What about Ovechkin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: What about Ovechkin?

He might be prospects + draft pick cheap due to taking on such a big contract.  Money would have to come Boston's way too. 

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to MrHulot's comment:

Hm. Marchand-Bergeron-Ovechkin; Lucic-Krejci-Seguin...

Too good to be true

Um.  Caps would something back wouldnt they?   But man id love him in boston. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

He might be prospects + draft pick cheap due to taking on such a big contract.  Money would have to come Boston's way too. 

In response to MrHulot's comment:

Hm. Marchand-Bergeron-Ovechkin; Lucic-Krejci-Seguin...

Too good to be true

Um.  Caps would something back wouldnt they?   But man id love him in boston. 

He fills the rink in washington and the ownet loves him.  No chance hes anything cheap.  Hes their franchise player.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

He fills the rink in washington and the ownet loves him.  No chance hes anything cheap.  Hes their franchise player.   

So was Joe Thornton. So was Rick Nash. Sometimes teams feel better off with money saved and prospects. Maybe it's as simple as depth over star power. I'm not saying you're wrong Shupe. I'm just saying you might not be right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

So was Joe Thornton. So was Rick Nash. Sometimes teams feel better off with money saved and prospects. Maybe it's as simple as depth over star power. I'm not saying you're wrong Shupe. I'm just saying you might not be right.

Yeah, it's been proven wierder things have happened.  Of all the big dogs though, I don't know of anyone who uses his linemates less than Ovechkin. I think he has a very low hockey IQ, and believe his stock will erode quicker than other marquee names.

Therefore, I wouldn't be thrilled to expend the necessary resources to even get into that sweepstakes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Yeah, it's been proven wierder things have happened.  Of all the big dogs though, I don't know of anyone who uses his linemates less than Ovechkin. I think he has a very low hockey IQ, and believe his stock will erode quicker than other marquee names.

Therefore, I wouldn't be thrilled to expend the necessary resources to even get into that sweepstakes.

Me neither Steve. I'm just saying Ovechkin could eventually get dealt for what many would deem to be very little. It happens sometimes as evidenced with Thornton and Nash. Both teams traded stars for what seemed a low return and both teams improved dramatically due mostly to the depth and/or cap relief they obtained in the deals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Boston is an original 6 team.  Nash never filled anything but his pockets.  Depth isnt prospects and picks.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this Steve, but do you not think that he's still talented enought to where CJ could work on his IQ, Chara wouls shape him up & get his attitude adjusted? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I never considered Thornton to be the franchise player.  I would say the team was built with him, but not built around him.  He wasn't ever leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, a man on a mountain so to speak.  When thinking of the B's during that era, I don't instantly think of Thornton.

Nash, absolutely.  He was all that team had for a long time.  Long, like...ever.

Ovechkin IS the Capitals.  They're a bunch of nameless faces alongside Ovechkin.

Gretzky could be moved because that Oilers team had backup ready.  The Caps have nothing of the sort.  I can't imagine them trading Ovechkin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Boston is an original 6 team.  Nash never filled anything but his pockets.  Depth isnt prospects and picks.

The Caps sold tickets before Ovie came. They'll still sell them when he's gone provided they ice a winning team. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you might be. Yeah, that's right! Maybe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Caps sold tickets before Ovie came. They'll still sell them when he's gone provided they ice a winning team. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you might be. Yeah, that's right! Maybe.

Yep, people sometimes forget that they went against the all powerful Red Wings in the '98 Cup.  They fell right off the map (held onto Kolzig way too long!) and ended up with Ovechkin, who ripped them right back into the spotlight.  DC/MD/VA is a good hockey area. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

the caps did sell tickets but they filled that rink once he arrived.  He became one of the faces of hockey in the world.  

Im not saying he cant be traded.  But the nash example isnt great bc he wore out his welcome and vice versa in a dead market.  He was tired of that mess.  joe was a great player and i guess was deemed the franchise player but he played for an original 6 with strong fan base.  

Marketing disaster if hes dealt.  Leonis knows this and to trade him for next to nothing isnt happening.   

Now, if they wanna deal him to us for the same calgary pkg im all for it.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Gretzky was traded because Pocklington couldn't/wouldn't, depends on who you ask pay him. I don't see Ovechkin being dealt, he's so popular there, some people still think he's the best player in the world.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Yep, people sometimes forget that they went against the all powerful Red Wings in the '98 Cup.  They fell right off the map (held onto Kolzig way too long!) and ended up with Ovechkin, who ripped them right back into the spotlight.  DC/MD/VA is a good hockey area. 

There were more redwing fans in washington then caps fans in that series.  Same when they played pitt.  Now its rock the red and one of the loudest barns in the league in a strong market as you pointed out.  Id deal backstrom in a minute before ovie and im still shocked they resigned Green.  Well not that they resigned him.  But for that crazy amount.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I remember the old days when they really stunk but Maruk was still scoring 50+. Even back in those days, the franchise didn't really turn around until after they dealt Maruk back to Minny. They're a real franchise. They don't need Ovie to survive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I remember the old days when they really stunk but Maruk was still scoring 50+. Even back in those days, the franchise didn't really turn around until after they dealt Maruk back to Minny. They're a real franchise. They don't need Ovie to survive.

Oh man, good reference. Talk about underrated!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My favorite Caps player will always be Bondra. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

John Druce fo evah!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Surviving and thriving.  Ovie has them thriving.   Again, not saying he cant/wont be dealt but i dont see it happening.  Unless boston throws one of our top 6 plus hamilton And likely a 1st.  I would do that trade if it wasnt bergie, marchand or seguin.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Scott Stevens.  everyone kinda has a 2nd team.  The caps are that for me.  I loved scotty stevens.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

That's because he was awesome. A pure goal scorer in a goal scoring era.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Absolute sniper.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Absolute sniper.

He landed them brooks laich if im not mistaken.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Rod Langway...didn't the guy start hockey at age 15 or something like that?  Also liked PBone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

everyone kinda has a 2nd team.  

Absolutely.  My 2nd team is the Providence Bruins

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to biggskye's comment:

Wednesday cannot come soon enough, to make this madness stop.

HAHAHA, its kind of funny how different people enjoy different aspects of the sport.  I personally love the deadline and all related speculation.  But then again, Im a weirdo.

When I play NHL 2011 (most recent one I have) for XBOX, I refuse to play a game in my season.  I want to see how I do as a GM, and therefore feel that actually playing the game is cheating.  If I do play, its only either a) the all-star game or b) an exhibition outside my dynasty.

Cheers.

i played out a full 25 years doing that. 18 cups. there's a way to cheat in chel 11 and 12 though, before the trade deadline, all first rounders are viewed as equal. pick the bottom 3 teams, and trade your picks for tehres and you get a number 1 overall

Sections
Shortcuts