What will PC do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Re: What will PC do?

Question: What will PC do?

Answer: Nothing.

There is nothing to do but ride it out and hope the rest of the D corp can pick up their game.......

By the way, any of you hoping PC will trade for Suter are in wishland. PC will not go for a big star (and expensive) D-man. The B's will make the playoffs, Chara will likely be back long before then and Hamilton will be in the lineup next year and be groomed as Chara's heir apparent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nobody is trading a good d-man right now. See how long he is out first, if he is out for an extended period then address it. Bouwmeester will be available at the deadline but his contract is too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: What will PC do?:
    [QUOTE]I have no desire to get Suter.  To me, he is to Weber what Seidenberg is to Chara. If Chara is out, Suter does not replace him. If Chara comes back, we don't need him. Since the cost would be high I don't want that deal. If you are going to be giving up a lot, you better get someone who can actually give you a Chara kind of game, like Weber himself. Otherwise, maybe pick up a solid vet if Chara will be out a long time, but nothing expensive. You can't replace Zdeno, so there is no point in trying.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

You can't replace Z.  But you very much underate how good and young Suter is.  I put him in the top 10.  I may rate him high but he is a stud.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If you're honestly looking for defensive help, that hopefully won't break the bank or screwup team chemistry, then look at Rob Scuderi if LA continues to flounder. Won't get us points on the board really, but for a solid shutdown guy, he'd be a good addition, and a decent stop-gap for Chara. He's a $3.4 cap hit, with another year in his contract.

Though I don't think we need it right now - Chara should be back soon enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : You can't replace Z.  But you very much underate how good and young Suter is.  I put him in the top 10.  I may rate him high but he is a stud.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

You put Ryan Suter on a team with more offensive weapons and his numbers would soar across the board. Thats how many people judge d-men and in this case they are wrong. I agree top 10, be in top 5 in a year or two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's silly, Kel.  Suter's already 8th in scoring from the blueline, five points behind Karlson and 1 behind Weber.  Are you suggesting that if he played in Boston, Vancouver or Philly, Suter would score more?  Can you give me some examples of when that's worked out?  There are lots of examples of players moving into new situations and playing better (Jason Allison, Dmitri Kristich, Mike Knuble) but those are frequently examples of guys going to teams that have less talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : I can't see them sacrificing Hall, RNH or Eberle to trade for a player who they can bid on come July 1 ( and IMO won't ). It would really make no sense for them as they are a team that is building through the draft and then to trade one of them for a rental just to get a shot at making the playoffs. I don't see that happening with any of those 3 players who should be part of their core down the road.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Chowda, I have to disgree with you.

Having all three is fine and dandy while rebuilding, but for them to advance into contention they will have to sacrifice one of them.

Otherwise, you can't make a sandwich with three slices of bread and no meat.

You can make a sandwich if you deal one slice of bread for some meat. And someone is always looking for bread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]That's silly, Kel.  Suter's already 8th in scoring from the blueline, five points behind Karlson and 1 behind Weber.  Are you suggesting that if he played in Boston, Vancouver or Philly, Suter would score more?  Can you give me some examples of when that's worked out?  There are lots of examples of players moving into new situations and playing better (Jason Allison, Dmitri Kristich, Mike Knuble) but those are frequently examples of guys going to teams that have less talent.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Scott Niedermayer would be a close to what you're looking for. His 3 best seasons came after escaping NJ.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I still say, if this ends up being a longterm thing, Scuderi is the best option - won't have to touch the core, and you get one of the most dependable and affordable stay at home D in the league. He's no Chara, but an affordable stop-gap, and a realistic get if LA continues to fall.

We're not getting Suter, and Bogo is staying in the Peg, especially with Enstrom hurt. So may as well give up those pipedreams now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Suter is good, and he might get a few more assists elsewhere; maybe not, you never know. My biggest concern is that I think Shea Weber makes him look even better than he is. I'm always nervous about someone who plays with someone great. I find it hard to judge just how good they are. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't watched all that much of Suter. I usually turn Nashville off, they seem so boring. Weber and Suter looked outstanding in the playoffs last year against Vancouver, but so did Chara and Seidenberg...and we know that only Chara is a true superstar. I would be nervous giving Suter big money as a FA, and I certainly wouldn't give up a lot talent to bring in the pending UFA in a trade. Weber on the other hand, he's worth the big bucks. One lucky team is going to pick up a cornerstone in a little over a year if Nashville can't sign him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He would be a fine addition to any team. He's also a lefty, which the Bruins could use.

[QUOTE]I still say, if this ends up being a longterm thing, Scuderi is the best option - won't have to touch the core, and you get one of the most dependable and affordable stay at home D in the league. He's no Chara, but an affordable stop-gap, and a realistic get if LA continues to fall. We're not getting Suter, and Bogo is staying in the Peg, especially with Enstrom hurt. So may as well give up those pipedreams now.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If he's out for a long time sean O'Donnell has been a healthy scratch, could be a cheap fill in stop gap to help solidify things.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

For the Bruins, any trading if any will happen if the team sucks at the time of the trading deadline. Unless too many injuries happen.  I'm looking forward to seeing Kampfer play again. He's no Chara, but it will be nice to see his speed again.

FYI. From what I've read in the Edmonton papers, the Wings are keeping an eye on Hemsky. They have cap space and something to trade with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

And to think...only a few days ago and we could have had Kaberle!!!!  Hahahahahaha

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

True, dez, but I don't think you could say that's because he went to play with better players.  His last year in NJ, he was the third leading scorer behind Elias and Gomez (back when Gomez played hockey).  First year in Anaheim, he was the third leading scorer behind Selanne and MacDonald.  I would suggest the up-tick had more to do with getting away from the Devils' system to a system where he could carry the puck more.

Using Niedermeyer as an example, though - look at the Devils' roster his best year - 57 points in 97-98.  Their leading scorer was Bobby Holik with 65.  Next was Niedermeyer.  They had a bunch of fading stars in Gilmour, Andreychuk, Steve Thomas; and a bunch of young guys in Elias, Morrison, and Arnott who weren't yet fully fledged NHLers (well, Arnott more or less).  In 00-01, he had what was his third best season in terms of points/game, but would only have been 10th on the team in scoring at 50 points (he had 35 in 57 games). Fits my point about a guy getting better numbers with a weakerr offensive roster.

Basically, if this is the best example, I wouldn't be calling it a general principle that guys get more points playing with better players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...especially if there are many, many counter-exmples like Rob Blake who went from a decent Kings team with Palffy and Robitaille to a juggernaut Avs team and saw his points stay in basically the same range.  Or...Kaberle.  Even Joe Corvo - guy has played for LA, Ottawa, Washington, Carolina and now the Bruins.  He's been basically a 40 point player in every situation - 40 with the Kings in 2005-06, 37 with the Senators in 06-07, 48 split between Ottawa and Carolina (a mid-season boost anomaly), 38 in Carolina in 08-09, a lost season btw. Carolina and Washington in 09-10, then 40 again with Carolina last year.  He's "on pace" for 49 with Boston thanks to the 2 goal game against Columbus.  Before that, he'd have been on pace for 30 points.  So let's say that 2 goal game averages out, split the difference...yep, 40 points.

None of this is to diminish Suter, just to say that the argument "X guy will blow up on Y team!" is usually based on nothing but false assumptions about the historical patterns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Richards LA injured, Gonchar Ott injured  , Giroux Philly injured and the habs just got kabby, with Chara out it should even things out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Actually, I think this has less to do with Niedermayer playing for a different team, and more to do with a league-wide shift to a more offensive game post-lockout. in the 5 years prior to the lockout the league average goals was about 5.25. In the 5 years post lockout the league average was about 5.85. Scott's best season pre-lockout was 97-98 when he scored 57pts in 81 games. League average goals was 5.28. His best season post-lockout was 06-07 with 69pts in 79gms. League goals: 5.89.  5.89/5.28 = 1.11.  57 X 1.11 = 63.  I think playing in Anaheim benefited Niedermayer (Pronger took on most of the shut-down duties allowing Scott to play an offensive role) but only slightly. If you look at his career stats you can also see that as the league trended back downward in offence, Niedermayer was also trending back downward with the Ducks.  If the league was more open during his days in NJ, he would have scored more there as well. I can think of many examples of players who were not given a chance with one team, were traded, and broke out as a star with their new team.  I can't, however, think of a single example of a player who was already a star, changed to a better team, and became a significantly higher scorer.  I can think of several who scored less when they were with better talent because they were no longer the go-to guy.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : Scott Niedermayer would be a close to what you're looking for. His 3 best seasons came after escaping NJ.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Bring back Mark Stuart!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : Chowda, I have to disgree with you. Having all three is fine and dandy while rebuilding, but for them to advance into contention they will have to sacrifice one of them. Otherwise, you can't make a sandwich with three slices of bread and no meat. You can make a sandwich if you deal one slice of bread for some meat. And someone is always looking for bread.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Teams can be built both ways . Through the draft and trading . In ths case it makes no sense for the Oilers to trade for a player who come July 1 can pick and choose where ever he wants to go . Giving up an asset like RNH, Hall or Eberle for a few months of Suter for a chance to make the playoffs this year ? You won't see the Oilers do it unless they could sign Suter immediately. Any indication that Suter would be willing to give up his UFA rights and sign to go to Edmonton ? Players recently have been more apt to ask out of Edmonton then wanting to go there.

btw I always start with what meat I want first then build around it with the bread I want when making a sandwich. I think the Oilers are thinking RNH, Hall and Eberle are their meat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]Bring back Mark Stuart!!!!
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

I wish we could -- always like him.  Offensively useless, but a rock on D, which is what we need without Chara back there

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : I wish we could -- always like him.  Offensively useless, but a rock on D, which is what we need without Chara back there
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

I would love to see Stuart back. He is a big guy. I loved what he did to Avery a few years back. That youtube video brings a smile to my face every time.

And no offensive upside? I distinctly remember he scored a goal the game or so before he got traded! (I know it was just one but still... lol)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Time to put trade talk away .  On the blog Chara said he's day to day and feeling much better than expected.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Time to put trade talk away .  On the blog Chara said he's day to day and feeling much better than expected.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    this is GREAT news. i hope the team gives us some quality efforts in his absence. it would be nice to let him recouperate, and come back when he's 100%, and not have to rush him back to stop a slide. everyone has to pick up their game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What will PC do? : I would love to see Stuart back. He is a big guy. I loved what he did to Avery a few years back. That youtube video brings a smile to my face every time. And no offensive upside? I distinctly remember he scored a goal the game or so before he got traded! (I know it was just one but still... lol)
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

First Bogo, now Stuart. both would be solid in black and gold, and both are going absolutely nowehere. no way the Jets let either of those guys go. The team doesn't have a lot going for it, but that pair gives them a solid defensive presnce, especially with Enstrom out and Buff looking like he's returning to his forward roots. The Bruins would trade Seids and Ferrence before the Jets traded Bogo and Stuart.

If you really want an ex-Bruin back, you can have Wheeler :p