What is the value of Rask?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

What is the value of Rask?

Our little group of die hard Bruins fans have been discussing Rask's value to the team.

One one side of the discussion are the guys who think that the Bruins will need him to have a chance at the Cup again this year.  He certainly teams with Thomas to provide the best goalie crew in the league.

The other guys think that he is at his absolute highest as far as trade value.  He could possibly bring back two number ones and a very good prospect.  Or, he could bring a number one, a good, young NHL player and a couple of younger prospects.

There certainly teams out there with aspirations to win this year who NEED an improvement in goal.

Adding to the discussion is his contract running out at the end of the year. Right now he is making back up goalie money, but next year he is going to be much more expensive.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: What is the value of Rask?

If Thomas wasn't so old and if there was somebody NHL ready in the system then I'd do it.  Because of these two, and the fact the Bruins don't need to make changes, I wouldn't do it.  I agree, his trade value is at a peak right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

PC will find a way to sign him to a long term deal.  No need to move the future starter for picks, especially with no glaring holes in any of the 4 lines.

PC is laughing out loud considering his goalie situation compared to the horrible condition of most other teams.  Why help them out?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Rask is the now and future for the bruins. Timmy will easily evolve into a solid backup, retaining his skills, but, most probably, losing minute quickness in his muscular responsiveness. As noted, there is no need to trade Rask with the pipeline pretty well stocked.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

High very high but the real question, will Zito and his client Thomas take backup pay to stay with the Bruins ? How much will PC offer TT ? He isn't going to sacrifice Seguin, Lucic, Marchand or Rask for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think that Thomas would, actually. I think he's pretty loyal to the Bruins for having ever taken a chance with him when no other team would. The city loves him, he loves the city.....I think he's humble enough to know that at age 40, and with Tuukka waiting around as long as he has, he's going to take a big pay-cut. It sucks, but it's the truth, and I don't think Thomas is cocky enough to demand a trade or sign with an other team. Frankly, if he and Tuukka split time right down the middle for the rest of the season, it will make this process a lot easier. It won't make it seem as though the Bruins view either more valuable than the other, and thus would be unrealistic for either of them to expect outrageous money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Rask signing a contract in high numbers like 5.5million is not out of the question in the world of PC.  He is very valuable if one considers the next transition PC will have to make with several of the second and third line players, and that is a debate in itself.  Building from a solid team now goes from the goaltender out with Chara and possibly Doug(ie) Hamilton.  Tuuka is not something to throw away in a trade, even for Nash or Ryan.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Same thinking here as with the Kaberle trade last year.  The Boston Bruins gave up nothing and got the guy who was their top scoring defenseman in a Stanley Cup run.  Win.

Trading Tuukka Rask for prospects and picks is taking a key component of a Stanley Cup defense and adding nothing.  Adding a prospect who is probably no better than the players on the current roster also equals adding nothing.

This is how you have to think when you are taking a real run at winning it all - you're not in the business of collecting assets other than big, shiny silver cups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

actually i think bruins die hard fans answer that question with "not a snow-balls chance in he#l we trade him"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Varlamov would be a recent precedent for what a good young goalie would go for. He went for a first round pick plus a conditional second round pick. Rask could probably fetch more than that as he doesn't have Varlamov's injury history ... I would guess a lottery pick (top 5 pick) plus a second rounder (31-36th pick).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

something tells me that Tuukka's next contract won't be negotiated with the B'S....

i see him testing the free agent market and getting offered front-line dollars and probably even more than TT's earning....

the ball will then be in PC's court....  might be his biggest decision to date....

again, just my opinion....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I think you could improve your Stanley Cup odds by trading him.  To make the deal I would also need to take back a very high end young player.  Preferably I would start with a young puck moving defenseman who is not a liability in his own end.  i.e. a top two guy with potential to be a number 1.  If you could do that, I would say you would be crazy not to take a look.  I love the idea of a perfect TT to Tuukka transition but he is not by any means untouchable.  I mean would the die hards not listen if Nahville started the conversation with Weber or Suter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, I probably wouldn't listen.  And it comes down to putting all your eggs in a 37 year old basket.  Thomas goes down after the trade deadline, and this team, no matter how good they are across the board, will have to rely on a guy with four NHL games under his belt or some retread they pick up to have an experienced back-up.  No thanks.  We've been having the conversation about how the Achilles heel of this franchise has generally been goaltending over the last 40 years - trading Rask equates to not learning the lessons of the past or even the recent, highly successful past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Look at recent RFA's....they stay put, Rask will be here for a while folks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask?:
    [QUOTE]Look at recent RFA's....they stay put, Rask will be here for a while folks
    Posted by bostonfan191646[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. RFA's signing an offer sheet is rare enough. Even rarer is the team holding his rights not matching it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]something tells me that Tuukka's next contract won't be negotiated with the B'S.... i see him testing the free agent market and getting offered front-line dollars and probably even more than TT's earning.... the ball will then be in PC's court....  might be his biggest decision to date.... again, just my opinion....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

Except Rask cant test the waters. He's an RFA and any team offering the 5+ million to acquire him would also be sending 1-2 1st round draft picks to the Bruins.

While its not unlikely that he gets offer sheeted I dont see any GM willing to give up the picks and to incur the wrath of Chiarelli.

Rask says he's happy, PC says he's going to resigh, Thomas loves the kid. Rask is a succession plan already in set in motion for when Timmy retires. I cant see him getting moved unless its so some sort of mega overpayment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

just 24 and leading the league in save% & gaa, if i'm a gm needing a #1 badly i say forget the pix or the wrath of other gms and make Tuukka an offer he can't refuse and take the chance of PC matching it....  that of course after having tried to work out a deal first with the B'S....

i too want to see Tuukka taking over from TT in the future, but would prefer PC settle his status prior to July 1st....  a team might try the B'S hand since they also possess the reigning Conn Smythe winner [and hopefully will repeat the feat once more].... 

the salary Thomas Vanek collects from the Sabres today was negotiated with the Oilers a few years ago when he was a rfa....  the Sabres would've probably saved a few bucks had they signed him beforehand....

who would you rather build your team around, Tuukka or Vanek?....

just saying....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]just 24 and leading the league in save% & gaa, if i'm a gm needing a #1 badly i say forget the pix or the wrath of other gms and make Tuukka an offer he can't refuse and take the chance of PC matching it....  that of course after having tried to work out a deal first with the B'S.... i too want to see Tuukka taking over from TT in the future, but would prefer PC settle his status prior to July 1st....  a team might try the B'S hand since they also possess the reigning Conn Smythe winner [and hopefully will repeat the feat once more]....  the salary Thomas Vanek collects from the Sabres today was negotiated with the Oilers a few years ago when he was a rfa....  the Sabres would've probably saved a few bucks had they signed him beforehand.... who would you rather build your team around, Tuukka or Vanek?.... just saying....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]
    Overpaid or not, Vanek is a goal scorer. Who knows whether he would've signed without testing the waters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Whatever it takes!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : Except Rask cant test the waters. He's an RFA and any team offering the 5+ million to acquire him would also be sending 1-2 1st round draft picks to the Bruins. While its not unlikely that he gets offer sheeted I dont see any GM willing to give up the picks and to incur the wrath of Chiarelli. Rask says he's happy, PC says he's going to resigh, Thomas loves the kid. Rask is a succession plan already in set in motion for when Timmy retires. I cant see him getting moved unless its so some sort of mega overpayment.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

ILH, the compensation for signing a $5M RFA ( and up to $6.26M ) would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. That in my opinion is peanuts for a 24 year old goalie who is coming into his prime. Don't know if any GM would go this route ( signing Rask to a $6M offer sheet ) but wouldn't this put PC in a bit of a dilemma trying to manage the cap ? Rival GM's with goaltending issues might be thinking more about their own team rather then worry about the wrath of another GM.

Like jaywall suggests ' whatever it takes' to get Rask signed .

------------

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:

• $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
    • $1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
    • $1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
    • $3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
    • $4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
    • $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
    • $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I have a question for someone that knows.....How long of a contract can the B's sign Rask to, while still holding RFA rights at the end of it? 3 years? I'm uncertain as to the exact rules, so I was just curious. Something tells me that the Bruins will give him a short term deal worth pretty decent money, but need him to prove himself. That seems to be the deal with Chiarelli; he did the same thing with Marchand. He knew he was a good building piece, but he wanted to see consistency before he threw him a decent salary contract with a lot of years.
    I'm thinking Tuukka for 2 or 3 years, 4-5 mil per season will be about right. Anything over 6 mil is way too high, IMO, and if he wants more (7+)? Let him sign the offer sheet, take the picks, move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

GWDT - Rask turns 25 in March.  Rask will have UFA rights in two seasons.  So they could sign a one year deal and still have his rights at the end...but I don't think Rask's going to go for that.  Most agents in this situation start with a term that ends with the client having UFA rights as early as possible.  More money means they'll go longer or shorter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Most teams believe that a solid goalie is the starting point. IMO Rask is that peice of the puzzle, and even a $7.0 offer sheet is worth countering, as Chiarelli could pressure Savard to retire to provide enough cap space. He could then trade Timmy, unless TT takes a Bruins discount, and provide more flexibility.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : ILH, the compensation for signing a $5M RFA ( and up to $6.26M ) would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. That in my opinion is peanuts for a 24 year old goalie who is coming into his prime. Don't know if any GM would go this route ( signing Rask to a $6M offer sheet ) but wouldn't this put PC in a bit of a dilemma trying to manage the cap ? Rival GM's with goaltending issues might be thinking more about their own team rather then worry about the wrath of another GM.  Like jaywall suggests ' whatever it takes' to get Rask signed .                                                      ------------ The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows: $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation $1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick $1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick $3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick $4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Thanks for actually doin the legwork chowdah. Yeah a first second and third doesnt sound like much for a stud like tuuk. But remember we were all scared of Marchand offersheeting and it just never happened?

I dont think GM's love the idea of starting a potential offersheeting pissing match between two teams. I can see if Tuuk gets offersheeted PC turning around and offersheeting the other teams top RFA's for the next few years just to mess them up.

IDK, I got nothing to go on here except for feeling. I feel like Rask will be a B for a long time to come.

Agreed whatever it takes just wrap him up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two things about Rask and RFA:

Nobody  has been paying big bucks for FA goalies.  Nobody.  They're looking at the "Detroit model" and Chicago winning with a cheap young Niemi on one hand and teams like...well Chicago handing big bucks to FA goaltenders and then sitting on huge albatross contracts.  Who knows what Rask would look like behind Washington's blueline?  I picked Washington as an obvious example of a team that needs a saviour in nets, but realistically, who has both a legit shot if they had a goalie and the money to make an offer that's high enough to make PC pause before matching?  The Panthers maybe?  Maybe the Isles decide they're a goalie away from being a playoff team for the next decade?  I think that's about it.

Do nothing out of fear.  There are all sorts of uncertainties around the CBA, but if the cap remains basically the same for next year, the Bruins will have about $16.5M to sign Rask (5), Boychuk(2.5), Corvo (or similar - 2.5), Thornton (1), Paille (1.5), Pouliot (1.5), Campbell (1.5), Hamill (.6) and Kelly (2.5).  So a $5M
    offer to Rask would mean PC might have to let Corvo walk and see if Kampfer is ready for prime time.  That's about it.  At $6.3M, they might have to let Kelly go.  So...a bottom third forward and a bottom half D.  Would you trade either of those players straight up for Rask?  I think you'd do it in a heartbeat.  Both if necessary.  And everyone would think the other GM was an idiot for trading Rask for those two.  So...PC can and wil match on Rask because he can easily manage the fallout of anything but a Lecavalier like deal.