without Kaberle?  We'll never know...
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]
    LRH, it's just like when the Rangers traded a young Doug Weight in order to get Tikkanen (and winning the Cup). Weight went on to have a pretty solid career but I suspect most NYR fans still feel like it was worth it to win.