Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

So did you know that 'Taz' was the nickname of Terry O'Reilly and do you consider it common knowledge for Bruins fans?  [Edit to appease fletch: during his career]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

Of course it is.  Anyone over 35 should know that, maybe even 30.  Younger fans should be allowed an exemption, however.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    Of course it is.  Anyone over 35 should know that, maybe even 30.  Younger fans should be allowed an exemption, however.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Isla and I are both over 35 and neither of us consider the nickname to have been used commonly.

Just because you say people should have known it, it doesn't make it so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I first heard it on HNIC while he was playing. Loved the nickname because it fit perfectly. A definite yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Isla and I are both over 35 and neither of us consider the nickname to have been used commonly. Just because you say people should have known it, it doesn't make it so.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Just my opinion, NAS, don't get your panties in a bunch.  I wonder if any other Sandler movies might teach you about Bruins history, though.  You know that Happy Gilmore was fictional character, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I first heard it on HNIC while he was playing. Loved the nickname because it fit perfectly. A definite yes.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Maybe that's the difference.  I grew up in Boston and watched the Boston Bruins on Boston television.  Maybe they called him that often on your country's tv network, but on the actual local network, it wasn't common at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I grew up in the Boston area and always knew that O'Rielly was called TAZ, a shortcut for Tazmanian devil. That's how he played and fought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I grew up in the Boston area and always knew that O'Rielly was called TAZ, a shortcut for Tazmanian devil. That's how he played and fought.
    Posted by bogie6

Are you over 35, young fella ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

Posted by Crowls2424

Agreed.....I'm 51 and I've known that to be his nickname for a long time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

On origin:

From the book, "Black and Gold", by Rob Simpson (Ch. 6 - page 78)...

"I always said that I fell into the business," O'Reilly laughs.  "You know my skating was so rustic that I literally spent more time on the ice; before Phil Esposito nicknamed me Taz after the Tasmanian Devil, my nickname was Zamboni."

So, been around since early to mid 70's?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

On origin: From the book, "Black and Gold", by Rob Simpson (Ch. 6 - page 78)... "I always said that I fell into the business," O'Reilly laughs.  "You know my skating was so rustic that I literally spent more time on the ice; before Phil Esposito nicknamed me Taz after the Tasmanian Devil, my nickname was Zamboni." So, been around since early to mid 70's?
    Posted by Crowls2424

It must have been kept a secret though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Seriously?  A new thread on this?  You didn't think the prolonged discussion of this on the other page was adequate? 

You should also change "is" to "was" in the title of this.  We all know the nickname 'Taz' now.  The point that several posters were trying to make was that it was not a very common nickname (I don't remember it) while O'Reilly was playing.  I have already said that maybe the nickname was used, but I just don't remember it then.

I watched a lot of Bruins games while O'Reilly was playing, talked about the Bruins, and read about them in the paper.  I just remember him being called 'O'Reilly' in those days, particularly on tv.  Who knows, maybe a waiter was blocking the tv with a table the whole time...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Seriously?  A new thread on this?  You didn't think the prolonged discussion of this on the other page was adequate?  You should also change "is" to "was" in the title of this.  We all know the nickname 'Taz' now.  The point that several posters were trying to make was that it was not a very common nickname (I don't remember it) while O'Reilly was playing.  I have already said that maybe the nickname was used, but I just don't remember it then. I watched a lot of Bruins games while O'Reilly was playing, talked about the Bruins, and read about them in the paper.  I just remember him being called 'O'Reilly' in those days, particularly on tv.  Who knows, maybe a waiter was blocking the tv with a table the whole time...
    Posted by Fletcher1

There's nothing else going on.  Would you rather have a new TT thread?  Oops, too late, yet another TT thread started.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

On origin: From the book, "Black and Gold", by Rob Simpson (Ch. 6 - page 78)... "I always said that I fell into the business," O'Reilly laughs.  "You know my skating was so rustic that I literally spent more time on the ice; before Phil Esposito nicknamed me Taz after the Tasmanian Devil, my nickname was Zamboni." So, been around since early to mid 70's?
    Posted by Crowls2424

You're going all Chowda on this, and making yourself look at stupid as he generally does when trying to mock me.

No one has ever said it wasn't his nickname, just that it wasn't as common as many here make it out to be.  That's been the point since this topic began in the other thread.  Knowing that, please explain the relevance of the above post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : There's nothing else going on.  Would you rather have a new TT thread?  Oops, too late, yet another TT thread started.
    Posted by BadHabitude

I know Badhab, but this is hardly about hockey and it is really of an opinion thing more than anything else.  If four regular, knowledgeable posters all claim to had not heard the nickname much, and you're insisting the we're wrong, then you're kind of implying that we are either lying about following the team or lying about knowing the nickname.  Some remember it from that time, some don't.  It is my opinion that the nickname grew greatly in popularity after he retired, to the point that you hear 10-year olds saying now. 

Perhaps things like nicknames are followed more closely by some fans than others too.  As a kid, I loved the Bruins and could tell you all about the scoring, goaltending, and even fights.  I didn't pay much attention to how the players addressed eachother or what the insiders called them.  These days I have never uttered one of Marchand's nicknames either.  Maybe that's the difference.  I don't know.  Maybe NAS and Kel are lying about everything and they actually grew up in Estonia following men's gymnastics....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I just remember him being called 'O'Reilly' in those days, particularly on tv.
    Posted by Fletcher1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989PoY3LeCA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : You're going all Chowda on this, and making yourself look at stupid as he generally does when trying to mock me. No one has ever said it wasn't his nickname, just that it wasn't as common as many here make it out to be.  That's been the point since this topic began in the other thread.  Knowing that, please explain the relevance of the above post.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Priceless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Priceless.
    Posted by Crowls2424

I really need to proofread more often!

Wow, it sure is the all star break.  Nothing at all to talk about, so this is what we're left with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : I know Badhab, but this is hardly about hockey and it is really of an opinion thing more than anything else.  If four regular, knowledgeable posters all claim to had not heard the nickname much, and you're insisting the we're wrong, then you're kind of implying that we are either lying about following the team or lying about knowing the nickname.  Some remember it from that time, some don't.  It is my opinion that the nickname grew greatly in popularity after he retired, to the point that you hear 10-year olds saying now.  Perhaps things like nicknames are followed more closely by some fans than others too.  As a kid, I loved the Bruins and could tell you all about the scoring, goaltending, and even fights.  I didn't pay much attention to how the players addressed eachother or what the insiders called them.  These days I have never uttered one of Marchand's nicknames either.  Maybe that's the difference.  I don't know.  Maybe NAS and Kel are lying about everything and they actually grew up in Estonia following men's gymnastics....
    Posted by Fletcher1

I'll agree with that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?

I remember the nickname well. I miss the days when guys like him played each and evry shift as if it was their last. Too much money and too many floaters nowdays..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : I really need to proofread more often! Wow, it sure is the all star break.  Nothing at all to talk about, so this is what we're left with.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

And I can assure you that there is more violence and competitiveness going on in all these lame threads than there is at the all star game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Is the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not? : Priceless.
    Posted by Crowls2424

I feel at so stupid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

how about 35 twice plus a few more

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

How does a democratic vote help discern wether something is or is not a fact?

The guy's got a Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459#!/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459?sk=wall&filter=1

Why doesn't someone just ask him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Was the nickname 'Taz' for Bruin Terry O'Reilly commonly known - or not?:
    How does a democratic vote help discern wether something is or is not a fact? The guy's got a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459#!/pages/Terry-OReilly/46500627459?sk=wall&filter=1 Why doesn't someone just ask him?
    Posted by red75

How would he know?  Not his team mates, but the rest of us. 

The commoners can only know if the nickname was common or not.

I can tell you he has an enormous head.  The size of a Buick.  Seriously.

Sections
Shortcuts