What Quiet Room?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What Quiet Room?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/02/spector_nhl_concussions_the_quiet_room_myth/

Some folks are wondering what ever happenned to the quiet room. It certainly seems like lots of players are returning to games, only to miss time later on with concussion-like symptoms. Who's to blame on this one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: What Quiet Room?

Did any team ever follow the protocol?  I was under the impression it had to be followed if the player took a blow to the head or appeared woozy.  Sure, guys that blatantly need to be taken out of a game are getting out, but the whole idea of the protocol was to protect the guys where it is more difficult to determine if there is a problem by forcing them out of action for 15 minutes.  I know there were incidents in the playoffs last year where that already wasn't happening.

As far as I can tell, the protocol has no bite.  Until a team gets punished for fudging an examination, things will not change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Interesting topic, I doubt you will see the quiet room being implimented during the playoffs either given the magnitude of the games. Who knows, maybe the trainers are being told to overlook certain things until after the game. Also, a lot of the times it could be the player that shakes the trainer off & insists he is ok to continue playing. The guy brought up a good point about potential lawsuits being handed out for team's mis-diagnosing concussions if the player develops long term problems because of it. Like he said, the NFL is currently going through that process with former players.  What a mess that would be for the NHL if it came to that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if a player has possibly been concussed, on the ice it's the trainers responsibility to check him out further in the "quiet room". asking an athlete in the heat of battle after being knocked on the head(from the bench), "how ya doing?", is hardly scientifically reliable. what i don't get is the why wouldn't you take FIFTEEN MINUTES to make sure the guy is ok? if he's fine after that examination, he's back skating, maybe missing 5 or 6 shifts. if he's not, you're saving him from possibly worsening his condition and costing the team more lost games due to his injury. it's apalling that the outcome of a single hockey game is more important than a players health and safety. the real question is whether the trainers are being influenced by the coach/gm to overlook this protocol. if this is the case, the nhl will have some lawsuits in the near future. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

quick thought, i'm guessing the trainers are not doctors. trainers can be influenced, doctors are held to a higher standard. the hippocratic oath would assure that each player would be treated without outside influence..."first do no harm". solution... team doctor on every bench. would it change anything? could they be influenced?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Saw that article yesterday too Dez. I agree with what the "quiet room" philosophy is about and really do think it should somehow be mandated. It is in everyone's long term best interests; the player, management, the team, and the fans. I hope the league get's its act together soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I remember Grabovski of the Leafs gettine walloped by Big Z last year. Grabovski could barely stand after the hit, yet he stayed in the game and scored the game-winner a few minutes later. He shouldn't have been allowed to continue. And after he scored that goal, I was sure wishing he'd gone to the quiet room. Bas.tard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: What Quiet Room?:
    quick thought, i'm guessing the trainers are not doctors. trainers can be influenced, doctors are held to a higher standard. the hippocratic oath would assure that each player would be treated without outside influence..."first do no harm". solution... team doctor on every bench. would it change anything? could they be influenced?  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Doctors aren't perfect, and they can be influenced, but in their case there are serious repercussions from the AMA and CMA if they are found to shirking their duties. Major ramifications. So a team Doc would maybe be a good idea - a doctor's going to understand, and take more seriously, the non-performance of their job to the highest possible standard. Problem would be in games where Canadian teams play in the States and vice versa. They likely wouldn't have medical licenses in both countries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: What Quiet Room? : Doctors aren't perfect, and they can be influenced, but in their case there are serious repercussions from the AMA and CMA if they are found to shirking their duties. Major ramifications. So a team Doc would maybe be a good idea - a doctor's going to understand, and take more seriously, the non-performance of their job to the highest possible standard. Problem would be in games where Canadian teams play in the States and vice versa. They likely wouldn't have medical licenses in both countries.
    Posted by red75

how about an on-site doctor provided by the nhl. they stay put, the teams travel? they are considered NHL doctors, instead of individual team doctors. if they(the nhl) say they want to take this seriously, then take this seriously.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: What Quiet Room? : how about an on-site doctor provided by the nhl. they stay put, the teams travel? they are considered NHL doctors, instead of individual team doctors. if they(the nhl) say they want to take this seriously, then take this seriously.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

good idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: What Quiet Room? : good idea.
    Posted by red75

1 out of 2650 - better than nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

hey dez, is that janney in your avatar? looks like him(#23), if so, how long have i been oblivious to this? you seem to be changing it quite frequently.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

hey dez, is that janney in your avatar? looks like him(#23), if so, how long have i been oblivious to this? you seem to be changing it quite frequently.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

It's new today. I did it for you (and in honor of Krug).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The problem is, that head injuries are not a 'black & white' situation.  As we all know, there is a scale that runs from "out cold" to "no symptoms right now".  And given the desire by hockey players to want to stay in the game, if they're on the 'low symptoms' side of the scale, they're likely to respond "Yep, I'm good to go" when the trainer/doctor comes over and asks how they are after a hit.  I think that's why so many concussions are diagnosed after the fact, because the symptoms are not apparent when they immediately return to the bench.

I support the 'quiet room' protocol, though I do worry about one thing.  If a team was particularly underhanded, might they target a star player with an elbow to the head, knowing that the protocol would require him to remain in a quiet room for 15 minutes of observation before being cleared to return to the game?  A tie game, heading into OT might be the perfect time to inflict such a hit?  Even if the guy's not seriously injured, simply the head-targeted incident might force the star player off the ice at a critical point in the game.  Could it happen?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It could happen ... but then you'd hope there would be serious suspension-type consequences, even if there is no injury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The quiet room was implemented after the Grabovski incident. I have seen the Bruins follow the procedure at least twice this year when players returned to the game, and probably others when they left and did not return. And the league guidelines say it is the team Dr who checks out the player, not the trainer.

Sections
Shortcuts