What the NHL should--and shouldn't--learn from the Olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

What the NHL should--and shouldn't--learn from the Olympics

Intersting article from the Atlantic Monthly, of all places.  The take was a postive on IIHL shoot out rules, a IIHL negative on nets being disloged, negative on IIHL Olympic size rinks, shockingly negative on IIHL fighting rules and last goalies handling the puck as a postive for the IIHL.  I would agree on all except shootouts.  I also don't like the blue painted crease rules of the IIHL.  It would be interesting to hear from others.  

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/what-the-nhl-should-and-shouldnt-learn-from-the-olympics/283925/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: What the NHL should--and shouldn't--learn from the Olympics

The shootout is terrible.  The rest is all negotiable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

.....................international hockey with the big ice surface sucks because of increased perimeter play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks for the opinions, basically the common compliant with the NHL hockey is the violent aspect of the game.  Most of the remarks by the author, Simpson,  in the article were in support of the NHL style and standard.  Simpson simply put says the NHL style with smaller rinks, new hybrid icing, and yes fighting make the NHL game more interesting.  A by product is more scoring.  His remarks on the shootout imo were not in respect to the team game.  Although he saw no reason why a player could not be used over and over in a shootout.  Cheers.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

On the shootout, I once played a HS tournament game at the old Boston Arena that went 4 OTs. I think we were the late game that evening and after 3 OTs they had us come back the next day to settle it. Because of TV commitments you almost have to have a shootout system. In addition to that we were totally exhausted and could hardly skate anymore. I like the system where they use all different players to take the shots even in the extra rounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

RE:  Playoffs

I'm all for 4-on-4 for a 20 min. overtime with the one condition that refs don't try to "even it up" after a legit penalty. The irony of that situation is that they probably wanted the teams to settle the score with even numbers on the ice only to be forced to call a legit penalty once it got to 3-on-3...the advantage was completely reversed from what it originally should have been.  Like this post...a total nightmare situation.   

I do love 4-on-4 however and rather see  the up and down action to settle the game THAN 5-on-5 "Let's not make a mistake" OT that goes into the wee hours of the morning.  5-on-5 is still very exciting, but I think 4-on-4 to settle the issue is the best way to go.   For regular season, I'd like 4-on-4 for 10 minutes.   In both cases, no shootouts---exciting but too gimicky. 

I also like the Olympic point system that awards a regulation win with 3 points. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

RE:  Playoffs

I'm all for 4-on-4 for a 20 min. overtime with the one condition that refs don't try to "even it up" after a legit penalty. The irony of that situation is that they probably wanted the teams to settle the score with even numbers on the ice only to be forced to call a legit penalty once it got to 3-on-3...the advantage was completely reversed from what it originally should have been.  Like this post...a total nightmare situation.   

I do love 4-on-4 however and rather see  the up and down action to settle the game THAN 5-on-5 "Let's not make a mistake" OT that goes into the wee hours of the morning.  5-on-5 is still very exciting, but I think 4-on-4 to settle the issue is the best way to go.   For regular season, I'd like 4-on-4 for 10 minutes.   In both cases, no shootouts---exciting but too gimicky. 

I also like the Olympic point system that awards a regulation win with 3 points

That's because you live in the real world, where it makes sense that the same total of points would be available in every game within a league.

Bettman is no idiot. He figured out a long time ago, that the way to keep the loser teams in the playoff race longer, was to award a loser point.

It artificially creates a more balanced league. It is a joke that a team could finish with a .500 record with 82 points, without ever winning a game.

As far as 4 on 4 in playoff ot, I would have no problem with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

.....................international hockey with the big ice surface sucks because of increased perimeter play.

I was thinking it was the bluelines being 6 feet closer to the net, that was the real problem. There was just no room, even on the powerplay

Sections
Shortcuts