What Happened to the Capitals?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

What Happened to the Capitals?

Just watching the Caps game and wondering how they got 107 points...they look horrible.  All the players chasing the puck, no cycling, no forcheck, nothing.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: What Happened to the Capitals?

I'll take a beating for this but it's the Joe Thornton syndrome.  Build a team around a single superstar and the rest of the team stands around waiting for him to do it all.  It doesn't work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruce Boudreau and he's gone!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: What Happened to the Capitals?:
    [QUOTE]I'll take a beating fore this but it's the Joe Thornton syndrome.  Build a team around a single superstar and the rest of the team stands around waiting for him to do it all.  It doesn't work.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

No beating necessary.  I think you're absolutely spot on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]I'll take a beating fore this but it's the Joe Thornton syndrome.  Build a team around a single superstar and the rest of the team stands around waiting for him to do it all.  It doesn't work.

i really thought with the addition of arnott they would be the favorites to come out of east. i still think they have alot of talent but talk about the perfect argument to go against people who say that u need to build a team around a sniper. how bad has washington spit the bit in last 4 years. finishing 1st or 2nd conference each of last 4 years and 1 time out of 1st round i believe

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Boubreau should have been gone last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

hang - You got it.  I heard a Caps beat reporter today say he wasn't shocked at their situation for these reasons: a. Boudrea is a cheerleader/motivator and not a coach/strategist.  He's been outcoached on many occasions but his talented crew has bailed him out.  b. The Caps are a team that doesn't like to work. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Happened to the Capitals? : hang - You got it.  I heard a Caps beat reporter today say he wasn't shocked at their situation for these reasons: a. Boudrea is a cheerleader/motivator and not a coach/strategist.  He's been outcoached on many occasions but his talented crew has bailed him out.  b. The Caps are a team that doesn't like to work. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

he was exposed on that hbo 24/7. blysma made him look bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to What Happened to the Capitals?:
    [QUOTE]Just watching the Caps game and wondering how they got 107 points...they look horrible.  All the players chasing the puck, no cycling, no forcheck, nothing.  
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

Playoffs hockey is different ...and by the way ...Who cares ...???

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Terrible defense. Young goaltending.  Immature forwards.  Think of this during all of the discussions where people say the Bruins need one or two more big time offensive players to compete in the playoffs.  The two teams the pro-star camps always cite?  Pittsburgh and Washington.  Pitt's $17.5M in two stars left them thin at the worst time.  Washington's huge investments in Ovi, Backstrom (huge ghost - what happened to that kid?), Semin and "PMD" Green amount to over $28M or just under half of the total salary cap.  If you invest that heavily in stars and those stars don't get it done?  You lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

[QUOTE]GOALTENDING. I had suggested each Washington and Philly make a bid for Thomas last year and their fans kept telling themselves their hack goalies were as good as Thomas. You simply have to have a warrior between the pipes.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

For the last 3 or 4 years, Washington's achilies heel has been goaltending. Somehow, the front office has made no effort to fix it during the offseason. Then the trade deadline arrives and they go out and get a depth forward or some scrub defenseman (Dennis Wideman  lol) , thinking that Ovechkin can do it by himself.

Im wondering how many times they can be prven wrong before they change philosophy

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Goalie mainly. Look what has happened with the comments that Detroit doesn't need an outstanding goalie. Anyone think that Chiarelli should get kudos for Thomas [ overpaid ???] plus Rask [ mishandled maybe??] and now Khudoban in the wings. I was not a Ference supporter, but he has been as steady as can be, has taught McQuaid; covers for Boychuck and Kaberle; and some of us[ me included] thought Chia had overpaid. How about how many here have panned Kelly and Peverly?? And all the recent suggestions that they sit Looch. Chiarelli has given Claude the horses, the outcome depends on Claude's decisions. By winning the East, Claude will cement his return. Does that add heartburn to anyone??

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

correct king, no one wants to hear anything of trades, THIS TEAM is in the middle(i hope) of a playoff run. geez

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

They don't have a blue line. Carlson is their only legit d man. Green is TERRIBLE. hes a glorified marc-andre bergeron

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

All of the above.
    Poor tending.
    Lousy defense.
    A tactically bereft coach.
    2nd level stars like Green (what do people see in this guy? one of the worst defensive defenseman I've seen), Semin, and Backstrom weren't up for the task.
    A bunch of guys standing around watching Ovi play.
    28 million invested in 4 guys (GM death)
    They are wussies.
    buhbye, Brucie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

king...thanks for reminding me it's a free country, who needs to pipe down? i CONFIRMED what you said in YOUR OWN POST. holy moly- take a nap or something

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I watch Washington a lot.  I like Ovie.  And he was the only player to show up for them along with Knuble.  I felt bad for them.
    1. Goaltending was not an issue.  They have three young solid goalies.
    2. Defense was a problem. Green and Schultz are soft as they come.  Alzner and Carlson are obvious stars on the rise.  Hannan played well for them.  John E is a depth guy and they missed Wideman.  I know what you are thinking but he was a huge part of them turning things around in the 2nd half.  The fact TBay plays such a boring style his puck moving and offense on the PP would have been a nice addition.  They don't have a true warrior back there. 
    3. Fwds.  One of Semin and Backstrom should be dealt.  Likely Semin.  I would much rather Dustin Brown straight up for Semin. Semin and Ovie are best buddies, but this is a business...split them up and get some nice additions from LA who had been rumored interested and need a scorer for Kopitar. Plus the Caps have another superstar russian prospect on the way.  Arnott/Sturm were not the answer.  Their best heart fwd Brooks Laich will be signing here in Boston.  They needed Belanger.  He wanted them and they messed him over.  Karma!
    4. Coach- He is done.  Amazing regular season stats.  But he had his chance.  Time for change and he is done.  He is too much of a Debbie Downer and he obviously has no control over his players.  They need a coach that isnt a players coach.  BB let them get away with too much and they could be the softest team in hockey.  

The hammer is gonna fall in Washington.  They have lots of youth and lots of talent.  They would clear a lot of cap space by dealing Semin.  

We will find out how frustrating playing Tampa will be.  That system is pure death.  They have lots of firepower an amazing goalie and a system that is near impossible to beat.  Dump and pound will be the war cry next series.  Can't wait

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Alex Ovechkin is the prototypical Russian stereotype, except that he hits. Semin is the same way, except he doesn't even bother to hit. Normally, I'd LIKE a captain saying "We're going to win the next 2 games," but when Alex said that it was like "Do you just believe that's how it's going to happen because you're talented enough that you'll just win, or do you intend to MAKE it happen?" For the most part, they don't work hard enough to win playoff series where the talent is close.
    Brooks Laich is kind of the man, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Alex Ovechkin is the prototypical Russian stereotype, except that he hits. Semin is the same way, except he doesn't even bother to hit. Normally, I'd LIKE a captain saying "We're going to win the next 2 games," but when Alex said that it was like "Do you just believe that's how it's going to happen because you're talented enough that you'll just win, or do you intend to MAKE it happen?" For the most part, they don't work hard enough to win playoff series where the talent is close. Brooks Laich is kind of the man, though.
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]

Laich should have been resigned and given the C.  He is a perfect leader.  Can't wait until he signs with the B's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Happened to the Capitals? : Laich should have been resigned and given the C.  He is a perfect leader.  Can't wait until he signs with the B's.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

where would he play? we have no room for him