Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    I still want to know what we're supposed to ask him.  Maybe, "Mr. O'Reilly, NAS, Fletcher, Oatescam, Bookboy Kelvana, LoyalB&G, and Isla say they didn't know your nickname was 'Taz'.  Is this true?"
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Take a ride up to the beach and ask him yourself. He's an approachable guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Yeah, cause Fred and company werent homers at all. Also, red is 36. I'm 36 also, caught the last couple of years of his career, never missed a game and can't recall anyone refering to him as "Taz" while he played. And Like Fletch said, all we had were the papers and broadcasts, yet from those I knew these. 1. The Flower - Lafleur 2. Great One 3. Super Mario/Le Magnifique 4. Leigon Of Doom - Lindros/LeClair/Renberg 5. Crazy 8's - Recchi/Lindros/Fedyk 6. Bonanza Line Oates/Juneau/Kvartalnov 7. Mr. Hockey 8. Jay "Goulet" Miller as dubbed by Derek Sandersons wife when he scored. 9. Russian Rocket- Bure 10. Boom Boom Geoffrion 11. The Grim Reaper 12. Wild Thing or The Planet- Al Iafrate 13. Cujo 14. Felix "The Cat" Potvin 15. Rocket Richard 16. St. Patrick Roy 17. Captain Canada- Ryan Smyth 18. Beezer = Vanbiesbrouck 19. Little Ball Of Hate- No not Marchand, Pat Verbeek 20. Solo Ed Mio--NHL2Nite phrase more than a name 21. Chicken Parm 22. Finnish Flash 23. Foppa These are just off of the top of my head, yet don't recall the Taz name...These were all before the social media as we know it today, just from broadcasts, papers,magazines and NHL 2 Nite on ESPN2 with Buccigross, Melrose, Ferraro..PAUL KARIYA "CHA CHA CHA"....I'd be willing to bet those  who claim not to of heard taz have heard of most of these if not all of them. Have you?, Cause if not, I have to question your fanhood!!
    Posted by kelvana33

Ya, Kel I used to read the Boston Globe in the Saint Mary's University library 2 weeks after it was issued, so I'm quite aware that the internet wasn't in play when Taz played. I used to listen to the games on the flippin radio in the early 80s, but only on clear nites when the waves would cross the Atlantic from Mass to NS. Otherwise, it was all static. So, I'm quite confident in my support of the Bs over the years. Hot air and bluster and frequency of posting doesn't improve your cred as a fan. Nice list, though. You forgot " Magic Man " for Kent Nillson, " "dumdum Domi" and " Chow " for Keith Crowder, tho.  

What is with this notion about announcers allegedly using monikers during broadcasts ??? It is rare, and as I've said previosuly, when they do, it's prefaced with the player's full name and something like " who they call ...." It'd be too esoteric for a lot of viewers, who are not passionate, otherwise....

And ya, Jackazz Edwards is the king of homers, as someone here pointed out. You need to turn off the volume during fights he cover or each one is a TKO for the Bruin !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : I still want to know what we're supposed to ask him.  Maybe, "Mr. O'Reilly, NAS, Fletcher, Oatescam, Bookboy Kelvana, LoyalB&G, and Isla say they didn't know your nickname was 'Taz'.  Is this true?"
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Read the thread, I gave a perfectly reasonable question on the previous page.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : I was waiting for that (quick calculations there).  I was about 9 1/2 when O'Reilly retired, so maybe you're not too far off.  But I remember so much about watching that guy.  He and Bourque were my two favorite players.  My Dad and older brother loved him too.  I pretended I was O'Reilly on the pond and in my basement.  I remembered his number, his choppy skating style, his goals, his fights, etc.  I just didn't remember the nickname until later on.  Just trying to be honest.  That's all.  Apparently I'm not the only one either... Aren't you the same age as me...and you said you remember...?
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yes, by a year. I remember seeing it in the paper after the B's beat my Jets in the old Winnipeg Arena. It was actually "Tasmanian Devil" and not "Taz" but it stuck with me beacause he absolutely shellacked Ducky the night before. Dale had given me his autograph after the game, so I remember being so excited to read the game article. That's why it stuck with me for 26 years. From those days the few memories I've maintained  are tied to Jets games, so I can understand your tie to Bruins games since it's what you got to see up close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Yeah, cause Fred and company werent homers at all. Also, red is 36. I'm 36 also, caught the last couple of years of his career, never missed a game and can't recall anyone refering to him as "Taz" while he played. And Like Fletch said, all we had were the papers and broadcasts, yet from those I knew these. 1. The Flower - Lafleur 2. Great One 3. Super Mario/Le Magnifique 4. Leigon Of Doom - Lindros/LeClair/Renberg 5. Crazy 8's - Recchi/Lindros/Fedyk 6. Bonanza Line Oates/Juneau/Kvartalnov 7. Mr. Hockey 8. Jay "Goulet" Miller as dubbed by Derek Sandersons wife when he scored. 9. Russian Rocket- Bure 10. Boom Boom Geoffrion 11. The Grim Reaper 12. Wild Thing or The Planet- Al Iafrate 13. Cujo 14. Felix "The Cat" Potvin 15. Rocket Richard 16. St. Patrick Roy 17. Captain Canada- Ryan Smyth 18. Beezer = Vanbiesbrouck 19. Little Ball Of Hate- No not Marchand, Pat Verbeek 20. Solo Ed Mio--NHL2Nite phrase more than a name 21. Chicken Parm 22. Finnish Flash 23. Foppa These are just off of the top of my head, yet don't recall the Taz name...These were all before the social media as we know it today, just from broadcasts, papers,magazines and NHL 2 Nite on ESPN2 with Buccigross, Melrose, Ferraro..PAUL KARIYA "CHA CHA CHA"....I'd be willing to bet those  who claim not to of heard taz have heard of most of these if not all of them. Have you?, Cause if not, I have to question your fanhood!!
    Posted by kelvana33

How could you leave out  vladimir"rosey" ruzicka and "special K" dimitri kvartalnov or Rob "cinco de mayo" Dimaio just a few of my personal favs . Anson "dancin" Carter. Glen " Muzz" Murray "lord" byron dafoe

If only our forgien scouting was as good as the red wings then ......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rubberduck. Show rubberduck's posts

maybe TAZ was his nickname but i don't think it was common knowledge, as least not as famous as Turk for sanderson

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    On origin: From the book, "Black and Gold", by Rob Simpson (Ch. 6 - page 78)... "I always said that I fell into the business," O'Reilly laughs.  "You know my skating was so rustic that I literally spent more time on the ice; before Phil Esposito nicknamed me Taz after the Tasmanian Devil, my nickname was Zamboni." So, been around since early to mid 70's?
    Posted by Crowls2424

He sure was a brutal skater especially early in his career. But a truer Bruin you will never find. Gave his all EVERY shift. Im 49 and don't recall the name Taz being overly popular but was used occassionally.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : How could you leave out  vladimir"rosey" ruzicka and "special K" dimitri kvartalnov or Rob "cinco de mayo" Dimaio just a few of my personal favs . Anson "dancin" Carter. Glen " Muzz" Murray "lord" byron dafoe If only our forgien scouting was as good as the red wings then ......
    Posted by LUCICmilan17

Um...I was kind of pointing out how I was able to hear about players nicknames from other teams, yet never heard of the one we're talking about...Kind of the whole point of my post..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Nothing to do with the nickname Taz but can everyone ( at least ) remember that he was one of the best during his time at controlling the puck along the boards with his feet.

I was an adult when he was playing and appreciated this skill he had ( and worked on my own play along the boards because of him ). Hopefully, some of those who were kids when he played can remember this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I do remember O'Reilly doing that especially on the PK.  I can vividly remember him getting a huge ovation after ragging the puck in his feet in the other teams end for what felt like 30 seconds.  I copied this tactic and tried to do the same thing as a youth.  I remember doing it so well in a pee wee tournament in Milton that a frustrated opponent charged me from behind and drove me head first in the boards (some giant from Goergetown).  I was already engaged with another player and got totally smoked by the other guy.  Woke up 15 minutes later in the trainers room with my winter boots already on!  I barely remember going over the boards for that shift but teammates told me I was doing that rag the puck move when I got crushed. 

I will be 39 in May.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonestix. Show bonestix's posts

Brickley referred to O'reilly as "Taz" in last night's pre-game. Kind of funny after all the debate going on here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Nice! I can remember doing the same thing when I studied at Dalhousie. The Daily Grind on Spring Garden was great for carrying the Globe. I can remember picking it up, especially during training camp.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Ya, Kel I used to read the Boston Globe in the Saint Mary's University library 2 weeks after it was issued, so I'm quite aware that the internet wasn't in play when Taz played. I used to listen to the games on the flippin radio in the early 80s, but only on clear nites when the waves would cross the Atlantic from Mass to NS. Otherwise, it was all static. So, I'm quite confident in my support of the Bs over the years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I heard it during the play-offs once in the late 70's and that was from the great Danny Gallivan. After that I didn't hear it again until Don Cherry's Rock em Sock em either # 1 or 2.

NAS? I apologize if I'm wrong. Did you say before you were against having instead of that stupid WHOO! Wouldn't you like to hear Cusick's voice saying Scores!! One of the biggest homers in the business, but his "SCORES" was one of the best out there!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I heard it during the play-offs once in the late 70's and that was from the great Danny Gallivan. After that I didn't hear it again until Don Cherry's Rock em Sock em either # 1 or 2. NAS? I apologize if I'm wrong. Did you say before you were against having instead of that stupid WHOO! Wouldn't you like to hear Cusick's voice saying Scores!! One of the biggest homers in the business, but his "SCORES" was one of the best out there!
    Posted by nitemare-38

that 'wooooo' sounds like a thousand fingernails scraping against chaulkboards

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : that 'wooooo' sounds like a thousand fingernails scraping against chaulkboards
    Posted by BadHabitude

I hear ya on that one buddy! The stupid thing is that comes from a wrestler who had/has no attachment to the sport! I could see if maybe Flair was a local.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I heard it during the play-offs once in the late 70's and that was from the great Danny Gallivan. After that I didn't hear it again until Don Cherry's Rock em Sock em either # 1 or 2. NAS? I apologize if I'm wrong. Did you say before you were against having instead of that stupid WHOO! Wouldn't you like to hear Cusick's voice saying Scores!! One of the biggest homers in the business, but his "SCORES" was one of the best out there!
    Posted by nitemare-38

You are correct.  I think the idea is incredibly dumb and super forced.  It's something I'd expect from the Red Sox.

Having the PA announcer refer to Rene Rancourt as "a Garden Legend" is bad enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Just not true.  You have about six long time posters here saying otherwise.  I've known he was called Taz for about 15 years, but I can only remember learning it after he retired.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Common knowledge in my crowd, so it must just be an odd distribution thing. Not doubting you but it simply was common knowledge. Its nice that 6 posters think so, but my group from the Boston area who followed the team since the 60's have a little credibility too.

As a matter of fact, I used to hate that they called him that, because it seemed  everybody had a buddy that they nicknamed Taz for that stupid cartoon, and it bugged me that TO had such a common nickname... one I heard applied to regular people.

Taz was a common as "Pie."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Common knowledge in my crowd, so it must just be an odd distribution thing. Not doubting you but it simply was common knowledge. Its nice that 6 posters think so, but my group from the Boston area who followed the team since the 60's have a little credibility too. As a matter of fact, I used to hate that they called him that, because it seemed  everybody had a buddy that they nicknamed Taz for that stupid cartoon, and it bugged me that TO had such a common nickname... one I heard applied to regular people. Taz was a common as "Pie."
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Good Post! Chicago born and raised loyal B's fan since 63. Always knew the "Taz" nickname! Fit him perfectly. "Pie" as I understand it is short for "Pie Face" which is McKenzie's nickname because his face is "as round as a pie"!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Common knowledge in my crowd, so it must just be an odd distribution thing. Not doubting you but it simply was common knowledge. Its nice that 6 posters think so, but my group from the Boston area who followed the team since the 60's have a little credibility too. As a matter of fact, I used to hate that they called him that, because it seemed  everybody had a buddy that they nicknamed Taz for that stupid cartoon, and it bugged me that TO had such a common nickname... one I heard applied to regular people. Taz was a common as "Pie."
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

My rebuttal:  I'm right and you're wrong. (It's the same as yours)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

easily the stupidest thread ever created. who is to judge what is "commonly known?"- think about it? i invented a live trivia game, and love when people say..."who would know that?", or "that's soooo easy"- my response: how the heck do i know WHAT YOU KNOW? acquired knowledge is specific to the experiences you have had in your life. if you grew up in siberia, were a huge bruins fan, and only read about their games two weeks after the fact, never knowing what terry o'reilly's nickname was... does it make you any less of a fan? if your dad was a huge b's fan, and force fed you everything bruins, knowing "taz" since birth.... are you a bigger bruins fan? pointless

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

easily the stupidest thread ever created. who is to judge what is "commonly known?"- think about it? i invented a live trivia game, and love when people say..."who would know that?", or "that's soooo easy"- my response: how the heck do i know WHAT YOU KNOW? acquired knowledge is specific to the experiences you have had in your life. if you grew up in siberia, were a huge bruins fan, and only read about their games two weeks after the fact, never knowing what terry o'reilly's nickname was... does it make you any less of a fan? if your dad was a huge b's fan, and force fed you everything bruins, knowing "taz" since birth.... are you a bigger bruins fan? pointless
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Agreed adk, it's so dumb.  You can only state your own experience.  To say that everyone else must have had your same experience, or they couldn't have been a true fan, is just stupid.  Especially when the experiences appear to be more or less even within this argument.  Nobody is right or wrong here.

Okay, I'm done here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

man.... i'm having a good day. i'm like 3-0 today... not that anyone counts, or win or loses or anything. wink wink

Sections
Shortcuts