What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup?

Happy fourth of July to everyone.(Thank you Mike Ryder) Now that we have gone through one of the greatest and most exiting runs in Bruins and Boston sports history, I ask the question? Which Bruins team was the best not to win the Cup? Between 1972 and 2011? It's very tough because there were so many.(71 dosen't count because that was before 72, but that was the greatest Bruins team IMO.) My first choice is 74. Yes the team that lost to the Flyers.(I live in Philly and had to put up with a lot of abuse also.) It had veterans-Espo, Orr, Chief, Hodge,Cashman, Marcotte,Dallas Smith etc...and young and new guys-O'Rielly, Shepeard,Schmautz, Andre Savard. And Gil Gilbert though not the greatest goalie in Bruins history, had a heck of a year. Gilbert played very well against the Flyers, he just wasn't Parent. My runners up would be 78,09,90 and a toss up between 83 and 80(Bourques rookie year, one of my favorite teams.) Some of those Park, Ratelle, Middleton, Milbury teams were really good. They just always had to face those great stinking Canadien teams. They also had the best record in the league 3 times-74,83 and 90. 09 they were one point behind San Jose.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup?

Jay? I have to say that the 93' Bruins were a team under Brian Sutter that had it all! The ONLY reason in my mind that the Sabers swept the B's that year was because of ONE thing & ONE thing only! Andy Moog finally had his chance to prove to the hockey world that he wasn't in Fuhr's shadow. The guy just came off of shutting out the Sabers 2 out of the last 3 regular season games. Had a GAA of 1.69 in his last 8 games. For the 2nd time in his career. (90) being the 1st. Moog was "AWFUL!" As much as I loved the guy for being the only goalie in Bruins history besides TT after this season;  to have a winning record against the Habs in the play-offs. He totally cracked in that series! So bad that Sutter was forced to start John Blue in game 3! The B's had 51; or 52 wins that season winning 11 out of their last 12 coming into the play-offs that yr. With Montreal beating Quebec; than Buffalo; then the Islanders who took out the team the B's couldn't in the 2 previous yrs. That cup was primed for the B's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup?:
    [QUOTE]Jay? I have to say that the 93' Bruins were a team under Brian Sutter that had it all! The ONLY reason in my mind that the Sabers swept the B's that year was because of ONE thing & ONE thing only! Andy Moog finally had his chance to prove to the hockey world that he wasn't in Fuhr's shadow. The guy just came off of shutting out the Sabers 2 out of the last 3 regular season games. Had a GAA of 1.69 in his last 8 games. For the 2nd time in his career. (90) being the 1st. Moog was "AWFUL!" As much as I loved the guy for being the only goalie in Bruins history besides TT after this season;  to have a winning record against the Habs in the play-offs. He totally cracked in that series! So bad that Sutter was forced to start John Blue in game 3! The B's had 51; or 52 wins that season winning 11 out of their last 12 coming into the play-offs that yr. With Montreal beating Quebec; than Buffalo; then the Islanders who took out the team the B's couldn't in the 2 previous yrs. That cup was primed for the B's.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Yes that was a darn good team and they really blew it. 3 Ot losses. I remember watching them lose game 1 in a Newport RI bar that Sunday night. I was up visting to watch the Red Sox game and Marathon the next day. It was a tough loss but we all agreed they would come back and win it in 6 or so. Didn't happen. That 80 team had 3 OT's against the Islanders. 2 were losses and one was a win. As great as the Islanders became that year, I would like to go back in time and see if any hockey writers had picked the Isles to win the cup. It's hard to believe but they were considered underachievers and chokers before they won their four cups in a row.(Couldn't win the big one) They choked to the Leafs and Lanny McDonald in 78, and then lost to a much less talented Rangers team in 79. Winning changes everything. I bet more writers picked the Bruins  over the Isles that year(1980). I think the Isles record that year was like 38-28-14 or something like that. I realize now the Isles proved they were better but going into the playoffs(with Dryden gone) I really liked our chances. That Pens team in 93 may have had a better record then the two previous cup teams. You're right the cards were put right in front of us and we didn't respond. The Kings seemed to have lost the fight in the finals against the Habs after the illegal curved stick incident.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

this is absolutely going to get me laughed at but atleast i am being honest!

the year 2003-2004. the boston bruins 80th year of hockey!
    regular season 41-19-15-7      (#1 seed)

huge trade at deadline for gonchar and nylander!
    good young coach mike sullivan
    good forward lines---good solid defense

murray-thornton-knuble
    donato(hilbert)-nylander-samsonov
    lapointe-rolston-axelesson
    zamuner-bergeron-travis green

gonchar-mcgillis
    odonnell-slegr
    gill-boynton

raycroft

looking at it now that team was flawed and its not surprising that Montreal(8th seed) won in 7 games. that being said going into that playoff i was ready for a long run to the cup instead i got kicked in the jimmies. ok u can tear me apart now!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup?:
    [QUOTE]this is absolutely going to get me laughed at but atleast i am being honest! the year 2003-2004. the boston bruins 80th year of hockey! regular season 41-19-15-7      (#1 seed) huge trade at deadline for gonchar and nylander! good young coach mike sullivan good forward lines---good solid defense murray-thornton-knuble donato(hilbert)-nylander-samsonov lapointe-rolston-axelesson zamuner-bergeron-travis green gonchar-mcgillis odonnell-slegr gill-boynton raycroft looking at it now that team was flawed and its not surprising that Montreal(8th seed) won in 7 games. that being said going into that playoff i was ready for a long run to the cup instead i got kicked in the jimmies. ok u can tear me apart now!!!
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

That looked like a pretty good team going into the playoffs. And to add insult to injury they lost game 7 in Boston after a great Patriots Day. Sox beat the Yanks to take 3 out of 4 and a great Marathon that same day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]this is absolutely going to get me laughed at but atleast i am being honest! the year 2003-2004. the boston bruins 80th year of hockey! regular season 41-19-15-7      (#1 seed) huge trade at deadline for gonchar and nylander! good young coach mike sullivan good forward lines---good solid defense murray-thornton-knuble donato(hilbert)-nylander-samsonov lapointe-rolston-axelesson zamuner-bergeron-travis green gonchar-mcgillis odonnell-slegr gill-boynton raycroft looking at it now that team was flawed and its not surprising that Montreal(8th seed) won in 7 games. that being said going into that playoff i was ready for a long run to the cup instead i got kicked in the jimmies. ok u can tear me apart now!!!

Bruins were the 2 seed that season but I agree I realy thought with the additions of nylander and goncahr that team was a legit threat to win the cup that year. I was at the game 7 loss talk about the longest 6 hour ride ever back to maine. Theodore won that series. I remember i think in the first min of that game samsonov had a point blank shot and it barely missed being a goal. I was pretty drunk mind you but was 7 rows behind the net. Would have could have should have but it made this last year that much sweeter. I believe the 88 and 90 bruins got the most out of what they had and even though they lost in the finals they got the most of the talent they had on those particular teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

I'll answer your post differently:

The 1978-79 Edition was the closest one to Lord Stanley (by about 3 minutes !!!)... even if they didn't play in Final round

The older ones know what I'm talking about...

If the B's would have kept their 4-3 lead, late in 3rd period vs Habs, then the Rangers would have been a formality in final round (as they were for Habs)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]I'll answer your post differently: The 1978-79 Edition was the closest one to Lord Stanley (by about 3 minutes !!!)... even if they didn't play in Final round The older ones know what I'm talking about... If the B's would have kept their 4-3 lead, late in 3rd period vs Habs, then the Rangers would have been a formality in final round (as they were for Habs)
    Posted by Bruinsforever[/QUOTE]

I can still see Lafleur blowing that shot past Gilles Gilbert on the long side. That was my favorite version of the Bruins—until this year, of course.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I've never been so angry at the Bs as I was at the end of their play off run in 2004. Could have went all the way but they choked and to cap it off Sullivan delivered his jolly 'Up up with people' interview routine at the end of the seventh game. To be honest this still kills me today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup? : I've never been so angry at the Bs as I was at the end of their play off run in 2004. Could have went all the way but they choked and to cap it off Sullivan delivered his jolly 'Up up with people' interview routine at the end of the seventh game. To be honest this still kills me today.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

im sorry your right lucic17 the bruins were a #2 that year and the stanley cup champs were the #1 seed tampa bay.
    hanarahan that one burns to this day. there was a real buzz to that team going into that playoff. its was another great series for no show JOE 7 games 0 points -6 plus minus. of course the lock out followed that year and alot of those players were gone come the start of the following season!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup? : im sorry your right lucic17 the bruins were a #2 that year and the stanley cup champs were the #1 seed tampa bay. hanarahan that one burns to this day. there was a real buzz to that team going into that playoff. its was another great series for no show JOE 7 games 0 points -6 plus minus. of course the lock out followed that year and alot of those players were gone come the start of the following season!

I wonder if thortons ribs weren't ailing had there been a different outcome to that seriess. We will never know I remember after that game I was so drunk and mad I don't know how I didn't get arrested. Thanks to my friends they held me back and the 3 of them tackled me to the ground I tried to get at one of the refs outside when they were leaving the garden I said something to the effect " way to decide the outcome of the game calling that penaly on lapointe with about 4 mins left in the third" One of them mocked me and I lost my mind. Sober when i saw the replay the next day the refs pretty much had no choice but to call a penalty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MankatoMaverick. Show MankatoMaverick's posts

I'm with those who said 1978-1979.  Some Hall of Famers in Park and Ratelle, great supporting cast (I think this team may have had a record number of 20 goal scorers) and overall, a fun group to watch.  O'Reilly, Wensink, Jonathan, McNab, Middleton, Bobby Miller, Bobby Schmautz, Don Marcotte, Denis O'Brien--could go on and on.  I think Secord was still on the team this year before they sent him to Chicago, but I may be off by a year. 

I think that if they had beaten the Habs, the B's would have smoked the Rangers in the finals.  If, if, if.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I am not sure if they are the best team to not win the Cup but I really liked the 88 team coached by Terry Orielly .The upset over Montreal was so sweet .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]I am not sure if they are the best team to not win the Cup but I really liked the 88 team coached by Terry Orielly .The upset over Montreal was so sweet .
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

True but that 88 bruins team had no shot against the oilers. I think the original poster is asking wich was the most talented team not to win the cup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Im going with the '74 team... still had Orr/Espo and company, just couldnt solve Parent, much like they couldnt crack Dryden in '71.

Im not jumping on the "would have beat the Rangers" in '79 bandwagon... lots of people thought Vancouver was a gimme this year.  Thats why they play the games.  That was a great B's team, though.

Still disappointed with Plante laying an egg in '73...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Was hoping no one was ever gonna bring up Plante's 73 stinker but I guess I've been lucky it actually hasn't been highlighted more.

Have bittersweet memories of April 26th 1988. Bruins beat the Habs for the first time in over 40 years but my post game behaviour leads to the end of my then engagement. You think she would have understood.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RidingwiththeQueen. Show RidingwiththeQueen's posts

Oh darling.. we're so old now...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm too young to remember the 70's teams, though I know they were outstanding.  I think '90 was good, '93 maybe even better.  Moog was weak and Brian Sutter was the anti-Claude Julien - run the players into the ground during the regular season and fizzle in the playoffs.  The '04 team easily could have won the cup if not for Thornton's cracked ribs.  Of course, maybe he still would have played lousy but that team was every bit as good as Tampa Bay.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That '93 team was the definition of depth.  10 15 goal scorers not counting Cam who potted 11 in 13 at the end.  Nothing wrong with a Heinze or a Donato when you've also got a Leetch, Smolinski, Rozie, Poulin, etc.  Nonetheless I don't like them because of questionable goaltending and the lack of an elite #2 center, which I think is the key to all championships.  The '04 team had Thornton, Nylander and Rolston, so at center they were outstanding.  Raycroft well... I guess we'll never know, but he was not the reason they lost in the first round and was among the best goalies that year.  His career went south when they shrunk the equipment post-lockout.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]That '93 team was the definition of depth.  10 15 goal scorers not counting Cam who potted 11 in 13 at the end.  Nothing wrong with a Heinze or a Donato when you've also got a Leetch, Smolinski, Rozie, Poulin, etc.  Nonetheless I don't like them because of questionable goaltending and the lack of an elite #2 center, which I think is the key to all championships.  The '04 team had Thornton, Nylander and Rolston, so at center they were outstanding.  Raycroft well... I guess we'll never know, but he was not the reason they lost in the first round and was among the best goalies that year.  His career went south when they shrunk the equipment post-lockout.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

he only gave up one goal in game 7 hard to blame the razzor. He was just like blain lacher one good year and it was all down hill from there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Was hoping no one was ever gonna bring up Plante's 73 stinker but I guess I've been lucky it actually hasn't been highlighted more. Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one old enough to remember sitting through it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the best Bruin team between 72 an 2011, not to win the Cup? : I thought I was the only one old enough to remember sitting through it.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I was pretty young but I remember bragging to some kids at recess about how great Plante was. Then he went and gave up something like 10 goals in the first two loses and the Bs and I never recovered.
    Don't think Espo or Orr contributed much in that series either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Thing was, he was superb  the last few games of the season for the B's.  I always loved him and couldnt believe he was a Bruin.  I remember he always looked out of place with the Bruins jersey on, like he was still wearing blue pants from Toronto or something. I think any 70's Bruins goalie without a Higgins mask looked weird, anyway. 

He would just raise his hands at the conclusion of a winning game- majestic... and then he was horrendous in the 2 playoff games.  Yikes.

Sections
Shortcuts