Watched Canada Cup 87 and boy have times changed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Watched Canada Cup 87 and boy have times changed

-When a player has his back turned he could get hit and didn't get hurt or concussed.

- Shannahan would have a field day with Messier . Amazing what he got away with.

-One ref on the ice (Paul Stewart) and doing a darn good job !

- Bob Cole was saying , I think Hartsburg, was "concussd and back playing tonight ."

- Center line , two line offisides and the game had a great pace, maybe better than 75 % of the games today

- do I dare bring up the goalie pads .....

Other notes, I forgot how much Bourque layed down the lumber on his opponents , cross checks.

Bob Cole still missed , paused (dead air) and got things wrong

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Watched Canada Cup 87 and boy have times changed

It's amazing what they were allowed to get away with..And that was in the open play era.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Sorry to correct you Legion, but I believe that announcer was the late, but still great Dan Kelly. Unless you were watching a different feed those games were televised thru CTV and they weren't part of the CBC who Cole always worked for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

-When a player has his back turned he could get hit and didn't get hurt or concussed.

- Shannahan would have a field day with Messier . Amazing what he got away with.

-One ref on the ice (Paul Stewart) and doing a darn good job !

- Bob Cole was saying , I think Hartsburg, was "concussd and back playing tonight ."

- Center line , two line offisides and the game had a great pace, maybe better than 75 % of the games today

- do I dare bring up the goalie pads .....

Other notes, I forgot how much Bourque layed down the lumber on his opponents , cross checks.

Bob Cole still missed , paused (dead air) and got things wrong

- back then concussions were treated differently. Take 2 aspirins and get the heck back onto the ice ?

- Messier ? Very dirty.

- Stewart did a darn good job ? UGGGGGGH. Koharski was much better in Game 1.

-The 2 line offsides had nothing to do with the great pace of the game. How about the top Russian and Canadian players in the world not having to trap and and then collapse around the goalie in their own end ?

- Today's goalie pads are taller then nite.

- Dan Kelly was one of the best. Bob Cole announcing ? Legion, go for a hearing test.

Oh and btw, the format on BDC still stinks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Sorry to correct you Legion, but I believe that announcer was the late, but still great Dan Kelly. Unless you were watching a different feed those games were televised thru CTV and they weren't part of the CBC who Cole always worked for.

These Canadian announers.... well they all sound the same.
    Just kidding although hard to explain in writing at times during that game there would be actions or something worth mentioning for example a hard , maybe a late hit and he didn't mention it as the play went . Did he miss it ? didn't recognize whom made the hit ? Pace to fast : )
    Anyway, it's the same type criticism Bob Cole gets.  I do have to agree today's Bob Cole is frightening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Chowdah ,  ever since Paul Stewart came out and said while growing up he was a Habs fan I detested him .   Then again I was a young teen.

My point was I think the one ref officiating was good and considering the pace he did very well.  Sure he let things go but then jabs with the stick and some interference was allowed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowdah ,  ever since Paul Stewart came out and said while growing up he was a Habs fan I detested him .   Then again I was a young teen.

My point was I think the one ref officiating was good and considering the pace he did very well.  Sure he let things go but then jabs with the stick and some interference was allowed.

Nope and nope. And let things go ? More like everything. The Canadians got away with way too much. And Gretzky was the worst offender. He looked like he was in the rodeo. The one thing I agree with is they used to let these things happen without being penalized. There could have been a hooking or holding penalty called on almost every play.

It was the dead whistle era. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Paul Stewart came out?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Q

Chowdah,  you have to admit in today's NHL if you don't have the puck you cnnot try to wrap your stick around the guy to interfere. Game1 and 2 both teams did it and they let em play.

I do agree though Canada did get away with it more. Funny you bring up Wayne, last night late in the 3rd when Canada was leading at center ice he blanetly tripped up a Russian and there was no call.  I literally laughed out loud !  and boy did he give some of those guys stick work. 

This is why I brought up Bourque, theis guy can cross check with the best of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

<cues All in the Family theme music>

Those were the days!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

got tonights final game on DVR,  will watch a little later.

Looking forward to seeing who's officiating to counter Chowdah.

Canada had the 2 best players in the world and the rest of the NHL stars yet the USSR could have won both games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and Keenan had hair

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Russians were really, really good.  Makarov was so slick, and Larionov was just smart and intuitive, and fat-kiester Krutov (well, after 1987) was a bull out there.  Fetisov on the back end.  A pile of guys who would later have NHL careers of some success like Kamensky, Nemchinov, Kravchuk, Semak.  Nostalgia makes that 1987 Canadian team seem beyond belief with the two top scorers in NHL history, the two top points/game scorers in NHL history, the two top-scoring D-men in NHL history....  The list of forwards is mind-boggling.  The defense?  Less so.  Lots of offensive flash with Bourque, Coffey and Murphy, and Hartsburgh and Crossman were both better in the opponent's end, leaving Normand Rochefort as the only guy who didn't top 25 points in a season his entire career.  Other than Bourque, there's not a lot of responsible defense for a pack of defensemen - and Bourque ended up as the tournament's top scoring D.  Fuhr was on the tournament all-star team, but I thought he was outplayed by others.

Canada didn't exactly dominate the tournament because they didn't have the defense to do it.  Throw a Martin Brodeur and a Scott Stevens in there (yes, I know Brodeur would have been 11) and I think the gaps would have been bigger - but those European teams had real talent, and the USA had the best goaltending group with JVB and Barasso.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

LOL....Ive seen some B's Classic games from the early 90's and I struggle to watch them. The play is so much slower than todays game and the skill level looks alot less than todays games. Games were very sloppy as compared to today. It seems there was no flow and that guys can not catch the pass or the pass was way off target.

Also, back in the day the game and speed was slower, so I think the hits from behind and stuff werent as bad, still not right, but impact was less (on most occasions). Plus the defense were allowed to run interference with forecheckers which slowed the speed of the forwards down. Much more clutching and grabbing, which actually makes the game safer for the players. I hate the clutching and grabbing, but I think it keeps the players safer, due to the fact is sort of slows down players speed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

I think the pace of this series though was way beyond the pace of NHL games of the era. Very impressive skill level on both teams,especially the green unit for Russia and pretty much any forward line on Canada

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You gotta love that ol' NHL officiating. with 15mins left in the game he let everything go and clearly Howerchuk's trip that led to the 3 on 1 for the game winning goal was epic. LMAO

Koharski was just as bad as Stewart, that is if you go with the new era of NHL officiating, back then they let things go a little more.

All in all it was nice to watch and entertaining.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BTW how come Yzerman was not on that team ???

I knew while watching there seemed to be missing a couple of superstars as I wondered how Tocchet made that team.  Not that Tocchet didn't deserve being there but just seems Yzerman is the much beetr player, I think he scored 60 around that period.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

BTW how come Yzerman was not on that team ???

I knew while watching there seemed to be missing a couple of superstars as I wondered how Tocchet made that team.  Not that Tocchet didn't deserve being there but just seems Yzerman is the much beetr player, I think he scored 60 around that period.

BH, it was because a 21 year old Yzerman was playing behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Hawerchuk, Messier, and even a 24 year old Gilmour. Tough squad to crack.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That answer never played, dez - Keenan picked Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Hawerchuk, Gilmour, and Brent Sutter - all centres - with the intention of playing some of them at other positions.  Three on one line when the series clincher was scored.

The more commonly accepted answer is look at that roster - Keenan had Tocchet, Propp, Crossman and Hextall from his Philadelphia team.  Muckler had Gretzky and Messier, Anderson, Coffey and Fuhr.  In other words, the two Cup finals teams were well represented.  The line I always heard was that Keenan chose Tocchet as "his guy" over Yzerman who was "just a scorer" - and apparently he was none too kind in his comments to Stevie Y.  Keenan was just a whack job.  There's a story I've heard told by more than one player that he once called Trevor Linden into his office when they were both Canucks and out of the blue asked him why he was such a [cat].  Just to destabilize him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Gretzky, Lemieux and Ducky - don't know if Canada has ever fielded a better line in international play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

That answer never played, dez - Keenan picked Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Hawerchuk, Gilmour, and Brent Sutter - all centres - with the intention of playing some of them at other positions.  Three on one line when the series clincher was scored.

The more commonly accepted answer is look at that roster - Keenan had Tocchet, Propp, Crossman and Hextall from his Philadelphia team.  Muckler had Gretzky and Messier, Anderson, Coffey and Fuhr.  In other words, the two Cup finals teams were well represented.  The line I always heard was that Keenan chose Tocchet as "his guy" over Yzerman who was "just a scorer" - and apparently he was none too kind in his comments to Stevie Y.  Keenan was just a whack job.  There's a story I've heard told by more than one player that he once called Trevor Linden into his office when they were both Canucks and out of the blue asked him why he was such a [cat].  Just to destabilize him.

BB, "look at the roster" was what I was implying. I'm aware he could've moved to wing but like I said, he was only 21. Coming off of a 90 point season, he still found himself behind all 5 of the centers I mentioned in scoring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Don't forget - the Soviets played together 9 months of the year. The Canadians had a 3 week training camp. Just sayin'

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You gotta love that ol' NHL officiating. with 15mins left in the game he let everything go and clearly Howerchuk's trip that led to the 3 on 1 for the game winning goal was epic. LMAO

Koharski was just as bad as Stewart, that is if you go with the new era of NHL officiating, back then they let things go a little more.

All in all it was nice to watch and entertaining.

I think you need to look at that again BS. Hawerchuk gave the Russian a tug no question, but he fell over his own player who fell off the face-off. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

bump

Sections
Shortcuts