What will Krug's next contract be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

What will Krug's next contract be?

In an effort to calm the nerves during the work day before the series kicks off tonight, I was thinking about a non-game related topic - Torey's impending restricted free agency. He has had a great offensive season, made some strides on the defensive end, and has transformed the team's power play. I'd like to see him back in B&G, but PMDs can get pricey. Fortunately the Bs have first right of refusal, but someone out there could pay him more than the Bs are willing. 

What would you give him?

A two-year "prove it before you get the big bucks" deal around $2-3M?

A long term contract; 4-5 years and $3.5-5M?

Id prefer option A, but I think someone else could easily offer more despite the rarity of offer sheets. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: What will Krug's next contract be?

I think it's a bridge deal.  A reminder that the team as a whole had a great year, that he's a 5/6 who gets a ton of PP time but who they can't play against the top lines.

I think your scales are low, though.  Bridge deal, I can see being in the range of Marchand's bridge deal - $2.75M-$3M - but the conversation is probably at least $2.5M and up to $3.5M or even $4M.  The long term option probably starts at $4.5M and goes up from there, and that's the biggest reason why I'd say no, they won't go there.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Agreed book,

I think what makes Krug's contract strange is that he's up for a new one after just 82 regular season games and that he is 23. It makes for a tough comparison. Based on age and his first full season's stats I'd look to bridge Michael Del Zotto ($2.9 million) and Alex Pietrangelo ($5.0 million). But even these aren't great comparables due to longevity and Krug's role. Del Zotto is close to Krug in his TOI with 16+ mpg but Pietrangelo is a #1 defenseman at 25+mpg - compared to Krug's 17:31 mpg. I see even a short-term deal around $3.5 million is where it will wind up.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Taking into Krug's sparkling offensive stats, solid D, relatively low icetime, undrafted status, PC's contract history, the value of good D, Krug's skill in bargaining the entry level contract, the rising cap and the B's success, I say:

2-year, $3.5 million per year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Yeah I would say somewhere in the range of the Marchand bridge would be good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

The also have Reilly Smith to deal with. Then a few others such as Caron (probably gone?) and Florek. Florek won't cost much and I hope they hang onto him. He's probably an improvement over Caron, or at least may have more upside.

I was thinking they might try to tie up Krug with a long-term deal so his next contract would avoid the 2015-16 season which is the UFA season for Krejci, Campbell, Paille, Soderberg, Botchuk and McQuaid and the following season which is the UFA season for Lucic, Loui, Kelly and Kevan Miller (Kelly's contract, if they sign him won't be a killer nor will Miller's).So something like a 3 or 4 year deal. The B's may want to stagger their next round of UFAs to whatever degree they can. Too many in one season, depending on the value of the players in question, can lead to cap problems.

One of the reasons for a bridge deal could be Iginla. The cheaper short-term deal for Krug would leave more room to sign Iginla which I believe they want tot do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kelly and Thornton will have to go then if Chiarelli is going to sign Iginla as well. He'll need money leftover just in case he need to make a trade at next years deadline. If PC decides to keep Kelly then he has Savard's $4M LTIR. That $8M, in projected cap space, is going to get used up quickly with 2014 incentives kicking into 2015.

Bruins need about $1.2M for Svedberg. 

"Don't rush into Cinco...start with Dos!"