Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton:
    In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : I worked for 5 years with a QMJHL team. In that time, we had 3 players selected in the first round, and none of them were in the league as overage players (and one of them stuck with the NHL team right away--he was a 26th pick). Overage players in Major Junior are usually guys who are undrafted or late round picks who just aren't ready for the pros at age 20. Guys taken in the first round are never expected to be back in the CHL in 2 years, and if they are, something serious has happened in the 2 years between draft and their overage season.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Maybe I don't understand the rules properly, Kennedy.  Help me out here. 

Hamilton turned 18 last week.  At the end of the next CHL season, he'll be 18.  At the start of the (second year) following AHL season he'll be 19.  At the end of that AHL season, he'll be 19. 

Seeing as he won't turn 20 at any time during the second AHL season in question, and won't have four years of juniors, will he be able to play in the AHL?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : .........or maybe he'll be hit by a bus. What's wrong buddy? It would seem winning Stanley Cups upsets you somehow.
    Posted by dezaruchi

All is good in my world, my friend.  I'm allowed to hate the pick, aren't I?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Maybe I don't understand the rules properly, Kennedy.  Help me out here.  Hamilton turned 18 last week.  At the end of the next CHL season, he'll be 18.  At the start of the (second year) following AHL season he'll be 19.  At the end of that AHL season, he'll be 19.  Seeing as he won't turn 20 at any time during the second AHL season in question, and won't have four years of juniors, will he be able to play in the AHL?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It goes by birth year, not actual age. Dougie is a 93 birthday, so in 2012-13, he'll be considered 20 even though he won't actually turn 20 until after the season.

Guys in their draft year are 18s. If Dougie was considered a 17, he wouldn't be eligible for the draft until next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy.

You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history.

By "they" do you mean a Stanley Cup winning GM (Chia) and President (Neely)?

Because I am going to side with the guys who put together a Stanley Cup Champion over a surly, arrogant, boston.com poster who fancies himself as the authority on Hockey.

Let's go Bruins! DA, DA, DA, DA, DA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : It goes by birth year, not actual age. Dougie is a 93 birthday, so in 2012-13, he'll be considered 20 even though he won't actually turn 20 until after the season. Guys in their draft year are 18s.
    Posted by Kennedy97

I got confused by his birthdate being so late.

I retract his second year back in the OHL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Experts are experts for a reason. They see these guys 1 bajillion more than we do. Those experts unanimously had Hamilton going no later than 5th to the Isles.

Of course it's all up to what happens on the ice, but I'm going to go with the experts on this one instead of some random guy posting on these boards.

Just sayin'...THAT's why I am excited about this pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Nas, No other team has won 3 game sevens before, so should i be a negative turd because we did not win the cup with past statistic on our side? Get off your computer and continue drowning puppies or whatever you do for fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy. You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history. Before you starting clammering for a spot on this kid's lap and counting your future Cup rings, take a look back over the past 10 years at defensemen drafted in the Top 10. Then come back here, RIGHT HERE, and apologize for being so stupid that you chose to jump on me without having the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject. (Most defesemen drafted in the Top 10 over the past 10 years are either busts or on different teams.) I'll wait right here. Go get your shinebox.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

With your own argument in pl, have you ever seen Schlieffle play?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I love how people who truly have never seen the kid for one second before tonight's game are all on his jock, and yet I make a statement about drafting in general and I'm the bad guy. You love the pick because of what THEY say.  I hate the pick because of history. Before you starting clammering for a spot on this kid's lap and counting your future Cup rings, take a look back over the past 10 years at defensemen drafted in the Top 10. Then come back here, RIGHT HERE, and apologize for being so stupid that you chose to jump on me without having the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject. (Most defesemen drafted in the Top 10 over the past 10 years are either busts or on different teams.) I'll wait right here. Go get your shinebox.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I've seen him play 4 or 5 times in person. He's pretty darn good. Can stand to get bigger, but what draft pick can't afford to get bigger physically? I know you're not talking to me, but I like the pick. I personally don't think he'll be the best defensemen in the NHL, but I think he can be solid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Experts are experts for a reason. They see these guys 1 bajillion more than we do. Those experts unanimously had Hamilton going no later than 5th to the Isles.
    Posted by asmaha

And the "experts" blew it.  That's the best/worst example in the history of the world.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : With your own argument in pl, have you ever seen Schlieffle play?
    Posted by red75

Entirely different subject. 

I'm not suggesting that this kid won't be a good or great defenseman.  I'm suggesting that he'll be whatever he'll be somewhere else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nas, No other team has won 3 game sevens before, so should i be a negative turd because we did not win the cup with past statistic on our side?
    Posted by MDsizzle

That doens't even make sense.

Try again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : That doens't even make sense. Try again.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Find a first grader and ask them to explain it to you there hot shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RechsimusMaximus. Show RechsimusMaximus's posts

You kidding Nas?

Then who should the B's have drafted O'Great one...

Drew Doughty (born December 8, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected second overall by the Kings in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Erik Robert Johnson (born March 21, 1988) is an American ice hockey defenseman for the Colorado Avalanche in the National Hockey League (NHL). He was formerly with the St Louis Blues. Johnson, the number one overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft,

Brian Boyle
    Boyle was drafted in the first round, 26th overall, by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He played four seasons at Boston College before making his professional debut with the Kings' American Hockey League affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs, in 2007.

I could go on but suck a fat one you hater many many defenseman have been drafted high up that have become studs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There is nothing to say that recent top drafted D go play elsewhere anymore than forwards. Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, Brent Seabrook.  There is some validity that drafting D is riskier because it's harder to project who will be a star.  It's also true that sometimes they take longer to develop. thought that is not true of Doughty. Nonetheless, drafting a successful D can be a huge move for an organization.  I think this was a real solid pick, though I still wish they drafted Ryan Murphy. I think he has the potential to be a special talent if he can make it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton : Entirely different subject.  I'm not suggesting that this kid won't be a good or great defenseman.  I'm suggesting that he'll be whatever he'll be somewhere else.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So, based on what I've read of yours, you're saying the B's won't step up and pay him 'stud d' money?

When warranted, this regime pays.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Whomever the Leafs pick will be almost immediately deemed by Toronto sports media as the one to lead them to the Cup next season.  Seems like its been like that for quite some time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

What is next?  Is Tyler Biggs sliding to #40?

This did not happen, he went to the Leafs at #22.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Brian Burke looks and sounds like he is drunk.  Do you think that he hit the scotch after Dougie Hamilton slipped to #9?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

What is next?  Is Tyler Biggs sliding to #40? This did not happen, he went to the Leafs at #22.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

He was being compared to Lucic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Guys I would like to still be there at #40 (in no order)

1.) Matt Puempel (LW/RW)
    2.) Vladislav Namestnikov (Centre)
    3.) Zack Phillips (Centre)
    4.) Ty Rattie (RW)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Also, one correction to what I wrote...given his young age (I misread his birthdate as JAN when it's JUN) it MAY be possible that Dougie could be in the OHL in 2 years. However, he will be eligible to play in the AHL at that time

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I wanted Murp but this not a bad choice, he is a gamer and comes from good stock.

Athleticism runs in the Hamilton family: his father, Doug, was an Olympic rower for Canada, winning a bronze medal in 1984 and also competing in 1988; his mother, Lynn, competed on Canada’s basketball team at the 1984 Olympics and won World Championship gold and bronze medals; and his older brother, Freddie, was selected 129th overall by San Jose in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and also plays for Niagara in the OHL.

What I also like about him...
    In 2009-10, he was named to the OHL Second All-Rookie Team, the Niagara Ice Dog’s Rookie of the Year and honored as the OHL’s Top Academic High School Student.
    ...you can't teach smarts.

by the by Phi got the player just ahead of us that will replace Carter. Couturier is going to be a stud.

Dougie will get another year in junior solidify the Canadian Junior D for a gold and play for the B's the following year in replace of either Boy or McQ. Then again maybe he makes the team straight out even tho it would not be the julien way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IThank You Leafs-loln Response to Welcome to the Bruins Dougie Hamilton:
    Our new D Star?
    Posted by red75

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot
    So should we be more excited if he was drafted in the last round? The kid was the 2nd defenceman taken in the draft so he must have something going for him.

Sections
Shortcuts