What to do with Qdoba?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: What to do with Qdoba?

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba?:
    Holy crap. The guy plays a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and people want to trade the team's #1 goaltender!   Rask is injured and has played less than spectacular FOR YEARS.  Khudobin has accomplished nothing. Yeah, trade Thomas.  Throw in Chara, also.  Krug looks real good.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I've said this long before Khudobin made his start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboman88. Show zamboman88's posts

Are we seriously talking about this with less than a week until game 1/16?  Never trade Tim Thomas. HE WON US THE CUP!  HE SHOULD GET A STATUE NOT  TRADED!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

The proper reference is "President Obama" and for the sake of this nation and Bruins, I hope and pray you are wrong...you can keep the change.
    Its like what guitar do you want to take to the pawn shop? 1-2-3-4 punch seems excessive. things happen. players get traded.  Maybe timmy'll be in a diff uni for obama's 2nd term.
    Posted by 86redsox

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Trade Thomas in the offseason. It's time to move foward. It's good business and sound management. The B's have a top flight proven replacement for him. Don't let sentiments cloud decisions about what's best for the club.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It always depends upon performance, especially for goalies. I prefer to look at it as Chiarelli's game plan. He is well aware of Timmy's style and his age. His style is not comparable, and relies on superb conditioning, which does diminish as age progresses. That's all involved with the length and restrictions[ or lack of them] in Timmy's contract. Tuuka has been on the steady development track, although many of us thought that Claude did not use him as well as he could, before the injury. Now Chiarelli must consider Tuuka's injury, a difficult restoration for a butterfly goalie. Khudobin has fulfilled Chiarelli's bet for next year, as the potential back-up. Tuuka's play, in the coming weeks will be as important as Timmy's to determine which one is traded. Red mentioned Hutchinson, the 20 year old with stats almost as good as Khudobin; the Bruins just plucked another goalie prospect from the Western league; and they also selected a quality prospect two years ago, as Chiarelli filled in his depth chart.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Trade Thomas in the offseason. It's time to move foward. It's good business and sound management. The B's have a top flight proven replacement for him. Don't let sentiments cloud decisions about what's best for the club.
    Posted by westga

Who is the top flight proven replacement?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Just to clarify, by "eat it" , I mean keep Qdoba in the minors all year
    Posted by Drewski5

Qdoba will not make it to the minors.  On a one-way deal he'll be claimed off waivers before he gets there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Who is the top flight proven replacement?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Hmmm.....maybe that feller named Rask. You know, the one that led the league in gaa and sv% (1.97, .931%) as a starter in 09/10?

And before you go into the old "ohh...he wilted in the playoffs against Philly" shtick just remember that they did not lose that series due to goaltending but their inability to score goals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Something Bruin. Show Something Bruin's posts

Sooner or later, like it or not, the B's will need to move a player(s).  They will need to make business decisions that will make some fans unhappy.  If done smartly they can remain a contender as well as continue to add young talented assets.  One day Seguin will be a center,who stays,Bergeron or Krejci?  Could Krejci be moved to a team such as Nashville for an Ellis and Lindback.  If Thomas plays well again, do the Bruins shop Rask?  The return for Varlamov was a 1st and 2nd, Rask should get that or more.  Personally I like this team and would be thrilled if they can keep intact,  but I realize that changes will enventually come.  In the meantime lets get the show on the road and start fighting for a repeat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Thank you.  There's not enough of a sample size on him to make a reliable judgement.  He has had 6 career NHL starts.  He obviously looked pretty agile, sharp, and durable facing 44 Ottawa shots, but even so-so goalies have had games like that - fired up on adrenaline. I want the guy to be the real deal (and my gut tells me he is.)  But no risking major trades if we can keep him in the org for another year.   Call him up for 5-6 games next season; then, we'll know better what the Bs have in him.
    Posted by ipot

Khudobin will need to clear waivers to be moved back and forth.  Strong possibility of loosing him.  It may be big club or bust next year.  That's what's fueling all this speculation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Holy crap. The guy plays a meaningless game at the end of the regular season and people want to trade the team's #1 goaltender!   Rask is injured and has played less than spectacular FOR YEARS.  Khudobin has accomplished nothing. Yeah, trade Thomas.  Throw in Chara, also.  Krug looks real good.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Killjoy.  This place would be awfully boring if we stuck you your list of approved topics. 
    The Bruins have a really good team of pro scouts that know a lot about Khudobin.  I'm pretty sure they are not basing any opinions on one meaningless game.  They have a large body of work to examine. How he fits into the future plans will be based on those opinions.  If they feel he's ready to play in the NHL, then these trade scenarios are real possibilities, given his status and flight risk back to Russia.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Tukka Rask as the numero uno goaltender

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

goalies are incredibly difficult to project.  TT is a great example, so is Raycroft.  The whole industry wrote TT off, and the same group projected stardom for Raycroft.  Pretty tough decision to make.(and one I'm not that interested in, with playoffs just starting)
    I think PC and company will make the right decision, however, the dynamics that dictate that, will probably be more dependant on what transpires over the next couple months, than what's happenned up til now.
    If both TT and TR's perceived ability around the league, is the same at the end of the year, as it is now, I'd bet the Bruins would want to consider offers for all of their goalies before they make a decision.  Unfortunately, moving forward, economics are going to increasingly dictate the Bruin roster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Hmmm.....maybe that feller named Rask. You know, the one that led the league in gaa and sv% (1.97, .931%) as a starter in 09/10? And before you go into the old "ohh...he wilted in the playoffs against Philly" shtick just remember that they did not lose that series due to goaltending but their inability to score goals.
    Posted by jaywall

He stinks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : He stinks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Heh...aww, come on NAS. I know you can do better than that. List 4 reasons you think Rask stinks. that is a good start. I will give you 4 reasons why he doesn't.

Here:

1. Led league in gaa as a starter in 09/10: 1.97
    2. Led league in sv% as a starter in 09.10: .931%
    3. Led his team to the 7th game of the second round in 09/10 against the eventual Eastern cup finalists despite the B's being the lowest scoring team in the league that year (matching the playoff accomplishments of TT up to that point)
    4. His playoff gaa and sv% were better than the cup winning goalie that year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Heh...aww, come on NAS. I know you can do better than that. List 4 reasons you think Rask stinks. that is a good start. I will give you 4 reasons why he doesn't. Here: 1. Led league in gaa as a starter in 09/10: 1.97 2. Led league in sv% as a starter in 09.10: .931% 3. Led his team to the 7th game of the second round in 09/10 against the eventual Eastern cup finalists despite the B's being the lowest scoring team in the league that year (matching the accomplishments of TT up to that point) 4. His playoff gaa and sv% were better than the cup winning goalie that year
    Posted by jaywall

5. He is a goalie so he doesn't have plus/minus statistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Heh...aww, come on NAS. I know you can do better than that. List 4 reasons you think Rask stinks. that is a good start. I will give you 4 reasons why he doesn't. Here: 1. Led league in gaa as a starter in 09/10: 1.97 2. Led league in sv% as a starter in 09.10: .931% 3. Led his team to the 7th game of the second round in 09/10 against the eventual Eastern cup finalists despite the B's being the lowest scoring team in the league that year (matching the playoff accomplishments of TT up to that point) 4. His playoff gaa and sv% were better than the cup winning goalie that year
    Posted by jaywall

TT has proven he can win it all. TR, even as good as his numbers are, has not. Some can do it, and some can't. We know one can, we do not know if the other can.

I think we all agree (NAS excluded) that Rask has shown that he has all the tools to be a #1. I would install him as the #1 if not for TT being the BEST GOALIE in THE NHL. This isn't based on just one year only. 2 Vezinas. One Conn Symthe. One Stanley Cup. Good thing for us North of the border, the US Team didn't use him in the Olympics, or it might have been different. (yes I know he had his off year when he was hurt) 

Might as well trade Chara this off-season because Dougie Hamilton is coming along. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : TT has proven he can win it all. TR, even as good as his numbers are, has not. Some can do it, and some can't. We know one can, we do not know if the other can. I think we all agree (NAS excluded) that Rask has shown that he has all the tools to be a #1. I would install him as the #1 if not for TT being the BEST GOALIE in THE NHL. This isn't based on just one year only. 2 Vezinas. One Conn Symthe. One Stanley Cup. Good thing for us North of the border, the US Team didn't use him in the Olympics, or it might have been different. (yes I know he had his off year when he was hurt)  Might as well trade Chara this off-season because Dougie Hamilton is coming along. 
    Posted by perrysound

Not arguing with you Perry but imagine if we used that logic on TT based on his first three in the NHL. Prior to his breakout season in 09 he did not win anything, didn't lead the NHL in any category, barely won more games then he lost, and didn't win a single playoff round. Should we have cut TT loose then since he was yet to show he was the best goalie in the league? This is Rask's third year and he has already proven himself a starter. He will not want to play second fiddle for ever.

I get that TT has shown to be one of the best goalies in the world over the last three years. Furthermore, I like him. But to just say we have to keep him because Rask "stinks" is a little ridiculous. I am not saying GET RID OF HIM NOW AT ALL COSTS but if the right offer came PC would be a fool not to consider. Rask is waiting in the wings and he is no slouch himself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Jay, I see the point. If you hold onto all your players from the Championship years, you'll get old and wither away. If you could get someone like Shea Weber, okay. But it'd have to be that level of trade, for me to be good with it. 

If there is one player I would make a Bruin for the rest of his days, it would be Timmy. He's even more the "Hero" than Reggie Lemelin, who slayed the schabs. Yes, Neely and Bourque too, but Reggie did the trick. 

Anyway, enjoy the Playoffs. I got Krejci, Marchand, Roloston, and Ference in the draft, + 4 Detroit and a couple NJDs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Jay, I see the point. If you hold onto all your players from the Championship years, you'll get old and wither away. If you could get someone like Shea Weber, okay. But it'd have to be that level of trade, for me to be good with it.  If there is one player I would make a Bruin for the rest of his days, it would be Timmy. He's even more the "Hero" than Reggie Lemelin, who slayed the schabs. Yes, Neely and Bourque too, but Reggie did the trick.  Anyway, enjoy the Playoffs. I got Krejci, Marchand, Roloston, and Ference in the draft, + 4 Detroit and a couple NJDs. 
    Posted by perrysound

No argument from me here. Interesting you mention Lemelin. He tends to get the short end of the stick in that era in favour of Moog. Reggie had his moments that's for sure!

By the way, judging by your picks are you gunning for a Boston/Detroit final? Solid choice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : No argument from me here. Interesting you mention Lemelin. He tends to get the short end of the stick in that era in favour of Moog. Reggie had his moments that's for sure! By the way, judging by your picks are you gunning for a Boston/Detroit final? Solid choice.
    Posted by jmwalters

Hoping for the sake of the money, but not so much. I got to pick 8th so I didn't get who I wanted. In all honesty, the B's are alonger shot than last year. Missing Horton is big. Hopefully they stay healthy and get back to the finals. St Louis or Van are my picks on the other side, but the good plyers were gone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : TT has proven he can win it all. TR, even as good as his numbers are, has not. Some can do it, and some can't. We know one can, we do not know if the other can. I think we all agree (NAS excluded) that Rask has shown that he has all the tools to be a #1. I would install him as the #1 if not for TT being the BEST GOALIE in THE NHL. This isn't based on just one year only. 2 Vezinas. One Conn Symthe. One Stanley Cup. Good thing for us North of the border, the US Team didn't use him in the Olympics, or it might have been different. (yes I know he had his off year when he was hurt)  Might as well trade Chara this off-season because Dougie Hamilton is coming along. 
    Posted by perrysound

The major difference is that Chara isn't entering the last year of his deal with a NMC kicking in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

You keep both for as long as you can.  We are not in cap trouble.  I know this because practically our entire team is locked up for next year.  There is not enough of a reason to move him.

Why trade an elite goaltender when you are in your stanley cup window?

There is just not enough of a reason to make the trade.  We can win with both Rask and Thomas on this team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : The major difference is that Chara isn't entering the last year of his deal with a NMC kicking in.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Exactly right.  Our hand is being forced a bit with Thomas -- it is a threshold moment where a major decision on goaltending must be made.

So the debate is not whether we like Thomas, or whether he's a great goalie, or if Rask/Qdoba are better.  Not at all.

The question is, at what point to you choose to move in another direction with an aging goalie when you have two promising replacements in the system.  The replacements have proven nothing much yet (although Rask kinda has), but neither had Thomas when he came up.  Change is inevitable and you can't just fall in love with Thomas' past work forever.

I watch Belichik very sucessfully ship away some 'stars' before their decline (Law, Milloy, Seymour, etc.) and get good value for them while keeping the team younger and closer to their collective prime.  It is one of the things that makes him a good GM, in my opinion.  He doesn't fall in love with the glory of the past or the hype of the future.

Chiarelli has a tough decision to make.  To think that Thomas is the unquestioned future for this team is just as foolish as it was to doubt him 3 years ago.  Deal with the contraints of today, not yesterday.  This is in no way related to getting rid of Chara or Bergeron.  This is a unique situation and a crossroads for the Bruins goaltender position that could have ramifications for years to follow.  Blind faith for or against Thomas makes no sense.  It will be a judement call.

Do you move on from Thomas next year, in two years, or try to hang on to Thomas for five years?  A perfectly valid debate at this point, with each answer having merits.  

Sections
Shortcuts