What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston

I think PC will focus on Marchand first; the other restricted players I think he will pay some attention to is Anton Khudobin (the tender he acquired from the Wild) and Zach Hamill.

If the Bruins don't resign Kaberle, I'd like to see them go after Eric Brewer (TB) or Anton Babchuck (Cal).

Ville Leino (Phi) would be a nice addition upfront, but there is already Caron and Arniel waiting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I can't help but feel the playoffs should have changed all this.  True enough that if you're standing stilll you're losing ground, but moving forward doesn't need to mean signing FAs.  If Kaberle walks, the Bruins have two or three Providence D who should get the chance to compete for the #6 and #7 spots on the roster - Kampfer, Bartkowski, and Cohen.  Maybe Alexandrov works his way in to that mix.  Up front, if they keep Ryder, they don't have a vacancy for an FA.  They have the 13th forward slot for a Caron or Arniel.

Biggest thing, though, is that the Bruins have a really solid mix of players who know how to play this system.  Given their roles etc., I'm not sure I see an FA out there who is a sure upgrade and is therefore worth the cash.  I don't share the love of Joni loves Chachi, and wasn't Eric Brewer exposed by the Bruins as being, well, Eric Brewer?  (Last 5 games of the series, he was -3 with one PP assist).

If they sign someone, I hope it's a low-dollar vet who will push the young players to earn their spot and who will play the good soldier if he ends up in the press box most nights.  If the rookies don't work out, if injuries decimate the roster...deal with it then.

And there's always Zach Hamill...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CactusTonia. Show CactusTonia's posts

What about Markov?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston:
    [QUOTE]I can't help but feel the playoffs should have changed all this.  True enough that if you're standing stilll you're losing ground, but moving forward doesn't need to mean signing FAs.  If Kaberle walks, the Bruins have two or three Providence D who should get the chance to compete for the #6 and #7 spots on the roster - Kampfer, Bartkowski, and Cohen.  Maybe Alexandrov works his way in to that mix.  Up front, if they keep Ryder, they don't have a vacancy for an FA.  They have the 13th forward slot for a Caron or Arniel. Biggest thing, though, is that the Bruins have a really solid mix of players who know how to play this system.  Given their roles etc., I'm not sure I see an FA out there who is a sure upgrade and is therefore worth the cash.  I don't share the love of Joni loves Chachi, and wasn't Eric Brewer exposed by the Bruins as being, well, Eric Brewer?  (Last 5 games of the series, he was -3 with one PP assist). If they sign someone, I hope it's a low-dollar vet who will push the young players to earn their spot and who will play the good soldier if he ends up in the press box most nights.  If the rookies don't work out, if injuries decimate the roster...deal with it then. And there's always Zach Hamill...
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

There is a major need for an upgrade and support system for chara.  If Chara were ever to go down this teams defense would be very avg.  You can be the best system type player in the world but skill enters the picture at some point.  It was pretty clear to me in the Habs series how important he is.
    As I pointed out above we took full advantage in a year where most of the elite teams had major injuries to star players.  Pitt/Philly weren't Pitt/Philly that we know.  We also remained completely healthy until Horton.  Its very rare to have all 6 dmen stay healthy for an entire playoff run. 
    Brewer is my choice still b/c he is very mobile, can anchor a PP/PK, log 25+ minutes, play physical and is a former captain.  To me this overshadows the -3 and 1 assist in the last 5 games against the Bruins. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

NOT A SHOT IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY AGAIN, EVEN THOUGH I DO LIKE  PITKANEN THE MONEY WILL BE TO HIGH. BUT IT MAY BE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. GUYS I WILL ENJOY THIS ALL SUMMER. BUT I WILL WATCH THE AWARD SHOW ON WED., THEN THE DRAFT ON FRIDAY SHOULD BE INTERESTING. EVERYBODY ENJOY THE REST OF THE SUMMER MAY IT BE A CUP COME TRUE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I don't share the love of Joni loves Chachi"

Book, Think of Chiarelli finally coveting Siedenberg all he had to do is pull up tapes of the 09' playoffs. With 4mil not 2mil more to play with there must be more than a tire kick attempt to get Joni away from Chachi. Pitkanen is better and younger than Morris, Wides and Kaberle combined at this point.

PS. Joni hits the net with a little more occasion so no need to check his e-harmony stats...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]                        "I don't share the love of Joni loves Chachi" Book, Think of Chiarelli finally coveting Siedenberg all he had to do is pull up tapes of the 09' playoffs. With 4mil not 2mil more to play with there must be more than a tire kick attempt to get Joni away from Chachi. Pitkanen is better and younger than Morris, Wides and Kaberle combined at this point. PS. Joni hits the net with a little more occasion so no need to check his e-harmony stats...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I share you desire for Pitkanen.  Very steady and a good mobile puck mover.  We need an upgrade on the backend.  I can live with our fwd crew, especially with some youngins fighting to earn a place.  Adding a dman now is much easier now rather than at the feeding frenzy deadline.  Plus I think a dman takes longer to fit into a new system and partner. 
    Add Pitkanen via UFA
    Add a depth fwd at the deadline.
    Extend DK and BM now.
    Smile all summer and wait for the start of the season.
    Heck maybe we can even kiss and makeup you grumpy basturd

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston : That would be a problem.  I stated before, I hope they trade for Doughty.  I would also settle for Yandle.  I actually like Yandle as a complementary piece more than Weber. I keep going back and forth on which one player would have the biggest impact: Parise or Doughty.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]
    Gotta be realistic.  Neither of those guys are coming here.  Parise could be possible but he has stated he wouldnt mind playing with his buddy in Buffalo and they could use him more.  And they have a huge trading chip in their young goalie. 
    Adding a dman through a trade is fine.  But I think the asking price for Doughty would our 1st rounder, and 3 of our young players.  Marchand-Lucic-Kampfer.  And LA still likely hangs up.  And no way I would give up that much. 
    We have lots of young talent on the way. 
    We need a top 4 guy and someone who can be counted on as a #2.  I think Pitkanen or Brewer are ideal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston : I share you desire for Pitkanen.  Very steady and a good mobile puck mover.  We need an upgrade on the backend.  I can live with our fwd crew, especially with some youngins fighting to earn a place.  Adding a dman now is much easier now rather than at the feeding frenzy deadline.  Plus I think a dman takes longer to fit into a new system and partner.  Add Pitkanen via UFA Add a depth fwd at the deadline. Extend DK and BM now. Smile all summer and wait for the start of the season. Heck maybe we can even kiss and makeup you grumpy basturd
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I am not a fan of Pitkanen .. Too soft for my liking.. yes he is good PP guy but I think the Bruins need a better #3 d-man  option  to lighten Chara's work load, and I think,  PC if he could manouvre a deal at the draft I would prefer Brent Burns ..I know that he is not a FA , but Chiarelli is already on record as saying he probably will not be a player on July 1st...so this makes sense.

Burns  can be had and there are rumblings that the Wild are listening to offers..They need strength in numbers.. He is a better upside from an offensive game, and is much more physical.. PC has the players , and picks to manouvre this trade no doubt about it... Since we are probably losing Kaberle , Brent Burns would be the ideal  replacement.. Would love to see it..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

#9 - Kaberle - Caron for Yandle?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

Make an offer sheet to LA's Drew Doughty. We'd have to give up our #1 this year (30th), our number 2 (31st), our number 1 & 2 next year (30th and 31st again cuz we repeat as champs) - and we can also give them exclusive rights to Kaberle and Ryder. Then on July 1st, resign Ryder ... sukkkkkkas!!!

Oh and I've give Marco Sturm a shot for $1MM/1yr. Marchand - BErgie - Sturm ... hmmmm?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I would only trade draft picks and prospects.  I suppose if the Kings are that delusional about how good Doughty is, it's not going to get done.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

Nothing delusional about it.  LA would be insane to give him up for draft picks and prospects.

I dont see Parise, Doughty,Weber or Yandle having any chance of coming to Boston.

I like Kamfer but I suspect he's an injury bug guy.

I lusted after Brewer at the trade deadline and was annoyed to look at him as a roadblock in the Conference finals.  Still think he's a nice fit.

They still need a scorer to replace Recchi/Ryder.

PC is going to need to be a bit creative this summer if he is to make any significant upgrades.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston : Nothing delusional about it.  LA would be insane to give him up for draft picks and prospects. I dont see Parise, Doughty,Weber or Yandle having any chance of coming to Boston. I like Kamfer but I suspect he's an injury bug guy. I lusted after Brewer at the trade deadline and was annoyed to look at him as a roadblock in the Conference finals.  Still think he's a nice fit. They still need a scorer to replace Recchi/Ryder. PC is going to need to be a bit creative this summer if he is to make any significant upgrades.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

good post. agree completely

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trv. Show trv's posts

Whoa!! Where did all the Thomas Haters go? No one wants to trade him while we can stiil get something for him! Gee, I wonder where those Guys all went.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I agree Matt, I'd love to see Parise in Boston. Love. It.

trv, I'm not seeing the relevance of trading Thomas in a thread thats titled ""what free agent would you most like to see come to Boston."   I think there is a Thomas trade thread going on somewhere else though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukin. Show lukin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What free agent would you most like to see come to Boston : no worries dude, Torres doesnt have a spot in that lineup the way its constructed.  i could see him in a similar role that cole would have on this team and would be a lot cheaper.  meaning seguin to the 2nd line(which I think is likely).  Would i like Torres.  Yes! You gotta admit he did play pretty good for them in the finals.  He didnt go el-cheap-o in the one sided games in boston.  he finishes his hits, kills pims, pops the occasional goal and brings lots of energy. Whoever he signs with i say he will out score Kelly/Thorton/Campy/Paille.  And for a million bucks he is worth that. BUT- its very unlikely.  I don't mind busting grapes every now and then. I had a fantastic weekend. Eddie Vedder concert thursday, Sox game, Bruins parade.  I even navigated myself outta Boston back to Nova Scotia without a hiccup. cheers buddy.  This summer has started off amazing.  Can't wait till next year.  And on that note.  Torres Part II can start in October.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I share in your sentiments about a fantastic weekend.  Wednesday was surreal, the EV concert was amazing (8th row center), parade, and topped by father's day.  We are spoiled here in Boston, and it feels great. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gotta split this out:

SanDog, I see the comparison, but Pitkanen and Seidenberg are very different players if you ask me.  I see Pitkanen, Brewer, and probably Wisniewski as high-end middle class players who will get paid like high class players in FA.  I would worry about any of them coming in and performing at the level people seem to expect under Julien and with the expectations on them.  Pitkanen has never been indispensible and has had many of his best seasons on teams with no pressure.  Brewer's one good year in Tampa Bay does not eclipse the memory of his extremely poor decision-making in Edmonton (when he had a high end offensive game and was a Team Canada player) or the criticism you'd hear out of St. Louis that he was inconsistent and over-burdened trying to be a go-to guy.

I don't see either as a major upgrade on the defense.  I would agree that a significant upgrade would be good, and if you could get an impact defenseman I'd be thrilled, but neither of these guys fit the bill.  As for Doughty/Yandle/Weber talk, I would have hoped that the Cup would give the lie to the stargazing.  Besides, Doughty and Weber are franchise players and won't be moving any time soon. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta split this out: SanDog, I see the comparison, but Pitkanen and Seidenberg are very different players if you ask me.  I see Pitkanen, Brewer, and probably Wisniewski as high-end middle class players who will get paid like high class players in FA.  I would worry about any of them coming in and performing at the level people seem to expect under Julien and with the expectations on them.  Pitkanen has never been indispensible and has had many of his best seasons on teams with no pressure.  Brewer's one good year in Tampa Bay does not eclipse the memory of his extremely poor decision-making in Edmonton (when he had a high end offensive game and was a Team Canada player) or the criticism you'd hear out of St. Louis that he was inconsistent and over-burdened trying to be a go-to guy. I don't see either as a major upgrade on the defense.  I would agree that a significant upgrade would be good, and if you could get an impact defenseman I'd be thrilled, but neither of these guys fit the bill.  As for Doughty/Yandle/Weber talk, I would have hoped that the Cup would give the lie to the stargazing.  Besides, Doughty and Weber are franchise players and won't be moving any time soon. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Good rebuttal,

My point with brewer is that he doesnt have to be "the guy".  chara has that role.  But in an  eastern conference full of impact stars who will be healthy we need to have better balance on the back end.  If chara ever went down we would be in deep doo-doo.  He needs a running mate.  and I agree with middle class guys getting huge raises.  But we have some space and need to add a guy back there.  I like Bieksa as well but think he is gonna get a major raise.

Here is a list of the guys.  Not much out there.
    http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010/06/01/2011-unrestricted-nhl-free-agents/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"high-end middle class players who will get paid like high class players in FA."

That is one of the few things that is the same across the board players getting more than they should get in all sports. Kaberle, Wisniewski and Pitkanen will get more than what they should get.

If Joni loves Chachi were 31 or 32 I would agree take a pass but he is 27 year old assist machine who skates better than Kaberle ever did. He shoots better than any Bruin defenseman right now and by that I mean good low hard shots that get through on the PP.

There's a real good possibility that Savard is done and Kaberle showed his age in quite a few games if PC is thinking of overpaying. Pitkanen is coming into his prime that is the best time to sign a young defensman especially one that didn't play on a team with a ton of talent up front Staal and Skinner yes after that not so much.

Think about what he could do with more skilled forwards to pass too ? Having seen a ton of Joni loves chachi with having the hockey package the past few years and his play against the Bruins in 09' playoffs I say overpay.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Dupont had a good point about overpaying Stamkos.  If you give a guy 10 years at the max, it starts to seem manageable around year 5 or 6 given the rate the Cap has been increasing.  Same principle for 5 years at $4.5M - too much now might look just right in two or three years and like a steal in year 5.  Still don't think I'd do it though. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Don't really know this guy, but he's cheaper than Ryder and he might not have peaked yet;
    Radim Vbata 29.  He's a Czech.

For defense, like everybody else, Pitkanen, Brewer or Wizniewski.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

^Vrbata hasn't really played very well outside of Phoenix. That was illustrated when he signed a good contract (3YRS/$9 Million with Tampa). Long story short, he was awful during his short stint there, had confidence issues and was traded back to Phoenix. He's evenly publicly stated that he does NOT want to leave Phoenix. He'll either be back there, or some other team (hopefully not the Bruins) will overpay for him on a stupid contract. He's a VERY streaky player. I'll pass on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

There are two chances that Doughty will leave L.A.:  slim and none.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

With Kaberle, Recchi and Ryder all coming off the books...

Add Cole on the 2nd line wing.
    Add Wisniewski to the 2nd D-line pairing.

Generous salary numbers suggested below give the Bs cap space equivalent to Savard's hit, which means he can either come back, or come off the books via retirement to free up $4mil at the trade deadline.

Help from our friends at Cap Geek:

Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($3.750m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)
    Brad Marchand ($3.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($3.750m)
    Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m) / Rich Peverley ($1.325m)
    Daniel Paille ($1.075m) / Greg Campbell ($1.100m) / Shawn Thornton ($0.812m)

Zdeno Chara ($6.916m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m)
    James Wisniewski ($4.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($0.575m)
    Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Johnny Boychuk ($1.875m)
    Steven Kampfer ($0.852m)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]With Kaberle, Recchi and Ryder all coming off the books... Add Cole on the 2nd line wing. Add Wisniewski to the 2nd D-line pairing. Generous salary numbers suggested below give the Bs cap space equivalent to Savard's hit, which means he can either come back, or come off the books via retirement to free up $4mil at the trade deadline. Help from our friends at Cap Geek: Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($3.750m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m) Brad Marchand ($3.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($3.750m) Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m) / Rich Peverley ($1.325m) Daniel Paille ($1.075m) / Greg Campbell ($1.100m) / Shawn Thornton ($0.812m) Zdeno Chara ($6.916m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) James Wisniewski ($4.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($0.575m) Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Johnny Boychuk ($1.875m) Steven Kampfer ($0.852m)
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    Don't get me wrong, I like Cole, but I'd take a pass on him. When he's healthy, he could very well be the 25-30 goal scorer any team could use. However, his health in recent years hasn't been the greatest, which is concerning me quite a bit. He was already making $3M this year, and with 26 Goals and over 50 points in a contract year, he'll be getting quite a nice raise.

Carolina has said they wanted to sign him before he hits July 1st, and it's likely they offered him 3+YRS at around $4M...and the GM said the other day that they are pretty far apart, and things haven't moved along well at all.

I'd look at Jussi Jokinen. I would personally not offer him anything more than 4 years. He's been kind of a late bloomer. I'd offer him a short menu of offers...
    3YRS $10.5M ($3.5M/YR)
    4YRS $12M ($3M/YR)

I really, really hope PC makes a run at Brooks Laich, provided that the Caps don't lock him up (THEY SHOULD!!!) before July 1st. I'd be prepared to blow him out of the water...
    5-6YRS at $3.5M or so a year. I WANT HIM, he'd be a perfect fit on this team.

Sections
Shortcuts