What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxfan5990. Show bosoxfan5990's posts

What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get?

Do you agree with this writer? 2 years $2.5 million per? More? Less?

http://www.bostonsportsplus.com/2011/08/where-is-brad-marchand.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get?

"Marchand was buckets of fun, but lets not forget that he has only performed at a top-six forward level for roughly 60 games. That is not a significant enough sample size to warrant a 500% pay raise.

Furthermore, if you take a look at players similar to Marchand in terms of production, you'll find most of them are signing in the $2.3MM-$2.6MM range. Expect Marchand to get that much."

And then he compared him to Teddy Purcell.  Didn't someone else here say the same thing?

Yes, I agree with the writer 100%

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bringing up Purcell again will have all of the Marchand lovers banging their keyboards, shouting, "NAS!  Purcell didn't have nearly as many hits last season!"  Big deal.  No NHL team pays an extra million for good checking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Based on production to date, I can't see him getting more than that, but he has shown potential for asignificant production increase over time. So a two-year length makes sense, as it gives him an opportunity to earn a significant raise in two years.

so yeah, I agree with NAS and the writer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get?:
    [QUOTE]Bringing up Purcell again will have all of the Marchand lovers banging their keyboards, shouting, "NAS!  Purcell didn't have nearly as many hits last season!"  Big deal.  No NHL team pays an extra million for good checking.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Isn't that exactly what Boston did when they gave Lucic an extension at 4m per season after he started his career with 34 goals and 89 points in his first 199 games played? His huge raise couldn't have been just because he's also a pugilist. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get? : Isn't that exactly what Boston did when they gave Lucic an extension at 4m per season after he started his career with 34 goals and 89 points in his first 199 games played? His huge raise couldn't have been just because he's also a pugilist. 
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yep. I didn't much like the Lucic deal and, if the Bruins give Marchand more than 2.5M/per, I won't like that deal either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get? : Isn't that exactly what Boston did when they gave Lucic an extension at 4m per season after he started his career with 34 goals and 89 points in his first 199 games played? His huge raise couldn't have been just because he's also a pugilist. 
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think they saw something in him and they wanted to give him the pay for what they thought he'd become.  And then they did.  And then he scored 30 goals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get? : I think they saw something in him and they wanted to give him the pay for what they thought he'd become.  And then they did.  And then he scored 30 goals.

I want to see Lucic work on his defensive game a bit.  Turnovers in the defensive and neutral zones last year resulted in too many goals and good scoring chances for the opposition.  Maybe he was hurt and that contributed to the problem, but I expect him to be better in this area this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get? : I want to see Lucic work on his defensive game a bit.  Turnovers in the defensive and neutral zones last year resulted in too many goals and good scoring chances for the opposition.  Maybe he was hurt and that contributed to the problem, but I expect him to be better in this area this year.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

He was hurt in the playoffs and had a few gaffs.  I don't recall him having shoddy play during the regular season.  He had an incredible year!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The odd thing is that there was no news of Lucic being hurt during the playoffs.  Yet he was clearly sub-par.  His timing was way off-- missed passes, sluggish skating, turnovers, shots either off-net or right into the goalie's mid.  Even his hallmark checking was off,   He seemed really lost out there.  Many posters in these forums assumed that he was injured.  But no, no news of that after the playoffs.  

Could it be that Lucic is showing his true talent, which isn't so much?  Could it be that he's way overpaid at $4M?  

As for Marchand, he is a rising star.  He and Bergeron really won that game seven.   Give him whatever it takes to get him signed.  

Surely owner Jacobs will weigh in on this one, since Marchand is a big fan draw, for attendance and paraphernalia sales

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The writer didn't give any source for his info that Marchand is asking 3 yrs @ $4M.  Does anyone know more about this?  Rumor?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The odd thing is that there was no news of Lucic being hurt during the playoffs.  Yet he was clearly sub-par.  His timing was way off-- missed passes, sluggish skating, turnovers, shots either off-net or right into the goalie's mid.  Even his hallmark checking was off,   He seemed really lost out there.  Many posters in these forums assumed that he was injured.  But no, no news of that after the playoffs.   Could it be that Lucic is showing his true talent, which isn't so much?  Could it be that he's way overpaid at $4M?   As for Marchand, he is a rising star.  He and Bergeron really won that game seven.   Give him whatever it takes to get him signed.   Surely owner Jacobs will weigh in on this one, since Marchand is a big fan draw, for attendance and paraphernalia sales
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

There was plenty of news on it.  Seguin broke his toe with a shot in practice.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/06/milan-lucics-broken-toe-just-one-of-many-injuries-bruins-battled-through-on-way-to-cup.html

30 goals getting $4M isn't overpaid in today's NHL.

Marchand is a big fan draw for attendance?  The guy played four months on the second line and then in the playoffs.  What are you talking about?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Marchand has become a top-6 forward on this team.  He wants to be paid like one.  I think a reasonable compromise is $2.75M per. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm of the opinion that Arnott started at $4 mil, and they are now working out around $3 mill for 3 years. There has been so much talk about Thornton's impact due to enthusiasm only, but here's a talent that skates, scores, handles the puck and deserves his place with Bergeron as he continues to irritate the opponents in every game, causing many mistakes on their part. He's had great tutelage from both Recchi and Bergie, and is a solid core player on this team

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Kind of Deal Do You Think Marchand Will Get? : There was plenty of news on it.  Seguin broke his toe with a shot in practice. http://www.nesn.com/2011/06/milan-lucics-broken-toe-just-one-of-many-injuries-bruins-battled-through-on-way-to-cup.html 30 goals getting $4M isn't overpaid in today's NHL. Marchand is a big fan draw for attendance?  The guy played four months on the second line and then in the playoffs.  What are you talking about?

You are right NAS, I forgot about the broken toe.  Guess that would inhibit skating for sure.   

As for Marchand's fan base, there have been some articles about clothing sales noting that his sweater is the biggest seller.  Also that he is hugely popular with fans in general.  

A "rising star" would be one that rose up to the second line and PK, getting increased ice time, and then became a major player in the playoffs.  One that seems to spark the team and one who connects especially with its best forward, a guy named Bergeron.  Four goals from these two forwards won the big game seven.  

With ample cap space, $4M is not too much.  Even though $3M might be more appropriate.  Just don't lose him.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Without Marchand the Bruins would'nt have won the Cup ....4 years ..$14MM

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I think they will pay him $3 million a year. 2.75 at the lowest and 3.25 highest. Contract will be for 3 years. The B's dont seem to sign players for 2 years, but correct me if Im wrong. I just dont recall many 2 year contracts with the B's. Id be happy with him making 3 mill a year. I know it may be higher than warranted, but then again all contracts are. I think they pay players the little bit extra, just because they want the player, not because they think he deserves that much. Just dont want to lose them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

PC is a genius....how many people laughed when he tied up Lucic and Krejci while not resigning Kessell??  Even this yr when he resigned Bergy and Chara??  Oh the naysayers as these were the same guys who lost to Philly last yr?  Did we really want Lucic to sign with MTL???  Without Marchand we don't win the cup....$3m a yr is a joke with a young stud with this talent...get it done...and how many laughed when PC gave Timmy the good longterm contract???  The man is a genius...he will get it done....the cup awaits us this year again.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lucic also has surgery to deal with a sinus issue.  That may be way more significant than the toe.  Bad sinus infection would affect his conditioning, his focus, his peripheral vision, his energy level, and his recovery.

I'm sticking with the Wheeler level.  I see no reason other than afterglow to go higher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennyBizz. Show KennyBizz's posts

3 years, 10.6 -11.2 range will get it done.  He's worth it too.   Say what you want, 60 games, minimal games as a top 6 forward.  He brings the passion and fans like myself love it.  He was an absolute pain to deal with in the playoffs.  He's going to have a huge following next year.  Reward him for his efforts.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]3 years, 10.6 -11.2 range will get it done.  He's worth it too.   Say what you want, 60 games, minimal games as a top 6 forward.  He brings the passion and fans like myself love it.  He was an absolute pain to deal with in the playoffs.  He's going to have a huge following next year.  Reward him for his efforts.   
    Posted by KennyBizz[/QUOTE]

Contracts aren't rewards for things accomplished in the past.  They are payment for current production.

Sections
Shortcuts