What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand

Yes Pavelski is "Plenty" but Wilson wouldn't make the trade. Joe is a real good player but I wouldn't trade Marchand for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Point, though, is that there are players out there, and if you find one at the right point in his career - i.e. not after the team has made some significant changes that put him in an even more singificant role on the roster - you can replace BM.

But i'm really only making this argument to push the ridiculous ALL CAPS thread out.  Gasket blown!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand:
    [QUOTE]Yes Pavelski is "Plenty" but Wilson wouldn't make the trade. Joe is a real good player but I wouldn't trade Marchand for him.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Because he's a center and the Bruins have plenty ?
    or is it because he makes 4m ?
    Not wanting to talk trade here but he's as good if not a little better than Marchand offensively and can do almost all things Marchand does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Well, there's a guy who wouldn't be far off the mark of Plenty.  Pavelski isn't the same kind of pest Marchand is, but he is a high-energy guy who is ... tough to play against....  And after two years, he had a very Marchand like career - he had one full season and one partial season in the NHL, with the full season hitting 40 points.  That playoff, he had 9 points in 13 games.  Can't blame him for the Sharks not getting farther; I mean, they're the Sharks.  His next deal had a cap hit of $1.64M for two years.  His production continued to climb, so his third deal is now $4M. Over to you Brad. If it's true Chiarelli is doing his due diligence to see if there's a team out there willing to give a quality return for BM, I like it for one main reason: start the season with no distractions.  If BM sits to start the year, every question is "what will happen with Cup Hero Marchand!"  If he's gone, the quesiton is 'Can the Bruins repeat with Caron, Corvo and Pouliot in place of Ryder, Kaberle, and Marchand."
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Book I was not trying to imply that the two players are alike.  The fact of the matter is Marchand is a one year "excellent"****** player.  If he is asking for anything above 3m, he is pushing the envelop.  Pavelski was into his fourth year asking 4m.  Marchand even at 2.5 a year is a "pest" not worth the risk.  One year does not make a career.  Marchand and Bergeron is my argument.  Marchand imo should sign a short term deal worth 3m.  My guess is his agent is looking at the star dust from the Stanley Cup, and he is thinking Kessel.  Lastly under those conditions, Marchand is not going to win the next cup by himself.  

***** According to legend, Marchand beat the Canucks all by himself!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

My guess is that Marchand and his agent are trying to get the best deal possible for Brad.

I would also guess that PC is trying to get the best deal for the team.

They call it a negotiation people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

My God! Someone has finally figured it out!

[QUOTE]My guess is that Marchand and his agent are trying to get the best deal possible for Brad. I would also guess that PC is trying to get the best deal for the team. They call it a negotiation people.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]My guess is that Marchand and his agent are trying to get the best deal possible for Brad. I would also guess that PC is trying to get the best deal for the team. They call it a negotiation people.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I served on negotiations for three contracts in labor.  I know the score.  Marchand is not playing fair, imo.  If I was PC I would be speaking to other teams on his services.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : No offense, but I served on negotiations for three contracts in labor.  I know the score.  Marchand is not playing fair, imo.  If I was PC I would be speaking to other teams on his services.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

islamorada- any chance you are really Jimmy Hoffa?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand :  Not wanting to talk trade here but he's as good if not a little better than Marchand offensively and can do almost all things Marchand does. Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Show me a trade that an opposing GM would actually do was my point. I understood what Book was saying as a comparable. I just don't see allot of options out there to suggest "Plenty" is all...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : islamorada- any chance you are really Jimmy Hoffa? Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

No Crowls but I've heard Isla knows where Jimmy is buried Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup, I was ego tripping last night Crowls, thanks for bringing me back down to earth.  I still feel and think Marchand is leveraging yet PC is holding onto the future cap numbers.  In that scenario PC is more of a Bs team player imo.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Just saw in today's globe article that Marchand is asking around 4, with PC offering around 2 -- and PC is "shopping him around" (article refers to another article written in Ottowa).

If Marchand isn't going to budget, I say send him packing.  If at 23, one year in the league, he is going to hold out for the payday instead of wanting to sign on long term with the Stanley Cup Champs, young core, best positioned franchises in hockey then his ego is out of control and he's not the kind of "character" player that you need to keep.

Bergeron after signing his contract: (misquoted I'm sure) "it didn't matter, because the answer was going to be yes" -- that's the kind of player you build around; the kind of player that loves his team, wants to win, and doesn't let money get in the way of that.

Let's face it, these guys are all going to be millionaires.  Contract disputes are more about ego than they are about financial security.  Even the scrubs make money that most people dream of.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

“I’m anxious for it to be done,” Marchand said. “I just want to be here and be on the ice with the guys. That’s all I’m looking forward to.” “I’m not thinking that far ahead right now,” said Marchand when asked about whether he might under contract before camp. “It’s just day-to-day. Hopefully it’s done before then.” 

“I am a part of this team and there’s no reason for me not to be,” Marchand said. “I want to be here and I want to show them I’m in shape and I’m ready to go this year. I’m just waiting to see and get it done here.” 

“I feel very good. I feel very strong,” added Marchand. “I’m very confident coming into the year. Im hoping to build off last year and continue moving forward.” 

“That’s the plan,” he said. “You want to improve every year and you want to get better every year,” he said. “And I’ll keep my mouth shut this year. I don’t want to shoot my mouth off.” 

“We’ve talked a little bit about it and hopefully it gets done,” Bergeron said. “I don’t get into details with him because it’s none of my business, but obviously he’ll be taking part in camp. 

“He showed what he can do and his confidence was beyond his years in the playoffs and the way he handled himself. The way he helped our line was huge and hopefully he’s on my side again this year.” 

WOW - what terrible things Marchand is saying.  He is immature and it's all about the money.  Some of you crack me up with your ignorance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]“I’m anxious for it to be done,” Marchand said. “I just want to be here and be on the ice with the guys. That’s all I’m looking forward to.”  “I’m not thinking that far ahead right now,” said Marchand when asked about whether he might under contract before camp. “It’s just day-to-day. Hopefully it’s done before then.”  “I am a part of this team and there’s no reason for me not to be,” Marchand said. “I want to be here and I want to show them I’m in shape and I’m ready to go this year. I’m just waiting to see and get it done here.”  “I feel very good. I feel very strong,” added Marchand. “I’m very confident coming into the year. Im hoping to build off last year and continue moving forward.”  “That’s the plan,” he said. “You want to improve every year and you want to get better every year,” he said. “And I’ll keep my mouth shut this year. I don’t want to shoot my mouth off.”  “We’ve talked a little bit about it and hopefully it gets done,” Bergeron said. “I don’t get into details with him because it’s none of my business, but obviously he’ll be taking part in camp.  “He showed what he can do and his confidence was beyond his years in the playoffs and the way he handled himself. The way he helped our line was huge and hopefully he’s on my side again this year.”  WOW - what terrible things Marchand is saying.  He is immature and it's all about the money.  Some of you crack me up with your ignorance.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Ignorance may be a bit strong.....it's not like he was going to say "f u, pay me" to the cameras.  I'd say the fact that he is still holding out for more money means a lot more than what he says to the press in the interview.  I think very few athletes/public figures ever speak the whole truth to the press (probably with good reason).  The ignorance of believing what people say to the press!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : Ignorance may be a bit strong.....it's not like he was going to say "f u, pay me" to the cameras.  I'd say the fact that he is still holding out for more money means a lot more than what he says to the press in the interview.  I think very few athletes/public figures ever speak the whole truth to the press (probably with good reason).  The ignorance of believing what people say to the press!
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

But what Bergeron said was O.K.?  "Bergeron after signing his contract: (misquoted I'm sure) "it didn't matter, because the answer was going to be yes" -- that's the kind of player you build around; the kind of player that loves his team, wants to win, and doesn't let money get in the way of that."  You can't have it both ways.  You do understand that Marchand doesn't walk into PC's office and say I want $4 million.  That's why these guys have agents.  They hire an agent to represent them and to get the best possible deal!  

"The ignorance of believing what people say to the press!" - Ignorance is not only believing, but wanting to build around that belief. LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

MeanE

Except Bergeron's ACTIONS backed up his words -- the quote was after he signed, not before.  Big difference between the team's central building block accepting a reasonable deal and signing long before he needs to and a rookie saying the right things while still holding out for more money three days before camp starts.  Bergy demonstrated his desire to stay with the B's through his quick and painless negotiation process while Marchand jeopardizes his future with the Bruins to make another million dollars.  Sure, maybe he thinks he's just playing his hand and there's no way he ends up anywhere but Boston -- but what if PC gets a great offer in the meantime and moves him?  He can say whatever he wants, but clearly the money is worth the possibility of going to another team to him.

What you point out further proves my point

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]MeanE Except Bergeron's ACTIONS backed up his words -- the quote was after he signed, not before.  Big difference between the team's central building block accepting a reasonable deal and signing long before he needs to and a rookie saying the right things while still holding out for more money three days before camp starts.  Bergy demonstrated his desire to stay with the B's through his quick and painless negotiation process while Marchand jeopardizes his future with the Bruins to make another million dollars.  Sure, maybe he thinks he's just playing his hand and there's no way he ends up anywhere but Boston -- but what if PC gets a great offer in the meantime and moves him?  He can say whatever he wants, but clearly the money is worth the possibility of going to another team to him. What you point out further proves my point
    I'm not sure if everyone knows how a union works but that's one aspect I have yet to see mentioned. As a member of the NHLPA, Brad is expected to attempt to get fair market value for his services. We have no idea what PC has offered. This idea that Marchand is greedy for simply not signing whatever deal he's offered is laughable. He'd gain no friends in the union by giving a home town discount this early in his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]MeanE Except Bergeron's ACTIONS backed up his words -- the quote was after he signed, not before.  Big difference between the team's central building block accepting a reasonable deal and signing long before he needs to and a rookie saying the right things while still holding out for more money three days before camp starts.  Bergy demonstrated his desire to stay with the B's through his quick and painless negotiation process while Marchand jeopardizes his future with the Bruins to make another million dollars.  Sure, maybe he thinks he's just playing his hand and there's no way he ends up anywhere but Boston -- but what if PC gets a great offer in the meantime and moves him?  He can say whatever he wants, but clearly the money is worth the possibility of going to another team to him. What you point out further proves my point

When did Bergy sign his deal?  Did he demonstrate his desire to stay with the B's, or was his deal a fair one in the mind of his agent?  Especially considering his concussion history.  Marchand's agent may be jeopardizing his future with the Bruins and Peter Chiarelli maybe jeopardizing losing the straw that stirs the drink.  Before Marchand, this team was lambasted for not having intensity and going thru the motions.  Since Marchand, there is an energy that is manufactured nightly by this kid, that makes the entire team engaged.  He was the best forward on the ice many games during the Stanley Cup finals.  His agent is doing his job and Peter is doing his.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : I'm not sure if everyone knows how a union works but that's one aspect I have yet to see mentioned. As a member of the NHLPA, Brad is expected to attempt to get fair market value for his services. We have no idea what PC has offered. This idea that Marchand is greedy for simply not signing whatever deal he's offered is laughable. He'd gain no friends in the union by giving a home town discount this early in his career.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Amen Dez!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : I'm not sure if everyone knows how a union works but that's one aspect I have yet to see mentioned. As a member of the NHLPA, Brad is expected to attempt to get fair market value for his services. We have no idea what PC has offered. This idea that Marchand is greedy for simply not signing whatever deal he's offered is laughable. He'd gain no friends in the union by giving a home town discount this early in his career.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked "fair market value" is the price that the market will pay.  I'm yet to hear about an offer sheet, or another team trying to trade for him so I'd say that "fair market value" is what the Bruins are willing to pay to keep him.  I'd imagine that at this point PC has informed Marchand's agent of where the B's stand and about what they honestly think he's worth.  This far into the negotiations I think both sides have stated what they want.

I don't really get why so many here feel they need to be the devil's advocate and make up excuses for Marchand still holding out.  Sure in the middle of the summer it is perfectly logical to say that this is the natural course of negotiations and it will get done, but when it is the week of camp and things aren't coming together there has to be (at least) one side holding strongly to unreasonable expectations.  Many have said here how PC seems to be fair and balanced in his negotiations and we all know that Arnott has a history of pumping up his young stars' egos to go for the payday.  Am I missing something, or are people really just so on Marchand's sack that they find it unlikely that a player known as a cocky, trash talking punk (throughout his hockey life) is letting his ego get in the way.  Whether it is Marchand or his agent, I'd say the onus is on that side of the fence.

That being said -- I like Marchand, I want him on our team, and I hope it gets done, but if he walks for more money a la Kessel then so be it -- and stock up on those #1 picks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : Last time I checked "fair market value" is the price that the market will pay.  I'm yet to hear about an offer sheet, or another team trying to trade for him so I'd say that "fair market value" is what the Bruins are willing to pay to keep him.  I'd imagine that at this point PC has informed Marchand's agent of where the B's stand and about what they honestly think he's worth.  This far into the negotiations I think both sides have stated what they want. I don't really get why so many here feel they need to be the devil's advocate and make up excuses for Marchand still holding out.  Sure in the middle of the summer it is perfectly logical to say that this is the natural course of negotiations and it will get done, but when it is the week of camp and things aren't coming together there has to be (at least) one side holding strongly to unreasonable expectations.  Many have said here how PC seems to be fair and balanced in his negotiations and we all know that Arnott has a history of pumping up his young stars' egos to go for the payday.  Am I missing something, or are people really just so on Marchand's sack that they find it unlikely that a player known as a cocky, trash talking punk (throughout his hockey life) is letting his ego get in the way.  Whether it is Marchand or his agent, I'd say the onus is on that side of the fence. That being said -- I like Marchand, I want him on our team, and I hope it gets done, but if he walks for more money a la Kessel then so be it -- and stock up on those #1 picks

How would you know if someone has inquired about a trade?  Other GM's are reluctant to put offer sheets out on anyone.  Drew , Zack, and Luke haven't received offer sheets either, do you think they aren't coveted either?  Fair Market Value is not whatever the Bruins are willing to pay him.  You sure do like to make assumptions as to what is going on with negotiations.  In the middle of the summer, the bruins were celebrating a Stanley Cup.  For your information, Brad Marchand is not a Hold Out, as camp has not opened and the kid is even practicing without a contract.  It's obvious to me that because Marchand is cocky and a punk in some of your eyes, you feel he doesn't deserve to be paid.  In my eyes, these qualities are exactly why he should get paid.  The kid is a WINNER!  Look at the track record 2 world junior golds, a QMJHL championship, a Stanley Cup, 2nd all-time in goals scored by a rookie in the playoffs!  It's not cocky if you can back it up!  I am not playing the devil's advocate, we don't know what PC is offering and we don't know what Brad's agent is asking for.  If PC let's him go, there are going to be some po'd people and I am one of them.  Didn't care that Phil was gassed as that kid was a cancer and doesn't have the heart, drive, or determination that Marchand has in his big toe. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : How would you know if someone has inquired about a trade?  Other GM's are reluctant to put offer sheets out on anyone.  Drew , Zack, and Luke haven't received offer sheets either, do you think they aren't coveted either?  Fair Market Value is not whatever the Bruins are willing to pay him.  You sure do like to make assumptions as to what is going on with negotiations.  In the middle of the summer, the bruins were celebrating a Stanley Cup.  For your information, Brad Marchand is not a Hold Out, as camp has not opened and the kid is even practicing without a contract.  It's obvious to me that because Marchand is cocky and a punk in some of your eyes, you feel he doesn't deserve to be paid.  In my eyes, these qualities are exactly why he should get paid.  The kid is a WINNER!  Look at the track record 2 world junior golds, a  QMJHL championship, a Stanley Cup, 2nd all-time in goals scored by a rookie in the playoffs!   It's not cocky if you can back it up!  I am not playing the devil's advocate, we don't know what PC is offering and we don't know what Brad's agent is asking for.  If PC let's him go, there are going to be some po'd people and I am one of them.  Didn't care that Phil was gassed as that kid was a cancer and doesn't have the heart, drive, or determination that Marchand has in his big toe. 
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Nice post MeanE. Agree with this part especially.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : How would you know if someone has inquired about a trade?  Other GM's are reluctant to put offer sheets out on anyone.  Drew , Zack, and Luke haven't received offer sheets either, do you think they aren't coveted either?  Fair Market Value is not whatever the Bruins are willing to pay him.  You sure do like to make assumptions as to what is going on with negotiations.  In the middle of the summer, the bruins were celebrating a Stanley Cup.  For your information, Brad Marchand is not a Hold Out, as camp has not opened and the kid is even practicing without a contract.  It's obvious to me that because Marchand is cocky and a punk in some of your eyes, you feel he doesn't deserve to be paid.  In my eyes, these qualities are exactly why he should get paid.  The kid is a WINNER!  Look at the track record 2 world junior golds, a  QMJHL championship, a Stanley Cup, 2nd all-time in goals scored by a rookie in the playoffs!   It's not cocky if you can back it up!  I am not playing the devil's advocate, we don't know what PC is offering and we don't know what Brad's agent is asking for.  If PC let's him go, there are going to be some po'd people and I am one of them.  Didn't care that Phil was gassed as that kid was a cancer and doesn't have the heart, drive, or determination that Marchand has in his big toe. 
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

21 career NHL regular season goals.

61 career NHL points.

What he did as a kid is irrelevant when it comes to playing in the NHL.

Just ask this guy, the captain of the '09 Gold medal team:

Drafted 4th overall in 2007.

NHL stats:  0-0-0  NHL games played:  0

I don't think Thomas Hickey's agent and fans (if there are any) talk about his accomplishments at the World Juniors. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup agree NAS if you are looking backwards not forward you are bound to be in an accident.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What can Bruins get if they trade Brad Marchand : 21 career NHL regular season goals. 61 career NHL points. What he did as a kid is irrelevant when it comes to playing in the NHL. Just ask this guy, the captain of the '09 Gold medal team: WHL West Second All-Star Team (2007) Won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2008 World Junior Championships WHL West First All-Star Team (2008) Was named Player of the Game in the preliminaires against Germany in the 2009 World Junior Championships Won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2009 World Junior Championships WHL West First All-Star Team (2009) Drafted 4th overall in 2007. NHL stats:  0-0-0  NHL games played:  0 I don't think Thomas Hickey's agent and fans (if there are any) talk about his accomplishments at the World Juniors. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Again another person who doesn't like Marchand's cockiness, punkness, etc...  A team needs to have different personalities to be successful.  A team full of tight lipped conservative players will never win in this league.  You do a good job of overlooking the accomplishments he obtained this year, even though he played most of the year with your other favorite player and received significantly less minutes.  When this kid got the minutes, he produced as good as anyone on the team.  And most importantly he produced in the playoffs, just like he did in Jrs..  You can name a ton of kids like the one that you pulled out of your yookus.  But there is a pattern with guys like Marchand, Bergeron, and Lucic, that have PROVEN at the NHL level that what they did in the past has translated in the show as well.  You know how I know?  Because their names will be engraved on the Stanley Cup!  WINNERS!