What can individuals do to improve the PP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

What can individuals do to improve the PP

How the PP should be coached has been beaten to death. However I seldom see it discussed what individual players should be doing differently. A couple thoughts I had:

Lucic trails only Chara and Seguin for PP time. I think this is the guy that can make the difference in the PP. What I would like to see him do? for starters, I would like geoff ward to force him to watch what johan franzen has done on the PP for the passed 5 years or so. Then make him apply that. If Lucic could learn how to be that immovable force in front of the net while getting deflections and rebounds etc, our PP jumps 5% right there if not more. To a lesser extent, same goes for Horton. 

As long as Chara is on the point, I would like him to shorten that wind up a bit, and focus more on getting it to the net. 

With Seguin, I would like him to think shoot a little bit more, but unless you see an open corner, keep that puck low. 

For Hamilton, when he is told to get off the ice, I think he should pretend to be deaf for a few minutes. I think he's a real asset to the PP.

others?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: What can individuals do to improve the PP

In response to winthecup's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

How the PP should be coached has been beaten to death. However I seldom see it discussed what individual players should be doing differently. A couple thoughts I had:

Lucic trails only Chara and Seguin for PP time. I think this is the guy that can make the difference in the PP. What I would like to see him do? for starters, I would like geoff ward to force him to watch what johan franzen has done on the PP for the passed 5 years or so. Then make him apply that. If Lucic could learn how to be that immovable force in front of the net while getting deflections and rebounds etc, our PP jumps 5% right there if not more. To a lesser extent, same goes for Horton. 

As long as Chara is on the point, I would like him to shorten that wind up a bit, and focus more on getting it to the net. 

With Seguin, I would like him to think shoot a little bit more, but unless you see an open corner, keep that puck low. 

For Hamilton, when he is told to get off the ice, I think he should pretend to be deaf for a few minutes. I think he's a real asset to the PP.

others?

I think there should be one powerplay unit,your best players,and they should play the 2 min or most of it never mind switching after half of penalty over,remember when guys like Orr or Espo would be on ice for entire powerplay

ya, well, sorry to say this, but that's just insane and doesn't work. There is a reason no teams do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to winthecup's comment:

others?

I think there should be one powerplay unit,your best players,and they should play the 2 min or most of it never mind switching after half of penalty over,remember when guys like Orr or Espo would be on ice for entire powerplay

NYRs often use your method of ice distribution for the PP. Their PP is even worse than the Bruins.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The B's don't have a "net front presence".  Marchand or Lucic should be in front, taking an absolute beating but holding the ground.

Dino scored 232 of 608 (38%) doing that, Gilmour had 153 of 450 (33%).

Marchand has 10 of 62.

Lucic:  15 of 94.

They hang out at the circles or the side of the net.  They hang out 10 feet from the paint.  Get in there.  Get the tips.  Get the garbage.  Screen the goalie.  Distract the defender.  Do something more than stand there like a dope and wait for someone to score on a one timer.

(This is not an endorsement of "Fix the powerplay or no Cup", nor is it an endorsement of "they need to fix the powerplay to win".  It is, however, an endorsement of "it's fun to see the B's score.")

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

2 men low... on either side of the post

2 men halfway into the zone along the sideboards

1 man at the point

work the puck around the perimeter as usual

shoot more

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

His name is : DANIEL PAILLE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

2 men low... on either side of the post

2 men halfway into the zone along the sideboards

1 man at the point

work the puck around the perimeter as usual

shoot more

this is the exact opposite of what this thread is about. As i said, PP strategies has been beaten to death. I've heard "two men down low" a million times. this is about what INDIVIDUALS can do to improve their PP performance. 

NAS, I agree with literally everything in your post, with the exception of Marchand in front of the net. In my opinion he has enough skill so he is one of those guys I want moving from the perimeter to the back door banging home one timers. He's too good at getting the puck up high from short range to be the one trying to get deflections and screen the goalie. Let him swoop in on rebounds, not stand there waiting for them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, I agree with literally everything in your post, with the exception of Marchand in front of the net. In my opinion he has enough skill so he is one of those guys I want moving from the perimeter to the back door banging home one timers. He's too good at getting the puck up high from short range to be the one trying to get deflections and screen the goalie. Let him swoop in on rebounds, not stand there waiting for them.

Brad Marchand is not Dino Ciccarelli, but they are of similar stature and heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1NsryBLGOQ

Watch the first two goals.  This is what I'm talking about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Keep the lines, as they are presently constituted, in tact. The KCB Line (keep calm and Bergeron) as Powerplay unit #1 (Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin) and The Krejci Brothers (Lucic/Krejci/Horton) as PP Unit #2.

No drawn-up Ge-off Wardness can compete with the chemistry these guys have. The man-advantage would be just the prescription for the Krejci Line to find its' cowbell and would also - and more importantly - allow the Bergeron Line to romp.

Claude and Ge-off gotta stop complicating the simple

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Keep the lines, as they are presently constituted, in tact. The KCB Line (keep calm and Bergeron) as Powerplay unit #1 (Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin) and The Krejci Brothers (Lucic/Krejci/Horton) as PP Unit #2.

No drawn-up Ge-off Wardness can compete with the chemistry these guys have. The man-advantage would be just the prescription for the Krejci Line to find its' cowbell and would also - and more importantly - allow the Bergeron Line to romp.

Claude and Ge-off gotta stop complicating the simple

there are a few dozen threads discussing coaching situations on the PP. What would you suggest individual players do?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Brad Marchand is not Dino Ciccarelli, but they are of similar stature and heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1NsryBLGOQ

Watch the first two goals.  This is what I'm talking about.

Ya, i'm fine with that. dart out, dart in, dart out, dart in. with lucic i want him just shadowing the goalie at the top of the paint whenever the Bs have the puck

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"there are a few dozen threads discussing coaching situations on the PP. What would you suggest individual players do?"

What would I suggest individual players do?! I've said as much. Keep the lines in tact, utilize the chemistry these guys have built together through thousands of hours of practice together and let these horses run. Let them be themselves. Players know what to do when they have the man-advantage. This isn't football. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

"there are a few dozen threads discussing coaching situations on the PP. What would you suggest individual players do?"

What would I suggest individual players do?! I've said as much. Keep the lines in tact, utilize the chemistry these guys have built together through thousands of hours of practice together and let these horses run. Let them be themselves. Players know what to do when they have the man-advantage. This isn't football. 

that has nothing to do with what individuals can do. Keeping the lines together is a coaching decision. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

a individual can fire ward. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"...that has nothing to do with what individuals can do. Keeping the lines together is a coaching decision."

huh?

uh, yea, exactly? The coaches should decide to roll their first two lines - as they are presently constituted - as powerplay units

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm curious with the size of some of the Bruin forwards, Lucic and Horton in particular that they don't position themselves in front of the net on the the lip of the crease.  Phil Esposito made a career out of scoring from the slot.  Not that you have to be as big as Espo, Horton or Lucic to perform that function.  Tomas Holstrom did it effectively for years for the Wings. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

Shoot , shoot, shoot

Please no more passes 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I'm curious with the size of some of the Bruin forwards, Lucic and Horton in particular that they don't position themselves in front of the net on the the lip of the crease.  Phil Esposito made a career out of scoring from the slot.  Not that you have to be as big as Espo, Horton or Lucic to perform that function.  Tomas Holstrom did it effectively for years for the Wings. 

I agree, RHO.  Put SOMEONE in front of the net!  Passing around the horn for a one-timer isn't the answer at all!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I agree, RHO.  Put SOMEONEin front of the net!  Passing around the horn for a one-timer isn't the answer at all!

NAS, I'm surprised it's not an automatic with the Bruins considering they have the players to do it.  The main difference I've seen in the PP so far this season is in the Bruins' ability to maintain possession in the other end by doing exactly what you state; passing the puck around the outside burning up the clock.  I watch them do this and figure the other club is thinking "Yeah, that's it.  Keep it working it around the perimeter.  There's no one in front of our net anyway." 

I'm watching the Blues on the PP right now in Edmonton and they're alternating Backes and Chris Stewart in front of the Oiler goal on the same PP.  Meaning as soon as Backes had possession of the puck and brought it to either face off circle to pass back to the point, Stewart immediately slid right into the vacated slot. 

Point is someone always had their a-- in Khabibulin's face.  I'd imagine most NHL goalies are going to stop the majority of the shots they can see clearly.  The Bruins aren't making life difficult for goaltenders without bodies in front causing deflections and messing up their view of the puck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A rumor floating was that the Panthers were willing to eat part of Campbell's salary to move him.  Tallon shot it down, but that would be an incredible trade for Boston.

Campbell is a great defenseman and is fully mobile on the powerplay.  I've seen him skating backwards across the blueline with the puck, one hand on his stick, the other directing traffic.

(This post is not an endorsement of the powerplay being needed to win the Cup or a game, but instead an endorsement of goals being fun to watch.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

"...that has nothing to do with what individuals can do. Keeping the lines together is a coaching decision."

huh?

uh, yea, exactly? The coaches should decide to roll their first two lines - as they are presently constituted - as powerplay units

so find a thread related to that (there are plenty). did you just not read the title of the thread? this is about what specific PLAYERS can do to improve their INDIVIDUAL power play performance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

A rumor floating was that the Panthers were willing to eat part of Campbell's salary to move him.  Tallon shot it down, but that would be an incredible trade for Boston.

Campbell is a great defenseman and is fully mobile on the powerplay.  I've seen him skating backwards across the blueline with the puck, one hand on his stick, the other directing traffic.

(This post is not an endorsement of the powerplay being needed to win the Cup or a game, but instead an endorsement of goals being fun to watch.)

If true, i wonder how much tallon would have to eat...3 mill maybe? I would want Campbell, but as the salary structure with this team is constituted I don't think they could afford more than 4 mill.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

To simplify:

1. Keep moving  

2. Keep shooting

3. Put Ward on "Ignore."

with the exception of a few, you all fail miserably in reading comprehension. thanks to all of you who could understand what the word individual means, and brought somehting to this thread.

Sections
Shortcuts