What to do with Qdoba?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

What to do with Qdoba?

An interesting situation is arising as far as the goalie situation in Boston.

Next year, Timmy is in the last year of his contract, Tuukka will presumably have a long-term deal (knock on wood) or a one-year arbitration deal, and Khudobin is signed on for one more year.

BUT Qdoba's contract is one-way next year I believe.

So it looks like something will have to be resolved this offseason.

What do you guys think will happen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Re: What to do with Qdoba?

Eat it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba?:
    [QUOTE]Eat it.
    Posted by matttt87[/QUOTE]

Yup.  It's making me want a burrito right now!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've never once, even when it was in fashion around here, suggested a Thomas trade. But this summer it may be time. His NTC ends, Rask will be getting a raise, Khudobin looks capable of being very strong in the number two spot and he's on a one way next year, and the return on Thomas from a contending team could be quite high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Absolutely do NOT trade Thomas.  You dont trade the best goaltender in the world off of a cup contending team.

My guess is that they either eat the contract or include Qdoba (haha) in a package.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Just to clarify, by "eat it" , I mean keep Qdoba in the minors all year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I've never once, even when it was in fashion around here, suggested a Thomas trade. But this summer it may be time. His NTC ends, Rask will be getting a raise, Khudobin looks capable of being very strong in the number two spot and he's on a one way next year, and the return on Thomas from a contending team could be quite high.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat.  Love Thomas and have never looked to dump him, but there is nothing worse than watching a team get too old before your eyes, especially when you pass on younger talent to keep them there.

Gulp, I'll say it.  This summer is the time to part ways with Timmy.  I don't even really want to talk about this until the playoffs are over, but it seems to be the way to go.  Maybe trade him at the draft?  The guy has value, and I believe that the Bruins would still have a better goalie situation than most teams.

All good things must come to an end.  Good teams stay on top by moving players before their talent goes into great decline, not by clinging to the glory of past years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

There are many options for goaltender next season:

Thomas performance through the post season will give PC his answer if he is stellar like last year post season then he will be here for another year.

Rask is a UFA so either already mention arbitration, PC will give a 2 to 3 yr deal somewhere in the 3.5 mill value.

Khodobin is good for another year not bad for a number three goalie.

Turco's contract is also a 1 yr. deal but he has lost his touch( terrible rebounds) but if the Bruins mngt. can arrange a two way contract with Turco. I would not complain having a experience back up goalie for the just in case scenario. Invite Turco to training camp won't hurt the Bruins organization.

Thomas Rask Kohodobin Turco this is not a bad 1 2 3 4 punch and Turco would be a good player to have around for the younger netminders in Prov. ie player coach puck handling skils etc.. Plus having a experience netminder in the minors is always good for trades for teams that unfortunately get goalie injury through the reg. season

This is what i would do but I am only a couch potato GM

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : I'm in the same boat.  Love Thomas and have never looked to dump him, but there is nothing worse than watching a team get too old before your eyes, especially when you pass on younger talent to keep them there. Gulp, I'll say it.  This summer is the time to part ways with Timmy.  I don't even really want to talk about this until the playoffs are over, but it seems to be the way to go.  Maybe trade him at the draft?  The guy has value, and I believe that the Bruins would still have a better goalie situation than most teams. All good things must come to an end.  Good teams stay on top by moving players before their talent goes into great decline, not by clinging to the glory of past years.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly Fletch. I wouldn't want to see him go - it may just be the best thing overall for the Bruins, and that's what PC has to look at.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]There are many options for goaltender next season: Thomas performance through the post season will give PC his answer if he is stellar like last year post season then he will be here for another year. Rask is a UFA so either already mention arbitration, PC will give a 2 to 3 yr deal somewhere in the 3.5 mill value. Khodobin is good for another year not bad for a number three goalie. Turco's contract is also a 1 yr. deal but he has lost his touch( terrible rebounds) but if the Bruins mngt. can arrange a two way contract with Turco. I would not complain having a experience back up goalie for the just in case scenario. Invite Turco to training camp won't hurt the Bruins organization. Thomas Rask Kohodobin Turco this is not a bad 1 2 3 4 punch and Turco would be a good player to have around for the younger netminders in Prov. ie player coach puck handling skils etc.. Plus having a experience netminder in the minors is always good for trades for teams that unfortunately get goalie injury through the reg. season This is what i would do but I am only a couch potato GM
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting about Hutchinson - don't think he should be buried back in the ECHL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Baring another exceptional/Conn Smythe post season, trading Thomas is the logical thing to do, unless you project Khudobin to be a future #1 in which case Tuukka would fetch more in the trade market, and would allow a short extension to Thomas to be negotiated, and groom Khudobin for another year as a back up before he's ready to start.  That would take guts on PC's part, but may be best for the team in the long run. I don't have to say what the down side would  be if Khudobin is a bust. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]Baring another exceptional/Conn Smythe post season, trading Thomas is the logical thing to do, unless you project Khudobin to be a future #1 in which case Tuukka would fetch more in the trade market, and would allow a short extension to Thomas to be negotiated, and groom Khudobin for another year as a back up before he's ready to start.  That would take guts on PC's part, but may be best for the team in the long run. I don't have to say what the down side would  be if Khudobin is a bust. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. If the B's can flip him for a 1st rounder then it may be in their best interests to do so. Rask is a starter (09-10 anyone?) and if Khudobin can play 20-25 games with consistency then it would be a good move.

you can't rely on an aging goalie for ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? :  Gulp, I'll say it.  This summer is the time to part ways with Timmy.  I don't even really want to talk about this until the playoffs are over, but it seems to be the way to go.  Maybe trade him at the draft?  Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

It's about money and worth in a trade nothing else so it can be said. Chiarelli gave Who?Doe-bin a one way contract to please his agent and the young goalie for this reason. He gets good pay no matter if he is playing in the NHL or AHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Something Bruin. Show Something Bruin's posts

Suppose Thomas has another great playoff(Cup or not), suppose Rask asks for a trade(both legitimate possiblities).  What if Edm. offers their 1st and Paraavi(?) for Rask or Columbus offers their 1st and Brassard for Rask.  I realize that the chances of these offers happening are slim but both teams have a need for goaltending.  I'm not saying I want to lose Rask but if an offer like that was made it would make for some interesting decisions.  Imagine adding Murray or Yakopov to an already young and talented core.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]Suppose Thomas has another great playoff(Cup or not), suppose Rask asks for a trade(both legitimate possiblities).  What if Edm. offers their 1st and Paraavi(?) for Rask or Columbus offers their 1st and Brassard for Rask.  I realize that the chances of these offers happening are slim but both teams have a need for goaltending.  I'm not saying I want to lose Rask but if an offer like that was made it would make for some interesting decisions.  Imagine adding Murray or Yakopov to an already young and talented core.
    Posted by Something Bruin[/QUOTE]

Seriously, seriously dillusional.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

This talk about trading TT. I can't believe what I am reading here. Do you want to help another team by shipping them the best goalie on the league? Has NJD traded Brodeur. No and he's still doing fine. 

Unless TT falls flat on his face in the playoffs, I can't see any reason to trade the reigning Venzina / Conn Smythe winner. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I agree with perry...TT's playoff performance will help PC make his decision.  I foresee an extension signed this summer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]This talk about trading TT. I can't believe what I am reading here. Do you want to help another team by shipping them the best goalie on the league? Has NJD traded Brodeur. No and he's still doing fine.  Unless TT falls flat on his face in the playoffs, I can't see any reason to trade the reigning Venzina / Conn Smythe winner. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Your right, but, should Martin Brodeur have defied Lou Lamirello and not went to a ceremony you can bet ol' Marty might be wearing a different color. Plus, it's different in Marty's case, he's broken records, chased records, pretty much the face of the Franchise down there in New jersey and the greatest player in their history.

I said it before, should the Bruins not win a Cup this year, he will eb dealt, and i dotnt hink the return will be as high as most people think.
    I say this, and I'm a huge TT fan, everyone here has seen me defend him, and I've been on record as saying I couldnt care less about the ceremony thing or his political views.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Everything depends on what happens in the playoffs. How far the Bruins get, and how TT performs will clearly influence his value, and thus will be a big determinant on PC's options. 

Look at two potential scenarios:  one, the Bruins go deep in the playoffs, maybe making it to the Finals again, with TT carrying the load.  Then, in July, he has a "Brodeur"-type valuation, being an elite goalie,though somewhat advanced in years.  Do the Bruins keep TT and move TR?  Or do they move TT while his value is high?

On the other hand, if the Bruins crash-and-burn, and TT looks ordinary, then his value nosedives, and his comparable becomes someone like Roloson (though not quite that low), rather than Brodeur.  That changes the dynamic tremendously, and PC's gameplan.  Do you move TT at his reduced value and stick with TR & Qhobo? 

And there are the permutations and combinations in between.  TT looks good in the 1st round, but falters in the second.  What happens then?

Though I know you guys don't care, this is eerily similar to the Luongo-Schneider-Lack situation facing Mike Gillis at the end of the season.  So much depends on what happens in Apr-May-June.  The off-season market for goalies could be an interesting one, indeed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

If Thomas can do what he did last postseason theres no way I could possibly see him being traded. If he can't, I beleive he will be traded.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Its like what guitar do you want to take to the pawn shop?
    1-2-3-4 punch seems excessive. things happen. players get traded.

Maybe timmy'll be in a diff uni for obama's 2nd term.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Your right, but, should Martin Brodeur have defied Lou Lamirello and not went to a ceremony you can bet ol' Marty might be wearing a different color. Plus, it's different in Marty's case, he's broken records, chased records, pretty much the face of the Franchise down there in New jersey and the greatest player in their history. I said it before, should the Bruins not win a Cup this year, he will eb dealt, and i dotnt hink the return will be as high as most people think. I say this, and I'm a huge TT fan, everyone here has seen me defend him, and I've been on record as saying I couldnt care less about the ceremony thing or his political views.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with anything stated here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I'd hate to see the team give up on Thomas based on a perceived letdown if they don't repeat as Champions.  So much needs to go right to win it all, way too much to pin on one guy.  I'm sure a lot of you watch the Patriots too.  When was the last time Brady carried the team in the playoffs?  Since the Carolina Super Bowl win, he's had a lot more clunkers than elite performances.

Rask should be a good goalie in this league, but he's yet to prove anything more than that.  He looked great 2 years ago, but has regressed since.   He broke down the past two years, and the team lost his last 7 starts.  I'm in no way suggesting the team should give up on him, but if it comes down to him or Thomas, I'll take the guy with two Vezina's, a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe.

Looking at their trade value, Thomas is clearly the best goalie of the three, but he'd have the most limited market.  His only suitors would be a team that feels they are a goalie away from immediately competing for the Cup.  Then what would those teams be willing to give up that wouldn't make them more than "a goalie a way from winning it all".  Unless the Bruins go into rebuilding mode, these trades between two teams in win now mode go over on paper and in video games much better than in reality.

Rask is young, and would have appeal to teams willing to take a step back.  Those teams would be more willing to trade players that could help the Bruins now, and increase their chances of winning again in the next few years.  Anton being the real deal could also push the transition back a few years, which could be a win-win situation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Holy crap.

The guy plays a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and people want to trade the team's #1 goaltender!   Rask is injured and has played less than spectacular FOR YEARS.  Khudobin has accomplished nothing.

Yeah, trade Thomas.  Throw in Chara, also.  Krug looks real good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]Holy crap. The guy plays a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and people want to trade the team's #1 goaltender!  
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

^This

Sections
Shortcuts