What was the key game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

What was the key game?

In some ways this is an impossible question to answer, but part of the fun of re-living this incredible STanley Cup run is to recall the 16 games needed to make it possible. Given how long the post-season is, it's easy to forget the individual games even in the early rounds that may have been turning points or made the ultimate difference.

Luckily the Hockey Netwok just re-ran Game 4 vs. Montreal in round 1, and what an excellent choice that was.

The Bruins were down 2 games to 1, and trailed late in the game 3-1 before storming back. If they lose that game, I can't see them taking that first series and moving on.

Moments: Andrew Ference (absolutely in my Top 5 of favorite Bruins) scores on a slap shot from just inside the blue line w/the puck on edge to make it 3-2 and give the B's a chance. Price never saw it and wouldn't have been able to stop it anyway. Laser shot.

Bergeron ties the game at 3-3 w/a play that just defines his value as perhaps the Bruins' most valuable all-around player (outside of TT): Intelligence. He's behind the net, sees that Price is down w/his back to him, calculate w.in a second how and what he needs to do, and calmly banks the puck off Price into the net.

Then Mtl. goes ahead 4-3. For any previous Bruins team, it's a death knell--but not this one. Clock keeps ticking. Under 15 mins. Under 10. Under 6, and you figure--it's hopeless...but then one of PC's character guy/trades (Chris Kelly) comes thru by planting himself in front of the net and refusing to move until he pokes the puck in by price. When you see the replay you notice how ficused Kelly had to be. The puck was in between legs/skates/lying just in front of Price who in another half second would have seen it and punced on it. But Kelly pounced first.

OT--former Canadian Michael Ryder scores his 2nd goal of teh game, and the series is tied at 2. And that made Game 7 and Horton in OT possible.

It's even more amazing that the B';s pulled off this comeback on the road in their traditional house of horrors (well, at least the annxed house of horrors--Forum to Bell Ctr.)

Game 4 to me is they key...and of course, that's totally debatble...you could argue every game of the Flyers series was as important due to exorcising the demons, or Game 7 vs. Tampa--the PERFECT game.

It's just wonderful to look back on all this. To me, Game 4 v. Mtl was the key game. Love to hear yours.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: What was the key game?

Agree 100% with the Ference goal, and the subsequent salute, being the moment.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Game 7 vs Tampa, you said it, the perfect game. Man i wish i had taped it. I could watch it again and again. I did tape the cup clinching game , i guess that will have to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That was it... that was the moment the season could have gone either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Is there a stanly cup dvd out yet for the bruins playoffs/season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: What was the key game?:
    [QUOTE]Is there a stanly cup dvd out yet for the bruins playoffs/season?
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS[/QUOTE]

You can order it on NHL.COM but I'm not sure when it will ship.  Most of my purchases are on backorder. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Game 4 was huge, but Game 7 showed us this team was different.  After Subban tied it with 2 minutes left I thought the momentum may swing in favor of the Scabs in OT.  But as we now know, the more dire the situatuon, the better this team responded.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

There were so many, but yeah, games 3 and 4 against Montreal changed everything.  The B's went to the brink of disaster, came out swinging, and fought their way back.

After that, nothing phased them again.  They looked poised under pressure from that point on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Scoreless game, with the series tied 2-2, Ryder makes the save of the season with Thomas out of position to keep the B's in it and ultimately take the series lead. I'd give game 5 the nod over game 4. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]Game 7 vs Tampa, you said it, the perfect game. Man i wish i had taped it. I could watch it again and again. I did tape the cup clinching game , i guess that will have to do.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Hey..There is a site where you can go get what ever game you want and download it...I will try to get the name of the site,,,my Bruin buddy has all the games taped from there....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the key game? : Hey..There is a site where you can go get what ever game you want and download it...I will try to get the name of the site,,,my Bruin buddy has all the games taped from there....
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]
    That would be fantastic ! To have it for my archives to watch on a rainy day would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Scoreless game, with the series tied 2-2, Ryder makes the save of the season with Thomas out of position to keep the B's in it and ultimately take the series lead. I'd give game 5 the nod over game 4. 
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Da*n, that's a good point.

That was "the save" before Thomas made THE SAVE in the Tampa series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the key game? : Da*n, that's a good point. That was "the save" before Thomas made THE SAVE in the Tampa series.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

...and then Chara made THE SAVE.    (just having fun now)
    Ryder's was clutch and classic.  Deserves the TSN Turning point consideration.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In my opinion Game 4 is one of the most important games of a series, especially if you are down 2-1....

Therefore I fully agree with Game #4 against Montreal, especially since we were down 3-1 and 4-3 in that game.

Second choice would be game #4 against Vancouver.  We totally needed game 4 to tie the series and i was a little worried about a let-down after scoring 8 goals in game 3.  The Bruins did not disappoint.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Game 6 when Marchand punched Sedin six times.
    When this failed to get a response from ANYONE on the ice or on the Nucker bench I knew Vancouver had given up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Game 2 of the Tampa series was it for me already lost game 1 and didn't have Bergeron for that game. No way does Boston come back on the Lightning like they did against Montreal if they don't eek it out.

Tyler Seguin's coming out party 2 goals, 2 assists and had Boston buzzing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Everyone talks about "The Save" on Downie.  But I remember a save Timmy made on Gionta on a two-on-one where he dove to his left to stop the puck.  I recall it being HUGE at the time but it escapes me as to which game that was.  Was that in OT in Game 7 vs MTL before Horton scored?  If so, that obviously ends the season for sure if Timmy doesn't come up big there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Game 6 when Marchand punched Sedin six times. When this failed to get a response from ANYONE on the ice or on the Nucker bench I knew Vancouver had given up.

Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]
    Hanrahan, I agree completely. After seeing Van fail to respond, I finally started to entertain the idea that Boston really was going to win the Cup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone talks about "The Save" on Downie.  But I remember a save Timmy made on Gionta on a two-on-one where he dove to his left to stop the puck.  I recall it being HUGE at the time but it escapes me as to which game that was.  Was that in OT in Game 7 vs MTL before Horton scored?  If so, that obviously ends the season for sure if Timmy doesn't come up big there.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

Absolutely remember the exact save you're talking about, but also can't recall exactly which game (this is what's going to be so fun in the off-season--bringing back those myriad moments that all taken together produced this amazing championship--and without which, it could not have happened.)

Off the top of my head I'm thinking that's Game 5 that TT made that stop on Gionta, but it could easily have been Game 7--my middle age memory fails me.

Anyone? Bueller?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'll go with game 4 after the Habs totally dominate period 1 and TT keeps it at 2-0.  At the time betweem 1st and 2nd didn't look like much and had little meaning . Then came the turnaround and OT winner. 
    Didn't Thomas make that amazing save in the OT off of Gionta ?
    That was a sign .
    For me that iced thhe series. I knew then it would go 6 or 7 and Bruins having the advantage if it were a game7.
    Game 7 was not what I expected,  an OT game. Anybody's game. 
    That's when Seidenberg almost put the puck in his own net off of his skates.
    If that were back in the days and off of Wesley it would have gone in . Not that he would have been to blame but just bad luck.

p.s. don't forget the save Chara did in game 7 also playing goalie.  Thta was more significant than Ryder's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I'll go with game 4 after the Habs totally dominate period 1 and TT keeps it at 2-0.  At the time betweem 1st and 2nd didn't look like much and had little meaning . Then came the turnaround and OT winner.  Didn't Thomas make that amazing save in the OT off of Gionta ? That was a sign . For me that iced thhe series. I knew then it would go 6 or 7 and Bruins having the advantage if it were a game7. Game 7 was not what I expected,  an OT game. Anybody's game.  That's when Seidenberg almost put the puck in his own net off of his skates. If that were back in the days and off of Wesley it would have gone in . Not that he would have been to blame but just bad luck. p.s. don't forget the save Chara did in game 7 also playing goalie.  Thta was more significant than Ryder's.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

It also got Big Z out of the potential dog house since it was his giveaway that led to the chance.  I'd give Ryder the edge on style points, though...he really looked like a goalie making that glove save--and it WAS a beauty!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Game 3 Round 1 ....Mtl ahead 2-1 in the series and leading 3-1 in the 3rd ...B's scored 2 but Mtl came back with a 4th goal late in the 3rd ..Chris Kelly SCORES ! ! ! ...and in OT ..NATHAN HORTON scored the winning goal ...that was the key moment in the series ...
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone talks about "The Save" on Downie.  But I remember a save Timmy made on Gionta on a two-on-one where he dove to his left to stop the puck.  I recall it being HUGE at the time but it escapes me as to which game that was.  Was that in OT in Game 7 vs MTL before Horton scored?  If so, that obviously ends the season for sure if Timmy doesn't come up big there.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

That was definitely game 5 that Thomas made the huge save on Gionta.

I say the key game was game 3 in Montreal.  Down 2-0 in the series, they came out and got a quick goal from Krejci and eventually went up 3-0, before hanging on and winning 4-2 with an empty netter.  That game gave the Bruins the confidence to win that series.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

[QUOTE]Game 3 Round 1 ....Mtl ahead 2-1 in the series and leading 3-1 in the 3rd ...B's scored 2 but Mtl came back with a 4th goal late in the 3rd ..Chris Kelly SCORES ! ! ! ...and in OT ..NATHAN HORTON scored the winning goal ...that was the key moment in the series ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

I think you are talking about game 4 with your description of the game.  That was also a key game, however, it was Ryder that got the winner in that one, not Horton.  Nevertheless, it was gutcheck time and the Bruins came back three times that game and won in a hostile environment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What was the key game? : I think you are talking about game 4 with your description of the game.  That was also a key game, however, it was Ryder that got the winner in that one, not Horton.  Nevertheless, it was gutcheck time and the Bruins came back three times that game and won in a hostile environment.
    Posted by soxpeat[/QUOTE]
    Sorry ...you're right I meant game 4