Well done, Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Well done, Bruins

In Response to Re: Well done, Bruins:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well done, Bruins : The moronic rioters made international news, and lead the news cycle in Canada. I wonder if people outside of Vancouver have heard that a rapidly put together Facebook campaign has resulted in over 20,000 people voluntarily coming downtown with brooms, shovels, etc. to clean up the mess made by the idiots.  Within a day, downtown Vancouver was looking like its old self, thanks to people who really care about the city.  Also, another great thing:  people were using their smartphones to capture the rioters, and are posting their photos on various web sites to get people to ID them.  If rioters think they can cause havoc in the Web 2.0 world and remain anonymous, they have another thing coming.  Already, I've heard about people being fired from their jobs, losing scholarships, being expelled from their schools and  not being able to attend their graduations.  There are costs associated with being a moron, as these are learning.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

49, that is a lot of good news out of a bad news situation.  Watching some of those people, who looked like they were having fun, was infuriating from any distance.  I have visited Vancouver and it is a beautiful city.  I am glad that people are being caught and having to answer and pay the price for what they thought was anonymous violence.  I hope the penalties are stiff, because they were truly kicking the community and their neighbors while they were already down.

A little over one year ago was an all-time low for me as a Bruins fan -- losing 4 straight to the hated Flyers in the playoffs and making history with that failure.  It only took 13 months for complete and total redemption.  Maybe your case will be the same.  Hope not, because I'd like to see a repeat, but maybe...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's not a common feeling - there's always a gentle animosity towards the States pretty much anywhere in Canada, but in tems of one on one interactions with Americans, I've never really seen any sort of dislike for Americans while I've lived here. We're right on the border for Pete's sake. I can't go a day without seeing a Washington licence plate.

Vancouverites, by and large, are fairly insular - it's not an easy town to make friends with the locals, even for fellow Canadians - but there's not a strong Anti-American sentiment here in particular.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats to the Bruins -- Stanley Cup Champions. Man, it hurts to say that, but the Bs played the perfect road game.  Gave the Canucks very little space, no really good  looks, and cleared every rebound.  Thomas shut the door. The Bs got a couple lucky bounces on some goals, and the Canucks couldn't buy a bounce. In the end, the Canucks simply can't have their top 4 salary guys (Luongo, Sedin, Sedin and Kesler) not bring their 'A' game to the most important 7 games of the season, and expect to beat a team as good as Boston. I hope the Bs fans took note that virtually everyone in the building stayed for the Cup presentation, and gave great ovations to Thomas and our local boy Lucic.  Really, the only boos were reserved for Bergeron and (understandably) Boychuk.  Well, of course, Bettman got the biggest razz, but he deserves it. Losing two years in a row to the Cup winners teaches a team lessons, and the Canucks will be back next year, with a vengeance. 
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    The Canucks won't be back with a vengeance if Roberto Luongo is their goalie .If I was GM of Vancouver I could not go forward with RL as my goalie .The Sedins are fairly young and this will be a learning experience for them but the Canucks are a few players away from being truly great.I think the 2nd line needs a boost ,Kesler can't do it all by himself

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well done, Bruins : The Canucks won't be back with a vengeance if Roberto Luongo is their goalie .If I was GM of Vancouver I could not go forward with RL as my goalie .The Sedins are fairly young and this will be a learning experience for them but the Canucks are a few players away from being truly great.I think the 2nd line needs a boost ,Kesler can't do it all by himself
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

they could simply do what Boston did last year with Thomas and Rask - keep both Lou and Schneider, but give Schneider the starter's job, and hopefully that lights a fire under Lou like it did for TT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well done, Bruins : they could simply do what Boston did last year with Thomas and Rask - keep both Lou and Schneider, but give Schneider the starter's job, and hopefully that lights a fire under Lou like it did for TT.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Shhh! no helping out the enemy... Although wouldn't it be nice to beat them 2 years running?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well done, Bruins : The Canucks won't be back with a vengeance if Roberto Luongo is their goalie .If I was GM of Vancouver I could not go forward with RL as my goalie .The Sedins are fairly young and this will be a learning experience for them but the Canucks are a few players away from being truly great.I think the 2nd line needs a boost ,Kesler can't do it all by himself

Two years ago, Luongo had never been past the second round.  Last year, he won an Olympic Gold Medal, and this year, got us past our nemesis (Hawks), and got us within 1 game of winning the Cup.  In his three wins, the Canucks provided a total of 5 goals of support -- in essence, he won those games himself.  In the four losses, the team provided a total of 3 goals.  You can't hang the loss of a Cup on a goalie when your team isn't scoring goals.  To me, the key to the series was Thomas.  He was playing lights out, and was, essentially, a sheet of plywood in front of the Bruins goal.  Pick any other goalie, aside from  TT, in the Canucks' net, and the result would have either been the same, or the Bruins would have beaten a different team in the Final. 

Certainly, Luongo had his bad moments, and could have played better, but you could say that about a lot of the Canucks' top players. To hang the loss on him is simply crazy.  It's a team game. 

I think Luongo will take this as one more bit of motivation, and will inspire him to get over that last hump.

Tell me, what would have happened to the Bruins this year if people had listened to the chorus of "get rid of Thomas" cries one season ago?  Knee-jerk reactions are rarely the best strategy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

The problem with Luongo is his character.
    Will this experience be enough for him to grab some self awareness?
    Can he actually change and address his weaknesses and his ego?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I believe he can.  From what I hear (I'm not "in the room", so you have to take these reports with a grain of salt), he's the MOST competitive guy in the room -- he's a maniac at practice, and a perfectionist on technique.  He's got plenty of taple to review this off season and at camp, and Rolly's a good goalie coach, so I believe that he can control his emotions and take that last step. 

He doesn't look as "good" as TT, because of the contrasting styles.  Goalies like TT and Hasek are very aggressive, and make a lot of "spectacular" saves.  Goalies like Luongo, especially since Rolly tweaked his technique, rely more on their positioning, and getting pucks to hit them.  Thus, it never looks spectacular, and critics will say, "oh, the shooter fired the puck right at him" -- but that's because his positioning is so good that the shooter has to make a perfect shot to beat him.

I think that's what Luongo meant when he was talking about the save TT "didn't make". It wasn't a criticism, if you listen to his entire comment -- he was making an observation about the contrasting styles.  The media didn't report the full quote, including the "he makes a lot of saves that I wouldn't", because the edited quote made for better press.  And as you saw, there wasn't the slightest bit of animosity between the two of them in the handshake line.  Only respect between the best two goalies in the league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I am not a Luongo fan but those are good insightful posts 49-North.  I don't think Vancouver can or will give up on Luongo and I think if he continues to learn from his experiences, he will be fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gadden. Show Gadden's posts

The Boston Bruins beat my habs!!!  Ouch!!!  The Bruins are the best team in the NHL 2010 - 2011.  Well deserved too!!!

Congratulations

Gadden

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

It's always welcome when anyone posts thoughtfully, and refrains from slinging mud or the usual ad hominem attacks.

There are some things that I've seen in this series, though, that have left me scratching my head about the Canucks organization and fanbase.

The first and foremost is their lack of respect for the Bruins.  I'm sorry - but champions respect their opponents.  Not 'like' - respect.  The Canucks had a disproportionate belief in their abilities relative to the Bruins.  That's why they lost.

When you don't respect your opponent, you are really telling yourself that they don't have as much of a chance to win as you -- and that you don't *really* need to lay out 100%.  There were several times in the Series where I saw the Canucks simply out-hustled by the Bruins.

To me, that indicated a lack of respect for the game.

Rome's hit also showed no respect for an opponent.  I forgot who hit Chara in open ice in Game 7, too, but that was also "elbows high" away from the puck.

Mike Gillis' remarks about the Rome hit, and the Boychuck "can opener" also showed a lack of respect - for truthfulness, for the Bruins, for his team, and the sport.  I've personally known a lot of people involved in professional sports, and he has come off as simply unprofessional and classless.  Leadership matters, and I think that the Canucks' GM needs a long, long, long look in the mirror if they are going to improve - because otherwise, it will be an ugly demise.

It may be uncomfortable for Boston fans, but a great analogy is the current Patriots.  They used to be a very humble organization (for good reason), and overachieved, always respected their opponent.  Lately it seems Belicheck thinks he knows better than most (personnel is a disaster esp. since Pioli left), and the players seem to think that they can take series/quarters off and still just decide when to do enough to win.

Just like the Canucks.  "It's okay we're getting our butts kicked in Boston, we'll just go home and win it there." 

That's a losing attitude.

Winners respect their opponents by realizing that they need to show up 100%.  They don't whine to the media (especially when their versions of things are absurd), they don't take cheap shots at opponents to compensate for their lack of legitimate execution; they play hard until the clock runs out.

I'm sorry, but I lost a lot of respect for the Canucks and many of their supporters during this series.  Their disbelief at losing shows disrespect for the game and ignorance of the nature of sports, and a total lack of self-respect. 

You will never improve until you accept responsibility for what you haven't done well enough.  You can talk 'lucky bounces' or humiliate yourself decrying your opponents style, but when it's all said and done YOU must win - not expect the other team to get out of your way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It is an interesting situation with Luongo.  I think everything 49 says is true and maybe he will get better next year and they will score more goals in front of him, but something about him does not inspire confidence.  He just doesn't look confident to me.  He looks like he fears losing more than he enjoys winning.  I know that's not really fair since I am so far away and know so little about him, but he always looks beatable when challenged.

In the Olympics, Team Canada played that boring Babcock style of play that really limits chances against.  In the three Stanley Cup games the Canucks won, I thought that the Bruins really didn't test him much.  I think when tested, he has the tendency to play worse.

This may be more telling than anything:  Before games 6 and 7 last week, I was hoping (praying) that we would see Luongo and not Schneider.  My biggest fear was the young backup coming in and seizing the monent.  I didn't fear Luongo at all (maybe I'm naive), that's the truth.

I would consider going in a different direction, if possible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

If you were the GM in Van you'd have to ask yourself why you have Louongo locked in at a cap-hit of 5.33m for another 10 years.