Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    [QUOTE]How does a democratic vote help discern wether something is or is not a fact? The guy's got a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459#!/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459?sk=wall&filter=1 Why doesn't someone just ask him?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

"Hey Terry,

A some of the guys here who grew up around hockey in the late 70s and for the full duration of the 80s never heard you called, "Taz". 

Is this true?"

Is that what you would ask?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I wouldn't ask anything, but that's because I don't really care.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't ask anything, but that's because I don't really care.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I think it's because you don't understand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Understand what? That a bunch of you are in a tizzy over whether or not an ex-player (who is commonly now known as Taz by the public) was or was not commonly known to the public by that nickname over a quarter of century ago when he was still playing?

I'm pretty sure I grasp the dispute, I just think it's silly.

Can't wait for the All-Star break to be over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

NAS gets his second fighting major of the day.

One more and you're outta here, pal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Understand what? That a bunch of you are in a tizzy over whether or not an ex-player (who is commonly now known as Taz by the public) was or was not commonly known to the public by that nickname over a quarter of century ago when he was still playing? I'm pretty sure I grasp the dispute, I just think it's silly. Can't wait for the All-Star break to be over.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Okay, well, if you do understand it, then what question would be asked of O'Reilly?  Listen, lady, if you don't want to be involved, don't get involved.  You're a little like PK right now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]NAS gets his second fighting major of the day. One more and you're outta here, pal.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

2nd ? More like 5th. Me ( well he tried with me ), you, Crowls, 49North and Red. Give him 32 minutes ! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Let's not even get into Don Cherry's nickname for John Wensink: "Wire." As in Wensink's hair.

And can we get a little love for "Seaweed" Pettie? Or "Reverend" Ron Grahame? Or Peter "One Iota" McNab?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Okay, well, if you do understand it, then what question would be asked of O'Reilly?  Listen, lady, if you don't want to be involved, don't get involved.  You're a little like PK right now!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

How about something like

"Mr. O'Reilly, we were hoping that you could help settle a dispute we were having on the Boston Bruins forum at Boston.com amongst longtime Bruins fans. Do you recall approximately when you picked up the nickname "Taz"? And do you recall if any reporters or members of the public referred to you by that nickname while you were still playing? It may sound like a trivial question, but it has provoked a great deal of debate on Boston.com and we were hoping you could give us an answer."

That work? Not exactly hard to figure out how to ask a question - you just have to use one of those little crook shaped punctuation marks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Maybe not commonly known or used on TV, but Taz it was. And for one year he was teammates with Charlie Simmer, a.k.a Chaz. Really.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Add Book and Loyal to my gang.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

He was Taz, tho my buddy a habnots fan called him Lou or Hulk because his unibrow made him look like Lou Ferrigno or the incredible hulk.

HNIC and pretty sure I remember it on the WBZ as that was where I got most of my games in the 70's in rural Ontario.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    [QUOTE]So did you know that 'Taz' was the nickname of Terry O'Reilly and do you consider it common knowledge for Bruins fans?  [Edit to appease fletch: during his career ]
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Anyone who remotely followed the Bruins during TO's career knew his nickname was "Taz." Are you kidding me?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Terry R SuperStar....Ruskowski
    Cowboy...Bill Flett
    Spinner...Brian Spencer
    Jethro...Clark Gillies
    Nifty--Middleton
    CementHead--Dave Semenko
    The Rat...Kenny Linseman
    .....lots of nicknames

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I never saw him play for the bruins but have known that to be his nick name for as long as I can remember. I only saw him as a coach but can't remember when I first heard that as a his nickname. I wana saw it might have been from ray bourque refering to him as a Taz in an interview but can't remember this for sure...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Anyone who remotely followed the Bruins during TO's career knew his nickname was "Taz." Are you kidding me?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Just not true.  You have about six long time posters here saying otherwise.  I've known he was called Taz for about 15 years, but I can only remember learning it after he retired.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Just not true.  You have about six long time posters here saying otherwise.  I've known he was called Taz for about 15 years, but I can only remember learning it after he retired.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch, according to your post in the other thread, you were also only 8 years-old when he retired. Tough to remember anything from before that age, particularly newspaper references and the like. Not saying you're wrong, just taking that with a grain of salt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

Ha Ha Ha, the defensivness of the "No" camp speaks volumes.....

What lame azz reasoning, that TV announces didn't call him 'Taz,' therefore, it was not a common nickname !? They're not supposed to sound like homers(except when there's a fight and they can't help themselves.)

Anyone over 40 who was a fan of the 70s Bs would know that; hence it was on Red's list of questions....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Ha Ha Ha, the defensivness of the "No" camp speaks volumes..... What lame azz reasoning, that TV announces didn't call him 'Taz,' therefore, it was not a common nickname !? They're not supposed to sound like homers(except when there's a fight and they can't help themselves.) Anyone over 40 who was a fan of the 70s Bs would know that; hence it was on Red's list of questions....     
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]

Not supposed to sound like homers?  Ever hear of Jack Edwards?

Red's original statement said nothing of age.

However, if you're going with the over 40 crowd, I'm out of jail free.

That still doesn't make it common.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My original statement also said nothing about "playing years."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Fletch, according to your post in the other thread, you were also only 8 years-old when he retired. Tough to remember anything from before that age, particularly newspaper references and the like. Not saying you're wrong, just taking that with a grain of salt.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for that (quick calculations there).  I was about 9 1/2 when O'Reilly retired, so maybe you're not too far off.  But I remember so much about watching that guy.  He and Bourque were my two favorite players.  My Dad and older brother loved him too.  I pretended I was O'Reilly on the pond and in my basement.  I remembered his number, his choppy skating style, his goals, his fights, etc.  I just didn't remember the nickname until later on.  Just trying to be honest.  That's all.  Apparently I'm not the only one either...

Aren't you the same age as me...and you said you remember...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Ha Ha Ha, the defensivness of the "No" camp speaks volumes..... What lame azz reasoning, that TV announces didn't call him 'Taz,' therefore, it was not a common nickname !? They're not supposed to sound like homers(except when there's a fight and they can't help themselves.) Anyone over 40 who was a fan of the 70s Bs would know that; hence it was on Red's list of questions....     

Settle down Gris, it's a civil debate about a stupid topic, and some of us are just being honest about not recalling the nickname until later when it became more popular.  If you remember the 70's and 80's so clearly, you might recall that there was no internet and 24-hour sports stations.  So, you learned about the Bruins, and the players, from the broadcasts and newpapers.  If the broadcasters and and newspaper writers didn't use the nicknames a lot, you might not know them.  That's all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Yeah, cause Fred and company werent homers at all. Also, red is 36. I'm 36 also, caught the last couple of years of his career, never missed a game and can't recall anyone refering to him as "Taz" while he played. And Like Fletch said, all we had were the papers and broadcasts, yet from those I knew these.

1. The Flower - Lafleur
    2. Great One
    3. Super Mario/Le Magnifique
    4. Leigon Of Doom - Lindros/LeClair/Renberg
    5. Crazy 8's - Recchi/Lindros/Fedyk
    6. Bonanza Line Oates/Juneau/Kvartalnov
    7. Mr. Hockey
    8. Jay "Goulet" Miller as dubbed by Derek Sandersons wife when he scored.
    9. Russian Rocket- Bure
    10. Boom Boom Geoffrion
    11. The Grim Reaper
    12. Wild Thing or The Planet- Al Iafrate
    13. Cujo
    14. Felix "The Cat" Potvin
    15. Rocket Richard
    16. St. Patrick Roy
    17. Captain Canada- Ryan Smyth
    18. Beezer = Vanbiesbrouck
    19. Little Ball Of Hate- No not Marchand, Pat Verbeek
    20. Solo Ed Mio--NHL2Nite phrase more than a name
    21. Chicken Parm
    22. Finnish Flash
    23. Foppa

These are just off of the top of my head, yet don't recall the Taz name...These were all before the social media as we know it today, just from broadcasts, papers,magazines and NHL 2 Nite on ESPN2 with Buccigross, Melrose, Ferraro..PAUL KARIYA "CHA CHA CHA"....I'd be willing to bet those  who claim not to of heard taz have heard of most of these if not all of them. Have you?, Cause if not, I have to question your fanhood!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Anyone who remotely followed the Bruins during TO's career knew his nickname was "Taz." Are you kidding me?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Terrell Owens was nicknamed "Taz"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]How does a democratic vote help discern wether something is or is not a fact? The guy's got a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459#!/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459?sk=wall&filter=1 Why doesn't someone just ask him?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I still want to know what we're supposed to ask him. 

Maybe, "Mr. O'Reilly, NAS, Fletcher, Oatescam, Bookboy Kelvana, LoyalB&G, and Isla say they didn't know your nickname was 'Taz'.  Is this true?"