What they can and cannot do.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What they can and cannot do.

Lots of threads in the last day or two with lots of posts containing the phrase: "they cannot win...playing like this, giving up this many shots, scoring this many goals, with CJ as coach, with Pandolfo/Caron/Peverley/Thornton/Campbell on the secondline, with Jagr anywhere but with Krejci, with Chara aging, with Rask as the #1/unless Rask stands on his head."

This team is the king of winning ugly.  They're winning, so they can win, even if you think it's ugly.  What we're talking about is probability.  They're less likely to win with Campbell on the second line than Bergeron.  They're less likely to win if they keep giving up 40+shots.  They're less likely to win if they only score 2 goals a game.  Yet they still keep winning within those parameters, so it's not true that they can't win.

4-1 in their last 5.  2-5 in their previous 7, which is the stretch that has henny penny worried.  Prior to that, they had another 5-1 stretch where the only blemish was the third period breakdown vs. the Penguins.  Their longest losing streak all year is two games.  Other than that 2-5 stretch, there is no 7 game stretch in this season where the Bruins have lost more than 3 games.  Playoffs are measured in 7 game sets.  You only have to win 4 of 7.

Let's call it what it is: it galls people that they have lost to the Pens and Scabs this year.  Scabs took the season series in large part because the Bruins choked a third period away and lost in a shootout.  Pens also took the first game by coming back in the third, and the Bruins haven't beat them all year.  Put another way, the thinking seems to be that the Bruins haven't beaten the Scabs and Pens, so they can't beat the Scabs and Pens.  And that's just not true.

They need to get their game together.  They need to get Peverley and Kelly untracked and get Jagr in the right role.  They need Seguin scoring and using his speed.  They need Lucic and Horton to dominate physically.  They need Rask to continue to play like a top tier goalie.  They need all of this to happen in the same games.  If they get none of it, they will likely lose in the first round.  If they get all of it, I like the odds for duck boats.  But other than the duck boats, how is this different from any other team among the contenders?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: What they can and cannot do.

Book,  if i remember correctly the bruins run to the cup wasnt picture perfect either.  It was the worlds largest roller coaster that year.  I love a great 60 minute effort but when you grab 2pts it really doesnt matter.  They will watch video of last nights errors.  Carolina has nothing to play for and are well coached.  But a 6-2 win is exactly what they needed.  They have been in a scoring funk and they opened it up.  There are highs and lows throughout a season.  If we had a losing record id be concerned.  I do wish the effort from gm to gm would be better in terms of physical play.  I think staying healthy until playoffs is key.  

Very good post.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

They need to get their game together.  They need to get Peverley and Kelly untracked and get Jagr in the right role.  They need Seguin scoring and using his speed.  They need Lucic and Horton to dominate physically.  They need Rask to continue to play like a top tier goalie.  They need all of this to happen in the same games.  If they get none of it, they will likely lose in the first round.  If they get all of it, I like the odds for duck boats.  But other than the duck boats, how is this different from any other team among the contenders?

This paragraph is dead on....

The one thing that has been bugging me a lot this year is that, unlike the previous few seasons, they have no trouble beating (as Jack would call it) the "inferior teams" but are struggling against the top ones.

Yes, they are winning and their record looks nice but, let's be honest, they will not be playing any Carolina's in the playoffs.

That said, it was very nice to see the team finally dominate on the scoreboard for the first time this season. Perhaps this is the beginning of a run on par with the 2011 Nov-Dec one and we will all forget the alleged issues this team has been displaying so far this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is off topic, but I've always preferred manual ignore to clicking the button.  But null is so much more boring and repetitive than the usual trolls like Luanne that I saw no reason not to click the button. And let me tell you, the best part of clicking that button?  The little note that says he's posted something that I've chosen to ignore.  It's like I have him gagged in the trunk of my car, and you can sort of hear some plaintive moaning as he tries to get someone's attention, but then I just turn up the music a bit and all is right with the world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Good post book and shupe your right about there run to the stanly cup, i think we all forget that year we what was then is almost identical to now, they did step up that year with great goaltending, heart stopping over times and 7 game series win but i think that we as outsiders see a different view of the game, always bash players and the way play laxy daisy sometimes and never give credit to the team that comes out and has a set mind that, they also need to find a way to beat a team so good, such as the recent problems with there own end. there getting forchecked like never before and they havent adjusted well to it *YET*

Our expectations are high for this team as it should be, and after last nights game seeing a line do some damage offensivley that i never imagines, my positive thinking is back now and will try use that to focus on the end results, meaning they have it to go deep into the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

This is off topic, but I've always preferred manual ignore to clicking the button.  But null is so much more boring and repetitive than the usual trolls like Luanne that I saw no reason not to click the button. And let me tell you, the best part of clicking that button?  The little note that says he's posted something that I've chosen to ignore.  It's like I have him gagged in the trunk of my car, and you can sort of hear some plaintive moaning as he tries to get someone's attention, but then I just turn up the music a bit and all is right with the world.

An even better post. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Good post book and shupe your right about there run to the stanly cup, i think we all forget that year we what was then is almost identical to now, they did step up that year with great goaltending, heart stopping over times and 7 game series win but i think that we as outsiders see a different view of the game, always bash players and the way play laxy daisy sometimes and never give credit to the team that comes out and has a set mind that, they also need to find a way to beat a team so good, such as the recent problems with there own end. there getting forchecked like never before and they havent adjusted well to it *YET*

Our expectations are high for this team as it should be, and after last nights game seeing a line do some damage offensivley that i never imagines, my positive thinking is back now and will try use that to focus on the end results, meaning they have it to go deep into the playoffs.

Wally,

i can b itch and moan with the best of them.  They are winning games.  Period.  Once the playoffs come its a different animal.  This team knows how to win.  I want a healthy squad heading into the playoffs.  Once we figure where we likely end up being 2 or 4th we can start resting guys more.  Let a redden or bart kill some penalties instead of Z and seidz.  

I think the east is ripe for the picking and i think there is enough in the gruins room to get another cup.  The big positive outta a game like that is how awesome rask was.  I personally dont see that as a negative.  We have a goalie who can steal a game.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Given the shortened season, with it's crazy schedule, I think the Bruins have fared pretty well to this point. Can they be better, absolutely, and I expect them to get into the next gear when the playoffs start.

Bruins have a key ingredient, as they did in 2011; goaltending. That was the key to a cup in 2011 in my opinion, along with Mr. Clutch game 7 O/T man, Horton. I see it being no different in 2013 and the difference between an early exit or a deep run to the Cup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Anything's possible.  I saw "Bobrovsky" and "Vezina" in the same sentence yesterday on nhl.com.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

hang- Bobrovsky has been great for Columbus lately, if they make a playoff appearance he will have been a big reason why.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good qualification Book. It's a pleasure to read good information rather than the babbling that has filled these boards with rubbish. This team has the capabilities when they commit. Obviously Bergeron's loss is a tough blow to overcome, and, per today's comments, the Doctor's seem positive to a return. Campbell is doing a credible job with Jagr and Marchand because he has been doing the same inside Claude's plan for a number of years while covering up the lack of a solid right wing. The Peverly line with Seguin and Paille is also providing quality shifts based on their speed and positioning that is familiar, rather than Seggy trying on a center slot when he is not ready. Remember all those who desired that Kreji be traded because Seggy could slip right into the center position. Think again, and Claude should be applauded for moving quickly while still not sure how best to play Jagr. Hopefully Campbell and Marchand continue to play their game which complements Jagr'd roaming the ice. The real problem is defense. I like Bartkowski's speed, but he still has so much to learn in Claude's defensive structure. Ference and Seidenberg need all their experience to counter the speed and size, that permeates other teams' forwards. Boychuck brain dubs have always been there and are still there at times, along with his quick release and size benefit. Chara, in all his capability, is also experiencing the aging process as his passes and coverage go astray from time to time. Still, he is Solid quality, just older and slower. Hamilton has all the potential, but is still learning in every game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

hang- Bobrovsky has been great for Columbus lately, if they make a playoff appearance he will have been a big reason why.

Oh no doubt lambda..my analogy is that if "Bobrovsky" and "Vezina" belong in the same sentence, then so too can the "Boston Bruins" and "2013 Stanley Cup Champions", even though we find great faults in their play when they put up regular season wins

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Over all I do agree with this. As JM alluded to, they are beating the teams they should, but loosing to the other top teams. And it isn't just that they are loosing, but that there doesn't appear to be the fight in them that we have grown accustom to seeing. 

Maybe this team knows what to do when the time comes, and can ramp it up, but stomping on  the teams that they will have to get past to make it to the Finals makes us all feel so much better. 

I really believe that in 2 years Hamilton will be ready to take over the #1 D position, but isn't ready. I think Chara isn't as good as he was. This is my worry more than anything, because they aren't scoring enough goals to make up for the aging D. I'd love to see Dougie make that huge jump this post-season. 

Other than that, all is good. Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Terrific. Of course, while he's dying a slow death in the trunk perhaps we can go to the Pesci household and have some meatballs. Doesn't matter what time either. Tommy's mom will come downstairs and cook for us cause she is so glad to see him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Terrific. Of course, while he's dying a slow death in the trunk perhaps we can go to the Pesci household and have some meatballs. Doesn't matter what time either. Tommy's mom will come downstairs and cook for us cause she is so glad to see him.

So awesome to hear that muffled voice and feint thumps.

Having him banned is no fun, much better that the death throes go on and on and on and on.

Right on cue he's going to start a million threads like he did before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

They need to move the puck out of their end.

They need to fore check and cycle in the opostions end

They need to play with a lot more intensitiy.

They need to find their way.

The tools are all there. The goalies are good. Very good. Good enough to win the Cup.

The rest is up to CJ and his staff to get this team firing on all 8 cylinders by the time the playoffs start.

CJ can mix what ever lines up he wants. He's the coach. I don't really care. He can start Kudobin or Rask. I don't care.

What I care is that, what ever CJ does, he and this club wins. And if not. Then make some changes.

I'm glad the playoffs are still a few weeks away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"it galls people that they have lost to the Pens and Scabs this year.  Scabs took the season series in large part because the Bruins choked a third period away and lost in a shootout.  Pens also took the first game by coming back in the third, and the Bruins haven't beat them all year.  Put another way, the thinking seems to be that the Bruins haven't beaten the Scabs and Pens, so they can't beat the Scabs and Pens.  And that's just not true."

You've once again mixed up or are assumed criticizing with having concern again...again. The 4-1 in the last five ugly wins will not cut it against teams that will pounce on the Bruins sudden inability to get the puck out of their own and not having anyone on the bottom six forwards who can take a great feed from Jagr or Peverley then do someting with it, like the inept attempts by Colon's favorite son last Saturday.

Toronto, Pittsburgh, Montreal and now Washington will not allow Boston to plug there way through a 7 game series with muckin, shuckin n grinden. Also Julien's crucial mistakes in who he has with whom in line combos along with who he has on the ice in the last minutes of a game reared it's ugly head again in Le Shabville. Claude reverted back to his 2009 playoff mistakes when he got taken to school by Maurice.

This will, of course, be all for not if Bergeron can't return. Signs are there and if you don't see them you are in denial son!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Correct! The 2010-11 was exasperating enough so I questioned CJ, the system, even some of the players.  The problem now is the Bs won that year.  So many think that Stanley Cup season was spotless whereas in reality the yo yo phenomena in play did not give real promise for a Cup as they were beaten badly by poor teams.  CJ now is reasserting himself as a coach.  Seguin has not been demoted, CJ is attempting to create balance with ten games to go.  Bergeron's concussion has caused a sense of urgency with the playoffs around the corner.  I would venture a guess if this was the normal length season, CJ would just be pleased to pick up points at the 38 game schedule mark.  The caveat, will the Bs revert to the Washington series in last year's playoffs.  I am inclined to say a flat out NO!

Thanks Book once again.  Shupe, untie Nel from the tracks.   

In response to shuperman's comment:

Book,  if i remember correctly the bruins run to the cup wasnt picture perfect either.  It was the worlds largest roller coaster that year.  I love a great 60 minute effort but when you grab 2pts it really doesnt matter.  They will watch video of last nights errors.  Carolina has nothing to play for and are well coached.  But a 6-2 win is exactly what they needed.  They have been in a scoring funk and they opened it up.  There are highs and lows throughout a season.  If we had a losing record id be concerned.  I do wish the effort from gm to gm would be better in terms of physical play.  I think staying healthy until playoffs is key.  

Very good post.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

"gagged in the trunk of your car"...I love it....too bad there isnt a trunk monkey laying a beating on him inside said trunk as well!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I respect the commentary as I have thought the same, but in reality Sandog the playoffs are a whole different type of game.  Offense does not always win in a series.  I would tend to agree on the grind and systematic game was the key to the Stanley Cup victory, yet this team has far more offense than that team.  The defense is now older, albeit without a mature PMD.  

Montreal won the last two games with the Bs with hard work, 4 of the last 5 goals scored by the Canadien were odd deflections.  Luck as Derek Sanderson use to say is a result of hard work.  As for Pittsburgh, take out Crosby and Neal with concussions as the Bs do with Bergeron, I think the Pens are beatable.  So I will take the high road of promise not the low road of despair.  I just wish Hamilton could elevate his game, it is difficult for a big body at the age of 19.  

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"it galls people that they have lost to the Pens and Scabs this year.  Scabs took the season series in large part because the Bruins choked a third period away and lost in a shootout.  Pens also took the first game by coming back in the third, and the Bruins haven't beat them all year.  Put another way, the thinking seems to be that the Bruins haven't beaten the Scabs and Pens, so they can't beat the Scabs and Pens.  And that's just not true."

You've once again mixed up or assumed criticizing with having concern again...again. The 4-1 in the last five ugly wins will not cut it against teams that will pounce on the Bruins sudden inability to get the puck out of their own and not having anyone on the bottom six forwards who can take a great feed from Jagr or Peverley then do someting with it, like the inept attempts by Colon's favorite son last Saturday.

Toronto, Pittsburgh, Montreal and now Washington will not allow Boston to plug there way through a 7 game series with muckin, shuckin n grinden. Also Julien's crucial mistakes in who he has with whom in line combos along with who he has on the ice in the last minutes of a game reared it's ugly head again in Le Shabville. Claude reverted back to his 2009 playoff mistakes when he got taken to school by Maurice.

This will, of course, be all for not if Bergeron can't return. Signs are there and if you don't see them you are in denial son!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

The point? the Bruins cannot beat the Habs or Pens UNTIL they beat the Habs or Pens. And from my view, it's a matter of needing better answers for teams that can skate well, and I mean really skate well.  

So, as SanDog suggests, for many of us it's a concern, not a throw in the towel thing.

And when I speak for myself: if the Bs face either team in the playoffs I have no prediction; it's the playoffs.  No one expected the Habs to put up a fight in 2011 in the first round and come up 1 OT goal short, as no one expected the Bs to sweep the Flyers.  If anyone did, then my praises to those oracles.

That's a crock. There were very few of us who felt the Bruins could even beat the Habs. Most of you were posting things that were almost identical to what I've been subjected to lately. It even got to the point where I created a thread for everyone to officially go on record regarding whether or not they felt the Bruins even stood a chance against the NHL's elite. Many of us  believed they could do it but most of you didn't. Now it's deja vu all over again. It's as if most of you live on Gilligan's Island and just got hit by a coconut. A bunch of amnesiacs for gosh sakes.

Sections
Shortcuts