What if Savard is done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What if Savard is done?

It is a possibility.  Could you blame him if he decided to end his career?  I wouldn't.  His head has been dented a lot even before Cooke.  Maybe it wasn't a concussion, but maybe it was.  Maybe it was just a hit that made him think just one more serious hit and I'm a vegetable.

OK, all speculaton, but it is valid speculation.

Maybe I'm just having a panic attack about this, but I believe it's a discussion worth having.

It's a what if scenario, but a very very possible what if.

Very very bad for Savard and very bad for the Bruins as I don't see how they could replace Savard very easily.  Who would be up on the trading block other than Kovalchuk?  What FA are there this summer worth getting??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: What if Savard is done?

Brad Richards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'd make a 3 year offer to Brad Richards if he doesn't re-sign with Dallas. If that fell through I'd make a 1 year offer to Gagne. I actually would go after one of these two regardless if Savard announced his retirement or not.

Then you have replacements in house Seguin, Colborne or Spooner after moving Campbell up to the 3rd line or one of the three above take the 3rd line duties.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

We have enough talent this year and next without Savard. Richards will ask for near 8 million a season. No thanks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I just saw the first period and then had to go to a party . I then get a text from my brother stating Savard has a concussion (of course he gets tweets from Hag and Murph) , I was just waiting to hear from Mckenzie.
    Thanks to one another Bruin faithful he gave me the scoop on the hit.
    Now,  if he does have a concussion,  he might have to go on LTIR.  That doesn't mean he can't come back but he could recover 100% in time for the playoffs.  In the meantime the cap space freed up the Bruin can bring up or trade to replace the void. In the event of a return of  Savard cap space doesn't count in the playoffs .
    From Julien's comments seems like he'll be okay. It could be he has minor concussion and he'll be back sooner than later.  In this case not sure if he can go on LTIR (how many games does he have to stay out if goes on LTIR ?) .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: What if Savard is done?:
    I'd make a 3 year offer to Brad Richards if he doesn't re-sign with Dallas. If that fell through I'd make a 1 year offer to Gagne. I actually would go after one of these two regardless if Savard announced his retirement or not. Then you have replacements in house Seguin, Colborne or Spooner after moving Campbell up to the 3rd line or one of the three above take the 3rd line duties.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Good points.  Keep your ears open out there on the situation .
    Something will be brewin' .
    Never a dull moment in the "Hub of Hockey".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Can anyone say Lindros.

And Hunwick the Irony oy! Feel bad for Hunwick wasnt a bad hit Savard was out of control.

Just scary its like he's skating around with a grenade for a head and the pins allready pulled.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I just saw the first period and then had to go to a party . I then get a text from my brother stating Savard has a concussion (of course he gets tweets from Hag and Murph) , I was just waiting to hear from Mckenzie. Thanks to one another Bruin faithful he gave me the scoop on the hit. Now,  if he does have a concussion ,  he might have to go on LTIR.  That doesn't mean he can't come back but he could recover 100% in time for the playoffs.  In the meantime the cap space freed up the Bruin can bring up or trade to replace the void. In the event of a return of  Savard cap space doesn't count in the playoffs . From Julien's comments seems like he'll be okay . It could be he has minor concussion and he'll be back sooner than later.  In this case not sure if he can go on LTIR (how many games does he have to stay out if goes on LTIR ?) .
    Posted by BsLegion

To go on LTIR Savard has to miss 10 games and/or 24 calender days

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

We have enough talent this year and next without Savard. Richards will ask for near 8 million a season. No thanks Posted by yaz16

Richards is no position to ask for 8Mil nor would his agent be taken seriously if he demanded it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Marc should hang up the skates, too many concussions for him already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The fact that he flew back to boston could mean that it is nothing too serious because flying could add pressure. Still, Savvy is an emotional guy, and worries. Can't blame him, but, we all know he loves to play, and won't give up easily. If he does go on LTIR, it might be time to add Zach Hamill to the mix. From all reports he is playing well in Providence and is only 22. Plus those picked in the same year are just now entering the NHL like Couture in San Jose. All you naysayers should check his play in Providence this year. He is still not big, but he is smart on the ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Done. How long heve we been waiting for Dorothy Hamill to do something?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The fact that he flew back to boston could mean that it is nothing too serious because flying could add pressure. Still, Savvy is an emotional guy, and worries. Can't blame him, but, we all know he loves to play, and won't give up easily. If he does go on LTIR, it might be time to add Zach Hamill to the mix. From all reports he is playing well in Providence and is only 22. Plus those picked in the same year are just now entering the NHL like Couture in San Jose. All you naysayers should check his play in Providence this year. He is still not big, but he is smart on the ice.
    Posted by bogie6

I've been googling that one for a while and I can't find anything conclusive about that at all.  The answers I've seen is that it doesn't matter, unless you're the pilot to it depends on the type of concussion to the severity of the concussion to those that say it's absolutely not safe.

And what's he going to do, stay in Denver the rest of his life?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Why would he hang up his skates with that much money and years left on his contract? He'd be giving up millions. It would make sense from his standpoint to drag out the inevitable through endless comebacks. Would you leave that much money on the table??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

i don't think he will hang up his skates permanently but he might for the season.  Obviously he wasn't ready to come back because he can't seem to avoid getting hit.  For a little guy, you need that extra quickness to avoid getting your clock cleaned out there & he just doesn't have it.  So take the rest of the year off & try to come back next year & see what happens.  When Matt Hunwick can line you up like that, something isnt quite right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

It's a rough game. He needs to man-up or move on. Since the Matt Cooke hit, he's gotten plenty of support from the fans (me being one), players and management. His "comeback" thus far has been unimpressive. I don't want to kick the guy now while he's down, but sometimes you need to know when to stay down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadBear. Show BigBadBear's posts

Why would he hang up his skates with that much money and years left on his contract? He'd be giving up miliions. It would make sense from his standpoint to drag out the inevitable through endless comebacks. Would you leave that much money on the table??
    Posted by westga

You cant look at it from the outside though, sure money is money but without good health the money means nothing. You also have the pressure from outside the hockey world to maybe just hang it up. You might love hockey to death but you cant say no to your family. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

In Response to Re: What if Savard is done? : You cant look at it from the outside though, sure money is money but without good health the money means nothing. You also have the pressure from outside the hockey world to maybe just hang it up. You might love hockey to death but you cant say no to your family. 
    Posted by BigBadBear

I would bet that he has an insurance policy incase of career ending injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What if Savard is done? : Richards is no position to ask for 8Mil nor would his agent be taken seriously if he demanded it.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I never underestimate the stupidity of NHL GM's when they get into a bidding war for a player.Every year guys get signed to deals that are beyond comprehension.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Why couldn't richards ask that?  He is a legit 1st line centre in the league right now

Don't be suprised he signs a 5 year-7 year deal with leafs @ 7 or 8 million a season

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey Bad !  I'll give you my opionin to your question. And my opinion has nothing to do with Brad Richards (who I read today in the Edmonton Journal either will stay in Dallas with Crawford, or go to NY and play with JT).

Anyway Bad. I believe the Bruins will start a rotation with Providence and see what shakes out. Caron, Hamill who ever. It's their time to shine. For this to happen, they have to park Pallie and give those guys a good shot. We have about a month to go until trade deadline and if nothing is shaking out with Providence, then maybe the B's might dangle one of the 7 D men in a trade with what ever. I'm not much into speculation. Suffice to say the Bruins do have something to trade with. Far be for me to figure out that picture.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Couldn't have said it better, Yaz. I think Richards will end up with a contract of 5-6 years at around 6M-7M a year. The free agency this coming summer is pretty weak as far as forwards. Outside of Alex Semin and Brad Richards, there aren't many elite names that put up real good numbers year in, and year out. If the Bruins want to join the bidding war for Richards, I'd be happy and all the power to them. He's a great player, and is one of the better centres in the NHL.

In the end, however, unless Savard was to somehow retire and give up the remaining years/dollars of his contract, thus leaving a roster spot open, I don't see Richards being a bruin. I too think he ends up with Toronto. However, what good is this constant speculation. After all, didn't a lot of people on here and various hockey experts think it was all but a given that Marleau would end up with Toronto last offseason?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: What if Savard is done? : Richards is no position to ask for 8Mil nor would his agent be taken seriously if he demanded it.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I always thought you knew what was going on. I don't agree all the time, but you at least make sense. You don't think Richards is in any position to ask for 8mil. He might get $9mil. 6th in scoring last year, and last I looked 6th this year. He's a Conn Smythe winner, when he won the Cup in TBay. Big, talented Centermen are rare, and one that has the creds to go with it... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Couldn't have said it better, Yaz. I think Richards will end up with a contract of 5-6 years at around 6M-7M a year. The free agency this coming summer is pretty weak as far as forwards. Outside of Alex Semin and Brad Richards, there aren't many elite names that put up real good numbers year in, and year out. If the Bruins want to join the bidding war for Richards, I'd be happy and all the power to them. He's a great player, and is one of the better centres in the NHL. In the end, however, unless Savard was to somehow retire and give up the remaining years/dollars of his contract, thus leaving a roster spot open, I don't see Richards being a bruin. I too think he ends up with Toronto. However, what good is this constant speculation. After all, didn't a lot of people on here and various hockey experts think it was all but a given that Marleau would end up with Toronto last offseason?
    Posted by Hockguy0818

If you are Richards, would you sign with Toronto? There has to be at least 4 or 5 good teams that would want him too. Teams that don't have a total lack of freaking talent. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts