What Is Your Trade Verdict?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

What Is Your Trade Verdict?

If think the Bruins win this trade this coming year and next. We'll get back to at least one SCF, and maybe another Cup.

After that, we may be ripping the hair off our heads. Tyler may reach superstardom by his third year in Dallas.

Oh well, you can't have everything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: What Is Your Trade Verdict?

Think it was inevitable that Seguin was dealt.  Like Ericksson alot, but a little concerned about the rest of the haul.  If Morrow, Smith or Fraser can play and contribute in any meaningful way, think B's fans can feel good about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I haven't changed my mind about not wanting them to deal Seguin, but if they had to do it?  I think it's a smart deal.  I didn't want them to deal for another top three prospect - shupe wanted Drouin, and he'll probably be a great player, but he would also likely play 10 minutes a game next year as they teach him to play Bruins hockey.  He might have followed Seguin's path and broken out in year two...or not.  If we look at the "Trade Subban?" thread, I think a trade for a pick or even a blue chip prospect runs counter to the logic that says you have a few more years of Chara, a few more years of Seidenberg's prime, and a group of top six forwards entering what are traditionally the best years of a player's career.  Waiting even three years for a Drouin to "arrive" wouldn't have been my choice.  This deal, though, makes the Bruins better now and gives them some players who should be strong contributors down the line.  No major trophy winners, but players who will fit the Bruins mould - size, skill, "grit".

Short of dealing Seguin for a similar player - Duchene, say - you're not going to get the same long-term star potential Seguin has in return and still get a player who can help you now.  But this deal gives the Bruins solid help now - Eriksson's an upgrade on Seguin at RW on the top two lines right now.  It gives the Bruins room to sign a good FA RW or to explore a trade - maybe the long coveted Bobby Ryan deal if the Ducks want youth (ha!) or maybe Cammelieri if the Flames will take Khokhlachev and Bartkowski for him and eat some of his money?  Eriksson and Cammelieri on the top two lines is as good or better than Horton and Seguin were last year and maybe so far.  Morrow could be the Seabrook to Hamilton's Keith - the mobile, well-rounded D who can play opposite the dynamic two-way D-man on the top pairing.  Fraser, from SanDog's description, looks like the same kind of player Knight's supposed to be - heavy, hard-charging, physical guy who will score goals because he's got some finish and he gets to the right places on the ice.  Smith...Well, who knows.

It won't bother me in the least if Seguin wins an Art Ross in Dallas at some point.  It will bother me if they meet the Bruins in the playoffs and he wins the Conn Smythe.  But in the end - I don't like seeing him go, but this probably does make the Bruins better for the next few years.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There's hockey to play.  They sent the boozehound partyboy away and got a serious business talent in return...who carries a lower salary.  They also jettisoned the bad Peverley deal and got some prospects in return.

Super win for Chiarelli.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Put me in the "wait until FA hits" camp on this one. We have no idea what the big picture is yet, and it'll become clear when we see what PC does with the added cap he just picked up.

And to keep things in perspective: Stars GM named Seguin and Peverly his #1 and #2 centermen for this coming season during an interview yesterday. Ouch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

And to keep things in perspective: Stars GM named Seguin and Peverly his #1 and #2 centermen for this coming season during an interview yesterday. Ouch.

Good take asmaha.  That's the other "verdict" for me.  Maybe trying to convert centers to wingers isn't always a great approach.  Seguin & Peverley were both C/RW and were traded for three wingers and a d-man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Good take asmaha.  That's the other "verdict" for me.  Maybe trying to convert centers to wingers isn't always a great approach.  Seguin & Peverley were both C/RW and were traded for three wingers and a d-man.

Crowls, outside of injuries to the regulars there was slim chance both were going to be centers with the Bruins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I've never been to Dallas. Anyone know the nightlife scene out there? Hope it fits Sequin's taste.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You may be right, Crowls, but also remember that Kessel was a center when he arrived.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" It gives the Bruins room to sign a good FA RW or to explore a trade - maybe the long coveted Bobby Ryan deal if the Ducks want youth (ha!) or maybe Cammelieri if the Flames will take Khokhlachev and Bartkowski for him and eat some of his money?  Eriksson and Cammelieri on the top two lines is as good or better than Horton and Seguin were last year and maybe so far."

This is the essence of the trade, it gave Chiarelli room to breath and maneuver. If Chiarelli doesn't make a big spalsh today or over the weekend then he has until October to make a trade. Cammalleri and Ryan are intriguing now plus there is cap room to explore it.

Jury is out on the propects but I feel great about Fraser becuase i've seen allot of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You may be right, Crowls, but also remember that Kessel was a center when he arrived.

Believe Kessel played wing on the U18 & U20 teams and think he was pretty much being projected as a wing at draft time. 

Kessel was a winger that had played some center, Seguin is a center that was asked to play wing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to rickrand3's comment:

I've never been to Dallas. Anyone know the nightlife scene out there? Hope it fits Sequin's taste.

Judging by the inuendo floating out there it seems any place short of Petticoat Junction fits his taste, rick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Crowls, outside of injuries to the regulars there was slim chance both were going to be centers with the Bruins.

I agree RHO, no issue with how they were used.  My point was more about sometimes you are better off with guys that play wing and are comfortable/excel there as compared to leverage the versatility of a center.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Bad bad trade

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

chiarelli has made another solid move for the Bruins. Erickson [sp.] is solid and the cap space does give Chiarelli another good move. Morrow was a no 1 pick and adds to Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowski futures/now. Sandog likes Fraser's potential for 3rd/4th lines. Maybe Thornton will be retired. Spooner, Koko, Caron in the mix as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

There's hockey to play.  They sent the boozehound partyboy away and got a serious business talent in return...who carries a lower salary.  They also jettisoned the bad Peverley deal and got some prospects in return. I definitley would not call this a super win for Chia.

Super win for Chiarelli.

You are acting like Eriksson is going to save the franchise or something. Let's not forget the "boozehound" and the "bad Peverly" were a big part of the cup winning team just 2 years ago. Like you didn't enjoy going out for a few beers when you were 21.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

hope for Seguin's sake he stays away from any of the Dallas Cowboys or his career is over

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Bruins got the better of this deal for the next 2 years, Dallas doesnt have the supporting cast to help Seguin grow as a player, Eriksson is better than Seguin is now, 3 years from now might be a different story, nobody knows

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Lots of strip clubs in "Big D". He should feel right at home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Honest opinion: we lose the trade in the first year, and never look back. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

You are acting like Eriksson is going to save the franchise or something. Let's not forget the "boozehound" and the "bad Peverly" were a big part of the cup winning team just 2 years ago. Like you didn't enjoy going out for a few beers when you were 21.

When I was 21, I was in college.  I drank a lot on many Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays.  The rest of the time I spent low key.  I never drank so much I missed class.

I never drank during the time leading up to mid-terms or finals. 

I also wasn't paid millions of dollars by the university to be awesome.

Sections
Shortcuts