What would be proper punishment for illegal hits to heads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Re: What would be proper punishment for illegal hits to heads

Punishment would be to have to play for the Maple Leafs!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoubleMinor. Show DoubleMinor's posts

I agree that length of suspensions should be related to the severity of an injured player; though I don't think necessarily the same length as the victim, especially for first time offenders.  Repeat offenders, and Matt Cooke is about the worst of them, should be ban from the league.  There should be penalties to coaches and organizations as well for not policing their own players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

DEATH

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to What would be proper punishment for illegal hits to heads:
    [QUOTE]Seems to be a lot of dialog on sports talk lately about what the proper punishment should be to players dishing out an illegal shot to another players head. 10 games, 20 etc.. but IMHO.. I think that any player that is guilty of ( and that too is subjective).. an illegal shot to another players head should be forced to spend the same amount of time not playing as the player he hit and then some additional penalty added to the end of that.... so... to use the Matt Cooke on Savard hit from last year as an example.... If the league deemed that hit illegal then Cooke would have to sit out the same time as Savard and maybe 10 more games beyond that.. The point being is to desuade those kinds of headshots and so on.. I'd interested in hearing others opinions too..
    Posted by SupportLocal81[/QUOTE]
    Another grey area is the player who was hit.Would it be fair if someone who got Lindros with a borderline hit(giving him his 8th concussion) was suspended for the same amount of time(or longer) than someone who  made a malicious headshot on a vulnerable player that didn't lead to significant injury?The intent vs. the result should also come into play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Local,
    they were talking about this last night, and you know what still gets me..

They do not need to change the rules, they need to fire campbell..

His explaination that he could not suspend cooke was purely political, and BS, he could not suspend cooke for intent to injure because "he hadn't broken any infractions, there was no rule about hits to the head, there was no elbow, etc,etc."

First off, no elbow was debatable, at best.. Secondly intent to injure is what would be considered an "umbrella" an could cover any "intent" to the descreation of the disciplinarian (is that a word?).. Meaning he could have called him for intent to injury simply from the fact that that hit was meant to hurt savard.. If he had to say elbow savard to be called for an intent to injure, we wouldnt have the Intent rule on the books, we would just have "elbowing"..

I think its crap, I tried to call in cause that interview made me madder then the actual hit.. Campbell is a coward, and made a political move to avoid controversy.. Sure if he suspends cooke for 20 games the NHLPA appeals and with out a direct penalty "the elbow" etc, it may have been reduced, but there was indeed a penalty on the books that allow campbell to punishe cooke..

As far as the proper penalty, it depends on the act, and the player.. Is it intentional, is it a dirty hit.. did the player hit put themselves in that position.. I don't agree with what was being said on that radio that they penalty needs to be so severe that players are thinking about these hits..

We all like big hits and would hate to see them eliminated from the game if a guy has his head down and he gets plastered, awesome, I don't want a player backing off the hit cause he is worried about a suspension..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

Roler - you got this one right man .. the rules are in place to deal with this issue. Its up to the league to really do so and they only need to do that a few times and the message will get through to the players when they get suspended without pay for a lengthy time. you suspend one or 2 players for like 40 games without pay and the rest of the league will pay attention to it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nativescrapper. Show nativescrapper's posts

the punishment for these rats should be some sort penalty [5 min major] but left in the game so the players can hand out the real punishment....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

I'd like to see concussion statistics in the Junior and College leagues where a face shield is mandatory

To me, trying to measure 'intent' is a slippery slope, to legislate one kind of hit over another an impossibilty. Why not mandate one equipment change and let players 'have at it'. The game surely doesn't need more rules that are hard to understand and even harder to police.

Get everyone wearing cages, I say, and, I'm guessing, the number of punishable incidents - be they stick, elbow or otherwise - would be greatly reduced.

Of course, there'd be no fighting...but then, come Playoff time, when the games mean something there's no fighting anyway.

Also, speaking of Playoff time, with cages, there'd also be none of those 'soccer dives' resulting in terrible game-changing penalties at crucial times, because whether incidental or intentional, highsticks wouldn't really matter.

Cage em up (Chara never played better, more fiercely, than when he wore a cage for that three weeks late last saeson) and eliminate a ton of red tape.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

An A$s kicking

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

//an illegal shot to another players head should be forced to spend the same amount of time not playing as the player he hit and then some additional penalty added to the end of that.... // Amen, bro.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Suspension equal to the duration the injured player is out...
    Doc