Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

I have no problem with him not getting to the bigs for 2-3-4 years (like my opinion matters anyway). That is the normal curve for DMen in the first round, no? He's just a kid. I think there must be a lot there for the B's to draft a DMan that high. A forward is a much safer bet for sure, but the draft is rarely about safe. The guy projects to be a top 2 pair DMan in the league. There is plenty to like about the pick. If he turns into a stud and the B's have to pay him in 3 years...so be it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton:
    [QUOTE]You kidding Nas? Then who should the B's have drafted O'Great one... Drew Doughty (born December 8, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected second overall by the Kings in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft Erik Robert Johnson (born March 21, 1988) is an American ice hockey defenseman for the Colorado Avalanche in the National Hockey League (NHL). He was formerly with the St Louis Blues . Johnson, the number one overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft , Brian Boyle Boyle was drafted in the first round, 26th overall, by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft . He played four seasons at Boston College before making his professional debut with the Kings' American Hockey League affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs , in 2007 . I could go on but suck a fat one you hater many many defenseman have been drafted high up that have become studs.
    Posted by RechsimusMaximus[/QUOTE]

I stated that most Top 10 defensemen flourish elsewhere or are busts.  You give me the #1 overall from one year, the #2 overall from another...and a forward who, at 26 years old, has 33 NHL goals.

What does this have to do with my statement?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]There is nothing to say that recent top drafted D go play elsewhere anymore than forwards.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Well, there are those things called stats.  Facts are also available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : All is good in my world, my friend.  I'm allowed to hate the pick, aren't I?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Touche`

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy. You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history. Before you starting clammering for a spot on this kid's lap and counting your future Cup rings, take a look back over the past 10 years at defensemen drafted in the Top 10. Then come back here, RIGHT HERE, and apologize for being so stupid that you chose to jump on me without having the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject. (Most defesemen drafted in the Top 10 over the past 10 years are either busts or on different teams.) I'll wait right here. Go get your shinebox.

Not to sound condesending; but didn't Ray Bourque go 8th overall? However; NAS I do see your point. Taking a look at some of the B's drafts in d-men over the years.
     2005 Matt Lashoff- 22 overall
    2003 Mark Stuart- 21 overall
    2001 Shaone Morrison- 19 overall
    2000 Lars Jonsson- 7 overall- This guy was a supposedly a can't miss
    1999 NIck Boynton- 21 overall; but was a 5th overall by the Caps in an earlier draft.
    1996 Jonathan Aitken- 8 overall; another one that was a can't miss.

A few guys on this list I remember the scouts being ALLL over them! With D-men NAS has a valid point. Even Eric Johnson. The Blues gave up on him; because he wasn't acting like a #1 overall. And as NAS has said; by the time their new contract is up they're often moved.
    I'm happy about Hamilton too & the scouts could be right; but I don't think it's fair to jump all over the guy just because he's apprehensive about a d-man actually being all that he's made out to be!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

I'm watching the live chat stream on CBC.  Everyone is saying that the Kaberle trade makes up for the Kessel trade.  Wow, I thought Canadiens were smart hockey guys.  Or is it just Leafs fans that are that dilusional?

However, I do think Colburne will be an NHLer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm watching the live chat stream on CBC.  Everyone is saying that the Kaberle trade makes up for the Kessel trade.  Wow, I thought Canadiens were smart hockey guys.  Or is it just Leafs fans that are that dilusional? However, I do think Colburne will be an NHLer.
    Posted by Babajingo[/QUOTE]
    Kaberle is a Cup winner. Colbourne might be a good NHL player. Works for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Well, there are those things called stats.  Facts are also available.
    Nas, did you not assume(like the rest of us) that Boston would pick the best D-man available at #9?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]At just a few days past 18, he'll be in the OHL next season, and most likely the season following that.  He'll come to Boston to play his three year ELD and when he's 23, he'll demand stud D money...and end up elsewhere. First round defensemen are generally a bad idea.

So about the time he bolts we should be signing Larsson? Nice!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Of course we won't know for a few years how good a pick this was.  But we all have to admit, none of us expected him to still be on the board at number 9

It was a no brainer pick for Boston and may turn out to be an awesome one.  I'm certainly happy with it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I'm watching the live chat stream on CBC.  Everyone is saying that the Kaberle trade makes up for the Kessel trade.  Wow, I thought Canadiens were smart hockey guys.  Or is it just Leafs fans that are that dilusional? However, I do think Colburne will be an NHLer.
    Posted by Babajingo[/QUOTE]

Yes, Leafs fans are delusional.

and it's CanadiAns, not CanadiEns. Canadiens refers to a very small segment of the Quebecois population.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

6-foot-4.  And nasty.  Max Pacioretty is at home crying asking his mommy for another Chips Ahoy cookie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Yes, Leafs fans are delusional. and it's CanadiAns, not CanadiEns. Canadiens refers to a very small segment of the Quebecois population.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

My bad.  Its what you get when a half a handle of vodka is gone.
    Next up, I plan on screwing up something about Russians. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Nas, did you not assume(like the rest of us) that Boston would pick the best D-man available at #9?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I have never wanted the B's to pick a defenseman with a Top 10 pick.  It's a terrible, terrible idea.  Please, go look at 10 years of defensemen drafted with high picks.

Examples:

2000:  #4 Rusty Klesla #7 Lars Jonsson

2001:  #8 Komisarek

2002:  #3 Bouwmeester, #4 Joni Pitkanen, #5 Ryan Whitney

2003:  7,8,9:  Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf

There's just a small sample of ALL defensemen drafted in the Top 10 for four years.  I didn't cherry pick or leave anyone out.  Of that group, only one player is still with his team and worth a Top 10 pick, Ryan Suter.

The rest have been traded and stink or traded, or stink or stunk.

For the whole lot of you that are blowing ME up here.  I've brought you facts.  All you have is "NAS, I don't like you."  This is why I'm who I am, and you are who you are.  I know what I'm talking about.  You're little girls in the school yard, crying because someone said they don't like NKOTB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : I have never wanted the B's to pick a defenseman with a Top 10 pick.  It's a terrible, terrible idea.  Please, go look at 10 years of defensemen drafted with high picks. Examples: 2000:  #4 Rusty Klesla #7 Lars Jonsson 2001:  #8 Komisarek 2002:  #3 Bouwmeester, #4 Joni Pitkanen, #5 Ryan Whitney 2003:  7,8,9:  Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf There's just a small sample of ALL defensemen drafted in the Top 10 for four years.  I didn't cherry pick or leave anyone out.  Of that group, only one player is still with his team and worth a Top 10 pick, Ryan Suter. The rest have been traded and stink or traded, or stink or stunk. For the whole lot of you that are blowing ME up here.  I've brought you facts.  All you have is "NAS, I don't like you."  This is why I'm who I am, and you are who you are.  I know what I'm talking about.  You're little girls in the school yard, crying because someone said they don't like NKOTB.
    I didn't say I don't like you......I just don't put a huge amount of stock in the fact a player gets traded. What that tells me is that these guys had value and that's why teams came looking. Most of the guys you've named will go on to have good NHL careers. I don't mind Boston drafting a kid that's expected to go back to junior. There's no sense of urgency regarding their depth. I personally would've been disappointed if they drafted another center.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : I didn't say I don't like you......I just don't put a huge amount of stock in the fact a player gets traded. What that tells me is that these guys had value and that's why teams came looking. Most of the guys you've named will go on to have good NHL careers. I don't mind Boston drafting a kid that's expected to go back to junior. There's no sense of urgency regarding their depth. I personally would've been disappointed if they drafted another center.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The rant wasn't directed at you, Dez.  It was for the Pink Helmets who know absolutely nothing more than they don't like when someone says something they don't agree with.

And they come at me and blow me up with nothing.  I bring facts pertaining to the subject.  They bring their big shoes and stomp and cry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- what is it about Hamilton's game that you don't like?  Why do you think he will not be a good player? 

Recent years have seen some solid 1st round d-men make some pretty immediate impact; Fowler, Hedman, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn and Myers.  Is it unreasonable for fans to look positively on this deal, given where the pundits had him pegged?

Who did you want the B's to select?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

NAS, if you didn't want the Bruins to pick a defenseman at #9, who would you have liked them to pick?  Or would you have liked them to trade the pick (I wouldn't have been opposed to that)?

After the Bruins picked Hamilton, 12 forwards and 9 defensemen were picked.  But 7 of those 9 were picked between #10 and #20.  It seems to me that the GM's favored the defensemen early in this year's draft and Chiarelli made sure he got what he thought was one of if not THE best defenseman in the draft.

So, like many on here, I will go on record saying I like this pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : The rant wasn't directed at you, Dez.  It was for the Pink Helmets who know absolutely nothing more than they don't like when someone says something they don't agree with. And they come at me and blow me up with nothing.  I bring facts pertaining to the subject.  They bring their big shoes and stomp and cry.
    I knew it wasn't. I'm just taking advantage of your good mood. It's all good home-slice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Yes, Leafs fans are delusional. and it's CanadiAns, not CanadiEns. Canadiens refers to a very small segment of the Quebecois population.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Canadien.... more proper.  Red, you got your wish with the "Jets".  

Thread Topic:  Doug Hamilton, and all of a sudden no Murphy talk.  My book is the junior league pundits on here are very pleased the Bs drafted Hamilton!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from drkhela. Show drkhela's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : I have never wanted the B's to pick a defenseman with a Top 10 pick.  It's a terrible, terrible idea.  Please, go look at 10 years of defensemen drafted with high picks. Examples: 2000:  #4 Rusty Klesla #7 Lars Jonsson 2001:  #8 Komisarek 2002:  #3 Bouwmeester, #4 Joni Pitkanen, #5 Ryan Whitney 2003:  7,8,9:  Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf There's just a small sample of ALL defensemen drafted in the Top 10 for four years.  I didn't cherry pick or leave anyone out.  Of that group, only one player is still with his team and worth a Top 10 pick, Ryan Suter. The rest have been traded and stink or traded, or stink or stunk. For the whole lot of you that are blowing ME up here.  I've brought you facts.  All you have is "NAS, I don't like you."  This is why I'm who I am, and you are who you are.  I know what I'm talking about.  You're little girls in the school yard, crying because someone said they don't like NKOTB.

klesla was developing into a fine defenseman until injuries derailed his career

jonsson never came to the NHL due to the CBA

komisarek was a very good defenseman until he suffered a shoulder injury courtesy of lucic.

all of the rest of the defensemen you mentioned are solid to excellent, mostly excellent top pair guys.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Canadien.... more proper.  Red, you got your wish with the "Jets".   Thread Topic:  Doug Hamilton, and all of a sudden no Murphy talk.  My book is the junior league pundits on here are very pleased the Bs drafted Hamilton!
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Um... I wanted them name anything BUT the Jets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Instead of a condescending comment, how about actually stating these facts.  And not anecdotal examples.  How about stats that say early picked D are more likely to be traded by the team that drafts them than early pick forwards.  Since you won't find this stat anywhere, how about stating it's your opinion, and not fact.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Well, there are those things called stats.  Facts are also available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I live 10 minutes from St Catherines. I will be going to see a lot more Ice Dogs games next season for sure.I still cannot believe this kid was at # 9 spot.

Sections
Shortcuts