what would it take

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

what would it take

........to convince TT to play a couple months of hockey. 

Assuming they feel they have a good shot at the playoffs, I'm wondering if Toronto, Philly, and TB aren't already putting a fantasy deal together to get something happenning.

I'm assuming with the Islanders permission, any team can contact Timmay, and once they got him talked into playing, the negotiations would then begin with the Islanders.

Imagine how dangerous these teams would be, with great goaltending, and if they could convince him to play, that may be a fairly cost efficient way to get there. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Re: what would it take

an alternate reality

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

if thomas would be great goaltending. i don't think he would be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Still doubters out there....Unbelievable!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

a trip to the White House.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Toronto, Philly, and Tampa"

Ok i'll go along Garth convinces Timmy. The Islanders need defenseman desperatly, teams walk right in all game long and pulverize Nobakov. This is not good when looking for a trade partner. Prospects aren't goin to cut it on the Island they have plenty.

Tampa is a small market team not looking to add salary and can't afford to let any good defensman go. Philly desperately needs both goaltending and better defenseman even worse than Tampa. Again the Islanders need NHL ready players so with Toronto currently in a playoff spot- Whom would they package to NY ?

I think Garth trades Thomas's rights at or a week before the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

he hasn't been playing hocckey in a long long time. Who knows if he's in shape? who knows if he's been taking shots? who knows if he's even got cell phone service in his bunker to receive the calls in the first place?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

TT will never be the same now ...away from the NHL at 25-26 years old is not bad but at his age and as a goaltender ...lets just hope he plays one more game in the NHL so the Bruins get their 2nd round pick ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Ok i'll go along Garth convinces Timmy. The Islanders need defenseman desperatly, teams walk right in all game long and pulverize Nobakov. This is not good when looking for a trade partner. Prospects aren't goin to cut it on the Island they have plenty.

Tampa is a small market team not looking to add salary and can't afford to let any good defensman go. Philly desperately needs both goaltending and better defenseman even worse than Tampa. Again the Islanders need NHL ready players so with Toronto currently in a playoff spot- Whom would they package to NY ?

I'm not really suggesting Garth talks Thomas into playing.  I'm wondering if the thought of playing for a contender, with only a couple month comittment, would pique TT's interest.  In this case it would kind of work backwards.  The team wanting his playing rights would be the ones schmoozing him.  Anything back to the Islanders would be a bonus, and if Thomas does plan on coming back, he probably won't want to play there.  If this guy really does want that Olympic job, and he does still feel the need to prove something.....being the big man on deadline day would really soothe the ego.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I know, but there has to be a limit to it at some point.  I hate to ever doubt the guy after what he did, but do we know if he's even been on skates?  Is he in shape?  Were his injuries part of the reason he left?  Its hard to believe that he's so great that he can just jump back in the game after a year away from it, in his late-30s, and still be a star.

Most importantly, I think we'd all agree that TT's greatness was less about physical talents and more about having a unique mental approach and total focus in net.  He seemed to outthink shooters and anticipate as well as anyone.  So mental focus would seem to be paramount for him.  Do you think he still has that focus?  Do you think he had it last year with the Bruins?

He would need to get it back both mentally and physically.

I understand the logic in never wanting to question him again.  But everyone falters sometime.  If I had to bet, I'd bet his days as a star goalie are over.  It would just be too unrealistic for me to beleive that he's still better than the other goalies while he hides out in Colorado Springs, away from the game, inching towards 40.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He hasn't played in almost a year, so yes I'm a doubter. I don't doubt his ability, but I do doubt what kind of condition he is currently in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I know, but there has to be a limit to it at some point.  I hate to ever doubt the guy after what he did, but do we know if he's even been on skates?  Is he in shape?  Were his injuries part of the reason he left?  Its hard to believe that he's so great that he can just jump back in the game after a year away from it, in his late-30s, and still be a star.

Most importantly, I think we'd all agree that TT's greatness was less about physical talents and more about having a unique mental approach and total focus in net.  He seemed to outthink shooters and anticipate as well as anyone.  So mental focus would seem to be paramount for him.  Do you think he still has that focus?  Do you think he had it last year with the Bruins?

I understand the logic in never wanting to question him again.  But everyone falters sometime.  If I had to bet, I'd bet his days as a star goalie are over.  It would just be too unrealistic for me to beleive that he's still better than the other goalies while he hides out in Colorado Springs, away from the game, inching towards 40.

OK to clarify a few things. The guy's as flakey & eccentric as it gets, but he's not a total idiot! He said he wants to take a year off & come back & play to try out for the 2014 US squad. Now, the guy knows who his competition is & who he has to better than in order to make this happen. He's not that f'd up to think he can just waltz his way in there. 

He's not that messed up, or arrogant to think that he'll be able to take a whole season off & still be at the top of his game. He maybe hiding in the bush some where, but he's not just chillaxing, sitting by a camp fire & singing Kumbaya. I'm sure he's doing something to stay in shape. Is he stopping pucks somewhere? I have no idea, but I'm sure he's doing something . 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The only way I can see a team being able to make this happen is to commit to more than the next couple of months.  As much as some people rip him for breaking his commitment to the Bruins, I think he sees a difference between taking a year off and going back on this plan to take a year off.  I think he'll do what he said he's going to do. If playing for a contender was enough to change his mind, he wouldn't have left one of the odds-on favourites to win a Cup (Vegas line is 7-1 behind only Chicago and Pittsburgh).  So how are they going to entice him back?

They can't pay him any more than what he's due under his contract, but they could offer an extension of two years which would guarantee him the chance to show his stuff and be considered for the Olympic team.  That's pretty much the only option here: offer Thomas $13M over three years with as much of the money as possible in the first couple of years.  Acquire him, sign him, send him to the minors on a conditioning stint.  Get him at the deadline to minimize your cash exposure this year to help pay for that last year when you'll be eating dead cap space.

Now you're really into the question of whether or not he's in shape, whether or not he can be the same goaltender after a year off eating donuts and hunting long-tailed snipe.  Because you are in risk city, and I don't think anyone goes there unless they have a world class group of skaters and an ECHL backup in net.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm going to stick with my original projection.  I think the Isles plan to leave Thomas be, toll the contract, and welcome him to camp in the Fall.  If he's 90% the goaltender he was in Boston, he's 50% better than anyone they've had since the rare flashes of a healthy young DiPietro.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm going to stick with my original projection.  I think the Isles plan to leave Thomas be, toll the contract, and welcome him to camp in the Fall.  If he's 90% the goaltender he was in Boston, he's 50% better than anyone they've had since the rare flashes of a healthy young DiPietro.

LOL! This is true Book. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

OK to clarify a few things. The guy's as flakey & eccentric as it gets, but he's not a total idiot! He said he wants to take a year off & come back & play to try out for the 2014 US squad. Now, the guy knows who his competition is & who he has to better than in order to make this happen. He's not that f'd up to think he can just waltz his way in there. 

He's not that messed up, or arrogant to think that he'll be able to take a whole season off & still be at the top of his game. He maybe hiding in the bush some where, but he's not just chillaxing, sitting by a camp fire & singing Kumbaya. I'm sure he's doing something to stay in shape. Is he stopping pucks somewhere? I have no idea, but I'm sure he's doing something . 

I'd like to believe he's working out and staying in sharp. but we really don't know.  What if he isn't?  It wouldn't be any more strange than some of the things we've seen from him already.  I play some hockey around CO Springs and have never heard of him skating anywhere, including with USA Hockey.  I hoped he would turn up practicing with Colorado College or Air Force this season, but he hasn't.  I'm sure there's plenty of training things he could be doing that I would never know about, but he sure keeps a low profile there.  He also said he was looking to pursue family, friends, and faith this year...fitness would be the missing 'F'.  Who knows?

That's my point.  He might well come back in tremendous shape and ready to go, but without any indication of that, who would pursue him (given the cost and risk)?

And don't think I'm rooting against him -- as much as his exit from the Bruins irked me (still does), I would love to see him playing again somewhere.  It would be a shame if its all over for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Anything back to the Islanders would be a bonus, and if Thomas does plan on coming back, he probably won't want to play there.  If this guy really does want that Olympic job, and he does still feel the need to prove something.....being the big man on deadline day would really soothe the ego.

I still go with the team needs for the Islanders, NY has plenty of forwards, and the teams Garth trades with. Would Holmgren or Yzerman be willing to throw in one of their prized forwards to entice Garth ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Anything back to the Islanders would be a bonus, and if Thomas does plan on coming back, he probably won't want to play there.  If this guy really does want that Olympic job, and he does still feel the need to prove something.....being the big man on deadline day would really soothe the ego.

I still go with the team needs for the Islanders, NY has plenty of forwards, and the teams Garth trades with. Would Holmgren or Yzerman be willing to throw in one of their prized forwards to entice Garth ?

I think TT is a free agent after this year, so if he decides to play next year, chances are slim he'd sign with the Islanders.  If that's the case,  I'm assuming it would take virtually nothing to pry him away from New York.  If I'm Holmgren, I'm on the phone. ("let me talk to him, if I can get him to play for us, can we make a deal?")

Not much cash to be burned up, just considerable effort.

If TT is currently under suspension, and the Islanders have him for next year, that's a much different scenario, and the overall price in aquiring him short turn will be much higher.  Probably too high.

Obviously, I have no idea if he's close to game shape either, but I can't believe a pro athlete at 40ish could be so delusional to believe he could totally walk away for a year, and come back anywhere close to "good enough", let alone elite.

If he's looking after himself, a bag of pucks and a million bucks would be considered a steal, if some of these teams could talk this guy into working for a couple months.  Very low risk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think TT is a free agent after this year, so if he decides to play next year, chances are slim he'd sign with the Islanders.  If that's the case,  I'm assuming it would take virtually nothing to pry him away from New York.  If I'm Holmgren, I'm on the phone. ("let me talk to him, if I can get him to play for us, can we make a deal?")

If TT is currently under suspension, and the Islanders have him for next year, that's a much different scenario, and the overall price in aquiring him short turn will be much higher.  Probably too high.

Obviously, I have no idea if he's close to game shape either, but I can't believe a pro athlete at 40ish could be so delusional to believe he could totally walk away for a year, and come back anywhere close to "good enough", let alone elite.

If he's looking after himself, a bag of pucks and a million bucks would be considered a steal, if some of these teams could talk this guy into working for a couple months.  Very low risk.

Bingo! That is TT's current situation. If NYI took him off of suspension then they'd be obligated to pay him his salary. I believe that TT (and much of his fanbase) is indeed, delusional.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thomas is suspended.  The Isles have the right to toll his contract forward, meaning he owes them a year at $3M ($5M cap hit).  Like I said, I think they made this deal knowing Nabokov is a UFA at year's end, and DiPietro is finished.  Thomas is a bridge to get Tavares and Co. some playoff hope and experience until they find the long-term solution.  If he plays next year, I think it's going to be for the Fiststicks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'd like to believe he's working out and staying in sharp. but we really don't know.  What if he isn't?  It wouldn't be any more strange than some of the things we've seen from him already.  I play some hockey around CO Springs and have never heard of him skating anywhere, including with USA Hockey.  I hoped he would turn up practicing with Colorado College or Air Force this season, but he hasn't.  I'm sure there's plenty of training things he could be doing that I would never know about, but he sure keeps a low profile there.  He also said he was looking to pursue family, friends, and faith this year...fitness would be the missing 'F'.  Who knows?

That's my point.  He might well come back in tremendous shape and ready to go, but without any indication of that, who would pursue him (given the cost and risk)?

And don't think I'm rooting against him -- as much as his exit from the Bruins irked me (still does), I would love to see him playing again somewhere.  It would be a shame if its all over for him.

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that this new training regime of his is like actually working on the ice without the ice. I'm trying to find it & I'll send the link. I don't think ur rooting against him & being one of his biggest supporters over the yrs he pee'd me off to no end. He finally shuts everybody up & helps my arguement then he pulls this stuff. It's almost as if he planned it all. He wanted to work his way & become a legend & then destroy his legacy. Goes from being famous in the hockey world to imfamous in a yr. 

Now, with his comments of taking the yr off & planning to come back to play in the games it's like he's trying to start another chapter for his book. Maybe since he's always felt like the whole world is against him he uses this as his "mental" preperation & this makes him motivated. Or, then again maybe he just felt that he did all that he wanted & accomplished his goals & really just wants to enjoy the 3 F's. There's more to this story & I'm sure Timmy will tell us some day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

He did help us win the SC, funny how fans forget this. I did not agree with TT's outside issues but ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I read somewhere that this new training regime of his is like actually working on the ice without the ice. I'm trying to find it & I'll send the link. I don't think ur rooting against him & being one of his biggest supporters over the yrs he pee'd me off to no end. He finally shuts everybody up & helps my arguement then he pulls this stuff. It's almost as if he planned it all. He wanted to work his way & become a legend & then destroy his legacy. Goes from being famous in the hockey world to imfamous in a yr. 

Now, with his comments of taking the yr off & planning to come back to play in the games it's like he's trying to start another chapter for his book. Maybe since he's always felt like the whole world is against him he uses this as his "mental" preperation & this makes him motivated. Or, then again maybe he just felt that he did all that he wanted & accomplished his goals & really just wants to enjoy the 3 F's. There's more to this story & I'm sure Timmy will tell us some day.

[/QUOTE]

I will be looking forward to reading his book.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

for a guy that hasn't played hockey this year? i doubt it

Sections
Shortcuts