Weber and the Grand Canyon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Weber and the Grand Canyon

I just read that Shea Weber asked for $8.5M while Nashville offered $4.25M.  Even if they meet in the middle, neither side will be happy here.

$8.5M?  That's quite a bounty for a guy that young with no major awards. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon

In Response to Weber and the Grand Canyon:
    I just read that Shea Weber asked for $8.5M while Nashville offered $4.25M.  Even if they meet in the middle, neither side will be happy here. $8.5M?  That's quite a bounty for a guy that young with no major awards. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agreed.  That is serious money for someone whose trophy case is bare.  He's clearly acknowledged in the league as one of the elite D guys but a gap of $4 million is massive.  It's hard to recall a gulf in the hockey arbitration process that wide.  Mind you, with the likes of Phaneuf, Wisniewski, Erhoff and now Burns in the $6M (?) per season bracket, perhaps this is why Weber, arguably superior to these players is shooting for a top price range.  Thing is the Preds came in at $4.25, lower than the $ the others received.  Should be interesting to see what the ruling will be. 

I've already heard talk up here on THE FAN 590 and other sports outlets that wonder if any inability to get Weber signed long-term could potentially hurt the club's chances down the road of bringing back their other two prime time players D Ryan Suter and G Pekka Rinne as both will be UFAs next summer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Sounds like someone wants out of Nashville.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

throw weber a bananna ,hes not worth 8.5 million , i take colin white for 500,000

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon:
    In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : Sounds like he'll likely get his way, but he's the 1 guy who's selling jerseys for them. And they made strides as a team finally, getting fans to show up....
    Posted by ipot

While this may be true, it doesn't really matter, jersey sales profit the league, not the team.

Weber seeking 8.5 would be insane, he is seeking to be the highest paid d man in the league, and if he gets 8.5 whats that set the table at for doughty...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : While this may be true, it doesn't really matter, jersey sales profit the league, not the team. Weber seeking 8.5 would be insane, he is seeking to be the highest paid d man in the league, and if he gets 8.5 whats that set the table at for doughty...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Weber's price is too much but the team's offer is lowball for sure. But that's how this works, isn't it? The team offers less than the player is worth and the player asks for too much.

As for setting the table for Doughty, he's a similar but not a better player than Weber so I would expect his contract to be very similar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So he thinks he's worth more than Chara's Norris trophy's and Stanley Cup ?
    Nashville can't afford to lose him but they can't afford to sign him at 8M.
    He'll not get 8M+ with arbitration.
    For argument sake let's say he gets up and around 7M . Nashville can walk away from that contract or sign him.
    If they do sign him it'll be 1year and next summer they're back in this position.
    I think Weber is inflating his number as a negotiating tool and I also think he'de sign with Preds a short term contract but not for 4M-5M.

I know when you sign a free agent you cannot trade them within a year of the signing but does this apply to arbitration cases ?  Anyone know ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

He's good, not $8.5 MM good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : Weber's price is too much but the team's offer is lowball for sure. But that's how this works, isn't it? The team offers less than the player is worth and the player asks for too much. As for setting the table for Doughty, he's a similar but not a better player than Weber so I would expect his contract to be very similar.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

He's better offensively, There was a great article on NHL.com (I believe) talking about how unique Doughty was.  And actually said there should be little bearing of one contract or the other between the two.. Weber is on his 3rd NHL contract, Doughty is only on his second..

The note Phaneufs contract as the most comparable, 6 years 39 mill, but go on to point out that doughty is considered an elite talent offensively and was at the age of 20 a key component on the CA olympic team..

Webers good, but who was the last 20 yo Norris candidate??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS
    4.25 though really? If thats the case, I think they are in trouble. That would show me a team that has an awful front office.. I mean geneally you look at recent contracts of similar players to come in with a comparable number..

The rumor out of LA was 6.5 per for 9 years.. Buying up 5 years of free agency.. I would think that the Wisniewski's 5.5 per would be an minimal starting point for a team that was serious in these negotiations..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : He's better offensively, There was a great article on NHL.com (I believe) talking about how unique Doughty was.  And actually said there should be little bearing of one contract or the other between the two.. Weber is on his 3rd NHL contract, Doughty is only on his second.. The note Phaneufs contract as the most comparable, 6 years 39 mill, but go on to point out that doughty is considered an elite talent offensively and was at the age of 20 a key component on the CA olympic team.. Webers good, but who was the last 20 yo Norris candidate??
    Posted by rolerhoky19

If Doughty managed to follow up on his Norris quality season, then I'd put him in Webers' class. He didn't so I don't. Weber is 4 inches taller, 20 pounds heavier, and out-hit Doughty 211 to 137. Weber also shoots as hard as anyone not named Chara. To me, Weber is the man right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

According to this article, the Pred's offered around 7 mil with between 3 and 7 year contracts. The 4.75 mil low ball was presented to the arbrator with Weber's side putting the 8.5 min figure forward...

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/08/03/the-weber-watch-august-3-2011/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Weber is younger, more agile and better offensively than Chara. I don't expect he actually believes he has a better total game, but he's still a top 5 Dman, and should have won the Noris last year.

If they Preds had any sense they'd have signed him to 4 yrs at 7.25 per as soon as the playoffs were over.

So he thinks he's worth more than Chara's Norris trophy's and Stanley Cup ? Nashville can't afford to lose him but they can't afford to sign him at 8M. He'll not get 8M+ with arbitration. For argument sake let's say he gets up and around 7M . Nashville can walk away from that contract or sign him. If they do sign him it'll be 1year and next summer they're back in this position. I think Weber is inflating his number as a negotiating tool and I also think he'de sign with Preds a short term contract but not for 4M-5M. I know when you sign a free agent you cannot trade them within a year of the signing but does this apply to arbitration cases ?  Anyone know ?
    Posted by BsLegion

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : If Doughty managed to follow up on his Norris quality season, then I'd put him in Webers' class. He didn't so I don't. Weber is 4 inches taller, 20 pounds heavier, and out-hit Doughty 211 to 137. Weber also shoots as hard as anyone not named Chara. To me, Weber is the man right now.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Doughty would certainly have been in the top 5 in norris voting, so his down season could easily be argued as being as good as Webers best season to date..  He didn't follow up his 60 points season with another 60 points season, but Webers season wasnt as good as doughty's was the previous season either.

I see 3 inches, and 15 pounds.. but either way.. Webers got 2 more points in a 160 more games, while being 4 years older.. was a plus 7 verses a plus 13.. played 6 more games..

I don't really care that he shoots 100 mph instead of 96 mph..

Hits is a flawed stat, Chara only had 153, w/44 points and a plus 33 and finished behind Weber in voting..

The best arguement you can make, is at 5 years in the league, weber is as good as doughty, and I would be ok with that, but in that case, I am going to take the younger kid who moves better.. He also throws the best hip check in the league right now..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

It's called negotiating people, each side is going to put up unreasonable numbers and they are gonna meet somewhere in the middle. He'll probably be awarded somewhere between 5.5-6 mil

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Doughty moves better, and is better offensively, but he's nowhere near as imposing as Weber who is better defensively. Also Doughty's got better offensive talent up front than Weber ever has.

In Response to Re: Weber and the Grand Canyon : Doughty would certainly have been in the top 5 in norris voting, so his down season could easily be argued as being as good as Webers best season to date..  He didn't follow up his 60 points season with another 60 points season, but Webers season wasnt as good as doughty's was the previous season either. I see 3 inches, and 15 pounds.. but either way.. Webers got 2 more points in a 160 more games, while being 4 years older.. was a plus 7 verses a plus 13.. played 6 more games.. I don't really care that he shoots 100 mph instead of 96 mph.. Hits is a flawed stat, Chara only had 153, w/44 points and a plus 33 and finished behind Weber in voting.. The best arguement you can make, is at 5 years in the league, weber is as good as doughty, and I would be ok with that, but in that case, I am going to take the younger kid who moves better.. He also throws the best hip check in the league right now..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Regardless; of what Weber gets. The damage has been done. Nashville was smart to go to abritation to prevent offer sheets; but very stupid to let it actually go there. Both parties gave a 90 min presentation. To have a team talk badly about a player & say why he's worth less than James Wiesniewski had to have caused some damage! You can only use the "this is just business" excuse so far. Any agent is going to go higher than what the player is atually worth. However; for Nashville to be that low is pretty lame & I think it certainly made a lot of players eyebrows to raise. Weber is an elite d-man. Is he worth $8.5? Heck NO!; but he's certainly worth more than a JW & for Nashville to argue that point that he isn't is just ridiculous!!

PC please keep an eye on this situation!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A few things are obvious. !] Weber wants out of Nashville if he is serious about playing for a cup team. 2] Nashville is playing the game, since Weber did not bite on their early offers. 3] based on the arbitration #, Nashville can walk away, which Weber would probably want; or he can take the one year award. With a new contract coming, Nashville management was not in a winning position, and Weber will end up elsewhere. With Chara entrenched it does not look like Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

After a players agent presents the case to the arbitrator the player is asked if he wants a 2 year or a 1 year. Doubtful Weber wants to go through this next year so I'd bet Shea asked for 2 years. My guess is 5M-5.5M a year is what he'll get.

As far as comparisons to Doughty I'd call it a draw neither is more dominant than the other. Nice thing is hockey fans get to see them both for a long time to come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

How did this thread turn into Weber vs. Doughty???? lol

Weber is probably worth upwards of 7m/season. Doughty should get similar $ when it's his turn or maybe more depending on cap situation. LA might be more willing to pay more than nashville? 

As to which player I would prefer in Boston (hypothetical because neither is coming here), I would obviously love either player but I would lean towards Weber. He's better defensively and would in my estimation fit the Bruin's style of player better. Doughty is a bit better offensively but Weber isn't far behind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Chara is better than Weber and should therefore make more. Chara makes about 7, roughly. I would give Weber 6. Just because someone was stupid enough to overpay for Wisniewski doesn't mean everyone else is suddenly worth more.

And to all the wannabes in the league, IN YOUR DREAMS!!! THERE'S ONLY ONE BIG Z!!!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Chara is better than Weber and should therefore make more. Chara makes about 7, roughly. I would give Weber 6. Just because someone was stupid enough to overpay for Wisniewski doesn't mean everyone else is suddenly worth more. And to all the wannabes in the league, IN YOUR DREAMS!!! THERE'S ONLY ONE BIG Z!!!!!
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

There's a lot of voters of the Norris trpohy that disagree's with you! Weber finished 2nd in votes. There's 20 defensemen in the league that deserves more money than JW! Regardless; of whether Columbus over paid him is irrelevent in a players & agents eyes! A player of Weber's stature has his team by the grapes. They either say we'll pay you JW money for 3yrs which we can extend you; or we can put you down & make you feel like you didn't even deserve to be nominated for a Norris.
    I think Nashville took a gamble & lost HUGE!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

After a players agent presents the case to the arbitrator the player is asked if he wants a 2 year or a 1 year. Doubtful Weber wants to go through this next year so I'd bet Shea asked for 2 years. My guess is 5M-5.5M a year is what he'll get. As far as comparisons to Doughty I'd call it a draw neither is more dominant than the other. Nice thing is hockey fans get to see them both for a long time to come.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Sandog; I'm pretty sure Scott Laughlin said Weber only asked for 1 year.

Sections
Shortcuts