What NOW?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

What NOW?

Is any of this reality?

Now that the first 24 hours of NHL free agency have come and gone, the Bruins will look into some of the bargain options out there to either A) come up with a potential replacement on the right side for Iginla on the top line or B) sign a worthy third line candidate that could bump Loui Eriksson up to the right wing spot on the No. 1 line for the Black and Gold.

Radim Vrbata has been mentioned as a possibility, and has averaged 22 goals per season over the last five years while never being afraid to shoot the puck. Peter Mueller could be an intriguing name as a 26-year-old, former 20-goal scorer that spent last season in Switzerland, and appears to be over the concussion problems that nearly derailed his career in Colorado.

Lee Stempniak is another intriguing second-tier wing option that's been a consistent double-digit goal scorer in the NHL, wouldn't cost much and could be the kind of third line, right-shot option that would also push Eriksson up to the top line.

What for real can be done? Without moving anyone can they really bring on another body or we just looking at them working with what they have?

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Re: What NOW?

I do have hard time blaming Chiarelli for this. He went for it this year, the team didn't deliver, and now there are cap consequences to pay. Dougie Hamilton (restricted free agent after this season) and David Krejci (unrestriced) will need to be paid. Torey Krug needs to be signed, as does Reilly Smith.

There are things I wish he'd do to clear some space. The Bruins' value Chris Kelly's leadership, but he was injured and ineffective this year, and with Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron in the room, secondary leadership probably isn't that important. Johnny Boychuk is a fine defenseman, but his salary may soon exceed his contributions.

Seems there is a lot of prudence to dumping Chris Kelly? Your thoughts?

Is it imaginable that if Erickson goes to number one line, we sign a third line guy, that we can just use Providence talent to fill in all the rest of the gaps and be okay for the season? Barring Caron who is out will they be able to groom young guys on offense like we did on defense this year and prove another positive result? I still see we have problem on defense as Bartowski needs to go bye bye and do we need a defenseman to fill his slot or all we good with what we have? I realize with Seidenberg back Bart would sit anyway but that leaves no room for injury back ups. Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Krug, Miller and Hamilton...you still have Mcquaid. Does he go or stay?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

if Mueller is over his concussion issues, he could be a low cost solution....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

I don't blame PC for this either, but to say he "went for it this year" is kind of a stretch...everyone on the planet knew they needed help on D and, well, you know how that turned out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They could try to pick up a bargain player who is looking to revive his career, much like Mason Raymond in Toronto last year.  It should be a right-shot for the sake of versatility.  I'm sure there are plenty of players who would embrace a chance to play on the Bruins for a year.

I would love if they could move Kelly, but unfortunately they can't because he's injured.  So for now I'd say the best option is to stay the course.  Play the best players among Fraser, Koko, Spooner, etc and see how they do.  The team is still very strong with two exceptional top lines and very good players in Soderberg, Kelly, Paille and Campbell to round out the bottom 6 with some rookies.  Save assets and make a deadline deal for a top-6 type player as was done in '12.  That team actually did much better in the playoffs than last year, when they had a full deep team from the get-go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to btrentor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't blame PC for this either, but to say he "went for it this year" is kind of a stretch...everyone on the planet knew they needed help on D and, well, you know how that turned out.

[/QUOTE]

With a healthy Seidenberg that would have been different.  You can't blame PC for not getting someone at the trade deadline because it's a crap shoot, there is no certainty about getting the players you want/need.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The guy they got at the trade deadline Mezaros is now in Buffalo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Macfact's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do have hard time blaming Chiarelli for this. He went for it this year, the team didn't deliver, and now there are cap consequences to pay. Dougie Hamilton (restricted free agent after this season) and David Krejci (unrestriced) will need to be paid. Torey Krug needs to be signed, as does Reilly Smith.

There are things I wish he'd do to clear some space. The Bruins' value Chris Kelly's leadership, but he was injured and ineffective this year, and with Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron in the room, secondary leadership probably isn't that important. Johnny Boychuk is a fine defenseman, but his salary may soon exceed his contributions.

Seems there is a lot of prudence to dumping Chris Kelly? Your thoughts?

Is it imaginable that if Erickson goes to number one line, we sign a third line guy, that we can just use Providence talent to fill in all the rest of the gaps and be okay for the season? Barring Caron who is out will they be able to groom young guys on offense like we did on defense this year and prove another positive result? I still see we have problem on defense as Bartowski needs to go bye bye and do we need a defenseman to fill his slot or all we good with what we have? I realize with Seidenberg back Bart would sit anyway but that leaves no room for injury back ups. Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Krug, Miller and Hamilton...you still have Mcquaid. Does he go or stay?

[/QUOTE]

He cheaped out on all potential trade possibilities except a guy who was good enough to wear a nice suit from the press box more often than not.