"What is the missing element the Bruins need?" (for BsLegion)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"What is the missing element the Bruins need?" (for BsLegion)

Perception seems to be that this team "needs something" to match or surpass last year's success.  Not shared by everyone, to be sure, but apparently enough people - including Legion - that it needs a thread.  But because I hate brevity, here's the parameters that I can only pray will keep this from becoming a litany of "replace Seidenberg" and "get rid of the Turtle!" posts.

Assume they needed this something before they lost Seidenberg.

Team is 7th in goals/game (second in the East); 2nd in goals against/game (first in the East).

The Bruins have won 11 games by 3+ goals (Only STL, Chi, Ana, Pitt, and SJ have won more, and only StL has won more than two more) which means they're dominating in more than 1/3 of their wins.

They're 4th in the league in shutouts.

The D has combined for 94 total points.  Last year's team's D had 80 points in the same number of games.

Given these facts, what does the team "need" and how would addressing the need translate to wins/better chance at a Cup?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Re:

gotta replace Seidenberg.

and they need somebody to replace Seidenberg.

oh, and... they need Rask to snap out of it too, which i think he will.

but mostly they gotta replace Seidenberg.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perception seems to be that this team "needs something" to match or surpass last year's success.  Not shared by everyone, to be sure, but apparently enough people - including Legion - that it needs a thread.  But because I hate brevity, here's the parameters that I can only pray will keep this from becoming a litany of "replace Seidenberg" and "get rid of the Turtle!" posts.

Assume they needed this something before they lost Seidenberg.

Team is 7th in goals/game (second in the East); 2nd in goals against/game (first in the East).

The Bruins have won 11 games by 3+ goals (Only STL, Chi, Ana, Pitt, and SJ have won more, and only StL has won more than two more) which means they're dominating in more than 1/3 of their wins.

They're 4th in the league in shutouts.

The D has combined for 94 total points.  Last year's team's D had 80 points in the same number of games.

Given these facts, what does the team "need" and how would addressing the need translate to wins/better chance at a Cup?

[/QUOTE]

you forgot to mention that the Bruins lost 4 of their last 6 games ....

We need to replace Seid with a top NHL D ....for that we need to make a trade we need to send Shawn Thornton home and let a younger player taking NHL experience and that could help in the playoffs such as Florek or Fraser.....we need to imclude Caron in a deal he will never make the team and could get some success elsewhere .....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re:

I think one of the biggest things they can do is actually a coaching decision. When Kelly comes back he should take thornton's spot and spooner should stay put. Thornton should stay on the roster, and get put in when needed. If they did that, the bottom six would be drastically better than it was last year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re:

Put me in the camp that they don't need to do anything drastic other than adding the veteran D everyone knows is eventually coming. This team needs to get healthy...simple as that. Every single team goes through stretches in an 82-game schedule that aren't indicative of their playoff potential. So Boston has 4 wins in their last 10 (which included a murder's row of west coast games). Big deal. So does Montreal. So does Detroit and LA. Washington and Vancouver are supposed to be good and they've only won 2 in the last 10 each. Chicago only has 5 wins in 10.

It's the dog days. Boston hasn't iced anywhere near their full roster of talent with any reliability, and there's no reason to think that Lucic-Krejci-Iginla | Marchand-Bergeron-Smith | Soderberg-Spooner-Eriksson | Kelly-Paille-Campbell wouldn't cause all sorts of mismatch problems for another team in a 7-game series AND provide plenty of natural PK and PP units.

Yes, the D is young but they're doing just fine. Reasonable growing pains that will only make this team stronger long-term while they maintain a comfortable position in the standings. Add in a #3 or #4 vet on the blue line (which they will do at a time when the price is reasonable) and it'll get even better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re:

I dont think they need much, good team as they are. If I had a wish list, I'd want that guy who can snipe. Lucic, Marchand they can be too streaky sometimes. Every team wants the natural goal scorer like Stamkos, but I think the Bruins as their constructed right now, would love to see a player like Matt Moulson on this team, or a Cammaleri.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re:

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE] I dont think they need much, good team as they are. If I had a wish list, I'd want that guy who can snipe. Lucic, Marchand they can be too streaky sometimes. Every team wants the natural goal scorer like Stamkos, but I think the Bruins as their constructed right now, would love to see a player like Matt Moulson on this team, or a Cammaleri. [/QUOTE]

The uncertainty of Eriksson getting another concussion and Iginla's no show in games against potential SCF opponents or good playoff teams has me concerned. If the Bruins go into the playoffs with the personnel they have now, everyone currently on the roster, would have me question mark a deep playoff run.

Thinking that because of yesterdays game the Bruins have no worries and don't have to add anyone isn't realistic to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re:

I want to see more size & weight on the d for the play-off run. Someone who hits, blocks shots, cleans the front of the net & stabalizes the pk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

Health

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Re:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Health

[/QUOTE]

Dez - Took the words out of my mouth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re:

I don’t think BB started this thread to talk about trading this guy for that guy.  My discussion with Bookboy has nothing to do with how they’re playing the season out but more along the line if  this team is better than last years team come playoff time ?  because if they are the cup is the bag.  Right ?

How much of this teams core changed ? I don’t see a big difference . The trade with Dallas right now is a wash.  The advantage we might see is in the playoffs but that’s just speculation.  Iginla- Jagr ?

So if this team is almost the same from last season why would they have a better chance at winning the cup ?

Injuries happen to all teams in the playoffs, last year we lost Bergeron and they lost Hossa . Seidenberg was b@nged up and so was Towes.

Regular season stats can only take you so far in this discussion , they’re fine and dandy but what do they do for you in the playoffs besides give you home ice (seeding)  ?  Regular season stats vs playoffs is just like a players +/- stat . 

Conclusion BookBoy, you’re 100% confident this team (with a Seidenberg replacement) can repeat last year’s playoffs and win this time ?  Basically this is what is in discussion. I don’t have the answer as I said on the GDT if I knew I would be challenging Stanley for assist GM on the Bruins. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re:

BTW how about that Marchand !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re:

Conclusion BookBoy, you’re 100% confident this team (with a Seidenberg replacement) can repeat last year’s playoffs and win this time ?  Basically this is what is in discussion. I don’t have the answer as I said on the GDT if I knew I would be challenging Stanley for assist GM on the Bruins. 

[/QUOTE]

Health,goaltending & the "bounces", this is what any team needs, last year by the time the finals rolled around the B's were pretty ban/ged up and so were the Hawks, the goaltending was even enough, but the bounces went the Hawks way. Against the Penguins the B's got all the bounces as the Pens hit about 15 posts and none went in, its just the way it go's sometimes.I think the Bruins can get to the SCF's but alot has to go right. They have the talent and PC will make a move.Time will tell. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Health,goaltending & the "bounces", this is what any team needs, last year by the time the finals rolled around the B's were pretty ban/ged up and so were the Hawks, the goaltending was even enough, but the bounces went the Hawks way. Against the Penguins the B's got all the bounces as the Pens hit about 15 posts and none went in, its just the way it go's sometimes.I think the Bruins can get to the SCF's but alot has to go right. They have the talent and PC will make a move.Time will tell. 

[/QUOTE]

This is what BB thinks also.  Could it just be that , the bounces ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re:

Not much is the answer.  And of course health (I hate the term by the way.  Bad health is smoking and eating too many donuts.) 

I have confidence in PC, if they can add to this team at the trade deadline so much the better.

I think this is a substantially better team for the playoffs, much deeper - remember DogVan not burying that goal?  And Eriksson will show up for the games, unlike Seguin who showed up for the parties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re:

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what BB thinks also.  Could it just be that , the bounces ?

[/QUOTE]

Not just that, but it sure as heck helps. A team can't win it all hoping to get the bounces, but if it does, it'll go a long way. That and health and goaltending of course! ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re:

As is usual for the Bruins, a go to guy for scoring. 1 more goal in game 6 last year, and maybe there is a game 7, and they are Champs. We can all list the players that lacked production when necessary, so that is where I think the 'need' is. However, if LBOH continues his hot scoring, and Eric the Great shows up, I like their chances. More worried about the 3rd line than anything else. As bostonfan##### said, "put Kelly" on the 4th line. I like that. 

They just played the Defending Champs even up, and beat a VERY good LA team, with their 2nd string Goalie. Not much to not like here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re:

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As is usual for the Bruins, a go to guy for scoring. 1 more goal in game 6 last year, and maybe there is a game 7, and they are Champs. We can all list the players that lacked production when necessary, so that is where I think the 'need' is. However, if LBOH continues his hot scoring, and Eric the Great shows up, I like their chances. More worried about the 3rd line than anything else. As bostonfan##### said, "put Kelly" on the 4th line. I like that. 

They just played the Defending Champs even up, and beat a VERY good LA team, with their 2nd string Goalie. Not much to not like here. 

[/QUOTE]

a bottom six of soderberg - spooner - eriksson, paille - campbell - kelly is absurdly good. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

So if this team is almost the same from last season why would they have a better chance at winning the cup ?  

- All things being equal, I think you could play that Bruins-Hawks series 10 times and they'd split it equally.  I don't know that they need a better chance, but I would say they're not missing something to have as good a chance as anyone in the league.  And if you want them to get better, then it becomes a question of in what area and at what cost, because it's not like you can pick up Stamkos on waivers and then play with 13 forwards - changing the lineup means subtracting players and/or changing players' roles. 

There's a risk in trying to pursue "better", and that means you need to know how your improvement will affect your results.  Scoring more goals isn't going to ensure that you get timely goals.  Some players score a lot and at key moments - right now, Kane and Crosby come to mind.  But what people seem to really want is Claude Lemieux.  Todd Marchant.  The Maltby/Draper/McCarty trifecta.  Last year, Slava Voynov.  Let's remember that it wasn't Kane or Toews who tied game six or buried the dagger - it was Brian Bickell (if you blinked on Sunday, you may have missed his shifte) and Dave Bolland.  More goals does not = timely goals.  If it did, maybe Ovechkin would have a Cup appearance to go with his individual trophies.  Instead of a Stamkos or Ovechkin, the Bruins had two guys in Bergeron and Horton who have scored more game seven clinchers than anyone else, and even with Horton gone, they still have Bergeron and his running mate Marchand.

Regular season stats can only take you so far in this discussion , they’re fine and dandy but what do they do for you in the playoffs besides give you home ice (seeding)  ?  Regular season stats vs playoffs is just like a players +/- stat . 

- True, but the purpose of bringing up to current stats for the team is to measure how the Bruins are doing relative to the rest of the league.  They're right there with the big boys despite icing half of their farm team some nights.  More, though, what I was hoping people might do is tell me how they think improving some of those numbers would actually make the Bruins chances of winning a cup better.

Conclusion BookBoy, you’re 100% confident this team (with a Seidenberg replacement) can repeat last year’s playoffs and win this time ? 

- No, because, well crack is whack and we're talking about the NHL playoffs.  If they play Ottawa in the first round and Paul MacLean decides to go all Dale Hunter, it's always possible things don't go well.  Look at the Pens.  I'm guessing they were pretty confident they weren't going to get absolutely neutered by the Bruins (2 goals in 4 games isn't defeat, it's mass immasculation).  They got all the upgrade guys they wanted.  Would you have said they needed more scoring?  All I'm saying is that I don't think the Bruins need something.  They don't lack something.  They have all the ingredients, but, like every playoff year I've ever seen at any level of hockey, they need to be more than the sum of their parts to win a championship.  The team that does this best, wins.  The teams that don't can have the best parts by a country mile and still go home empty.

If they do nothing, I will watch every playoff game and believe that if they play the way they're capable of playing, they can beat any team in the NHL 4 of 7 nights.  And that's all they need.

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you forgot to mention that the Bruins lost 4 of their last 6 games ....

We need to replace Seid with a top NHL D ....for that we need to make a trade we need to send Shawn Thornton home and let a younger player taking NHL experience and that could help in the playoffs such as Florek or Fraser.....we need to imclude Caron in a deal he will never make the team and could get some success elsewhere .....

[/QUOTE]

No...no I didn't.  Because they're 2-0-0-1 in their last three for 5 of 6 points.

You haven't explained how any of this actually makes the Bruins more likely to win a Cup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

- All things being equal, I think you could play that Bruins-Hawks series 10 times and they'd split it equally.  I don't know that they need a better chance, but I would say they're not missing something to have as good a chance as anyone in the league.  And if you want them to get better, then it becomes a question of in what area and at what cost, because it's not like you can pick up Stamkos on waivers and then play with 13 forwards - changing the lineup means subtracting players and/or changing players' roles. 

There's a risk in trying to pursue "better", and that means you need to know how your improvement will affect your results.  Scoring more goals isn't going to ensure that you get timely goals.  Some players score a lot and at key moments - right now, Kane and Crosby come to mind.  But what people seem to really want is Claude Lemieux.  Todd Marchant.  The Maltby/Draper/McCarty trifecta.  Last year, Slava Voynov.  Let's remember that it wasn't Kane or Toews who tied game six or buried the dagger - it was Brian Bickell (if you blinked on Sunday, you may have missed his shifte) and Dave Bolland.  More goals does not = timely goals.  If it did, maybe Ovechkin would have a Cup appearance to go with his individual trophies.  Instead of a Stamkos or Ovechkin, the Bruins had two guys in Bergeron and Horton who have scored more game seven clinchers than anyone else, and even with Horton gone, they still have Bergeron and his running mate Marchand.

- True, but the purpose of bringing up to current stats for the team is to measure how the Bruins are doing relative to the rest of the league.  They're right there with the big boys despite icing half of their farm team some nights.  More, though, what I was hoping people might do is tell me how they think improving some of those numbers would actually make the Bruins chances of winning a cup better.

Conclusion BookBoy, you’re 100% confident this team (with a Seidenberg replacement) can repeat last year’s playoffs and win this time ? 

- No, because, well crack is whack and we're talking about the NHL playoffs.  If they play Ottawa in the first round and Paul MacLean decides to go all Dale Hunter, it's always possible things don't go well.  Look at the Pens.  I'm guessing they were pretty confident they weren't going to get absolutely neutered by the Bruins (2 goals in 4 games isn't defeat, it's mass immasculation).  They got all the upgrade guys they wanted.  Would you have said they needed more scoring?  All I'm saying is that I don't think the Bruins need something.  They don't lack something.  They have all the ingredients, but, like every playoff year I've ever seen at any level of hockey, they need to be more than the sum of their parts to win a championship.  The team that does this best, wins.  The teams that don't can have the best parts by a country mile and still go home empty.

If they do nothing, I will watch every playoff game and believe that if they play the way they're capable of playing, they can beat any team in the NHL 4 of 7 nights.  And that's all they need.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks BookBoy, listening to you is like putting a warm blanket on.   :-)

It's true, this TEAM is deep and experienced, and any "upgrades" have to fit the big picture, not out just our desire to see the B's cruise to victory every night. They really do play a complete game, and maybe the offensive scoring chances are limited, but defensive ones are down too. We often lose sight of that aspect of the Bruins. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re:

Be more than the sums of their parts.  Interesting way of putting it. Going to keep this one in mind and see if they were more than the sums of their parts but it wasn't enough in 2013.

Not sure if you saw this when we first started discussing the topic.  I found it interesting the 2 different approaches and outcomes he talked about. 

I met Doug Houda (and Ward) in Ottawa after their 1st game there and we got talking. He said the cup final against Vancouver after game 3 they knew they were going to win their remaining games at home and when game7 came along he said they just knew they would win .  Last season against Chicago they just couldn't read into each game and how the next would go. He did say game 2 , the cough up and the blown lead to him was the key to the series. It's what started the second guessing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

Better warm than wet, perry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkandGoldMatter. Show DarkandGoldMatter's posts

Re:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want to see more size & weight on the d for the play-off run. Someone who hits, blocks shots, cleans the front of the net & stabalizes the pk.

[/QUOTE]

I think Robert Bortuzzo might be available because of the Pens D becoming healthy again. He isn't a big cap hit. 1.2 over the next two seasons. I think he fits the B's game.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/pittsburgh-penguins-robert-bortuzzo-hit-toronto-maple-leafs-jerry-damigo-ruled-clean-injured/

Sections
Shortcuts