What are the Avs doing??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

What are the Avs doing??

Briere for Paranteau and a 5th round pick?? Seriously? I could understand if the trade meant having enough room to sign Stastny but I don't think it has anything to do with that. this is a head scratcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: What are the Avs doing??

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Briere for Paranteau and a 5th round pick?? Seriously? I could understand if the trade meant having enough room to sign Stastny but I don't think it has anything to do with that. this is a head scratcher.

[/QUOTE]

This is a fleece job.  Great trade for habs.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah, the only differences are that P.A. has one more year on the contract and Briere has a NTC.

I guess the Aves really, really didn't want to have him for 2 years. Maybe he slept with Matt Duchene's wife? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Clearing out space for Iginla.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Parenteau for the much maligned Briere is bad enough, but then Bergevin adds insult to injury by getting them to throw in a draft pick as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Yeah but Parenteau had to agree to start his diving lessons with coach Louganis ASAP or no deal.

Bad deal for the Avs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Head scratcher indeed.

Same cap hit, 5 years younger, bigger, more points...AND a pick.

All I can think of to explain it, is the term "off ice issues", or maybe the Avs really wanted that $4mil off the books at the end of next season.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Head scratcher indeed.

Same cap hit, 5 years younger, bigger, more points...AND a pick.

All I can think of to explain it, is the term "off ice issues", or maybe the Avs really wanted that $4mil off the books at the end of next season.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

[/QUOTE]

I don't see what that does for them. In 15/16, there is no big names that will need to be re-signed, and they will have all kinds of cap space.

I really don't understand the moves from some of these gm's. Yzerman trading Gagne for a 6th rounder AND agreeing to pay a 1/3 of his contract? For a 6th round pick?

Did he even try to call another team?

And if Bergevin calls me, asking to take Briere, I would have told him I would take him if the Habs would throw in some draft picks.

If he had asked for a roster player AND a draft pick, I would have told him, not to call me when he's drunk, anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Possible friction with Roy behind this move? 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I seem to recall the Av's exploring a trade with the Scabs at the trade deadline this year but it didn't go down.Maybe they couldn't figure out which players would be involved but it doesn't surprise me this deal went down,Briere didn't seem a good fit with Montreal from the get go,benched or 4th line etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

Possible friction with Roy behind this move? 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-trade-tracker-p-a-parenteau/

[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall the Av's exploring a trade with the Scabs at the trade deadline this year but it didn't go down.Maybe they couldn't figure out which players would be involved but it doesn't surprise me this deal went down,Briere didn't seem a good fit with Montreal from the get go,benched or 4th line etc.

[/QUOTE]

50, Briere's not an effective player anymore with 25 points in 69 games. Not a good return when he'll be 37 by the time next year starts and earning $4 million. Maybe having a veteran in that young Avs dressing room is important when there's young talent trying to learn how to best work like pros but if the veteran, like Briere isn't able to contribute and show that their methods translate to on-ice success, I can't see their effect carrying very far. Props to Bergevin for turning Briere in Parenteau.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[/QUOTE]

50, Briere's not an effective player anymore with 25 points in 69 games. Not a good return when he'll be 37 by the time next year starts and earning $4 million. Maybe having a veteran in that young Avs dressing room is important when there's young talent trying to learn how to best work like pros but if the veteran, like Briere isn't able to contribute and show that their methods translate to on-ice success, I can't see their effect carrying very far. Props to Bergevin for turning Briere in Parenteau.

[/QUOTE]

RHO, that's what makes it such a puzzler. Roy must've really disliked Parenteau, to dump him AND a pick for a guy that looks to be darned close to done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Briere played an average of 5-7 minutes per game during the regular season...he will get between 45-50 points with the Avs .....Parenteau ..I have no idea what he can brings to the scabs..??

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020