What is a fair weather fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

What is a fair weather fan?

Seems to me, a lot of you think it's people who wear their emotions on your sleave and complain when things are going bad.  People who dare to react negatively to negative things and positively to positive things.  People who post here during a game, pointing out whats going wrong and YES, many times letting their emotions get the better of them and overreacting.

But to me, this a fair weather fan....

The person who doesn't post anything until the game is over and most importantly, ONLY if the Bruins win.  If Boston lost that game, a lot of you would not have signed in here and said anything.  But since they did, you're so quick to jump in and quote every negative post made and insult the person who made it.  What do you think, we're upset they won?  What are kidding me.  We obviously care a whole bunch about this team, otherwise we wouldn't react so emotionally

What's a fair weather fan?  The kind you only see when the weather is fair

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

Re: What is a fair weather fan?

Someone concerned about what type of fan they are....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I did not get to watch many games during the season. We move around(military-wife). Currently TX. But have been a Bruins fan for all my life. I watch them when I can or when they are on during the regular season. And I watch them for my Dad as well. He is 69 and watches every single game win or lose and has done so all his life. He is a fan who is devoted to his team.

It is great now since the playoffs have them on every other night(or so) I watch. I text my sister. And call my father and chat with my brothers(all live in Mass). I get emotional over a win and a loss. I scream after every Bs goal(waking up my kids) and I shake my head in digust after every opposing game(especially the softies). I post during games, like the one last night, Can the Bs play anyworse....referring to that first period. I try to be honest and objective. I say how I feel, just an opinion, and honestly don't care if I get blasted. I don't hide behind the wins or the losses. I love watching this team, even if they are a bit aggravating. How can you not be pleased with how they bounced back in each series.

As for the fair weather fans, it might be those who claim to never say anything negative about their team. Or just come on and blast those who voice their opions or concerns. The words might not always be written well or precise, but at least they are trying to be heard.

Great win. Keep it going Bs. Beat them in TB and knock Downie on his arss in the process.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

someone who posts a thread asking a question, "what's a fair weather fan?" bit of a guilty conscience eh? i'm not sure what it will mean to you, but IF the bruins win it all, it will mean a lot to me, knowing i STOOD BEHIND THEM THE WHOLE WAY. thru good bad and ugly, not just when it was easy to be a fan. there's a huge difference. it's like someone who bets on both fighters in vegas, hedging their bet, you're right either way right? don't tell us you support a team, if it's only when they win. i'll be here win or loss, cup or no cup, you can count on that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan?:
    [QUOTE]someone who posts a thread asking a question, "what's a fair weather fan?" bit of a guilty conscience eh? i'm not sure what it will mean to you, but IF the bruins win it all, it will mean a lot to me, knowing i STOOD BEHIND THEM THE WHOLE WAY. thru good bad and ugly, not just when it was easy to be a fan. there's a huge difference. it's like someone who bets on both fighters in vegas, hedging their bet, you're right either way right? don't tell us you support a team, if it's only when they win. i'll be here win or loss, cup or no cup, you can count on that. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I'm here win or lose as well.   I just take the losses real hard.......I'm not proud of it.  

If they win the cup, I'll be the happiest SOB in New England

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cutthroat. Show cutthroat's posts

In Response to What is a fair weather fan?:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me, a lot of you think it's people who wear their emotions on your sleave and complain when things are going bad.  People who dare to react negatively to negative things and positively to positive things.  People who post here during a game, pointing out whats going wrong and YES, many times letting their emotions get the better of them and overreacting. But to me, this a fair weather fan.... The person who doesn't post anything until the game is over and most importantly, ONLY if the Bruins win.  If Boston lost that game, a lot of you would not have signed in here and said anything.  But since they did, you're so quick to jump in and quote every negative post made and insult the person who made it.  What do you think, we're upset they won?  What are kidding me.  We obviously care a whole bunch about this team, otherwise we wouldn't react so emotionally What's a fair weather fan?  The kind you only see when the weather is fair
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

A fair weather fan is the one who's ready to jump ship as soon as something goes wrong.  Yesterday it was a little over a minute into the game.  And you're wrong, us true fans are out here win or lose.  Our posts are typically in response to your fire Julien, screw Chirelli posts that seem to swallow up other more positive posts on the site.  Try sitting back and enjoying the game, instead of sitting there with your computer ready to opine at the slightest turn for the worst.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What is a fair weather fan? : A fair weather fan is the one who's ready to jump ship as soon as something goes wrong.  Yesterday it was a little over a minute into the game.  And you're wrong, us true fans are out here win or lose.  Our posts are typically in response to your fire Julien, screw Chirelli posts that seem to swallow up other more positive posts on the site.  Try sitting back and enjoying the game, instead of sitting there with your computer ready to opine at the slightest turn for the worst.
    Posted by cutthroat[/QUOTE]

If that's how you describe yourself, than you're not who I'm talking about

I'm talking about the people who stay away after losses and only pop in after wins to say, "see I told you so"

As if the rest of us didn't want the team to win or that they're now the only ones who deserve to enjoy it.  I deserve to enjoy it.  Look at the misery I put myself through.....again, not proud of that.  But after that, you bet your a#% I'm going to celebrate a big win.  

It's the whole reason I support them.  I want to see them win so flippin bad, admitedly, it makes me kind of nuts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : If that's how you describe yourself, than you're not who I'm talking about I'm talking about the people who stay away after losses and only pop in after wins to say, "see I told you so" As if the rest of us didn't want the team to win or that they're now the only ones who deserve to enjoy it.  I deserve to enjoy it.  

To be honest, I usually see that it's the exact opposite. After a win, there's crickets on this board. After a loss, all the negativity comes pouring out. Especially from trolls but also from a lot of people here just can't stop the negative thinking towards this team. I guess it's a factor of the Bs not winning a cup in a long time but I don't put that burden on this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

swerengen.. it's what you say while you're here that matters. that's the point. anybody can log on and call themselves a fan. it's easy to be a fan when the team is winning. that's what fair-weather fans do. to post supporting the bruins after a loss is not as easy. it's called unconditional love my friend.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

here ya go...i ripped them the other day and said they were soft and pathetic... and should have made tb pay in period two and three by taking the body every time....   i still see tb getting away with far to much around the net and with key players but did you see what happened in third pariod last night....

they took the body ...every time..every player...     so good job boys...  wasnt sure they could recover... now go there and play this game correctly... physically and skating

their power play is still pathetic but their penalty kill has been good..its never over till its over but I hope they physically pound them and then pound them some more

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]swerengen.. it's what you say while you're here that matters. that's the point. anybody can log on and call themselves a fan. it's easy to be a fan when the team is winning. that's what fair-weather fans do. to post supporting the bruins after a loss is not as easy. it's called unconditional love my friend.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Wow.....I'm not sure I have that in me.  hahaha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Nothing wrong with some healthy constructive criticism or venting after they stink out the joint. The Bruins don't need our unconditional support, unless it's at the game and crowd noise becomes a factor.

At home? Not so much. Feel free to celebrate the good, point out the bad and talk strategy to your heart's content. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

Pederson this morning was talking about the Bruins being 1 win away from the Cup Finals, but somehow he just didn't feel good about it. Doesn't make him any less of a fan...he sees what we all see, which is a team that is grinding it's way to wins without playing their best hockey. I'm in his court: I celebrate the ugly wins, but sure wish they'd play up to their talent level (win or lose). What can ya do? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I admittedly tend to go to other forums, rather than here, or just talk about the game on the phone, after a loss. Does that make me a fair weather fan? I don't think so. I'm still just as into the Bruins, I just stopped coming here after losses, after doing that for a very long time.

Why?

Because it doesn't matter if it's the first loss in 10 games, every one is treated exactly the same way by numerous posters, including Swerengen - like the end of the world!!

Seriously, a number of posters on her lose their collective minds after every single loss. Those are fairweather fans for you,and I'm tired of dealing with them. I quite simply have better things to do then get drawn into their rants and negativity, so I chose to do other things after losses now.

Life's too short.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDecision. Show TheDecision's posts

A fair weather fan is a fan who only likes the Bruins when they are good...plain and simple...a fair weather fan is someone who has only been a fan since the past 3 years...doesn't matter if you post on forums or not...a true fan sticks with the team through the rough years...true fans can talk negatively all they want about the team, that doesn't make them a bad fan, it makes them a concerned fan...not really hard to understand honestly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I admittedly tend to go to other forums, rather than here, or just talk about the game on the phone, after a loss. Does that make me a fair weather fan? I don't think so. I'm still just as into the Bruins, I just stopped comehere after losses, after doing that for a very long time. Why? Because it doesn't matter if it's the first loss in 10 games, every one is treated exactly the same way by numerous posters, including Swerengen - the end of the world!! Seriously, a number of posters on her lose their collective minds after every single loss. I quite simply have better things to do then get drawn into their rants and negativity, so I chose to do other things after losses now. Life's too short.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Sure thing Red, but don't the losses sometimes bring out the best hockey talk? If the PP were going at a 25% clip, we'd have nothing to do but throw roses at their feet. But since it's struggling, we can have informed conversation on what the issue is and what we'd do to solve it....or to use it to gain insight into the coach's thinking.

I agree on the blind team-bashing stuff being an utter waste of time. We have to wade through it to get the the good stuff. It's usually pretty easy to find out where the good conversation is happening.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

[QUOTE]Seems to me, a lot of you think it's people who wear their emotions on your sleave and complain when things are going bad.  People who dare to react negatively to negative things and positively to positive things.  People who post here during a game, pointing out whats going wrong and YES, many times letting their emotions get the better of them and overreacting. But to me, this a fair weather fan.... The person who doesn't post anything until the game is over and most importantly, ONLY if the Bruins win.  If Boston lost that game, a lot of you would not have signed in here and said anything.  But since they did, you're so quick to jump in and quote every negative post made and insult the person who made it.  What do you think, we're upset they won?  What are kidding me.  We obviously care a whole bunch about this team, otherwise we wouldn't react so emotionally What's a fair weather fan?  The kind you only see when the weather is fair

A fair-weather fan is someone who doesn't know enough about the Bruins to be critical of them when they play bad.  Who has to wait until the end of a game and see the final score to decide if the team played well.  You only hear from them when the team is winning (ie when there is "fair weather")...like you!

News flash....sure we won last night.  But incase you didn't notice, we were outplayed and had it not been for TT standing on his head...again, the score could have easily been 4-2 Tampa.

So before you go preaching to everyone and trying to put them in pretty little categories; take a look at yourself.  The bruins true fans have been posting here for years and know when to call luck luck.  They are true fans because they vent their frustration on this board and will watch the next game no matter what. 

True Bruins fans are educated enough about hockey to engage each other  during good play and bad play, win or lose...they don't just wait until the end of the game and comment on how good the bruins played...that is the job of a cheerleader.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't really like all of this judging of fans either, and really, there is no answer -- but you know it when you see it.

I think the most conspicuous trait of the fair-weather fan is the desire to get out in front of the possible collapse or failure, so you can feel better about yourself and say "told ya so" to everyone else.  It is a defense mechanism, a reaction to insecurity, and I understand it. 

But it is very annoying when this team shows some flaws or doubts, and people are falling all over themselves to jump off the ship and run to the safety of saying "I knew they would fail".  Some fans here actually start to drift so far as to root against the team, so it will fulfill their doomsday predictions and they can seem smarter here.  But they'd still be at the parade going crazy if things turned around.  That's fair-weather.

You saw a lot of that when they were down 0-2 to Montreal.  It wasn't just the frustration (that we were ALL feeling), it was the quiting on the team and giving up hope after 2 games that was so weak for any true fan.  We all get upset at the failures and yell at the team and vent or whatever.  The difference is, do you bail out early so it won't be as pianful when they lose, or do you stick around, be faithful, and thereby maximize the joy/pain of the end result.

I say, go all in, and prepare for total despair or euphoria!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

i think your right about the fair-weather fans being deep down bruins fans. in this forum its not hard to figure out who is and who isnt. one of the posters wrote"someone concerned about what type of fan they are" is right on. for me a fair-weather fan is a pile-jumper. when things get bad(going down the 1st goal last night in a minute 15 second,losing 3 goal lead, down 0-2 to Montreal) if u find yourself running to the computer to pronounce them dead or getting into i told u so stuff. u did this yourself last. i mean u have every right to write whatever u want. u were mad so was i, huge game for the bruins and within first 2 minutes they look like the keystone cops out there. now everyone is mad and there are reasons the goal happened from krejci's bad decision and being unable to keep the puck the offensive zone, getting knock off the puck, ference losing an edge, boychuck in ablity to intercept the pass from stamkos to gagne,thomas not stopping shot and even how the bruins came out flat! did u talk about any of this? NOPE!
    "This series ended in the second period of game 4"
    "They're toast now.  Keep watching and rooting and saying everything will be okay"I guess it will take the horn sounding at the end of game 6 with a bunch of Lightning leaping up and down in jubilation for it to finally sink in"
    swerengen u did the same thing when the bruins were 0-2 against Montreal. u pounced. u pile jumped. if u have to ask IT probably means u are one. a fair-weather fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

well said fletch....i'm all in...and i hope we have pocket aces!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's pretty simple, really. A fair-weather fan is a fan who comes out when the going is good. There's nothing wrong with that. The Bruins are making a serious run at The Cup, and you're going to see people rooting for them you've never seen before. Casual fans become more invested in championship situations, and given Boston's remarkable championship history -- particularly recently -- we should be used to that kind of behavior.

As far as forums like this, and how and when people post, I can't really say. You will all no doubt recognize that I don't post in this forum (although I read it frequently). The thing about discussion is that it is more often fueled by frustration than by content. For sheer insanity, the Red Sox forum just down the hallway from here makes this board look like naptime at Kinder Kare. The Red Sox play every day, and people run out of things to talk about . . .  or they rehash the same topic to death. On the Sox recent six-game winning streak you could've heard a pin drop in there, but let Daniel Bard blow one save, and it's like the inside of a popcorn popper.

People are funny that way, and the affliction seems particularly virulent in New England, for reasons John Calvin might be able to illuminate.

All that said, I agree with the guy who said the most likely definiton of a "fair-weather" fan is the kind of guy who has to ask.

Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really like all of this judging of fans either, and really, there is no answer -- but you know it when you see it. I think the most conspicuous trait of the fair-weather fan is the desire to get out in front of the possible collapse or failure, so you can feel better about yourself and say "told ya so" to everyone else.  It is a defense mechanism, a reaction to insecurity, and I understand it.  But it is very annoying when this team shows some flaws or doubts, and people are falling all over themselves to jump off the ship and run to the safety of saying "I knew they would fail".  Some fans here actually start to drift so far as to root against the team, so it will fulfill their doomsday predictions and they can seem smarter here.  But they'd still be at the parade going crazy if things turned around.  That's fair-weather. You saw a lot of that when they were down 0-2 to Montreal.  It wasn't just the frustration (that we were ALL feeling), it was the quiting on the team and giving up hope after 2 games that was so weak for any true fan.  We all get upset at the failures and yell at the team and vent or whatever.  The difference is, do you bail out early so it won't be as pianful when they lose, or do you stick around, be faithful, and thereby maximize the joy/pain of the end result. I say, go all in, and prepare for total despair or euphoria!
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    great post fletch. all the things i was trying to say in my post but u put it better. the part about how fans can drift so far that they start rooting against the bruins. i feel that way too, i think deep down all the fair-weather fans are just jaded from something that has happened in the past with this team. part of me cant blame them especially if your in my age bracket. im 35 and can u honestly think of a generation of bruins fans that has been kicked in the sack more? i started to become i real fan of the team around 86-87. at the start it was awesome and the bruins were close but everything after about 92 has been an all out nightmare. sticking by them has been as tough as it gets as a sports fan but now it is when all of it pays off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Wait so not responding to all the negative posts after a loss makes me a fair-weather fan? Are you serious? Are you 12?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

I wear my pink hat proudly.  If there was no bandwagon, how could I jump on it?  Based on some of the criteria set out in the previous posts, I am a fair weather fan.  Does it really matter?  I don't post here often, just come by to read and get some education at lunch.  Us fairweather fans are the future die-hards.  Gotta start somewhere....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonglo. Show tonglo's posts

An aspiring meteorologist who likes overcast days.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What is a fair weather fan? : A fair-weather fan is someone who doesn't know enough about the Bruins to be critical of them when they play bad.  Who has to wait until the end of a game and see the final score to decide if the team played well.  You only hear from them when the team is winning (ie when there is "fair weather")...like you! News flash....sure we won last night.  But incase you didn't notice, we were outplayed and had it not been for TT standing on his head...again, the score could have easily been 4-2 Tampa. So before you go preaching to everyone and trying to put them in pretty little categories; take a look at yourself.  The bruins true fans have been posting here for years and know when to call luck luck.  They are true fans because they vent their frustration on this board and will watch the next game no matter what.  True Bruins fans are educated enough about hockey to engage each other  during good play and bad play, win or lose...they don't just wait until the end of the game and comment on how good the bruins played...that is the job of a cheerleader.
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

Did you mean that as a response to someone else?  Because you kind of said what I said

Sections
Shortcuts