what do people think of the caps?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

what do people think of the caps?

I think their the same as last year....going to be a great regular season team, but do nothing in the playoffs. Goaltending is solved, and the third line looks good, but they still don't have a legit top pairing on the blue line. Green is brutal, and whos the number two? schultz. Carlson is good, and will be very good, but I don't think they can make noise in the playoffs unless they go out and grab weber. Those two picks from Colorado could help

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: what do people think of the caps?

In Response to what do people think of the caps?:
    I think their the same as last year....going to be a great regular season team, but do nothing in the playoffs. Goaltending is solved, and the third line looks good, but they still don't have a legit top pairing on the blue line. Green is brutal, and whos the number two? schultz. Carlson is good, and will be very good, but I don't think they can make noise in the playoffs unless they go out and grab weber. Those two picks from Colorado could help
    Posted by bostonfan191646

Interesting ideas. If Varlamov keeps Colorado in the race that trade won't be that lopsided. You'd have to think that Wash was expecting at least 1 lotto pick when they made the deal. The Avalanche doesn't look like they're going to cooperate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

About the same as always, with better goaltending. They're defense was near the top of the NHL last season, with Vokoun added to the mix especially after a statement laugher against the Wings...all they need is to be healthy and play like that, and not run into Buffalo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Great regular season team. That could change, but right now thats how i see them. Thomas Vokoun ? Really ? Whats he ever won worth any importance ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I had high hopes for them at the beginning of the year so much so that I used a fairly high pick in my pool on Vokoun. It's paying off huge right now. 

50below, Vokoun has always been a solid goalie in the league. He used to be very good for Nashville which we all know relies heavily on its goaltending and defense like the Bruins but then got lost in Florida, which has happened to a number of quality players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I respectfully disagree.
    1. Goaltending has been more than solved.  Did you realize they were outshot last night in their 7-1 win.  I remember an oilers team who got similar goaltending from Fuhr. 
    2. They do have a top tandum on the back end. Alzner and Carlson are in their second year together and might be the best young combo in the league.  Mobile, offensive minded and a shutdown pair.  Their second pairing is Green who is more committed to his own end and is an elite puck moving dman.  Remember Green is still young in terms of development and he is playing the hardest position in the league.  You can teach him the skills he is lacking.  You can't teach the skills he has.  I'm sure many said the same about Paul Coffee as well.  Hammer has settled him down.  Wideman and Schultz as a 3rd pairing is nothing to sneeze at either.   I think Washingtons def is much better and mobile than last yrs.  
    3. Fwd lines.  Backstrom is back from his MIA year.  Semin is playing for a contract.  The 1st two lines are solid.  Their 3rd line has always been an issue it is solved.  Halpren on the 4th line.  Sprinkled young skilled players throughout the lineup.  
    4.  You didnt touch on it so I will.  Leadership.  Halpren/Hammer bring a lot.  Ward and Brouwer add to the grit and mold of Laich.  These 4 guys are known for playing hard all the time.  

Like you said the fleeced colorado and next yrs draft is a very good one.  So hey have plenty of kids on the farm waiting, they have a stock pile of picks and the have a 7-0 team. 

I think this is the best team they have iced.  Vokoun has been outstanding.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: what do people think of the caps?:
    Great regular season team. That could change, but right now thats how i see them. Thomas Vokoun ? Really ? Whats he ever won worth any importance ?
    Posted by 50belowzero

We all had this debate about TT last year.  How did that work out for us?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to what do people think of the caps? : I respectfully disagree. 1. Goaltending has been more than solved.  Did you realize they were outshot last night in their 7-1 win.  I remember an oilers team who got similar goaltending from Fuhr.  2. They do have a top tandum on the back end. Alzner and Carlson are in their second year together and might be the best young combo in the league.  Mobile, offensive minded and a shutdown pair.  Their second pairing is Green who is more committed to his own end and is an elite puck moving dman.  Remember Green is still young in terms of development and he is playing the hardest position in the league.  You can teach him the skills he is lacking.  You can't teach the skills he has.  I'm sure many said the same about Paul Coffee as well.  Hammer has settled him down.  Wideman and Schultz as a 3rd pairing is nothing to sneeze at either.   I think Washingtons def is much better and mobile than last yrs.   3. Fwd lines.  Backstrom is back from his MIA year.  Semin is playing for a contract.  The 1st two lines are solid.  Their 3rd line has always been an issue it is solved.  Halpren on the 4th line.  Sprinkled young skilled players throughout the lineup.   4.  You didnt touch on it so I will.  Leadership.  Halpren/Hammer bring a lot.  Ward and Brouwer add to the grit and mold of Laich.  These 4 guys are known for playing hard all the time.   Like you said the fleeced colorado and next yrs draft is a very good one.  So hey have plenty of kids on the farm waiting, they have a stock pile of picks and the have a 7-0 team.  I think this is the best team they have iced.  Vokoun has been outstanding.     
    Posted by shuperman

Totally agree on this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I think they may be for real this year.  Too much talent, not enough heart or goaltending in years past, but they seem to have solved those problems.

I'm still not sure a team coached by Boudreau can take it all, but they look really good in the early going.

Still, some teams simply excel in the regulard season and falter in the playoffs.

Pretty much have to see how they handle the post-season to see if they are legit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm still not sure a team coached by Boudreau can take it all, but they look really good in the early going. Posted by LoveRealHockey

LRH - Well said.  One day the Caps may win in spite of not because of Boudreau.  Still not sold on him.  Not exactly sure why. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Take last year's team and add in legit goaltending.

They are real and they are going to give the entire NHL fits this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Yawn...wake me up when the playoffs start. I realize they have much better goaltending, but they always find someway to choke in the playoffs. Guys like Semin and Backstrom, who have world-class talent, for some reason, have periods of streaky play and look disinterested at times, particularly Semin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Great regular season team. Posted by 50belowzero

And another 100+ regular season will not change my opinion. Fun to watch but how will they react when the new season starts, when the hitting picks up and when the real grinder games start ?

They can have as many Presidents Trophies as the can handle but it will mean nothing to me nor their fans...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Caps vs. Kings in the finals...I got made fun of by many, one called me insane. I said it in August and I'll be right in June.

Take it to the bank!!! Boooooooooooo ahhh ahh!

Okay seriously, Caps are on a mission this year, they look real good and I expect them to be a different post season team this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

caps, I know that a lot of people do not like it when you use too many CAPS.

Still waiting for someone to get a hat trick so caps can be thrown out on the ice.

Stoppers known as caps, keep me from spilling my brewskies.

We don't need any stinking caps.

That is all, I gots to say about that!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shupe nice analysis, but for some reason I am not convinced.  Coaching, talent, better goaltending, young defensemen (hmm) and Ovechkin (plenty of heart but leadership?).  Semin is playing in another uniform next year!  The parity league will allow some teams to look very good at the beginning (Atlanta last year) then with an injury, and lack of expereince the dreams are dashed away.  I did like Felger's analysis of eight top teams in November the last three years making the playoffs.  Maybe the Bs should wake up.  The Caps have!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: what do people think of the caps? : We all had this debate about TT last year.  How did that work out for us?
    Posted by shuperman

True enough, but at least TT had won a vezina.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think they are going to be a tough out. I've got to imagine they will be tired of being told they have no playoff pulse.

Boudreau could easily be last year's CJ. Get deep or get out.

prediction...ECF at least.

Sections
Shortcuts