What if Thomas signs with Islanders ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: What if Thomas signs with Islanders ?

"Official"

No paperwork as far as NHL.com knows.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I hope they light TT up.  I hope the back of TT's neck gets sunburned by the red flashing light.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I hope they light TT up.  I hope the back of TT's neck gets sunburned by the red flashing light.

BadHab, I really don't understand the "dislike" for TT. Heck, he delivered the first SC to the Bruins in forever. Yes, what he did was a problem for the B's management and fans, but he didn't 'dis' the town, or the team, or the fans, or the NHL. He didn't kill anyone, or embezzle anyone's Pension, or blow up a bomb. It all kind of worked out really well for the Bruins. 

He doesn't like Obama, and he wanted a year off. Who cares. 

I honestly wish him nothing but the best, and if it's in Florida, so be it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No, but he intentionally hooked them on the cap, as well as on trade possibilities - leave the politics out of it. He caused major headaches for the team. I can understand the dislike on that basis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

BadHab, I really don't understand the "dislike" for TT. Heck, he delivered the first SC to the Bruins in forever. Yes, what he did was a problem for the B's management and fans, but he didn't 'dis' the town, or the team, or the fans, or the NHL. He didn't kill anyone, or embezzle anyone's Pension, or blow up a bomb. It all kind of worked out really well for the Bruins. 

He doesn't like Obama, and he wanted a year off. Who cares. 

I honestly wish him nothing but the best, and if it's in Florida, so be it. 

Yep!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to red75's comment:

No, but he intentionally hooked them on the cap, as well as on trade possibilities - leave the politics out of it. He caused major headaches for the team. I can understand the dislike on that basis.

I understand Red, I do, but I can't ever dislike TT. How he did it, and whom he did it to! He's in my personal HHOF. Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Well put Red, this is my gripe with him as well. Sure his political views are his own and his facebook posts, along with his rants, started the teams downward spiral that year. But it was the way that he left the team on the hook for his cap hit and handcufed their trade possibilities that showed that he truely cared more about himself and not his teamates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Plus the arrogance of taking a year off and expecting to get a contract and make the Olympic team.

It disrespects the sport.

You still friends with the wife that cheated on you?  Well, good for you.  But if that happened to me, I wouldn't forgive.  No matter what she did.  Just like Thomas.

And Thomas wasn't the only reason that cup was won.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Plus the arrogance of taking a year off and expecting to get a contract and make the Olympic team.

It disrespects the sport.

You still friends with the wife that cheated on you?  Well, good for you.  But if that happened to me, I wouldn't forgive.  No matter what she did.  Just like Thomas.

And Thomas wasn't the only reason that cup was won.

No, I don't talk to her unless I have to, for the kids sake. Cheating $%^&#. But this isn't the same. It's Pro Hockey.

I understand, I just don't have it in me. 

Night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He'll perfrom well down there, because thats what he does. Then he'll be a Flyer by the deadline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He'll perfrom well down there, because thats what he does. Then he'll be a Flyer by the deadline.

Now, wait a minute, but maybe that's going too far.  I dislike him, but the Flyers?  Send him to goalie hell?  Really?  Harsh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to UtahBruin's comment:

Well put Red, this is my gripe with him as well. Sure his political views are his own and his facebook posts, along with his rants, started the teams downward spiral that year. But it was the way that he left the team on the hook for his cap hit and handcufed their trade possibilities that showed that he truely cared more about himself and not his teamates.

and if you don't think about 98% of the rest of the league doesn't care "more' about themselves....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

and if you don't think about 98% of the rest of the league doesn't care "more' about themselves....

98% of people in general.

Also, the Bruins would trade or demote TT in a heartbeat if they didn't need him anymore. Face it, we've all wanted to get a guy shipped out of town because he was under-performing, even though he is trying his best. It's business, and once you look at it that way, then you'll see you can't hold this against him.   

Do you remember the way they treated Andy Moog, back when they didn't think he was good enough anymore? It was disgraceful what the B's Management did. Changed my way of thinking. 

This is PRO SPORTS. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:

98% of people in general.

Also, the Bruins would trade or demote TT in a heartbeat if they didn't need him anymore. Face it, we've all wanted to get a guy shipped out of town because he was under-performing, even though he is trying his best. It's business, and once you look at it that way, then you'll see you can't hold this against him.   

Do you remember the way they treated Andy Moog, back when they didn't think he was good enough anymore? It was disgraceful what the B's Management did. Changed my way of thinking. 

This is PRO SPORTS. 

So now its ok that he left his team hanging bc he didnt want to get traded? The Bruins have every right to do that, HE works for THEM, not the other way around. What he did was selfish and unporfessional at best. Its pro sports getting traded is part of it. Walking out on your team like a spoiled brat screaming "you guys dont play fair, i dont wanna play anymore" is nothing short of being childish and selfish.

It is PRO SPORTS, this doesnt really help your argument. If someone isnt needed, or isnt playing well, why would a team who bases everything on winning want to employ you anymore? Im not trying to sound mean or anything but I dont get this logic. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I honestly feel like if you do truly look at it as a business, i dont see how any rational person cant see that what TT did was selfish and wrong.

He had a contract, he didnt honor and had no intention of doing so. You dont wanna play? RETIRE, dont leave your team hanging with your cap hit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

I honestly feel like if you do truly look at it as a business, i dont see how any rational person cant see that what TT did was selfish and wrong.

He had a contract, he didnt honor and had no intention of doing so. You dont wanna play? RETIRE, dont leave your team hanging with your cap hit.

^This.

Or anyone else.  You have a contractor and a torn apart kitchen and he decides he wants to spend more time with friends faith and family.  So do I.  But I go to work every day anyway.  Why should he get special treatment?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Davey, Badhab - sorry but I think that's a load of crap.  Davey, at what point in a business relationship do you criticize one of the parties for being selfish?  That's a criticism you level at someone for social reasons - like putting self ahead of the team. But as soon as it's about the business, you're talking about the franchise, not the team.  I find it completely contradictory to say that the franchise can jettison a player as soon as he's not part of their plan, but that a player is indentured because he works for the team.  If we're talking about professionals, then it's a job, and you can quit a job if you want to quit.  Quit is a bad word in sports, but not in the world of unionized labour.

Badhab, you absolutely have the right to walk into your boss's office tomorrow and tell him or her that you quit because you want to spend more time with friends and family; if you don't, it's probably because you want or need to continue to get paid.  Thomas gets "special treatment" by virtue of having been paid over $25M dollars in the last half decade.  He's got a nest egg.  Your contractor also has every right to walk up to you in the middle of the job and say "I'm out."  You have every right to sue that contractor for additional costs you incur because of it, and for any money you've paid in advance, but you have no lever to compel that contractor to complete the job.  Now that I think about it, I've seen contractors do this because the client insists on doing things against the contractor's advice that would compromise the quality of the work or the contractor's reputation or potentially expose the contractor to liability issues.  In other words, the customer wants to do something that the hired contractor doesn't want, so he quits and doesn't get paid.  Just like Thomas.

The major difference here, and the part that everyone gets bent about, is that you don't operate under a cap for contractors that makes it seem like you have to pay the first contractor out AND also absorb the cost of the contractor who finishes the job.  But that's management's fault.  If the Bruins didn't screw up the date on his 35+ contract, the only thing we'd be arguing about is how he took himself off the table as a trade asset, because the Bruins had no intention of Tim Thomas being the #1 goalie last year.  It's not any player's job to help management deal with the Cap, and retiring wouldn't have made any difference - he had a 35+ contract.

Am I happy Thomas walked? No, just like I'm not happy about Horton choosing to leave even though the Bruins are probably better with Iginla.  Do I think he was well within his rights to do so?  Yes.  Do I wish him ill because of it?  Sorta.  I don't want him to play well for another team; I don't want him to make the Olympics; I don't want other players to get ideas.  Two of those things also apply to Horton and Ference and a host of other guys who leave the Bruins.  Good luck...just not that good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

showed that he truely cared more about himself and not his teamates.

Who doesn't?  I certainly care a heck of a lot more about myself than I do any of my co-workers.  This isn't playskool.  This is real life.  The guy wanted to spend time with his family and had the financial ability to do so, along with the right.

The only difference between this and the compliance buyouts is that it is unconventional.  Player says he doesn't want to play despite his contract, bad player.  Team says they don't want a player to play despite his contract, good for the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Davey, Badhab - sorry but I think that's a load of crap.  Davey, at what point in a business relationship do you criticize one of the parties for being selfish?  That's a criticism you level at someone for social reasons - like putting self ahead of the team. But as soon as it's about the business, you're talking about the franchise, not the team.  I find it completely contradictory to say that the franchise can jettison a player as soon as he's not part of their plan, but that a player is indentured because he works for the team.  If we're talking about professionals, then it's a job, and you can quit a job if you want to quit.  Quit is a bad word in sports, but not in the world of unionized labour.

Bosses have more power than the workers. Thats how it works in ALL respects of work/life. Imagine the complete opposite--Could the team have him play for them, and them NOT pay him?

And yeah, i can quit my job if i want. But my salary wouldnt count against the company i work for for the rest of the year. They wouldnt be handcuffed by the rest of my  yearly salary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This has been debated more times than Coke vs. Pepsi, but I think Bruin fans certainly have the right to go either way on this.

TT was one of the greatest Bruins stories I can remember.  Came out of nowhere, battled his way in, and led them to a Stanley Cup.  Inspirational.  Watching him and Luongo go head-to-head, you had to be enternally grateful that he was our guy.  I loved that.  I was a huge fan.  My daughter was 3 then and still says "Timmy" when she sees the Bruins.

Then in the last months as a Bruin he unquestionable put himself over the team, caused unnecessary distractions, and left his teammates at a handicap for the next season.  Not even a Bookboy term paper can dance around the most simple notions of quitting and breaking a contract, regardless of the reasons.  It was ugly.

So you can chose to remember the good or the bad.  I think I'm at a net zero, influenced by both.  I would applaud him for what he did, when he comes back.  I can't imagine booing him.  But I have no allegiance to him or lingering loyalty at all.  I hope he doesn't make the Olympic team.  If the Bruins play him, I hope they light him up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I think NAS nailed it. It appears to be a double standard for the team and fans vs the player. 

Once you take away a person's ability to make their own decisions on how they want to live their life, then it becomes a form of slavery. An indentured servant. 

I would have preferred Tim stay in Boston for the rest of his career, and have his # raise to the rafters. But he made a different decision, and he is entitled to do so. 

If you want freedom of choice, then you have to allow it for everyone, good or bad.             

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

To me at least, this has absolutely NOTHING about how he wants to live his life. He walked away from a signed document saying he would do something.

He handcuffed his team.

Its not like i even hate him or anything, i LOVED his game! I dont want to get lumped in with 'haters' bc I genuinely think hes one of the best goalies in Bruins history. I just have strong feelings about how he handled his departure.

Would everyone be this forgiving if Lucic or Krejci decided to just take the year off leaving the team stuck with his cap hit?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

showed that he truely cared more about himself and not his teamates.

Who doesn't?  I certainly care a heck of a lot more about myself than I do any of my co-workers.  This isn't playskool.  This is real life.  The guy wanted to spend time with his family and had the financial ability to do so, along with the right.

The only difference between this and the compliance buyouts is that it is unconventional.  Player says he doesn't want to play despite his contract, bad player.  Team says they don't want a player to play despite his contract, good for the team.

When you run a team, you get to do that. You are the boss. You call the shots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

To me at least, this has absolutely NOTHING about how he wants to live his life. He walked away from a signed document saying he would do something.

Look at all of the teams that walked away from signed contracts this summer.  They agreed to pay Player A, in guaranteed money, for the next X years.  They they huddled, changed the rules and decided that money was no longer guaranteed.  Signed contracts, right?

Look at all of the signed contracts that got rolled back after 2004-05. 

Thomas agreed to be paid $5M to play.  He did play. He didn't get paid.  It's his right.  As someone mentioned, these guys aren't servants. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE] He'll perfrom well down there, because thats what he does. Then he'll be a Flyer by the deadline./QUOTE]

If Holmgren could finally figure out the cap, Thomas would probably already be a Flyer.

Sections
Shortcuts