What to make of Torey Krug?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

What to make of Torey Krug?

Any thoughts out there on this kid?  Is this a depth signing or do they actually see him in their plans?  I think his contract is a two-way deal, according to CapGeek, paying $70k @ Providence and $925k with the big club with additional bonus opportunities. 

Just seems unlikely that with Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference & McQuaid returning and with Hamilton in the pipeline, that this kid makes the team.  Destined to play in Providence or an NHL sleeper?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: What to make of Torey Krug?

In Response to What to make of Torey Krug?:
    Any thoughts out there on this kid?  Is this a depth signing or do they actually see him in their plans?  I think his contract is a two-way deal, according to CapGeek, paying $70k @ Providence and $925k with the big club with additional bonus opportunities.  Just seems unlikely that with Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference & McQuaid returning and with Hamilton in the pipeline, that this kid makes the team.  Destined to play in Providence or an NHL sleeper?
    Posted by Crowls2424

Crowls, I could see him playing in Boston after Ference's contract is up. I'll be surprised if Ference is re-signed in Boston after next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

mayor of munchkin land. see kampfer and hunwick for more information.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

GM's all try to sign young guys they've seen, or heard good things about, and hope that about 1 out of 5, actually become good enough to play in the NHL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Osso bucco?

Not a lot of opportunity in Boston right now, but not a lot of competition.  Hamilton isn't a sure thing right out of the gate, and even if he does make the team, Claude likes to carry extra guys.  The Hunwick model seems to work for him - keep a guy with the big club for most of the year, but only really work him in at the half-way mark. 

On the other hand, he's a small, NCAA defenseman.  I think I've said enough on that subject.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

How can you not root for this guy?  How?  The little engine that could.  Or might. Or maybe.

He's got good hands, give him that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A good question Crowls, especially considering what was spent (a year of the EL deal already).

I think Chiarelli thought* less about the lineup and roster spots and more about the opportunity to possibly pluck a talented defensmen without using a draft pick or trading anyone.  I think Krug will be in Providence next year for sure, but who knows.  The smaller skilled defensemen seem to often need a year or two of AHL grooming.  Krug has been beating up on lesser talents and other small players in the NCAA.  I think he needs a year of seasoning.

If Hamilton becomes so good that a Krug type really isn't needed in another year, so be it.  Let's hope one of them pans out quickly.

*For those who point out that I don't know what Chiarelli thinks and I'm speculating -- Yes.  That should be obvious here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What to make of Torey Krug?:
    A good question Crowls, especially considering what was spent (a year of the EL deal already). I think Chiarelli thought* less about the lineup and roster spots and more about the opportunity to possibly pluck a talented defensmen without using a draft pick or trading anyone.  I think Krug will be in Providence next year for sure, but who knows.  The smaller skilled defensemen seem to often need a year or two of AHL grooming.  Krug has been beating up on lesser talents and other small players in the NCAA.  I think he needs a year of seasoning. If Hamilton becomes so good that a Krug type really isn't needed in another year, so be it.  Let's hope one of them pans out quickly. * For those who point out that I don't know what Chiarelli thinks and I'm speculating -- Yes.  That should be obvious here.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch, I love the new disclaimer. Another little trick I've started using more often is starting sentences by saying, " I could be wrong but..........". I realized that once you start a sentence with that you can finish it with just about anything. It's a built-in disclaimer. Cheers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Chiarelli just realizes how hard it is to find a good solid puck moving d-man and is hoping one or two of these signings in the last few years pans out. Low risk.high reward.

Dez, I could be wrong but you may be on to something there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: What to make of Torey Krug? : Fletch, I love the new disclaimer. Another little trick I've started using more often is starting sentences by saying, " I could be wrong but..........". I realized that once you start a sentence with that you can finish it with just about anything. It's a built-in disclaimer. Cheers!
    Posted by dezaruchi

I could be wrong but i think this is a good way to start when offering a viewpoint on anything.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I could be wrong but... I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by Krug's contribution in the long term.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not wrong.  Better to have the nads to say it and take the heat than begin by acknowledging you have no idea what you're talking about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

In Response to Re: What to make of Torey Krug? : Fletch, I love the new disclaimer. Another little trick I've started using more often is starting sentences by saying, " I could be wrong but..........". I realized that once you start a sentence with that you can finish it with just about anything. It's a built-in disclaimer. Cheers!
    Posted by dezaruchi

No Kidding Dez was that for the NASsayers...lol Fletch love it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm not wrong.  Better to have the nads to say it and take the heat than begin by acknowledging you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I could be wrong here but I don't think any of us are that worried about the heat they might take for an opinion. I'm also not sure how implying that you're not positive about something would immediately be construed as having "no idea what you're talking about"? Stanley's also got the "nads" to guarantee that his predictions about players are correct so I'll just leave that ballsy stuff to you guys.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

We're all wrong at one time or another. Just that some have such high opinions of themselves that they think this doesn't happen................I could be wrong though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I could be wrong here but I don't think any of us are that worried about the heat they might take for an opinion.

This started with a disclaimer born out of someone taking heat for speculating.  There's nothing wrong with speculating; there's a big difference between speculating and guessing wildly.  Speculating means you're basing your statements on something that you think is relevant - you've seen a pattern or you've looked at a situation in some depth.  Guessing is what Stanley does, or worse, it's the e-harmony conversations about Nash. If you're genuinely speculating, and someone says "you're speculating," they might as well say the sky is blue.  So why use a disclaimer?

I'm also not sure how implying that you're not positive about something would immediately be construed as having "no idea what you're talking about"? 

When your first words are basically hedging your bets, it reads as though even you think what follows is likely bs.  That's true in almost any kind of writing.  I can send you a bibliography of university writing textbooks that will all make this point.  More importantly though, I don't think saying "I could be wrong about this..." adds anything we don't all already know.  I don't read that and go "wow, really?!?!  dez could be wrong?!?! why the thought had never occured to me!  the man has over 10,000 posts, after all."  I assume you could be wrong.  And whether you add a disclaimer or not, I'll be sure to tell you!

The 'nads thing was born out of the accumulated frustration of having made this point in one form or another at different stages of my work life.  Don't take it personally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by Bookboy007

I don't know what the university text books say about stating something like this in a conversation that involves opinions but I do know what it means to the average person on the street.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, the disclaimer is certainly not an attempt to relieve the heat (this, again, is an internet message board, not the prison yard -- I don't think anyone is afraid of "the heat").  It's more about possibly saving the annoyance of having to point out the obvious later on, instead of sticking to the discussion.

On just about every thread here most people are speculating, some in an intelligent way, some not.  But to point out in specific threads that someone is speculating (about say, the inner working of the Bruins) is akin to pointing out that internet is on computers.  It should go without saying.  Anyone who claims to have insider information here is almost always full of it.  So, just assume we're all speculating, opining, or whatever...

I guess I could be wrong here though...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

With such a small sample it's difficult to predict. Have you noticed that there has been a stream of players that fit Don Sweeney's physique, in the hope that one will fit the mold ? Krug's skating and puck handling appeared to be as good , or better, than Kamfer, or hunwick before him. However Ference has survived, and others, of the same size are producing. It all depends upon the smarts between the ears.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was pleasantly surprised by Krug's play.  The B's did give a lot to him to get his pen to paper.  With Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference and McQuaid, all under contract and playing well, there's only one spot available on game night.  The B's certainly aren't going to keep Hamilton in the press box if he sticks around, so Krug will have to either smoke him at the beginning of the year or start out in Providence. 

The B's didn't just stumble across him on the internet a week before he was signed.  They'd been watching him for a while.  From NEHJ:

The GM praised Krug's leadership and character in his three seasons in East Lansing, saying:

"He’s a two-time captain of Michigan State, was a lone captain as a sophomore. The kid’s got tremendous character. He’s not a big player, but he’s got a lot of heart."

Chiarelli also said that Krug was nearly a Bruin a year ago.

"We actually almost drafted him last year," he said. "We met him last year, we talked to him last year, and we kept in touch with him during the year."

--

That says to me that he's in their plans.  Maybe he and Hamilton go bananas and force a trade?  It's unlikely, but possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, the disclaimer is certainly not an attempt to relieve the heat (this, again, is an internet message board, not the prison yard -- I don't think anyone is afraid of "the heat").  It's more about possibly saving the annoyance of having to point out the obvious later on, instead of sticking to the discussion. On just about every thread here most people are speculating, some in an intelligent way, some not.  But to point out in specific threads that someone is speculating (about say, the inner working of the Bruins) is akin to pointing out that internet is on computers.  It should go without saying.  Anyone who claims to have insider information here is almost always full of it.  So, just assume we're all speculating, opining, or whatever... I guess I could be wrong here though...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yes, it should go without saying that there is speculation involved, but when a long time respected poster is making speculative statements about something with 100% no foundation at all, it needs to be pointed out.

Your posts about who does what in the B's front office had zero behind them.  It was important to have that pointed out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Dez should start every dioscussion with "I AM wrong but..." He may as well cut to the chase.

ABout Krug, I MAY BE WRONG BUT I think he's an big upgrade over both Hunwick and Kampfer. He really impressed me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I was pleasantly surprised by Krug's play.  The B's did give a lot to him to get his pen to paper.  With Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference and McQuaid, all under contract and playing well, there's only one spot available on game night.  The B's certainly aren't going to keep Hamilton in the press box if he sticks around, so Krug will have to either smoke him at the beginning of the year or start out in Providence.  The B's didn't just stumble across him on the internet a week before he was signed.  They'd been watching him for a while.  From NEHJ: The GM praised Krug's leadership and character in his three seasons in East Lansing, saying: "He’s a two-time captain of Michigan State, was a lone captain as a sophomore. The kid’s got tremendous character. He’s not a big player, but he’s got a lot of heart." Chiarelli also said that Krug was nearly a Bruin a year ago. "We actually almost drafted him last year," he said. "We met him last year, we talked to him last year, and we kept in touch with him during the year."   --   That says to me that he's in their plans.  Maybe he and Hamilton go bananas and force a trade?  It's unlikely, but possible.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Sounds like an NCAA violation.

Sections
Shortcuts