What will Chiarelli do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: What will Chiarelli do?

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If people want a New Jersey d-man,then why not Bryce Salvador,6'3",215 lbs,left hand shot,1 yr left on $3.2 mil deal. Not big on the offensive side ,but the B's have that already.

[/QUOTE]

Hes their team captain.  If i could pick id love to have him.  He would cost a lot.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If people want a New Jersey d-man,then why not Bryce Salvador,6'3",215 lbs,left hand shot,1 yr left on $3.2 mil deal. Not big on the offensive side ,but the B's have that already.

[/QUOTE]

Hes their team captain.  If i could pick id love to have him.  He would cost a lot.  

[/QUOTE]

He's 38 yrs old though and Lou might let him go because as you say New Jersey should start their rebuild and get younger. New Jersey likely wants to name a younger captain anyway. Just a thought .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's 38 yrs old though and Lou might let him go because as you say New Jersey should start their rebuild and get younger. New Jersey likely wants to name a younger captain anyway. Just a thought .

[/QUOTE]

I would like him.  He was awesome in their cup run.   Decent cap hit next year.   Kinda a andrew ference type.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What's the cost going to be if Chiarelli doesn't bring someone in ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's the cost going to be if Chiarelli doesn't bring someone in ?

[/QUOTE]

There will be a lot of haranguing from the armchair G.M's on this site,you can count on that! ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:[QUOTE] I have never known Lou Lamoriello Pres\GM to rebuild. A 5 team jump with a 3 pt spread is still very doable at this stage of the season. They don’t need Marty anymore. If the deal is mutual he will most likely go. Maybe jagr maybe not. Lou doesn’t give up he is still in it. NJ and BB are not a good trade matchup. [/QUOTE]

I agree Lou Lam stays in the fight, he will not jump ship.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Trade dead line 7 days 4hrs 20min

Dreger mentioned Bruins had interest in Philadelphia's Andrej Meszaros

TSN reports:      Jets In Holding Pattern?

Ken Wiebe of The Winnipeg Sun writes that the Jets still have to decide what they will do at the trade deadline - buy, sell or stand pat. If they become sellers, Wiebe suggests that soon-to-be free agents like Al Montoya, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi and Mark Stuart could be shopped.

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/02/25/5-deals-the-boston-bruins-must-consider-at-the-nhl-trade-deadline/?utm_source=RantSports&utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NHLBoston%20BruinsGrid

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Chiarelli: 'Not a lot of activity' in market

February, 26, 2014

Feb 26

3:11

PM ET

By ESPNBoston.com

With about a week before the NHL trade deadline, Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said he is looking to add a defenseman but has found the market so far to be slow.

Bottom of Form

“There’s just not a lot of activity,” Chiarelli said Wednesday morning in an interview on Boston sports radio station 98.5 The Sports Hub. “A seller’s market would suggest short supply, and I guess that’s the case. There’s a lot of teams in the mix. A lot of teams are at the cap that are contending that don’t want to give up players on their team but would have to in order to get a player. So there are a lot of forces that are really pushing against the market opening up.”

Defenseman Dennis Seidenberg’s season-ending injury has left an otherwise-deep Bruins team with a need at an important spot. Would Chiarelli trade a draft pick or prospect for a top-four defenseman? He told 98.5 The Sports Hub he’d “look at anything,” but didn’t anticipate a big deal.

“We’re trying to improve our team,” Chiarelli said. “The market is very tight. I would anticipate doing something. I’m not looking for a blockbuster. That type of deal might be hard to do this year and even adding, with the number of teams that are still in it, may be hard. But we’re going to try our best.”

While he said he’s been “focusing on” adding a veteran defenseman, he didn’t rule out adding in a different area.

“It doesn’t necessarily have to be a veteran defenseman, a veteran, or a defenseman,” he said. “But that’s something I’ve been focusing on.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-get-back-stanley-cup-final-trade-deadline-anti-love-story/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Ok You guys looking for something out of the box but may be available.
    Would Chia go for Mark Giordano 2Y remaining @4M per  Give up say our 2014 1st and Bartowski. May even have to give up another prospect as well
    It would have to take something like that for a good D with term. Next season we would have to make room by moving Macquaid, Bartowski would be due his raise. That would make up for 75% or more of Giordano caphit and leave us room for upfront.

Calgary Mark Giordano #5 LHD | 6'0", 200 lbs. Age 30 on Pace for: 44pts TOI 25:22 S:168 PTSPG .69
    2013 Scouting Report:
    Assets:     Skates well, moves the puck and possesses good offensive ability. Always works hard to improve his all-around game. Can be a factor on the power play. Underrated in physical contests, he's developing into a top-notch team leader thanks to his tenacious, warrior style of play. Is an excellent shot-blocker.
    Flaws:     While he's very strong, he does not possess ideal National Hockey League size for a blueliner, so he can at times struggle against bigger forwards in his own end. Needs to continue shooting the puck more in order to maximize his offensive potential.
    Career Potential:     Solid team leader and all-round defenseman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok You guys looking for something out of the box but may be available.
    Would Chia go for Mark Giordano 2Y remaining @4M per  Give up say our 2014 1st and Bartowski. May even have to give up another prospect as well
    It would have to take something like that for a good D with term. Next season we would have to make room by moving Macquaid, Bartowski would be due his raise. That would make up for 75% or more of Giordano caphit and leave us room for upfront.

Calgary Mark Giordano #5 LHD | 6'0", 200 lbs. Age 30 on Pace for: 44pts TOI 25:22 S:168 PTSPG .69
    2013 Scouting Report:
    Assets:     Skates well, moves the puck and possesses good offensive ability. Always works hard to improve his all-around game. Can be a factor on the power play. Underrated in physical contests, he's developing into a top-notch team leader thanks to his tenacious, warrior style of play. Is an excellent shot-blocker.
    Flaws:     While he's very strong, he does not possess ideal National Hockey League size for a blueliner, so he can at times struggle against bigger forwards in his own end. Needs to continue shooting the puck more in order to maximize his offensive potential.
    Career Potential:     Solid team leader and all-round defenseman.

[/QUOTE]

I think he would cost more then any dman that may be available on the market.   Hes awesome.  Remember douglas murray cost two 2nd rounders i believe.   Calgarys best player, captain and most sought after position likely costs more then that.   Add that MG has a great contract and it would take a lot.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

These are all great players and whatnot, but why would these other teams want to get rid of quality players when they are in the hunt?

Winnipeg is on the bubble, so I can't see them getting rid of Stuart. 

Rangers need all the help they can get, and might have to hold on to Girardi to stay in it. You'd need to trade like talent, and like salary, so are you any further ahead? 

Same with Columbus. 

Plus Cap considerations, so are any of these a reality? Let's face it, the Bruins are up against the Cap limit. 

What is the motivation for the other team, and do the Bruins have those type of players to exchange for these proven quality players. 

It all sounds good, but so many pieces to the puzzle to consider. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These are all great players and whatnot, but why would these other teams want to get rid of quality players when they are in the hunt?

Rangers need all the help they can get, and might have to hold on to Girardi to stay in it. You'd need to trade like talent, and like salary, so are you any further ahead? 

Same with Columbus. 

Plus Cap considerations, so are any of these a reality? Let's face it, the Bruins are up against the Cap limit. 

What is the motivation for the other team, and do the Bruins have those type of players to exchange for these proven quality players. 

[/QUOTE]

I think after the weekend we will know more.  I agree that why would they?  Simple reason is supply and demand.  If teams get in panic mode they will overpay.  A mark stuart isnt an elite guy.  I think if the jets can trade a guy like him and add a 2nd pick for example they might do it.  

i think there will be lots of movement.  Most of it will be low end depth trades.  I think more stars will move now that stlouis and kesler want out.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Same with Columbus. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, UFA's are really the only players that will be moved this time of year with some exceptions maybe. Teams move them to save $ for end of season or they deem themselves out of the race and let them go for best value they can recieve. Players with term are very hard to move especially this time of year. Players like Tallinder will most likely move because he is UFA, they are out of it and will not be signed with team next year. Players Like UFA Phillips, Stuart could move but the team still feel they are in the hunt and most likely wont move.  Players like Giordano who plays for Calgary, they are truely in rebuild mode and most likley would move anyone for good young prospects and picks. But these type of players seldom move becuse the price will be so high.

Chiarelli has 4M in cap space and good prospects. Thats more than most elete teams have. He can make something happen if the other side is willing. Just trying to see if anyone can come up with real oppurtunities the Bruins could do and would do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, UFA's are really the only players that will be moved this time of year with some exceptions maybe. Teams move them to save $ for end of season or they deem themselves out of the race and let them go for best value they can recieve. Players with term are very hard to move especially this time of year. 

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true. Looking over last year's deadline and there were an awful lot of players moved who were not UFAs at season's end:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=663625

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

Until last might, I was pretty comfortable with the B's defense - even absent Sieds.  And maybe last night was just an issue of being rusty after the break, but 5 of the 6 D made plays (or failed to) that NHL defensemen have to make - only Hamilton didn't make a major mistake, but he didn't do much positive, either.

Assuming the price wasn't too steep, I could live with a "depth" guy as insurance for Bart not being able to hanled the second pairing left side.  But if they are going to give up anything of value, I'd much prefer to see them go for Giordano, even if it means giving up a fair amount.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

http://causewaycrowd.com/2014/02/27/solutions-bruins-defensive-woes/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Seids's presence is felt during the playoffs.  The B's can close out the regular season on a solid run of D-play, but the playoff grind is a different story.  B's have enough depth at offensive-mined blue liners; it's the physical, stay-at-home guy they need. 

I really like the Salvador suggestion.  Of course, Stuart....but price tag/2 teams still in the playoff picture. (but, then again, does anyone really think the NJD or WPG are going to make deep playoff runs if they earn a seed?)  

No, it ain't easy this year to make a deal...argh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I dont like rentals , i would rather see a Mcdonald and sign him to an exrension, i know it leaves it wide open for who do you deal away, seids is back next year so its a toss up between bart, mcquaid or boychuk, may be krug. lets face it charas the only one who is not avaialable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Get Andrew MacDonald and Thomas Vanek and the chances of winning another cup go from high to extreme............

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

One of the rumors is Chiarelli has been asking about MacDonald but doesn't want to give up the Bs 2014 #1 pick. Really ?!

Well yah there must be another Colborne or Caron out there waiting to be grabbed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

One of the rumors is Chiarelli has been asking about MacDonald but doesn't want to give up the Bs 2014 #1 pick. Really ?!

Well yah there must be another Colborne or Caron out there waiting to be grabbed.

[/QUOTE]

agree with PC on this one....  alot of people never had even heard of MacDonald before these last few weeks....  still, someone will pay that and maybe even more for a guy the Isles don't find worth keeping....

a more established guy like Girardi would merit giving up a first rounder though....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I'll bet it ends up being Chris Phillips after all,Ottawa will let him go for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. PC won't be getting Girardi,Volchenkov,MacDonald etc,asking price will be too rich for the B's.None of these guys are Kaberle types anyway! ;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE] One of the rumors is Chiarelli has been asking about MacDonald but doesn't want to give up the Bs 2014 #1 pick. Really ?!

Well yah there must be another Colborne or Caron out there waiting to be grabbed.[/QUOTE]

agree with PC on this one....  alot of people never had even heard of MacDonald before these last few weeks....  still, someone will pay that and maybe even more for a guy the Isles don't find worth keeping....

a more established guy like Girardi would merit giving up a first rounder though....[/QUOTE]

MacDonald isn't my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but more than a few hockey pundits have said Chiarelli has been inquiring about him the most. The point was paying the price for a deep run in the playoffs is more important than keeping a pick that has had a history of not panning out for PC.

Word is Girardi is about to sign an extension any day now. That could be wrong but it is looking like he will stay in New York.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

MacDonald isn't my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but more than a few hockey pundits have said Chiarelli has been inquiring about him the most. 

[/QUOTE]

Your man Tallinder could be the guy,supposedly PC at the Sabre/Canes matchup before the B's game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bartkowski is 25 (26 in June) and hasn't been able to secure a top-4 spot.  Projects more as a bottom-pair defenseman.  Very comfortable if he is moved.

Team needs a LH top-4 d-man.  Pending UFA would seem to work well with Seidenberg back next season.  From CapGeek, sorted by TOI (>19 minutes/game).  Wonder if Timonen could be in play.  Flyers are a bubble playoff team and seems like Holmgren would trade his mother if you caught him on the right day.  Also, Ron Hainsey averaging 21 minutes of TOI with Carolina.

Name Pst Age Team GP G A P PIM +/- TOI MacDonald, Andrew »   D 27 NYI 60 4 20 24 34 -16 25.6 Markov, Andrei »   D 35 MTL 60 5 27 32 26 8 25.1 Girardi, Dan »   D 29 NYR 59 4 13 17 14 2 22.7 Zidlicky, Marek »   D 37 NJD 58 8 21 29 48 2 21.6 Boyle, Dan »   D 37 SJS 52 8 14 22 20 -8 21.4 Orpik, Brooks »   D 33 PIT 50 1 11 12 42 4 21.2 Gilbert, Tom »   D 31 FLA 58 3 22 25 18 -5 21.2 Hainsey, Ron »   D 32 CAR 58 4 8 12 14 -11 21.2 Timonen, Kimmo »   D 38 PHI 57 2 17 19 28 0 20.7 Quincey, Kyle »   D 28 DET 59 3 6 9 66 -8 20.6 Mitchell, Willie »   D 36 LAK 55 1 4 5 50 6 20.6 Niskanen, Matt »   D 27 PIT 58 7 27 34 41 29 20.4 Benoit, Andre »   D 30 COL 58 3 18 21 14 -2 20.3 Morris, Derek »   D 35 PHX 45 5 12 17 35 8 20.1 Butler, Chris »   D 27 CGY 58 2 8 10 29 -16 20 Robidas, Stephane »   D 36 DAL 24 4 1 5 12 7 19.9 Phillips, Chris »   D 35 OTT 49 1 12 13 20 -6 19.9 Stralman, Anton »   D 27 NYR 58 1 6 7 18 3 19.7 Sulzer, Alexander »   D 29 BUF 21 0 2 2 6 -1 19.3 Tallinder, Henrik »   D 35 BUF 45 2 5 7 24 -15 19.1 Diaz, Raphael »   D 28 VAN 50 1 12 13 12 -6 19

Sections
Shortcuts