What is the hold up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

What is the hold up?

The Boston Bruins made some small signings in the past couple days, bringing back Jordan Caron and Matt Bartkowski with one-year contracts. Both have shown flashes of potential, and will likely get the chance to prove whether or not they’re worth further consideration this year.
    While that’s all well and great, the team still needs to address two restricted free agents who both individually contributed more than Caron and Bartkowski combined: Reilly Smith and Torey Krug. Both players need to be resigned, but the process of doing so is further complicated by the sliver of cap space Boston has remaining. Right now, the Bruins have a measly $390K left to spend.
    With this in mind, it leaves you to wonder just when, and how Boston plans on bringing Smith and Krug back into the fold.
    Coming into the offseason, it appeared a trade or two would free up the necessary space needed to retain the aforementioned youngsters. Now, with the signings of Bartkowski and Caron, there might need to be additional moves made. It all depends on just how much the Bruins want to spend on Krug and Smith.
    Each player is coming off cap hits of about $900K, yet both definitely outperformed their respective salaries. Smith, initially seen as an also-ran in the famous Tyler Seguin trade, immediately gelled with line-mates Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand, tallying 51 points in his first full NHL season. Meanwhile, Krug appeared to fulfill the Bruins’ seemingly lifelong search for an offensive defenseman, scoring 14 goals and 40 points, while also injecting life into the team’s power play.
    If Boston wanted, they could easily let both go. Of course, that’s neither a wise move nor a likely one. Even if they did, there’d still be the small chunk of change that is their remaining cap money. The Bruins need to keep both players, and as a result, others need to be moved.
    Defenseman Johnny Boychuk continues to see his name pop up on the trade rumor mill. Boston also has a handful of players on the final year of their respective contracts, such as Adam McQuaid, Gregory Campbell, and Carl Soderberg, though the latter is likely a key player for the team moving forward.
    The thing to note, though, is any trade Boston makes will be done with the intention of clearing cap space, with returns of prospects or picks at best. Any move the team was planning on making to improve their chances of competing for a Stanley Cup now has to be put on the backburner so they can free up enough space to resign Krug and Smith.
    It’s all fluid at this point, but with the signings of Caron and Bartkowski, the Bruins have officially commenced their offseason. With important players still waiting for new deals, though, things are about to get interesting for Boston.

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: What is the hold up?

Both team and players want to get as much bang for their buck that they can here.  These talks are much tougher than the "I'll take whatever you'll give me" stance of Bartowski and Caron.  I imagine these deals will take a little while as one side hopes the other will blink a little.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

There's also the remote possibility Chiarelli will let one (or both) hold out until part-way through the season, giving him extra time to work out how to assemble a cap-compliant team.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Going by what I read, I would have to assume a trade is n the works and nothing can be done on the Smith-Krug situation until that is resolved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No offense, Mac, but:

1. When taking content from somewhere else, could you please credit (if that's the right word) the source?  When I'm ripping the author of this tripe a new one, I'd like to know if I'm ripping into Macfact or Casey Drottar of RantSports.com.
    2. This thing is ridiculous.  I mean, just on this board, in the 500 open threads on this subject, we know that:  PC's roster doesn't have to be cap compliant until opening night, meaning that he can sign Krug and Smith or do whatever he wants with about $7M of flexibility; Krug and Smith are EL free agents, meaning that they don't have enough experience to be eligible for offer sheets from other clubs - no leverage = do what they can to keep them happy, but find a way to make them fit; the Bruins have just over $4M in flexibility if they put Marc Savard on LTIR, which is enough to get these two guys in; Caron is likely trade bait from ChiaPete's other comments, and Bartkowski is too considering the return of Seidenberg and McQuaid.

The "column" is a joke.  I love how Reilly Smith apparently started the season with Bergeron and Marchand - who knew?

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

DrCC - possibly, but Chiarelli is much more a players' GM than that.  It's July.  We know this: Krug and Smith will play for the Boston Bruins next year, or they won't play.  Neither guy has banked a war chest at this point in his career, so I don't see much value in holding out if I'm either guy.  Chiarelli can take his time and I wouldn't be surprised if, in much the same vein his year end meetings with Iginla and Thornton, he told the agents to be patient and their guys would get taken care of.

And they'll be patient because every day that goes by might be the day they trade Kelly and free up the space for both guys to clear $2.5M / 3 years.  Or maybe there's a blockbuster and PC moves Krejci to Florida for a shot at McDavid.  That would clear up beaucoup dinero to sign these two to longer term deals at a price they can live with.  PC will want these guys to feel part of something - pay a little more now, maybe get a hometown vibe if not much of a discount when these two older rookies race toward UFA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No offense, Mac, but:

1. When taking content from somewhere else, could you please credit (if that's the right word) the source?  When I'm ripping the author of this tripe a new one, I'd like to know if I'm ripping into Macfact or Casey Drottar of RantSports.com.
    2. This thing is ridiculous.  I mean, just on this board, in the 500 open threads on this subject, we know that:  PC's roster doesn't have to be cap compliant until opening night, meaning that he can sign Krug and Smith or do whatever he wants with about $7M of flexibility; Krug and Smith are EL free agents, meaning that they don't have enough experience to be eligible for offer sheets from other clubs - no leverage = do what they can to keep them happy, but find a way to make them fit; the Bruins have just over $4M in flexibility if they put Marc Savard on LTIR, which is enough to get these two guys in; Caron is likely trade bait from ChiaPete's other comments, and Bartkowski is too considering the return of Seidenberg and McQuaid.

The "column" is a joke.  I love how Reilly Smith apparently started the season with Bergeron and Marchand - who knew?

[/QUOTE]

He was an "also-ran" in the trade that "immediately gelled"....LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I just read the comments after Haggs' latest story and am amazed by the stupidity of some people. "John" suggests that all the Bruins need to do is simply, "unload Marchand and replace him with a guy for half the price and the same production...........".  Sure, that sounds easy. There must be lots of those guys available on the market.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

My apologies gent. Yes I find the articles and look to your expert opinions to find out if they are garbage or not. So sorry for not including the author. Book thanks for clarifying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The thing to note, though, is any trade Boston makes will be done with the intention of clearing cap space, with returns of prospects or picks at best. Any move the team was planning on making to improve their chances of competing for a Stanley Cup now has to be put on the backburner so they can free up enough space to resign Krug and Smith."

@Mac - I don't think PC has to worry as much about what he will get back for say Caron, Bartkowski, Kelly or possibly Boychuk but what he puts on the ice for the season. Chiarelli has to concern himself with a RW for Soderberg really. $4M comes off in September with Savard on the LTIR. So they is no concern with Smith or Krug.

No reason rush at all and PC has shown he can pluck a good player from a trade that most Bruins fans, at the time, have mentioned as "ho hum". PC just needs to keep fielding offers until he finds the right one.

Imagine looking at a whiteboard with a list of right-handed shots that he thinks would work with either Krejci or Soderberg. Chiarelli is in a good position to trade because of strength Boston has at Center, LW and defenseman in the system.

Poor Luke sitting out in the rain wishing he was being hugged by Princess Leia. Patience young man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's also the remote possibility Chiarelli will let one (or both) hold out until part-way through the season, giving him extra time to work out how to assemble a cap-compliant team.

[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of this happening.  I don't think a GM is going to work with a player to have him hold out while the GM irons out some cap drama.

That's just not going to happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

It may be a trend i never live down but I agree with NAS again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just read the comments after Haggs' latest story and am amazed by the stupidity of some people. "John" suggests that all the Bruins need to do is simply, "unload Marchand and replace him with a guy for half the price and the same production...........".  Sure, that sounds easy. There must be lots of those guys available on the market.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

[/QUOTE]

Also read on NAS favorite site(hockeybuzz) the idea of kane for both boychuk and marchand.  

I wish there was enough money for all these guys.  But Rask took it all.  :-). I kid.  I kid.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I think the hold up is whether or not to go one year and very cheap, or bridge at kind of cheap. They can get them on the cheap this year because they can't negotiate with other teams, but if the bruins can find the room they can probably aid their cap situation in the future by getting them to sign 3 year deals 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

[QUOTE]

No offense, Mac, but:

2. This thing is ridiculous.  I mean, just on this board, in the 500 open threads on this subject, we know that:  PC's roster doesn't have to be cap compliant until opening night, meaning that he can sign Krug and Smith or do whatever he wants with about $7M of flexibility; Krug and Smith are EL free agents, meaning that they don't have enough experience to be eligible for offer sheets from other clubs - no leverage

[/QUOTE]

– WHO CAN GET AN OFFER SHEET?
    Any Restricted Free Agent not currently signed to an SPC who has not accepted his qualifying offer, has not filed for arbitration, or has not been taken to arbitration by his Club may be signed to an offer sheet. If a player is going to arbitration, he cannot get signed to an offer sheet by another team

I have never heard about an Entry Level player not being allowed to receive an Offer sheet. Where did you read that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also read on NAS favorite site(hockeybuzz) the idea of kane for both boychuk and marchand.  

I wish there was enough money for all these guys.  But Rask took it all.  :-). I kid.  I kid.  

[/QUOTE]

That place is the worst.  People literally make stuff up and post it as "rumor".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No offense, Mac, but:

2. This thing is ridiculous.  I mean, just on this board, in the 500 open threads on this subject, we know that:  PC's roster doesn't have to be cap compliant until opening night, meaning that he can sign Krug and Smith or do whatever he wants with about $7M of flexibility; Krug and Smith are EL free agents, meaning that they don't have enough experience to be eligible for offer sheets from other clubs - no leverage

[/QUOTE]

Any Restricted Free Agent not currently signed to an SPC who has not accepted his qualifying offer, has not filed for arbitration, or has not been taken to arbitration by his Club may be signed to an offer sheet. If a player is going to arbitration, he cannot get signed to an offer sheet by another team

I have never heard about an Entry Level player not being allowed to receive an Offer sheet. Where did you read that?

[/QUOTE]

Everywhere. Neither player can sign an offer sheet. Were they drafted players that had three full years of experience (smith was drafted, but went the college route and only has two years experience) they would be eligible, but they aren't so they aren't 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

As Bs fans wrangle with the Cap issue on the maximum, let us remember the minimum Cap issue has not played out entirely until September.  Now I will give PC Kudos to remember those obligations by the takers in the NHL Cap scheme,  thus Kelly is a valuable piece given those thoughts.  So who does he package to gain draft or prospects?  Or is their a larger picture than we can not fathom on these boards.  I am inclined to understand PC is is grokking  other GMs, certainly not "Postal" Stanley (no matter what poster is smarter than another).  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've never heard of this happening.  I don't think a GM is going to work with a player to have him hold out while the GM irons out some cap drama.

That's just not going to happen.

[/QUOTE]

It would certainly qualify as 'creative' cap management.  It would also be out-right bizarre.  I doubt it comes to that, but do wonder if it has crossed Chiarelli's mind as an option.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everywhere. Neither player can sign an offer sheet. Were they drafted players that had three full years of experience (smith was drafted, but went the college route and only has two years experience) they would be eligible, but they aren't so they aren't 

[/QUOTE]

Don't know about "everywhere", but I found this...

RESTRICTED FREE AGENT GROUPS
    Because the restricted free agent (RFA) pool can get complicated, the most common RFAs in the National Hockey League consist of players who are no longer considered “entry-level,” but do not yet qualify as unrestricted free agents when their contracts expire.

Below’s table breaks down how much professional experience is needed to qualify as an RFA:

First SPC Signing Age
    Years of Professional Experience
    18-21 years old*
    3 years
    22-23 years old
    2 years
    24 years or older
    1 year
    *Please note: If the player is 18 or 19 years old “Professional Experience” is defined as playing at least 10 games in the NHL. Players older than this gain “Professional Experience” by playing 10 or more games at any professional level (i.e. NHL, AHL, ECHL, European leagues).

To me, this means that the year in the AHL counts as a year of pro experience for both Krug & Smith, which gives them 2 years of pro hockey, and makes them RFA's, and eligible to an offer sheet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

To figure out how Chiarelli will make things fit may not come till just before game 1 and then the rest after game 1. To make a decision on a move for young talent will be best served come training camp. Like Sandog said "Patience"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

For what its worth, I've also read that Smith and Krug cant be signed to offer sheets.  Not sure the exact wording that was used, but I have also read it from multiple sources.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For what its worth, I've also read that Smith and Krug cant be signed to offer sheets.  Not sure the exact wording that was used, but I have also read it from multiple sources.

[/QUOTE]

True....no need to worry about that. The only thing that can go wrong is if one of them (or both) hold out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone put an offer sheet on Smith anyway?  Who's going to take that risk for a guy who had a couple of good months playing with awesome linemates?

B's fans are a riot!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm not sure why Krug and Smith can't sign offer sheets.  They've both completed the EL deals.  It's why Krug had it worked in as part of his signing that he played a couple games for Boston in year one.  He's got 3 years in, EL is up.  Smith I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure he's a got a year in the A and 2 years in the NHL.

Sections
Shortcuts