What does no Wninter Classic mean?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

What does no Wninter Classic mean?

Not officially canceled but doesnt look good. Canceling it could just be as simple as there will be no Winter Classic, but I kind of used it as a landmark that if they dont have a season by the time the Classic was to start then they probabaly wont have a season. Perhaps I'm putting too much stock in it, If they had a 50 game season and no Classic, I'd be fine.

Now I'm starting to get fustrated. Not because of the one game, but becasue they are canceling stuff and not even meeting. 2 Weeks ago there was hope, even of an 82 game season, now, i don't think we'll see one game this year. What a shame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: What does no Wninter Classic mean?

Until "Pied Piper" Fehr realizes he won't win,solidarity or not, there will be no hockey.I think if the N.H.L is willing to give up 2 or 3 months of the season to get 50/50, they aren't going to all of a sudden give in just to play 50 games. The players will keep losing salary, and to no avail. Bring in replacement players next year,i'll watch them.I'm a Bruins fan,not a player fan, and to these bunch of players i say, see ya later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In terms of the actual product, I have a hard time seeing anything "special".  It makes lots of money but....

On tv, it's really just another game played in less than ideal conditions.  I guess being part of a 'spectacle" is important to some, but personally, I don't see the lure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I used to think that the owners would not want to lose this Classic. However, NBC is paying the NHL $180 million in right fees this season, with the Winter Classic included, even if there is no NHL season (or Winter Classic).

Bettman & Co. have this lockout well orchestrated.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2012/10/nhl-still-gets-tv-money-even-if-season-is-cancelled.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

If your a player why cave when u can make money over seas?? The owners are actually borowing against future tv earnings so they are losing money. If there isn't a deal by jan 1 there will be no season. Then it becomes a point to the owners that the players can make money over seas and in the second season the owners will not receive a dime in tv money. Who loses...then. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If your a player why cave when u can make money over seas?? The owners are actually borowing against future tv earnings so they are losing money. If there isn't a deal by jan 1 there will be no season. Then it becomes a point to the owners that the players can make money over seas and in the second season the owners will not receive a dime in tv money. Who loses...then. 

[/QUOTE]

I've read somewhere that the cost of insurance coverage to play overseas costs some players more a month than they earn,so i don't think any player is becoming rich playing for Magnetogorsk or the like. The salaries they are losing by not playing in the N.H.L makes the amount they are making in Europe look like lunch money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I give until the end of the US Thanks-Giving Week-end. If there's no deal by then, I think there won't be a season. The ONLY thing that bugs me as this goes along is this....GAME, SET & MATCH by the owners if there's a half season. This will be where they'll abide to all contracts signed with some sort of "Wade Redden" clause. They will then pay all current salaries for the games played this year. Then, they will reap all the awards for the play-offs! As the owners owe nothing to the players after round 1. So, watch out for some NYI's type teams squeak into the 2nd round. This will also be one of these "we did it for the fans" presentation & we'll be working hard from here on out to get a deal ratifiied for the 2013/14 season." Then we'll see the owners back off a little with their demands. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It means I will probably have to go see a movie with the wife on New Years Day instead of watching sweet sweet hockey on TV in the comfort of my own family room :P

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm going to have a hard time giving a shortened season much credit, but am still looking forward to going to a few games if they play.  The excitement of the playoffs won't really be there for me, just as it wasn't for the '95 season.  I won't be centering my schedule around if the B's are playing or not, but will watch some games when I'm home and they are on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Re: What does no Winter Classic mean?

I don't really care much about the WC except it is better to watch on New Year's Day than Bowl games.

I heard a few days ago that the game was in jeopardy when the NHL said if they didn't have movement by Thursday, the game will be cancelled.

Apparently there is a US100,000 deposit that is forfeited to the Michigan stadium group(can't recall their name) if the game is cancelled after a certain date (November 1st). OK.

What I hate are media 'leaks' that warn of pending cancellations...just cancel it when the time comes. Then simply explain why is was announced when it was announced and move tot he next stage - negotiations!!!

Does the league think it has leverage with this game with the union?

Do they think it will make the players think twice about playing in probable inclement weather? Doubt it.

I read there quite a few other games scheduled when the ice surface goes in: college, AHL, alumni games...can they still play those games if the lockout is still on and the game cancelled?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I read there quite a few other games scheduled when the ice surface goes in: college, AHL, alumni games...can they still play those games if the lockout is still on and the game cancelled?

[/QUOTE]

Not likely, Dav.

The Univ. of Michigan would be paid nearly $3mil to host the Winter Classic and all it's side shows. Without the NHL ponying up the dough I can't see the school moving forward so the other games can be played.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

That there's no longer a reason to believe that the season should start in January.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

To me it means losing the best (US) national marketing tool they had. Hopefully, it will signify the end of the season as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't really care much about the WC except it is better to watch on New Year's Day than Bowl games.

I heard a few days ago that the game was in jeopardy when the NHL said if they didn't have movement by Thursday, the game will be cancelled.

Apparently there is a US100,000 deposit that is forfeited to the Michigan stadium group(can't recall their name) if the game is cancelled after a certain date (November 1st). OK.

What I hate are media 'leaks' that warn of pending cancellations...just cancel it when the time comes. Then simply explain why is was announced when it was announced and move tot he next stage - negotiations!!!

Do they think it will make the players think twice about playing in probable inclement weather? Doubt it.

[/QUOTE]

FYI Dave

This year's Winter Classic between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings was billed as the biggest in the event's six-year history. Organizers were expecting a crowd that would eclipse the world record of 104,173 who attended the "Big Chill" NCAA game at the University of Michigan in 2010 and an increased number of secondary events -- including alumni, junior, college and American Hockey Leagues games -- were slated for a second outdoor venue at Comerica Park in Detroit.

A source indicated that they wouldn't be held if the Winter Classic was cancelled.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me it means losing the best (US) national marketing tool they had. Hopefully, it will signify the end of the season as well.

[/QUOTE]

Too bad you have that attitude. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Davinator's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FYI Dave

This year's Winter Classic between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings was billed as the biggest in the event's six-year history. Organizers were expecting a crowd that would eclipse the world record of 104,173 who attended the "Big Chill" NCAA game at the University of Michigan in 2010 and an increased number of secondary events -- including alumni, junior, college and American Hockey Leagues games -- were slated for a second outdoor venue at Comerica Park in Detroit.

A source indicated that they wouldn't be held if the Winter Classic was cancelled.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Thanks for the update NeeleyOrrBourque...

'Ouch' is right, kelvana33.

This is a clear indicator of how far reaching this lockout goes. Tens of thousands of staff unable to earn to their potential and over a hundred thousand fans will be looking elsewhere to spend their 2013 'HRR' dollars.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Winter Classic has run it's course for me.  I had enough of it when they started playing the same teams.  It's no longer cool, fun or interesting.  Maybe if they put the Cup champs against the current #1 or #2 team I would be more interested.  The "what is the best marketing matchup possible" angle is overboard.

Oh!  Have to watch!  It's going to be the biggest hockey crowd ever!  Why do I care?  If 108,000 people are there, or 25, I'm still watching three periods of regulation hockey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Winter Classic has run it's course for me.  I had enough of it when they started playing the same teams.  It's no longer cool, fun or interesting.  Maybe if they put the Cup champs against the current #1 or #2 team I would be more interested.  The "what is the best marketing matchup possible" angle is overboard.

Oh!  Have to watch!  It's going to be the biggest hockey crowd ever!  Why do I care?  If 108,000 people are there, or 25, I'm still watching three periods of regulation hockey.

[/QUOTE]

Does having the biggest crowd ever actually attract a TV audience? Or that the game is in "historic" Fenway Park? I sure hope not. I had no interest in going to the game when it was in Boston. Freeze my butt off to watch a game on the jumbo-tron because you really can't see it from your seat? I could get the same result from sitting out on my deck and watching the TV through the patio door. No thanks.

However, I have to admit I like the WC and enjoy seeing a game played outdoors and it's a way better option than watching the (insert corporate name here) bowl. They've all been pretty good games for the most part. It's still a hockey game at the end of the day and all the NHL circus b.s. is best ignored. The rehashing of teams is annoying though. Philly, Pitt and Detroit (if 2013 was on) all with 2 appearances in 6 years is a bit much. You can bet on Chicago and Boston being in the mix again soon as well. Either make it an Original 6 event or spread it out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

It looks like the NHL was using the Winter Classic as a pressure point in negotiations to get in any kind of season. With the millions and millions of dollars of revenue that will be lost when they cancel this game, I would expect an announcement not long after that regarding the cancelation of the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It looks like the NHL was using the Winter Classic as a pressure point in negotiations to get in any kind of season. With the millions and millions of dollars of revenue that will be lost when they cancel this game, I would expect an announcement not long after that regarding the cancelation of the season.

[/QUOTE]

The '94-95 season started in January of '95.  They won't cancel the possibility of having half of a season two months in advance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too bad you have that attitude. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not too bad for my attitude on this stance. I love hockey pretty much as anyone here, but I'm not a fan of partial seasons, nor am I a fan of how either side has had such disregard for their fanbase. I'd rather have both sides lose the season (and associated HRR) and get the CBA right for a full schedule next and subsequent seasons. I'll pass on a Stanley Cup "champ" from an abbreviated season. Part of what makes the Stanley Cup great is the absolute marathon of toil and persistence it takes to win it all. It may be Draconian but it's 82 games or none for me. The only case for a partial season is for cash for the regular working folks at the periphery of the game who are getting squeezed bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

To me it means losing the best (US) national marketing tool they had.

Very true casual fans were watching on New Years and some did get interested. Versus also helped get US viewers as well.

Sections
Shortcuts