What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

I have trouble gauging the trade value of someone like Thomas compared to younger players....

But could something like Leddy for Thomas be a fair trade for both sides? Chicago all ready has Duncan Keith and Seabrook, plus a very good top 6 and some good young players for the 3-4 lines. A goaltender like Thomas could make them very strong cup contenders for the next few years. 

Also, after two dissapointing first round exits and no goaltending, they could look to make a splash in that department.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I like that the Bruins would be dealing from a position of strength on any potential dealing of Thomas.  If they have to lose a top roster player I'd also hope they get one in return to provide immediate help.  That said I'd hate to be in Chiarelli's shoes on this one. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?:
    I have trouble gauging the trade value of someone like Thomas compared to younger players.... But could something like Leddy for Thomas be a fair trade for both sides? Chicago all ready has Duncan Keith and Seabrook, plus a very good top 6 and some good young players for the 3-4 lines. A goaltender like Thomas could make them very strong cup contenders for the next few years.  Also, after two dissapointing first round exits and no goaltending, they could look to make a splash in that department.
    Posted by Bisson1

Thomas would be an instant upgrade over Crawford and Emery.  That Chicago roster seems to have everything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : Thomas would be an instant upgrade over Crawford and Emery.  That Chicago roster seems to have everything else.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

The Hawks are built to win now and TT would make them serious Cup contenders next year,they wouldn't be with Crawford or Emery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Getting the 10th pick (and more?) would be a dream. I think you could then send one of your picks to another team to shore up a weakness. A team that wants Timmy won't want to give up a good player, and team dumping a good player won't want an old goaler. But having an extra 1st could make a deal for a proven player much easier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : I'm not so sure about that.  Right after giving up those picks, they turned and signed Varlamov to a three year deal.  That's it.  A very good 1st and 2nd round pick for a goalie that is signed for two more years... ...dumb
    Posted by Fletcher1

They'll still retain his rights after though won't they? He'll still be RFA at the end of his deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : The Hawks are built to win now and TT would make them serious Cup contenders next year,they wouldn't be with Crawford or Emery.
    Posted by 50belowzero

You're right 50.  Thomas improves an already solid team.  Of the WC teams that made the playoffs this year, I can't see the present Hawks' duo as being superior to Smith in Phoenix, the Blues' Halak/Elliot pair, Howard in Detroit, Schneider in Van and they certainly don't top Rinne or Quick.  Either Crawford or Emery might be in the same category as Niemi maybe?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Great topic Dez, but to think he's in the same conference? Isn't that just asking for mud your face? Im not one to live in the past, but it just seems that history has a tendacy of repeating itself. Especially goalies that get traded out of Boston. Raycroft excluded, but there's 3 others that came back to haunt the B's & with TT being the way he is. IF the scenerio were to happen that TT was in goal against them. What TT do you think would show up?
    Posted by nitemare-38

Nite, I definitely don't want to see him traded within the conference. I was just trying to gauge what people felt he was worth at this point with his contract being what it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't like the draft pick at all. 
    Also I could see the news coming out before the draft Bruins asking Thomas to waive his NTC ad then nothing happens.Not a way to dangle the 2 time Vezina and Conne Smythe trophy winner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : You're right 50.  Thomas improves an already solid team.  Of the WC teams that made the playoffs this year, I can't see the present Hawks' duo as being superior to Smith in Phoenix, the Blues' Halak/Elliot pair, Howard in Detroit, Schneider in Van and they certainly don't top Rinne or Quick.  Either Crawford or Emery might be in the same category as Niemi maybe?
    Posted by RichHillOntario

I think that is a fair comparison RHO,even though the Hawks won a Cup with Niemi,thay might have won it in spite of him.I don't see Leaky Lu going to Chicago and if he did they likely wouldn't win it all with him anyway,with TT thats a different story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I don't like the draft pick at all.  Also I could see the news coming out before the draft Bruins asking Thomas to waive his NTC ad then nothing happens.Not a way to dangle the 2 time Vezina and Conne Smythe trophy winner.
    Posted by BsLegion

If a trade just for a pick/s happens it also adds 5 million in cap space that could be possibly used elsewhere. I'm not saying that's the way to go but what if that meant getting in on the Parise/Suter sweepstakes? Does that change your mind?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : If a trade just for a pick/s happens it also adds 5 million in cap space that could be possibly used elsewhere. I'm not saying that's the way to go but what if that meant getting in on the Parise/Suter sweepstakes? Does that change your mind?
    Posted by dezaruchi

but will the Bruins go all out with the CBA pending ?  Traditionally conservative.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Personally, I think trading Thomas leaves vulnerable in goal. If we trade him, we are left with an unproven duo. Yes, Rask was good a few years back in the regular season, but he still hasn't proven he can play well for 55 to 60 games a season. Khudobin's lack of NHL experience makes him unproven. As for what we can for Thomas if we trade, I don't think it will be good enough. He is 38 years old and even though he is a proven goalie, teams won't want to give up top notched talent for a player of his age. I don't believe the player we get will help win a Cup next season more than Thomas will. Another thing going against Thomas is he isn't going to be the only goalie available. Kiprusoff could be available. Jonathan Bernier may be available and Roberto Luongo. Antii Niemi is also said to be available. Having these goalies available makes Thomas worth less. I know only Thomas & Niemi have Cups in the group, but every one of those goalies, including Kiprusoff, is younger than Thomas. I don't think trading Thomas for a 3rd line player is going to help us win the Cup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Personally, I think trading Thomas leaves vulnerable in goal. If we trade him, we are left with an unproven duo. Yes, Rask was good a few years back in the regular season, but he still hasn't proven he can play well for 55 to 60 games a season. Khudobin's lack of NHL experience makes him unproven. As for what we can for Thomas if we trade, I don't think it will be good enough. He is 38 years old and even though he is a proven goalie, teams won't want to give up top notched talent for a player of his age. I don't believe the player we get will help win a Cup next season more than Thomas will. Another thing going against Thomas is he isn't going to be the only goalie available. Kiprusoff could be available. Jonathan Bernier may be available and Roberto Luongo. Antii Niemi is also said to be available. Having these goalies available makes Thomas worth less. I know only Thomas & Niemi have Cups in the group, but every one of those goalies, including Kiprusoff, is younger than Thomas. I don't think trading Thomas for a 3rd line player is going to help us win the Cup.
    Posted by lordy4

TT is still better than the goalies you've mentioned so his value doesn't go down at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Posted by lordy4

Of all the goalies you mentioned TT is the only one that played in the eastern conference,teams in the west might be less likely to trade a goalie in the conference for the age old reason he might come back to bite them.It could happen but there is a reason to believe it won't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : They'll still retain his rights after though won't they? He'll still be RFA at the end of his deal.
    Posted by dezaruchi

They will, but aside from the Stastny contract, the Avs are a cheap organization that always lowball their FA/RFA's and then get outbid.  I think that either Varlamov isn't very good and they can then resign him, or he's fantastic and then wants more money than they will give him.  Kind of a lose-lose situation.  I was absolutely stunned that after giving up those draft picks they signed him for only three years.  Makes no sense.  When they gave up that much, I just assumed that they had already discussed a longer term deal with him.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : They will, but aside from the Stastny contract, the Avs are a cheap organization that always lowball their FA's and then get outbid.  I think that either Varlamov isn't very good and they can then resign him, or he's fantastic and then wants more money than they will give him.  Kind of a lose-lose situation.  I was absolutely stunned that after giving up those draft picks they signed him for only two years.  Makes no sense.  When they gave up that much, I just assumed that they had already discussed a longer term deal with him.   
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch, I think the deal was signed at that length just so that it wouldn't take him to UFA status. If it was 1 year longer they'd lose the leverage that RFA status holds. If they get outbid they'd still get picks back right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I would not be comfortable starting next season with a #1 goalie that has a .500 winning % over the last 2 years, and a losing record, in a year that his team won the Stanley Cup.
    Add to that, a backup with almost no NHL experience, and nothing in the system, remotely ready for prime time, in case of injury.
       Especially if all that was coming back, was a 1st round draft pick, in what many are saying, is a weak draft-year.
    It does not make any sense to me, for a team that is supposed to be a contender, to move such a valuable asset as TT, weakening the most important position in hockey, and receiving no immediate help, back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I would not be comfortable starting next season with a #1 goalie that has a .500 winning % over the last 2 years, and a losing record, in a year that his team won the Stanley Cup. Add to that, a backup with almost no NHL experience, and nothing in the system, remotely ready for prime time, in case of injury.    Especially if all that was coming back, was a 1st round draft pick, in what many are saying, is a weak draft-year. It does not make any sense to me, for a team that is supposed to be a contender, to move such a valuable asset as TT, weakening the most important position in hockey, and receiving no immediate help, back.
    Posted by biggskye

It's actually a very deep draft. At least 10 guys with top 5 potential. Someone is getting a good player at 10th overall.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : It's actually a very deep draft. At least 10 guys with top 5 potential. Someone is getting a good player at 10th overall.
    Posted by dezaruchi

My impression is different. In the latest top 10 ranking, there are 4 forwards, with a combined goal total of 52. Seguin, by himself, had 48, in his draft year. There are 5 defencemen, who seem to be going up and down the rankings. There is also a goalie rated in the top 10, which is an indication to me, that the quality of skaters may be limited.
       Even if Boston was able to draft a quality player with the pick they would receive for TT, it would not help them now.
    Of course, I said the same thing when they traded Kessel, and that seemed to have worked out ok, so what the heck do I know ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would keep Thomas for the season and make this decision around 20 gms. into the season. Rask can played against the tougher opponents during this 20 gm. span to see where he is at. Let us not forget we still have not sign Rask this kid could be the one that TB is intersted in not Thomas.

Rask for 1st rd. pick would not surprise me either ( or if TB is willing to give Aulie (RFA guarantee that he signs with the Bruins) and 2nd rd. pick in a Rask deal. This kid Aulie and Hamilton can make a solid future d core Aulie McQuaid Boys and Hamilton along with big Z can be a tough top five d men. For years to come.

Thomas or Rask for Aulie (condition he signs with the Bruins) plus other conditional picks.

Or a simpler trade Thomas straight for Sharp.

Lucic Seguin Horton (not sure on his health situation for next season)
    Marchand Bergy Sharp
    Caron Peverly ???????
    ??????? ??????? Thornton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : That's just it, I think Tampa needs to strike fast.  Like in the next few years.  I know that Stamkos, Purcell, Hedman, and Connelly will be around for a while, but Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone, and Brewer won't.  I think getting a Vezina contending goalie who has proven himself in the playoffs (recently) would be worth more, even for just 3 years, than a draft pick that may or may not ever do anything. I think the Bruins could request a Varlamov-like return.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I was thinking about who you could feasibly trade TT for. Obviously the pink hat suggestions like Patrick Kane are completely out of the picture. But what about a TT for MSL swap?

A line of Lucic-Seguin-MSL might be pretty deadly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't really like the pick scenario.  As said above, this team isn't rebuilding, and that is a huge factor.  Trading TT for picks is without question, hampering the possibility to cash in now, and the Bruins are in the moment.  A few other things.  Using the Tampa example thrown about here, the obvious needs to be pointed out.    These high end scorers, we're all so dissappointed we don't have here....mean squat if you don't have strong goaltending.
    It's been suggested that the b's wouldn't be able to get a great player back for TT.  I disagree, unless some team just wants him as a rental(which the B's wouldn't want to deal with), they'll probably need to clear some cap space to fit him in post 2012. I also think TT's trade value may be higher in Dec, than it is now. There's no logic to suggest his skills are going to fall off a cliff in the next 6 months, so assuming he's still good, a lot of teams will be facing extreme preasure to fix issues resulting in disappointing starts to the season. Finally, there's the cap space issue, many feel is golden. I don't. This year, we had a fair amount of cap space, but what good is that, if there's nobody out there that you want at a reasonable term.
    There are question marks at the position if TT goes. Why monkey with probably your greatest strength, when it's still guaranteed for 1 more year. A year that this team should be expected to go deep.
    I can only think of 2 reasons why the B's would make a deal before the start of next year.  1., the deal is just too good. 2.  They know TT doesn't want to play in Boston any longer than he has to.  That second one is huge, and i'm sure considerable effort has been placed in trying to figure that out.  TT appears to dance to a different drum when money is involved, so, lets say maybe he wants to finish out his career in Detroit, and is willing to take a big pay cut...then the Bruins will need to act sooner.  If he wants to re-sign in Boston, and the B's figure they can sign him to a reasonable contract, I think he stays around. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

See what happens when you have a contract like Lecavalier's. You have to think about moving a player like Martin St. Louis whom is the catalyst and leader of the Lightning. Too bad it won't fix Tampa as their defense was atrocious and taking a player like MSL would hurt the team even worse no matter how great Thomas performed.

No matter who inquires about TT during the draft you can bet Zito will demand a new contract. If Zito states Thomas will be testing free agency next summer then he stays till the deadline next March.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : Fletch, I think the deal was signed at that length just so that it wouldn't take him to UFA status. If it was 1 year longer they'd lose the leverage that RFA status holds. If they get outbid they'd still get picks back right.
    Posted by dezaruchi

You're probably right dez, but I just have very little confidence that the Avs will re-sign him, and then they will have given up key draft picks for a short-term keeper.  They can't ever figure put what they are doing.  If they are rebuilding, they should keep their picks like Edmonton.  If they are decisively trying to get a number one keeper for the future, I think they need to make sure that he stays in the system for years to come.  In short, I just think it was a bad deal.  Their actual 1st round picks (Duchene and Landeskog) seem to be much more valuable than getting three years of Varlamov.  I think they overspent badly, and missed out on another top-end prospect.  Now the Bruins need to find someone just like them to deal Thomas... 

Sections
Shortcuts