What is a fair weather fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: What is a fair weather fan?

In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan?:
    [QUOTE]An aspiring meteorologist who likes overcast days.
    Posted by tonglo[/QUOTE]

A spinning turbine driven by solar power?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really like all of this judging of fans either, and really, there is no answer -- but you know it when you see it. I think the most conspicuous trait of the fair-weather fan is the desire to get out in front of the possible collapse or failure, so you can feel better about yourself and say "told ya so" to everyone else.  It is a defense mechanism, a reaction to insecurity, and I understand it.  But it is very annoying when this team shows some flaws or doubts, and people are falling all over themselves to jump off the ship and run to the safety of saying "I knew they would fail".  Some fans here actually start to drift so far as to root against the team, so it will fulfill their doomsday predictions and they can seem smarter here.  But they'd still be at the parade going crazy if things turned around.  That's fair-weather. You saw a lot of that when they were down 0-2 to Montreal.  It wasn't just the frustration (that we were ALL feeling), it was the quiting on the team and giving up hope after 2 games that was so weak for any true fan.  We all get upset at the failures and yell at the team and vent or whatever.  The difference is, do you bail out early so it won't be as pianful when they lose, or do you stick around, be faithful, and thereby maximize the joy/pain of the end result. I say, go all in, and prepare for total despair or euphoria!
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

You're entire post is great, and I especially agree with the first statement.

I understand what the OP is saying, but you can't paint with a broad brush. I don't post often on the Bruins board, but no one is going to question my loyalty as a fan. I'll  put my knowlege of Bruins history (and the current team) up against anyoneon this board. My roots as a Bruins fans go back to the Bobby Orr days when I was a kid and I lived all the ups and downs. Because of the heart-breaking losses to the Canadiens and Flyers in the 1970s, I probably hate those two teams more than I hate the Yankees.

But I don't have time to post equally on all four boards (Sox, B's, Pats, C's). I'm equally die-hard on all four teams, maybe the Sox and Bruins a split hair more than Pats and C's but you're really splitting hairs. When it comes to posting, however, I enjoy the Sox board more because I love stats. Too often, posters will write things that they can't prove. In baseball, it's easier to refute the stupid posts because of all the stats involved in the game. Just because a player doesn't have goals or assists, for example, it doesn't mean he was playing bad, and plus-minus doesn't tell a complete story. 

Still, when I get the chance I'll look at the other boards and post if something -- like this thread -- catches my eye. But to anyone who judges my loyalty as a fan simply by how often or when I post on this board, well they can go to ....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : great post fletch. all the things i was trying to say in my post but u put it better. the part about how fans can drift so far that they start rooting against the bruins. i feel that way too, i think deep down all the fair-weather fans are just jaded from something that has happened in the past with this team. part of me cant blame them especially if your in my age bracket. im 35 and can u honestly think of a generation of bruins fans that has been kicked in the sack more? i started to become i real fan of the team around 86-87. at the start it was awesome and the bruins were close but everything after about 92 has been an all out nightmare. sticking by them has been as tough as it gets as a sports fan but now it is when all of it pays off.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

I'm 35 as well -- seen lots of crushing defeats and a never a championship for this team.  No regrets though, as I have always enjoyed Bruins hockey.  No way I am getting off the bandwagon either.  After the '95-'05 period Chiarelli has been a giant breath of freah air around here. 

It's just nice to see some long beards in Bruins jerseys...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

To me a fairweather fan is a fan who only pays attention watching, or typing, or only cares when the team wins or things are going well. The only bad thing about the bruins winning the cup would be all the stupid "pink head" type fans who would start going to games and acting like they liked this team for years before they won it. The garden is the last place for bruins games were IMO most fans are real and hard core fans. I guess winning changes the fans at games that being said I would love to see the bruins win the cup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : I'm here win or lose as well.   I just take the losses real hard.......I'm not proud of it.   If they win the cup, I'll be the happiest SOB in New England
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

Sums me up as well man

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : I'm 35 as well -- seen lots of crushing defeats and a never a championship for this team.  No regrets though, as I have always enjoyed Bruins hockey.  No way I am getting off the bandwagon either.  After the '95-'05 period Chiarelli has been a giant breath of freah air around here.  It's just nice to see some long beards in Bruins jerseys...

im not getting off either! i also agree chiarelli but want to julian and tim thomas to that list of breathe of fresh air people around here. your 35 too fletch that's funny cause i want to say i saw u write u were from the same home town as me too one time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : im not getting off either! i also agree chiarelli but want to julian and tim thomas to that list of breathe of fresh air people around here. your 35 too fletch that's funny cause i want to say i saw u write u were from the same home town as me too one time.

That is funny, I don't recall the thread.  Grew up in western Mass.  Small town of Lenox.  Then lived in Somerville for some years, but been out in Denver for 8 years now.  Any of that sound familiar?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : That is funny, I don't recall the thread.  Grew up in western Mass.  Small town of Lenox.  Then lived in Somerville for some years, but been out in Denver for 8 years now.  Any of that sound familiar?

my bad then fletch. i thought i remember a post or a thread were someone had asked were shawn bates had ended up or if he was still playing. i thought u had said u grew in same town. u never said medford but i thought u implied that. m mistake fletch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is a fair weather fan? : my bad then fletch. i thought i remember a post or a thread were someone had asked were shawn bates had ended up or if he was still playing. i thought u had said u grew in same town. u never said medford but i thought u implied that. m mistake fletch.

I did live in Medford for a year, right off Boston Ave. by Tufts (Quincy Ave.).  Perhaps that's what I mentioned.  Used to play a little hockey in that Somerville rink nearby (can't recall the name).  Actually saw Shawn Bates there once at a drop in and played with him, so I may have mentioned that too.

Cheers.  Go B's!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Every single Patriots fan?

Geez, for the attitude they cast, you would think they actually watched football before 1992.  For the record, I hate the Pats.  Everyone of my Patriot fan friends ALL had a different favorite team in 1995.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

How about fair weather sports writers? You know the sort who only just started taking an interest in hockey in the last few months. The sort who have no points of reference other than football (2001 Pats), baseball (2004 Red Sox), basketball (er, dunno but probably Larry Bird)...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

[QUOTE]You want to rip them to pieces when things aren't going well?  Feel free. You want raise them to the highest rafters when things are rosy? Feel free.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

That's normal fan behaviour. You suffer through the tough times and saviour the good times (normally all during the same game with this team!).

'Fair weather' fandom is not really caring for most of the year and jumping on the bandwagon at the first hint of success.

As an aside, a really good book about sports fanaticism is 'Fever Pitch' by Nick Hornby. It's about 'soccer' (yah boo hiss!) and was made into a lame baseball movie with Drew Barrymore. It's worth a read though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Someone concerned about what type of fan they are....
    Posted by jeg4[/QUOTE]

that's the first thing that I thought when I read the first post.  What a waste of a thread....lol. Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to What is a fair weather fan?:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me, a lot of you think it's people who wear their emotions on your sleave and complain when things are going bad.  People who dare to react negatively to negative things and positively to positive things.  People who post here during a game, pointing out whats going wrong and YES, many times letting their emotions get the better of them and overreacting. But to me, this a fair weather fan.... The person who doesn't post anything until the game is over and most importantly, ONLY if the Bruins win.  If Boston lost that game, a lot of you would not have signed in here and said anything.  But since they did, you're so quick to jump in and quote every negative post made and insult the person who made it.  What do you think, we're upset they won?  What are kidding me.  We obviously care a whole bunch about this team, otherwise we wouldn't react so emotionally What's a fair weather fan?  The kind you only see when the weather is fair
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

An electrically driven device you put in your window when the weather is nice?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

ipot...really? i feel for you and any other person who've had a adult tell them "you'll never amount to anything". that's a put down, which is HORRIBLE parenting. i'm in the corner of the "unconditional love" angle, accentuate the positives, and ALWAYS be supportive. my real question is... why do people get so worked up, over a game played by grown men, that has NOTHING to do with their life. if the play of complete strangers affects someone's life so adversly, maybe they need to take a step back and re-evaluate their priorities in life. i've played sports my entire life, and am a fan of 3 sports teams that have never won in my lifetime. if anyone should be bitter, it's me. instead i realize IT"S ONLY ENTERTAINMENT, and enjoy it for what it is, millionaires playing a game. period