What Should The Players Have Done To Change Their Fates?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: What Should The Players Have Done To Change Their Fates?

per the first article on this thread:

The leagues position for the last several years is kind of vintage John Ferguson.  The PA should have known that and acted accordingly.

Saying they were fine with things may have been a bit naive.  Either before the leagues first proposal, or immediately thereafter, the PA should have insisted on "more", then let the games begin.  The league came at them with a chainsaw, and they should have reacted with tommy guns.  The uninformed keep talking about how much the league has moved from it's original position.  Had the PA played the same game, they wouldn't have been swimming upstream all the time, and I don't believe we would be one bit further behind where we're at now.

Virtually all "pro-player" opinions agreed something like a 50-50 split is ok.  Right from the get go that's been the case.  The other side sticks their head in the sand and says 'it's their business, the teams should be able to do whatever they want", blindly throwing their support to anything imaginable.

The league has their 50-50.  They've given dick.  The players have done their share.  The league is really getting to the power egosphere at this stage.  the PA needs to do a better job of pointing that out. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You've been pretty critical of others who've stated they really miss the NHL product....condiscendingly stating it hasn't bothered you cuz you've found better things to do with your time.

Now...when convenient, you say get all dramatic and say this thing has "affected" your life?

Do you have even a sliver of self awareness?

[/QUOTE]

I don't sit around, moping and crying that the NHL isn't in ful swing, but it has affected my life.  Some here act as if the NHL is important to survival.  That's pathetic.  I'm surviving just fine, thank you, but that doesn't mean my life isn't affected.

Do you have a sliver of comprehension?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

stevegm, I read your long post about chainsaws and tommy guns.  Then I read it again.

It doesn't really make any sense.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

They should have not fired Paul Kelly. Once they hired Donald Fehr, and I've said it in past threads, I knew the season was in jeopardy. That is not a knock on Donald Fehr, he's brilliant at what he does, if I ever commited a crime, I'd want him representing me, but he has no connection to the game of hockey like Paul Kelly does. Now, would Paul Kelly being involved in the game of hockey prevented a lockout? I have no idea, but from what I understand he does care about the game.

You said it though, Fehr reprsents his clients well and if I hire him I would care if he didn't care about my profession. If the NHLPA takes a vote to excpet the owners latest proposal then there is nothing Fehr can do.

Interesting though Kelv what Ference might say about that 57% HRR now as he is fighting to keep it high and will miss it badly. Kelly, fired by Ference and the NHLPA, got that sweet pot of cash for the players in the first place.

Ironic

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would just assume that NHL owner's are greedy.  They are businessmen trying to maximize profit for their assumed risk.  Just not a big surprise there.

That said, I thought hockey players were different than the athletes in different sports (NBA, MLB, NFL).  I thought they were living out boyhood dreams and getting paid well beyond anyone's imagination for playing a kid's sport, and appreciative for the opportunity.  I have been proven wrong.  The NHL players have been every bit the "divas" from the other sports; see comments from the likes of Ian White, Kris Versteeg and Dave Bolland. 

Now Troy Brouwer questions his teammate’s commitment because they disagree with his position?  How embarrassing and frankly disgraceful. 

"For me, I think those guys selling us out, being selfish like that and making those comments..." Brouwer continued. "Me being on their team, how am I going to trust them as a teammate from now on? Because you know they're not going to support players in the big scheme of things when you go and you play on the team with them; it's going to be tough to want to back those guys from now on."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410109

The NHLPA is no different than any other sport's union.  Doing all it can to squeeze out every last dollar for the cause. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would just assume that NHL owner's are greedy.  They are businessmen trying to maximize profit for their assumed risk.  Just not a big surprise there.

That said, I thought hockey players were different than the athletes in different sports (NBA, MLB, NFL).  I thought they were living out boyhood dreams and getting paid well beyond anyone's imagination for playing a kid's sport, and appreciative for the opportunity.  I have been proven wrong.  The NHL players have been every bit the "divas" from the other sports; see comments from the likes of Ian White, Kris Versteeg and Dave Bolland. 

Now Troy Brouwer questions his teammate’s commitment because they disagree with his position?  How embarrassing and frankly disgraceful. 

"For me, I think those guys selling us out, being selfish like that and making those comments..." Brouwer continued. "Me being on their team, how am I going to trust them as a teammate from now on? Because you know they're not going to support players in the big scheme of things when you go and you play on the team with them; it's going to be tough to want to back those guys from now on."

The NHLPA is no different than any other sport's union.  Doing all it can to squeeze out every last dollar for the cause. 

[/QUOTE]

Sure Crowls, don't bother including what Brouwer said just seconds before the quote you've provided. Nowhere in the article does Brouwer take exception with them having a different opinion than his own. His issue is their lack of involvement in the process. If those players have an issue with the way the union is being run shouldn't they at least mention it to the union before crying about it to the media?

"Those are two guys that have never been on a conference call, never been to a meeting, never paid attention," Brouwer told The Post. "People are going to have their own opinions but when you're fighting for something with 700 other guys, all you're doing is just making it harder to make a deal and making it harder to accomplish the things we're fighting for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure Crowls, don't bother including what Brouwer said just seconds before the quote you've provided. Nowhere in the article does Brouwer take exception with them having a different opinion than his own. His issue is their lack of involvement in the process. If those players have an issue with the way the union is being run shouldn't they at least mention it to the union before crying about it to the media?

"Those are two guys that have never been on a conference call, never been to a meeting, never paid attention," Brouwer told The Post. "People are going to have their own opinions but when you're fighting for something with 700 other guys, all you're doing is just making it harder to make a deal and making it harder to accomplish the things we're fighting for.

[/QUOTE]

I stipulate the lack of envolvement quote that you provided was included in the article, but the how does that square with the "how am I going to trust them as teammates" comments?  Cause and effect?  Way too far for my liking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I stipulate the lack of envolvement quote that you provided was included in the article, but the how does that square with the "how am I going to trust them as teammates" comments?  Cause and effect?  Way too far for my liking.

[/QUOTE]

I believe his point was that if they can't be trusted as union brothers then they likely can't be trusted as teammates either. What has Neuvirth done so far to show what type of teammate he is? I think Hamrlik is the first teammate he hasn't talked trash about yet.

"One player that learned of those drawbacks was Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth, who was spending his summer in his native Czech Republic and gave the Czech website iSport.CZ some of his time.

When the interview was translated into English there were some interesting and eye-opening quotes attributed to the 24-year-old netminder. (h/t to RussianMachineNeverBreaks.com for translation)

He (Braden Holtby) sure is a great goalie. But I can’t compare him to Voky or Varlamov, that’s what I meant. In comparison to those two, he played nothing in the NHL and that’s why I take him as the weakest of them three. I’m definitely not saying that he is bad, not at all. I actually like the way he plays. But he is the worst of them three, that’s all.

He (Alex Ovechkin) isn’t what he used to be, that’s for sure. And if a team like ours wants to have a chance at the Stanley Cup, we need Ovi to be the best. We all expect that from him; he has to be the real leader. But it’s hard you know, he achieved everything as a player. He was on the absolute top, and then one can only fall down. I just hope that Ovi will stop falling and instead stops and maybe tries to get back on top.

At first glance these are the type of comments that can ruin a season before it even starts, and possibly paint the player that made them as a bad teammate at best.

At worst these type of comments end up causing irreparable damage and result in someone getting shipped off to another club, because let’s face it, who’s going to go out of their way to support someone who doesn’t exactly seem to have your back.

Neuvirth is now back in the States, and if one is to listen to him something was definitely lost in the initial translation of his words.

Not having skills in a foreign language, I have to imagine that translating someone’s words into English has to be a tricky proposition. For someone to nail things 100 percent has to be almost a total impossibility, so I have to give anyone even attempting such an arduous task credit for their effort.

With that being said, one has to wonder if Neuvirth is using the â€ÂÂœlost in translation” excuse as a convenient way to avoid any potential issues."

Either way, Brouwer has a right to his opinion just like those guys do. I'm not sure why his opinion should be labeled as "frankly disgraceful", especially considering you've provided nothing to support your assertion that it's just "because they disagree with his position". Do you personally think it's fine that they speak out to the media without bothering to first voice concern at a meeting? Secondly, did you have any suggestions as to what the players could've done differently or was this just a thread hijack?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe his point was that if they can't be trusted as union brothers then they likely can't be trusted as teammates either. What has Neuvirth done so far to show what type of teammate he is? I think Hamrlik is the first teammate he hasn't talked trash about yet.

"One player that learned of those drawbacks was Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth, who was spending his summer in his native Czech Republic and gave the Czech website iSport.CZ some of his time.

When the interview was translated into English there were some interesting and eye-opening quotes attributed to the 24-year-old netminder. (h/t to RussianMachineNeverBreaks.com for translation)

He (Braden Holtby) sure is a great goalie. But I can’t compare him to Voky or Varlamov, that’s what I meant. In comparison to those two, he played nothing in the NHL and that’s why I take him as the weakest of them three. I’m definitely not saying that he is bad, not at all. I actually like the way he plays. But he is the worst of them three, that’s all.

He (Alex Ovechkin) isn’t what he used to be, that’s for sure. And if a team like ours wants to have a chance at the Stanley Cup, we need Ovi to be the best. We all expect that from him; he has to be the real leader. But it’s hard you know, he achieved everything as a player. He was on the absolute top, and then one can only fall down. I just hope that Ovi will stop falling and instead stops and maybe tries to get back on top.

At first glance these are the type of comments that can ruin a season before it even starts, and possibly paint the player that made them as a bad teammate at best.

At worst these type of comments end up causing irreparable damage and result in someone getting shipped off to another club, because let’s face it, who’s going to go out of their way to support someone who doesn’t exactly seem to have your back.

Neuvirth is now back in the States, and if one is to listen to him something was definitely lost in the initial translation of his words.

Not having skills in a foreign language, I have to imagine that translating someone’s words into English has to be a tricky proposition. For someone to nail things 100 percent has to be almost a total impossibility, so I have to give anyone even attempting such an arduous task credit for their effort.

With that being said, one has to wonder if Neuvirth is using the â€ÂÂœlost in translation” excuse as a convenient way to avoid any potential issues."

Either way, Brouwer has a right to his opinion just like those guys do. I'm not sure why his opinion should be labeled as "frankly disgraceful", especially considering you've provided nothing to support your assertion that it's just "because they disagree with his position". Do you personally think it's fine that they speak out to the media without bothering to first voice concern at a meeting? Secondly, did you have any suggestions as to what the players could've done differently or was this just a thread hijack?

[/QUOTE]

Disgraceful for putting union ahead of team and teammates simply because they have a different opinion.  Pretty simple concept when you take off your blinders.  When you dine at the Teamsters Steakhouse, it is easy to understand why Hamrlik and Neuvirth are the enemy. 

Both guys are easy to criticize for who they are as players.  Still, their point of view should still be respected as part of the union, no?  Nearly $13.5M committed to Brouwer over the next 4 years, for a guy with a career high of 22 goals and 40 points.  Yes, he should be the voice of reason, don't you agree?

Azz Clowns leading even bigger azz clowns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disgraceful for putting union ahead of team and teammates simply because they have a different opinion.  Pretty simple concept when you take off your blinders.  When you dine at the Teamsters Steakhouse, it is easy to understand why Hamrlik and Neuvirth are the enemy. 

Both guys are easy to criticize for who they are as players.  Still, their point of view should still be respected as part of the union, no?  Nearly $13.5M committed to Brouwer over the next 4 years, for a guy with a career high of 22 goals and 40 points.  Yes, he should be the voice of reason, don't you agree?

Azz Clowns leading even bigger azz clowns.

[/QUOTE]

So does that mean you're for or against them speaking out to the media before speaking to their brethren? Speaking of blinders, that's what Brouwer actually said he took issue with, regardless of the lengths your going to in your attempt to make it seem as simple as a difference of opinion. What's throwing you off? Is it the part of the quote where Brouwer says,"people are going to have their own opinions............."? I also didn't realize anyone was making Brouwer out to be "the voice of reason" but I do know he and Chimera are the team's union reps. As a matter of fact, he's in that position because the Caps players voted him in. For that reason, it makes perfect sense that he'd address union issues affecting Caps players. It's probably also the reason he's miffed Hamrlik didn't speak to him before yapping to the media. Oh well, it must be "blinders" keeping me from seeing the real issue........or maybe it's because I'm basing my opinion on things that were actually said rather than trying to read between the lines.

Here's an article which includes even more quotes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2012/11/23/troy-brouwer-frustrated-by-comments-from-roman-hamrlik-and-michal-neuvirth/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, Dez.  You really have become incapable of having a civil conversation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You've been pretty critical of others who've stated they really miss the NHL product....condiscendingly stating it hasn't bothered you cuz you've found better things to do with your time.

Now...when convenient, you say get all dramatic and say this thing has "affected" your life?

Do you have even a sliver of self awareness?

[/QUOTE]

I don't sit around, moping and crying that the NHL isn't in ful swing, but it has affected my life.  Some here act as if the NHL is important to survival.  That's pathetic.  I'm surviving just fine, thank you, but that doesn't mean my life isn't affected.

Do you have a sliver of comprehension?

[/QUOTE]

c'mon, admit it, you miss hockey as much as the rest of us....

i don't know how i'm going to make it without another season of hockey....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, Dez.  You really have become incapable of having a civil conversation.

[/QUOTE]

Why, was it me making things up and getting mad when called out for it? What in my last post do you take issue with? It must be something obvious for your crying to start spilling out for Crowls too. How about you guys quit worrying about telling others how to think unless your finally willing to address direct questions to support your garbage. You should use the time spent in support of Crowls to research what issues the union has so you won't be faced with writing posts about Fehr and the secrets he's keeping. The irony of you crying about anyone else's behaviour is delightful actually. Keep it up. At least this way you're entertaining someone. It's like you toss a coin before you write each post to help you decide whether to cry or complain. This latest post managed to come off as both so bravo. BTW, will my posts seem more civilized if I use use juvenile terms like "azz clowns" to make my points? I look forward to hearing exactly what was so un"civil" about my last post. I won't hold my breath though because one thing you and Crowls share is the ability to pretend you don't see/understand clear questions that you're unable to answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

[QUOTE]

per the first article on this thread:

The leagues position for the last several years is kind of vintage John Ferguson.  The PA should have known that and acted accordingly.

Saying they were fine with things may have been a bit naive.  Either before the leagues first proposal, or immediately thereafter, the PA should have insisted on "more", then let the games begin.  The league came at them with a chainsaw, and they should have reacted with tommy guns.  The uninformed keep talking about how much the league has moved from it's original position.  Had the PA played the same game, they wouldn't have been swimming upstream all the time, and I don't believe we would be one bit further behind where we're at now.

Virtually all "pro-player" opinions agreed something like a 50-50 split is ok.  Right from the get go that's been the case.  The other side sticks their head in the sand and says 'it's their business, the teams should be able to do whatever they want", blindly throwing their support to anything imaginable.

The league has their 50-50.  They've given dick.  The players have done their share.  The league is really getting to the power egosphere at this stage.  the PA needs to do a better job of pointing that out. 

[/QUOTE]

+1 totally agree

Players should countered the original offer by the owners with their own ridiculous offer . You know asked for a 7% raise in revenue sharing ,longer contracts, etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

A tidbit from the last lockout.

In an interview yesterday with George Parros there was mention of 240 players never made their way back to the NHL after the last lockout. Normally that number is 100 due to retirements and players not being re-signed.

These players were lower echelon players.  Their fates were decided once the season was scrapped. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In an interview yesterday with George Parros there was mention of 240 players never made their way back to the NHL after the last lockout. Normally that number is 100 due to retirements and players not being re-signed.

These players were lower echelon players.  Their fates were decided once the season was scrapped. 

[/QUOTE]

Mentioned these unfortunate ramifications on another thread.  That is absolutely disheartening.  As per usual, the rich do the dancing, while the poor pay the band.  Been that way forever.

In this case though, is it fair to place that blame on either side?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"The rich do the dancing"?

Lots of rich people in play on this one ...I'd say Fehr is one. Doesn't the NHLPA have any responsibility to the ones suffering "unfortunate ramifications" ? Are the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the world dancing at the expense of the Campbells and Carons?

The players could have done nothing to change their fate. It's a totally meaningless question now, that has nothing to do with securing their future. They need to lose the battle so they can win the war, and continue becoming millionaires. The owners are at fault... now what? The best way to get the owners is to get as much of their money as possible - that means get a calculator, and do what it says to. This is so stupid it's sad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mentioned these unfortunate ramifications on another thread.  That is absolutely disheartening.  As per usual, the rich do the dancing, while the poor pay the band.  Been that way forever.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the players who know they're on their last legs have their own opinions who they blame whether it be the NHL or the NHLPA. 

For them to be reminded that it's "been that way forever" isn't going to cut it when they're out of a job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the players who know they're on their last legs have their own opinions who they blame whether it be the NHL or the NHLPA. 

For them to be reminded that it's "been that way forever" isn't going to cut it when they're out of a job.

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't meant to "cut it"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The rich do the dancing"?

Lots of rich people in play on this one ...I'd say Fehr is one. Doesn't the NHLPA have any responsibility to the ones suffering "unfortunate ramifications" ? Are the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the world dancing at the expense of the Campbells and Carons?

The players could have done nothing to change their fate. It's a totally meaningless question now, that has nothing to do with securing their future. They need to lose the battle so they can win the war, and continue becoming millionaires. The owners are at fault... now what? The best way to get the owners is to get as much of their money as possible - that means get a calculator, and do what it says to. This is so stupid it's sad.

[/QUOTE]

That's the point jwensink.  The Crosbys and Fehrs, and Bettmans...most of the owners have little on the line.  The Campbells and Carons have a ton.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't meant to "cut it"

[/QUOTE]

Try explaining it that way to a player losing their job forever.

As a worker that lost his job twice, I'm thinking these players will have enough blame to go around for both sides that did the negotiating.  It happened in both of my experiences.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I think the players are being courageous.

It's time to stand up in this country . We've take the greedy rich man's crap for too long.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dez, interesting post under the THN used by yourself in this thread.  Essentially it outlines the reasons why the NHLPA is using the current tactic.  Yes, the marginal players are being unduly harmed in these negotiations, but the long run of the revenue sharing argument boils down to  how 6 teams are receiving most of the revenue sharing monies from the other teams in the league.   So when I speak of how the Bettman expansion of the NHL in the 90s was a money grab by the owners, and how the that expansion is now costing the players, I unwittingly am agreeing that the NHLPA current negotitions tactic is greater than career losses by those "marginal" players.  Certainly that goes against my stance on defending Recchi in his comment of the CBA negotitions.  

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/how-much-revenue-sharing-should-the-nhl-have/article5103058/ 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dez, interesting post under the THN used by yourself in this thread.  Essentially it outlines the reasons why the NHLPA is using the current tactic.  Yes, the marginal players are being unduly harmed in these negotiations, but the long run of the revenue sharing argument boils down to  how 6 teams are receiving most of the revenue sharing monies from the other teams in the league.   So when I speak of how the Bettman expansion of the NHL in the 90s was a money grab by the owners, and how the that expansion is now costing the players, I unwittingly am agreeing that the NHLPA current negotitions tactic is greater than career losses by those "marginal" players.  Certainly that goes against my stance on defending Recchi in his comment of the CBA negotitions.  

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/how-much-revenue-sharing-should-the-nhl-have/article5103058/ 

[/QUOTE]

I admire anyone whose opinions and thoughts are based on information.  Especially if that person is secure enough to modify their stance based on more information. 

Sections
Shortcuts