What are they doing to Seguin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: What are they doing to Seguin?

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Seguin just got moved to play center following the Bergeron injury.  That lasts a couple of shifts longer than 1 game before CJ pulls the plug on it.  Now demoted to 3rd-line.  Disproportionate accountability being put on him.

Seguin will never be a mucker.  He is not a physical player and probably never will be.  What he has is a great set of skills that are not being maximized.  He owns it from his end, but CJ owns putting him in spots to be successful.  3rd-line?  Punitive.

I don't know about that but what i do know is that he plays right wing on a line (normally) with 2 very good to world class players. He also rarely goes to the net, takes many low percentage shots, tries to beat d-men up the middle to no success and rarely digs pucks out of the corner. He is defensively responsible and kudos to him for that but i would think asking him to be more than a rich mans Paille isn't too much to ask.I think he has been given every chance to succeed and for the most part has but hasn't been able to bring it every game consistently. Until he does that he will never achieve upper echelon status as an N.H.L player.imo. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Seguin just got moved to play center following the Bergeron injury.  That lasts a couple of shifts longer than 1 game before CJ pulls the plug on it.  Now demoted to 3rd-line.  Disproportionate accountability being put on him.

Seguin will never be a mucker.  He is not a physical player and probably never will be.  What he has is a great set of skills that are not being maximized.  He owns it from his end, but CJ owns putting him in spots to be successful.  3rd-line?  Punitive.

Crowls

Bergeron isn't a mucker and neither is Krejci. There's a huge gap from Seguin to 37 and 46, it's just playing the game the right way or not. Nobody is expecting him to do more than that, but if he doesn't at least commit to that level ...then bust isn't out of the question. Jury is still out, but he's kind of at a crossroads right now.

Just disagree.  I have seen some increased jam and commitment from him over the past several games.  Better on the forecheck and several examples of solid back pressure.  Even on the rush, he is not turning it over at the blue-line, he is making sure it gets in deep.  That's progress. 

If CJ did this a month ago, I would be en on the fine with it, I am just seeing improvements in his game and now is when he gets demoted.  Bust is strong descriptor for a kid that already has a 29 goal season under his belt.  Being mindful that's 29 goals in CJ's system, which probably equates to 35 somewhere else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Some of these thoughts on one of the Bruins "franchise" players is nothing bit stupidity. Claude is not exactly a master at motivation, so you get what you get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Some of these thoughts on one of the Bruins "franchise" players is nothing bit stupidity. Claude is not exactly a master at motivation, so you get what you get.

You need to be motivated to be a franchise player? I thought that happened in midget.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Coaches shouldn't have to motivate players at this level... $6m per year should provide enough motivation..if not , then your stealing people's money... Seguin has had enough time in the league to find his way around... Right now, he should be establishing himself as a prime time player that the Bruins need, to lessen the pressure off everyone else... This move should have been done a while ago... I think CJ needs to hold some of his stars to more accountability.. Lucic, Marchand, Horton as well.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

They are messing with his head in my opinion.  I hated when coaches pulled this crap when I was a player. 

They put him at center for a game and 2 shifts, hardly enough time for him to be reacquainted with the switch as well as get comfortable with his new linemates.  Then he probably gets pissed that he didn't get a true chance to show his skills at center.  Then they move him back to wing with a center (Pevs) who has done nothing all season.  Now they move him to 3rd line wing.  I'm sorry----but this has got to mess with his head. 

They should have kept him at Center with Jagr on the wing and see how it goes for a good sample size of games regardless of outcome(s).  Sure he will make some mistakes in the DZone but to do what they are doing is BS and likely to affect his confidence to a degree. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to uppercut's comment:

I couldnt agree more!!! the worst part is you cant teach courage and he is a scared player out there how many times do you see him in 1on1s instead of trying to go around and drive the net ( where good thing happen ex goal or powerplay ) he takes the SAFE option and takes a low percentage shot. Its too bad he has tons of skill but no courage at all look at gallager on mont small but courageous. Seguins been in the league 3 years now and when Galenchuk how ever you spell it is out playing him and seems to be more dangerous you have to take the rose coloured glasses off, He needs to stop trying to be a pretty boy and get his nose dirty. 

He was having too much fun playing in that 2nd tier league in Switzerland.  Playing on big ice surface, no contact , free wheeling on the perimeters . I think it did him more harm than good.

Funny though for Kane it was the exact opposite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to uppercut's comment:

I couldnt agree more!!! the worst part is you cant teach courage and he is a scared player out there how many times do you see him in 1on1s instead of trying to go around and drive the net ( where good thing happen ex goal or powerplay ) he takes the SAFE option and takes a low percentage shot. Its too bad he has tons of skill but no courage at all look at gallager on mont small but courageous. Seguins been in the league 3 years now and when Galenchuk how ever you spell it is out playing him and seems to be more dangerous you have to take the rose coloured glasses off, He needs to stop trying to be a pretty boy and get his nose dirty. 

He was having too much fun playing in that 2nd tier league in Switzerland.  Playing on big ice surface, no contact , free wheeling on the perimeters . I think it did him more harm than good.

Funny though for Kane it was the exact opposite.

I think it has more to do with him not cleaning his room, he became careless and untidy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

They are messing with his head in my opinion.  I hated when coaches pulled this crap when I was a player. 

They put him at center for a game and 2 shifts, hardly enough time for him to be reacquainted with the switch as well as get comfortable with his new linemates.  Then he probably gets pissed that he didn't get a true chance to show his skills at center.  Then they move him back to wing with a center (Pevs) who has done nothing all season.  Now they move him to 3rd line wing.  I'm sorry----but this has got to mess with his head. 

They should have kept him at Center with Jagr on the wing and see how it goes for a good sample size of games regardless of outcome(s).  Sure he will make some mistakes in the DZone but to do what they are doing is BS and likely to affect his confidence to a degree. 

My feelings on this as well. You have the kid playing out of his natural position for three years, and then after one game and a few shifts at center, you basically tell him he's not cutting it. Why not leave him with Jagr for a few games and let some chemistry develop. There's plenty of blame to go around on this team right now. It doesn't appear that CJ has the ability to motivate this group. Another first round exit and he's probably gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

I agree to an extent.  Without our full lineup, it's very difficult for someone to succeed on the third line.  I don't mind this, but I would have put Kelly with Marchand and Seguin, and at least hope that Peverley would have a chance at finding his offensive game with Jagr.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I agree to an extent.  Without our full lineup, it's very difficult for someone to succeed on the third line.  I don't mind this, but I would have put Kelly with Marchand and Seguin, and at least hope that Peverley would have a chance at finding his offensive game with Jagr.

[/QUOTE]

Kelly was eating popcorn in the crowd. I don't think his stick is long enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

Kelly was eating popcorn in the crowd. I don't think his stick is long enough.

Lol.  That could be why.  I was talking about for the next game.  Although if they stick with lines they're going with in practice, it doesn't matter if Kelly is back or not, Seguin is stranded on that third line.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to OrrEspoCash's comment:

Clody Fourlines could turn Sid the Kid into a halfpoint a game player. The mismanagement of offense culminated in the no-shot power play at the end of the game last night. I'm all for firing him and getting a coach who can run a pp and an offense, and give minutes based on talent. Segs and Marchand should be playing 20-22 minutes a night, as well as Jagr. Thornton should be nowhere near the ice when they're down a goal with less than 2 minutes left! The system being used now can't beat NY Rangers, Montreal, or Pittsburg. That spells one-and-done.

Your not wrong

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Seguin now practicing with the 3rd line...wtf is Cload doing???

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TiPit. Show TiPit's posts

I remember Pat Burns holding back on Big Joe; Pat got fired and Mike Keenan came in. Keenan kicked Big Joe and he became one of the best player in the league. With that in mind, I think a change in coaching could be good. A line of Marchand, Jagr and Seguin must play and play and play... need goals out there

I'm getting tired of one goal game, of stopping playing because of a 2 goal lead.. I grew up watching the big bad bruins winning games 8-4, 7-5.  Nobody kept Orr and Espo from playing!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to TiPit's comment:

I remember Pat Burns holding back on Big Joe; Pat got fired and Mike Keenan came in. Keenan kicked Big Joe and he became one of the best player in the league. With that in mind, I think a change in coaching could be good. A line of Marchand, Jagr and Seguin must play and play and play... need goals out there

I'm getting tired of one goal game, of stopping playing because of a 2 goal lead.. I grew up watching the big bad bruins winning games 8-4, 7-5.  Nobody kept Orr and Espo from playing!

I grew up watching '80s, '90s and '00s Bruins team who always disappointed.  I prefer PC/CJ's team that won the Cup.

Back to the Seguin thing, the Bruins top three RWs are Horton, Seguin and Jagr.  One of them has to play on the third line.  Horton scored 4 goals last week.  Jagr is the guy they brought in to help with the offense.  Seguin's in a funk.  I have no problem with him on the third line. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I thought people wanted CJ to punish underperforming players?  That's what he's doing to Seguin.  In the business world, it's called a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan).  Only difference here is that everyone sees it because it gets reported by the media.  Don't worry, Seguin will be fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

In response to TiPit's comment:

I grew up watching '80s, '90s and '00s Bruins team who always disappointed.  I prefer PC/CJ's team that won the Cup.

Back to the Seguin thing, the Bruins top three RWs are Horton, Seguin and Jagr.  One of them has to play on the third line.  Horton scored 4 goals last week.  Jagr is the guy they brought in to help with the offense.  Seguin's in a funk.  I have no problem with him on the third line. 

Campbell is pointless in his last 8 and hasn't scored a goal in his last 21 games.  If Seguin is in a funk, what's Campbell's state?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

If we didn't win the cup two years ago we would all be calling for a coaching change. Claude does have a way of keeping goals from being scored by players who should be scoring more. It's his system and stubbornness. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Campbell is pointless in his last 8 and hasn't scored a goal in his last 21 games.  If Seguin is in a funk, what's Campbell's state?

The State of George Clinton?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Campbell is pointless in his last 8 and hasn't scored a goal in his last 21games.  If Seguin is in a funk, what's Campbell's state?

The State of George Clinton?

Campbellament funkadelic!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

...I grew up watching '80s, '90s and '00s Bruins team who always disappointed...

Then you must have missed something, because the late 80's/early 90's Bruins teams (with Bourque, Neely, Moog and little else) definitely overachieved - inspite of the notorious cheapskates Jacobs and Sinden refusing to add a couple of players who would have made them true contenders. I even remember that the pre-NYI Mike Milbury did an excellent job with what he had, taking the Bruins all the way to the finals in 1990.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Wow. The last time I chimed in on this board about my frustrations with the Bs this year I'm mistakenly outed as a troll. Now the spirit of discontent is everywhere here. But I do share many of people's points across the board. 

The questions are what really is the problem and more importantly, how do we fix it? If we assume its the coaching staff then a change ain't gonna happen until the Bs finally implode this season which means at the very least until the Summer.

As for the Seguin situation coaching has been only part of the problem. Maybe a big part but Seguin still has to  take some responsibility for his recent poor form. And if that means the third line in order to toughed him up and develop his game then so be it. Might work. But if it doesn't and it turns out that management shares the board's dissatisfaction and eventually clears out the coaching staff then its only a matter of time before Seguin moves up lines while Claude is moved out.  At the very least Seguin's position in the organisation is far more secure than his.

Personally I think management has allowed a range of issues to rumble on for some time now that go beyond CJ or Seguin.

Sections
Shortcuts