Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton:
    [QUOTE]I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy. You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history. Before you starting clammering for a spot on this kid's lap and counting your future Cup rings, take a look back over the past 10 years at defensemen drafted in the Top 10. Then come back here, RIGHT HERE, and apologize for being so stupid that you chose to jump on me without having the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject. (Most defesemen drafted in the Top 10 over the past 10 years are either busts or on different teams.) I'll wait right here. Go get your shinebox.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

First thought when he got picked was Tyler Myers from Sabres. Very comparable although he wa picked 12th by Sabres. 
    Proof enough to prove your theory wrong.
    I like this pick only and it's not that I've really seen him play but got a pretty good scouting report from a member here (Chowdah) that has seen him play a lot and had nothing but good things to say about him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I live 10 minutes from St Catherines. I will be going to see a lot more Ice Dogs games next season for sure.I still cannot believe this kid was at # 9 spot.
    Posted by john6345[/QUOTE]

why?  did you think he would go higher or lower?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

B*tch. Whine. B*tch. Whine.  Julien's crap. Flip Flop Tuna Thomas. The Bs will win nothing with Jacobs. Kaberle will lose the cup for the Bs. Kelly adds nothing. Hamilton will be  a bust or will never play for the Bs. Blah, Blah, Blah. Sound familiar? And where did it get you?  

Some of you guys really need to change the record. Yeah, some of the first round D picks have been pretty ropey but where/how exactly did the Bs acquire Orr and Bourque?
    Exactly.

Now listen. Acquiring Hamilton was a no brainer and the best choice the Bs could have made as the #9 pick.
    Next!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]B*tch. Whine. B*tch. Whine.  Julien's crap. Flip Flop Tuna Thomas. The Bs will win nothing with Jacobs. Kaberle will lose the cup for the Bs. Kelly adds nothing. Hamilton will be  a bust or will never play for the Bs. Blah, Blah, Blah. Sound familiar? And where did it get you?   Some of you guys really need to change the record. Yeah, some of the first round D picks have been pretty ropey but where/how exactly did the Bs acquire Orr and Bourque? Exactly. Now listen. Acquiring Hamilton was a no brainer and the best choice the Bs could have made as the #9 pick. Next!  
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

While I generally agree, the Bruins never actually drafted Orr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

I just can't believe we got this kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgpImP6sDk

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewinab. Show Drewinab's posts

I see NAS left out 2008 where there were four d-men selected in the top 10 - Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, Tyler Myers, and Luke Schenn.  All are still with the team that drafted them and all are doing ok.
    But whatever, though I understand what he is saying history really has jack schatt to do with this subject.  What is more important - particulary with defensemen - is the patience a team has in developing them.  Most d-men don't come into their own until they are 24/25 and a lot of teams do not show the patience required with d-men and end up trading them or ruining their development by trying to rush them into the line up before they are ready - that is all that history really shows.  I'm ok with the pick because I have faith in the Bruins staff and in the GM's leadership in developing players the right way. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion - even NAS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : While I generally agree, the Bruins never actually drafted Orr.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Oops. Thanks for the correction red.
    How about Gord Kluzak, Glen Wesley and Kyle McLaren then?
    Yeah, even combined they hardly even make up one Orr but they all turned out to be pretty decent defencemen. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : I have never wanted the B's to pick a defenseman with a Top 10 pick.  It's a terrible, terrible idea.  Please, go look at 10 years of defensemen drafted with high picks. Examples: 2000:  #4 Rusty Klesla #7 Lars Jonsson 2001:  #8 Komisarek 2002:  #3 Bouwmeester, #4 Joni Pitkanen, #5 Ryan Whitney 2003:  7,8,9:  Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf There's just a small sample of ALL defensemen drafted in the Top 10 for four years.  I didn't cherry pick or leave anyone out.  Of that group, only one player is still with his team and worth a Top 10 pick, Ryan Suter. The rest have been traded and stink or traded, or stink or stunk. For the whole lot of you that are blowing ME up here.  I've brought you facts.  All you have is "NAS, I don't like you."  This is why I'm who I am, and you are who you are.  I know what I'm talking about.  You're little girls in the school yard, crying because someone said they don't like NKOTB.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying. It's really all about numbers.
    It is always easier to have a drafted player make your team if he is a forward, rather than a d-man, simply because there is twice as many opportunities at that position.
    I looked at the years from 2005-2009, and high-drafted D-men (not named Johnson), seem to be playing important roles on the teams that drafted them.
       Players like; MARC STAAL, DREW DOUGHTY, ALEX PIETERANGELO, LUKE SCHENN, ZACK BOGOSIAN, TYLER MYERS, ERIC KARLSON, and VICTOR HEDMAN all came from only about a total of about 15 players that were drafted in the top dozen, in those years. If you throw out the 2007 year, where everyone stunk, the percentage gets even better.
    I don't have a problem with Boston taking a D-man with a top 10 pick. Now, if they had taken a goalie, there would have been some cursing, on my part.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

Youve been away along time, maybe you otta go up there and ask them! I dont shine shoes anymore!!!!

Dougie will be a BEAUTY!!!!!
    Because of these things!
    My buddy plays for the ICE DOGS and says Dougie is there best all around player, full of character poise and talent!
    Mom and Dad were olympic athletes
    hes still growing
    Was the scholastic player of the year on the OHL!

Go lay down by your dish or come enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE]I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy. You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history. Before you starting clammering for a spot on this kid's lap and counting your future Cup rings, take a look back over the past 10 years at defensemen drafted in the Top 10. Then come back here, RIGHT HERE, and apologize for being so stupid that you chose to jump on me without having the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject. (Most defesemen drafted in the Top 10 over the past 10 years are either busts or on different teams.) I'll wait right here. Go get your shinebox. Boooooooooooo!
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Orr was recruited by the B's when h was 14.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : First thought when he got picked was Tyler Myers from Sabres. Very comparable although he wa picked 12th by Sabres.  Proof enough to prove your theory wrong. I like this pick only and it's not that I've really seen him play but got a pretty good scouting report from a member here (Chowdah) that has seen him play a lot and had nothing but good things to say about him.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

This is 2011 , Doug Hamilton and the Boston Bruins . Comparing him to what Curly, Larry or Moe did in past years is useless. Bring out the silly stats and crystal ball ! I jumped when they made this pick not just because he plays down the road but because this kid has talent. Great pick whether he is a goalie, forward or defenseman !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Doug Hamilton

2010-11Niagara IceDogsOHL67124658

Ryan Murphy
    2010-11Kitchener RangersOHL63265379

Murphy was, hands-down, the better pick.  You can teach defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Doug Hamilton 2010-11 Niagara IceDogs OHL 67 12 46 58 Ryan Murphy 2010-11 Kitchener Rangers OHL 63 26 53 79 Murphy was, hands-down, the better pick.  You can teach defense.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Murphy's 5'10"...Can you teach him to be 6'4"? :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Murphy's 5'10"...Can you teach him to be 6'4"? :-)
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

I would have been happy with either or. But the 6'4" made me lean towards Hamilton as the guy I was hoping the Bruins picked. Believe it or not sometimes the game is played in your end too. Hamilton is just a tad more intimidating to play against then Murphy when going into the corners or in front of the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Murphy was, hands-down, the better pick.  You can teach defense.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Hands-down seems a bit of a stretch.  He may be the better pick or he may not.  But HANDS-DOWN seems unlikely.

But you're right, you can teach Murph to play defense.  But can he LEARN it? 

And and you certainly can't teach size....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Even though everyone is saying he projects as a franchise d-man, it is tough to project...NAS has a lot of truth in what was said. No one will know. I'll be tickled if he is a top 4 pairing d-man on the Bruins when he is 23 or 24. I think he is a terrific pick, but I only know from what I read and am able to glean from the internet. You all know what a minor league hockey hot bed Tampa Florida is....ugh

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

NAS, you did cherry pick and you could apply the same logic to drafting forwards. PLenty of those guys that didn't work out or stay with the team that drafted them. Although I would say recent history seems to favor your argument slightly, most likely because it generally takes a D longer to develop. Drafting 18 year old kids is harly a science and applying stats and facts inly gets you so far. They drafted a kid who is no riskier at #9 than anyone else they could have snagged. BTW, "pink helmets" is classic!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, you did cherry pick and you could apply the same logic to drafting forwards. PLenty of those guys that didn't work out or stay with the team that drafted them. Although I would say recent history seems to favor your argument slightly, most likely because it generally takes a D longer to develop. Drafting 18 year old kids is harly a science and applying stats and facts inly gets you so far. They drafted a kid who is no riskier at #9 than anyone else they could have snagged. BTW, "pink helmets" is classic!  
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

I didn't.  I went back 10 years and listed the four years in a row, all of the defensemen drafted in the Top 10.  That's not cherry picking!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS- what is it about Hamilton's game that you don't like?  Why do you think he will not be a good player?  Recent years have seen some solid 1st round d-men make some pretty immediate impact; Fowler, Hedman, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn and Myers.  Is it unreasonable for fans to look positively on this deal, given where the pundits had him pegged? Who did you want the B's to select?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Crowls,

I have yet to say anthing about Hamilton's ability.  It's the position.  And give the above players a couple of more years.  We'll see where they are playing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : klesla was developing into a fine defenseman until injuries derailed his career jonsson never came to the NHL due to the CBA komisarek was a very good defenseman until he suffered a shoulder injury courtesy of lucic. all of the rest of the defensemen you mentioned are solid to excellent, mostly excellent top pair guys.
    Posted by drkhela[/QUOTE]

Yes, many of them are excellent defensemen...for other teams. 

It's like all of you had rocks dropped on your heads last night.

p.s.  Klesla was never developing into anything.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of a condescending comment, how about actually stating these facts.  And not anecdotal examples.  How about stats that say early picked D are more likely to be traded by the team that drafts them than early pick forwards.  Since you won't find this stat anywhere, how about stating it's your opinion, and not fact. In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Feel free to review draft histories and player movement.  I've done it.  It's call research and it provides...wait for it...wait for it...stats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Doug Hamilton 2010-11 Niagara IceDogs OHL 67 12 46 58 Ryan Murphy 2010-11 Kitchener Rangers OHL 63 26 53 79 Murphy was, hands-down, the better pick.  You can teach defense.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    How's that working out for Washington and Mike Green?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : First thought when he got picked was Tyler Myers from Sabres. Very comparable although he wa picked 12th by Sabres.  Proof enough to prove your theory wrong. I like this pick only and it's not that I've really seen him play but got a pretty good scouting report from a member here (Chowdah) that has seen him play a lot and had nothing but good things to say about him.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

One player drafted by one team outside of the Top 10 disproves my theory that defensemen drafted in the Top 10 are more likely to shine for other teams or be busts? 

Huh?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I see NAS left out 2008 where there were four d-men selected in the top 10 - Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, Tyler Myers, and Luke Schenn.
    Posted by Drewinab[/QUOTE]

2008 wasn't left out.  I went back 10 years and listed four years.  This point would be valid if I had listed '06, '07 and '09.  Then you could say I left out '08.

I didn't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

It's all gravy at this point, adding a 6'4" 18yro D-man who may turn out to be a top 2 D-man seems like a good gamble to me.  If you have to pay the guy in 4 or 5 years when he is a player then big deal, the cap could be 75-80 million by then.

Perhaps the wise and all knowing NAS should have called Neely or PC prior to the draft to enlighten them on the finer points of the NHL draft. 

EX-LEPER: Thank you, sir. Thanks-- Half a denary for me bloody life story?

BRIAN: There's no pleasing some people.

EX-LEPER: That's just what Jesus said, sir.

Sections
Shortcuts