What if Thomas signs with Islanders ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: What if Thomas signs with Islanders ?

Comparing the life of a hockey player to that of a servant/slave is ridiculous.

I hate that the teams didnt honor contracts with buyouts and such. IMO its still a signed document. They should have honored them. If you are an owner/gm and you have a player sign a ludicrous contract, you should be held to it. Unfortunately, when you have the power like the owners do, you get to change the rules to your benefit everyone once and a while. Not fair and i dont agree with it necessarily, but again, thats how the system works.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I think NAS nailed it. It appears to be a double standard for the team and fans vs the player. 

Once you take away a person's ability to make their own decisions on how they want to live their life, then it becomes a form of slavery. An indentured servant. 

I would have preferred Tim stay in Boston for the rest of his career, and have his # raise to the rafters. But he made a different decision, and he is entitled to do so. 

If you want freedom of choice, then you have to allow it for everyone, good or bad.             

Remember that he specifically negotiated for that extra year in his contract.  He certainly had 'freedom of choice' then...

I don't think anybody is debating the rights of players.  But some fans may favor the team-first approach of guys like Chara and Bergeron who also have families that they love.  We're just talking about preferences here, I think.  I prefer the guys who have stuck with the team.  I prfer the way Horton left.  Played out his contract and was totally up front with the team about wanting to play elsewhere so that he could be replaced.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

We agree to disagree. I'd be more concerned if he COULDN'T exercise his right to work or not to work. 

But back to the original Post. If TT did go to the Island, that might be a scary good team. There are some real flaws yet there, but a guy like Timmy can cover a lot of them up.

Just like he might really elevate the Panthers. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

We agree to disagree. I'd be more concerned if he COULDN'T exercise his right to work or not to work. 

But back to the original Post. If TT did go to the Island, that might be a scary good team. There are some real flaws yet there, but a guy like Timmy can cover a lot of them up.

I still can't believe that the Isles didn't try to sign him.  Or Khudo for that matter...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nope.  They could actually brick up the net and would still find a way to miss the playoffs.  With a human in there, it's Bottom 3 or worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'm p'oed at him for handcuffing the B's, but I also think he did the B's a favor by being honest. Everyone in here at point has had a job where their deameaner & attitude changes towards it. If he would've just stayed & played out his final yr & his mind isn't on hockey, but instead it was focused on the 3 F's. If you don't have the heart, or desire & feel unable to play to the best of his abiltiy he was obligated not as an athelete but a human being to say he's not in the proper mindset to play. For that I'm Thankful he did it.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I'm p'oed at him for handcuffing the B's, but I also think he did the B's a favor by being honest. Everyone in here at point has had a job where their deameaner & attitude changes towards it. If he would've just stayed & played out his final yr & his mind isn't on hockey, but instead it was focused on the 3 F's. If you don't have the heart, or desire & feel unable to play to the best of his abiltiy he was obligated not as an athelete but a human being to say he's not in the proper mindset to play. For that I'm Thankful he did it.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

That's actually another interesting angle.  His demeanor at the end of the Washington series did not seem to be what is was in 2011.  And everything worked out pretty well after he left.  That has taken the sting away for me and allowed me to appreciate his body of work more than the irritating way it ended.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How did he stick the B's salary cap wise?

Did they even have to dip into the Savard reserve last season?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In hindsight, they managed it.  At the time, they suddenly discovered that they lost cap space to a player who wasn't going to be there, despite the contract.  They had to make due with a lower salary cap because of that.  They did it, and it worked out.  That was fortunate.

I'm over it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In hindsight, they managed it.  At the time, they suddenly discovered that they lost cap space to a player who wasn't going to be there, despite the contract. They had to make due with a lower salary cap because of that.  They did it, and it worked out.  That was fortunate.

I'm over it.

In Thomas they had a solid trade chip who coincidentally was about to have his NMC expire. Rask was starting in Boston last year and I have no idea where TT would've ended up because he refused to let us find out. He wanted the exact deal that he got. I remember the raised eyebrows at the deal he received. I also remember his pledge that regardless of all else, the Bruins could count on him showing up and giving 100% for the length of his contract. People are free to adore his every move. I feel like he let the team down. I'm no more right than the next guy though.