What's the highest level you played?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: What's the highest level you played?

HS state champs + Tufts as a frosh. Realized it wasn't going anywhere (DIII + way too small), so I dropped it to do a million other things in college instead fooling myself doing one thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : I was there the 1st year it was founded (2005 or 2006, i forget), through the times when we were not an official club and had to fund the whole thing ourselves, through several seasons with one of the worst hockey coaches I've ever had at any level. This guy made Coach McKay look like Claude Julien. In fact, he was such a disgrace that the University told us we would not get club status unless he was fired; refs literally came over to thank us before the start of games. It was a blast though, my teammates were awesome. The club experience is pretty fantastic way to roll at UMass, as I'm sure you know. I quit halfway through the season we ended up going to Nationals because I had a vicious addiction to World of Warcraft and my grades were dropping, but I came back the next year. How's the team doing?  that's me second from the left.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

Mackay is what he is. he isn't a great hockey coach really, but the program wouldn't exist at this point without him. he organizes everything, and when he isn't thrust into a roll where he has to be a coach, he is critical to the team. We've had our ups and downs, last year we had an awesome head coach, Mike Atkinson, who was a year out of playing for Quinnipiac and really knew his stuff. We had a good year losing to UNH in regionals. He left this year to go play pro, and his replacement is god awful. literally destroyed any chance we had of winning, but things are looking up for us now. you should come to the golf tournament in fall. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Mackay is what he is. he isn't a great hockey coach really, but the program wouldn't exist at this point without him. he organizes everything, and when he isn't thrust into a roll where he has to be a coach, he is critical to the team.
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]

100% great guy, and a great part of the team. I really thought the team benefited from his stability in the locker-room, and he also really seems to care about the players future after college. Given what we had to endure, he was a breath of fresh air. I'm just sayin, the guy isn't exactly an X's and O's guy. If it seemed like I was demeaning him, I wasn't--it was much more of a commentary on Coach Johnson

Coach Johnson, never once in several years @ UMass blew his whistle to tell people where they should be on the ice. Given the fact that everyone was from different programs (except for the Hingham High guys like me), this was a huge problem on the ice. It took about one practice to realize why he was silent on these matters: He had no clue where people were actually supposed to be.

We didn't have a break out, we didn't have a defensive zone coverage, we didn't have a forecheck, we didn't have a neutral zone regroup, we didn't have a power-play (he called everything we did "the umbrella") we didn't have a penalty kill. Occasionally we did drills that resembled those things, but by no means was it a guided tour;he had no actual understanding of what those drills were trying to accomplish.  If I had to make an honest guess, he probably just bought a book of drills or looked on Google for how to fill up a practice from start to finish, and then just rolled with it for his entire career. The program was 100% reliant on players instinctively going where they had been taught in high school. He wondered why I didn't respect him.

I'm going to leave my criticisms to his hockey coaching, but as a person, let's just say there is work to be done in that department. Coach Johnson also made Coach McKay look like the dalai lama.

Anyways, that sucks about Coach Atkinson, seems just what the doctor ordered for the club team. I'll look into the golf tournament, I am not the best golfer, but I just got new clubs and I'm sure some of the other alum would like to go. I'm actually hoping to be back on the campus for 2013 to finish my Chemistry degree (I never finished due to that pesky warcraft thing), only one semester left though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Highest Level? Pro-mode on NHL '12. 

Really - Unless the USM dorm hall ways count.

Was also a pretty kick-a*s goalie in gym class during HS, but think that just had to do with having played baseball my whole life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Local Beer League A Division, currently playing B, stepped down to retire from running my team and chasing the young kids around the ice. 45 years old and still playing twice a week, I'm thankful that I can still lace em up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Played football and baseball at higher levels than hockey.  I was done with competitive by 12.  I skate like a guy who should be playing field sports.  Skating clown was too good for me.

General congratulations to all for the minimal level of bs on this thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Played football and baseball at higher levels than hockey.  I was done with competitive by 12.  I skate like a guy who should be playing field sports.  Skating clown was too good for me. General congratulations to all for the minimal level of bs on this thread.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised that I'm not seeing more who played junior or college.

And the resume doesn't mean much, I know of many players better than me who didn't play in college some who didn't play or were cut in high school (Arlington High and Catholic Memorial) who are really good players.

I know (at least at one time millions of years ago) BU had an 'A' and a 'B' team - the 'B' team was all kinds of walks ons and played other D2 and D3 colleges (altho I don't think those categories existed in the 70's), so there are people who say they played for BU - and they are 'technically' correct.

I know there was a startup junior a league here in New England back in the 70's that I'm sure couldn't hold a candle to jr a in Canada.

If your name is in hockeydb, then you can brag.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]I'm surprised that I'm not seeing more who played junior or college. And the resume doesn't mean much, I know of many players better than me who didn't play in college some who didn't play or were cut in high school (Arlington High and Catholic Memorial) who are really good players. I know (at least at one time millions of years ago) BU had an 'A' and a 'B' team - the 'B' team was all kinds of walks ons and played other D2 and D3 colleges (altho I don't think those categories existed in the 70's), so there are people who say they played for BU - and they are 'technically' correct. I know there was a startup junior a league here in New England back in the 70's that I'm sure couldn't hold a candle to jr a in Canada. If your name is in hockeydb, then you can brag.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

yeah, I'm surprised too. It kinda changes my perspective of the popularity of the Bruins being due to how many people played the game. Maybe Bobby Orr had more to do with the popularity of hockey in Boston than the amount of locals playing the game. Regardless, it's good to see. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : yeah, I'm surprised too. It kinda changes my perspective of the popularity of the Bruins being due to how many people played the game. Maybe Bobby Orr had more to do with the popularity of hockey in Boston than the amount of locals playing the game. Regardless, it's good to see. 

After they kicked me out of Quinnipiac (1 semester), and then after a few years I went to UMASS (early 80's), but no rink back then, so not even pick up for me back then...

Visited a few months ago and got lost in Central - so many new buildings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : I'm surprised that I'm not seeing more who played junior or college. And the resume doesn't mean much, I know of many players better than me who didn't play in college some who didn't play or were cut in high school (Arlington High and Catholic Memorial) who are really good players. I know (at least at one time millions of years ago) BU had an 'A' and a 'B' team - the 'B' team was all kinds of walks ons and played other D2 and D3 colleges (altho I don't think those categories existed in the 70's), so there are people who say they played for BU - and they are 'technically' correct. I know there was a startup junior a league here in New England back in the 70's that I'm sure couldn't hold a candle to jr a in Canada. If your name is in hockeydb, then you can brag.

Agreed with a major exception. Mine and the wife's names would be if hockeydb covered the women's game at all. The men's team from my school, Mount Royal of the ACAC in the CCAA, has every player listed from my last playing year, but not a word about the women. No mention of the WWHL, CWHL, or NWHL either.

Type in the name Wickenheiser and you'll find entries on Doug, Riley, Kurt, Claude and Chris, but not a single word on Hayley.

It's not the hockey database, it's the men's hockey database.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : Agreed with a major exception. Mine and the wife's names would be if hockeydb covered the women's game at all. The men's team from my school, Mount Royal of the ACAC in the CCAA, has every player listed from my last playing year, but not a word about the women. No mention of the WWHL, CWHL, or NWHL either. Type in the name Wickenheiser and you'll find entries on Doug, Riley, Kurt, Claude and Chris, but not a single word on Hayley.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    You already get to vote. What more do you want?Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : I'm surprised that I'm not seeing more who played junior or college. And the resume doesn't mean much, I know of many players better than me who didn't play in college some who didn't play or were cut in high school (Arlington High and Catholic Memorial) who are really good players. I know (at least at one time millions of years ago) BU had an 'A' and a 'B' team - the 'B' team was all kinds of walks ons and played other D2 and D3 colleges (altho I don't think those categories existed in the 70's), so there are people who say they played for BU - and they are 'technically' correct. I know there was a startup junior a league here in New England back in the 70's that I'm sure couldn't hold a candle to jr a in Canada. If your name is in hockeydb, then you can brag.

Well, It's kinda incomplete:

I see my name in hockeydb playing for one team and coaching another.  The level of the team I played for is mislisted, and the years are incomplete as are the stats.  The coaching year is right, but there's another minor pro team I coached that doesn't have me or any of my players listed.

On the college side, I played for 2 teams in the NCAA in the 70's - both teams are listed, but only 3 players are listed on one and a couple on the other. No stats.

So I oughta be in there with 4 teams from 1975-79 (NCAA) and 1980-1985, and 88-89.  I think I need a better agent.

Very incomplete.

And badhab, there were some good High School players playing in the Boston area when I was there.  I made the City of Boston starting All Star team in 1974, and Jack OCallahan was on that team.  He had some success with that Craig guy at BU and against those foeigners a couple years later!

Also was scouted by the Hartford Whalers in 1981 but thats another story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : 100% great guy, and a great part of the team. I really thought the team benefited from his stability in the locker-room, and he also really seems to care about the players future after college. Given what we had to endure, he was a breath of fresh air. I'm just sayin, the guy isn't exactly an X's and O's guy. If it seemed like I was demeaning him, I wasn't--it was much more of a commentary on Coach Johnson Coach Johnson, never once in several years @ UMass blew his whistle to tell people where they should be on the ice. Given the fact that everyone was from different programs (except for the Hingham High guys like me), this was a huge problem on the ice. It took about one practice to realize why he was silent on these matters: He had no clue where people were actually supposed to be. We didn't have a break out, we didn't have a defensive zone coverage, we didn't have a forecheck, we didn't have a neutral zone regroup, we didn't have a power-play (he called everything we did "the umbrella") we didn't have a penalty kill. Occasionally we did drills that resembled those things, but by no means was it a guided tour;he had no actual understanding of what those drills were trying to accomplish.  If I had to make an honest guess, he probably just bought a book of drills or looked on Google for how to fill up a practice from start to finish, and then just rolled with it for his entire career. The program was 100% reliant on players instinctively going where they had been taught in high school. He wondered why I didn't respect him. I'm going to leave my criticisms to his hockey coaching, but as a person, let's just say there is work to be done in that department. Coach Johnson also made Coach McKay look like the dalai lama. Anyways, that sucks about Coach Atkinson, seems just what the doctor ordered for the club team. I'll look into the golf tournament, I am not the best golfer, but I just got new clubs and I'm sure some of the other alum would like to go. I'm actually hoping to be back on the campus for 2013 to finish my Chemistry degree (I never finished due to that pesky warcraft thing), only one semester left though.

Atkinson was perfect for us. Honestly, we played a lot like the Bruins did last year. Tight D-zone, good systems, strong in the neutral zone, with an absolutely horrid powerplay. If guys didn't play the system they didn't dress. he was a real coach, we miss him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Didn't even own skates until I was 15 but somehow managed to make my HS team as a soph. We weren't very good but it was fun. All those years of street hockey paid off. Did not play in college other than men's leagues as my school didn't have a team. PLayed center and wing but moved to D as I got older and found out I was better at that anyway. Stone hands. lol

Coached girls U 10 until my daughter was moved up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Pond hockey with 3 older and bigger brothers who all three played hockey at a competitive level. Ended up playing hockey not long term but i did not excel like my brothers. I could not shoot or stick handle, having three brothers taught me how to check and hit. Maybe this is why Football became a better option for me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

from age 4 to 12 played on an outdoor rink in the adirondacks, and was on the "travel team". wrestling was my calling (state champ/college all-american/national qualifier), and my hs didn't have a hockey program. 6 or 8 kids from every grade (only 80 or so in each grade) transfered to the larger schools to play hs hockey, a couple even went to canada to play. i bought roller blades and continued play with friends in town. i currently play in a mens league on occasion. love the game. have bought each of my nieces and nephews hockey sticks as b-day/christmas gifts... one seems to be taking. he's only 4 and he's an animal. going to be hard to steer him from wrestling though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Highschool, then on to mens league after highschool. It wasnt til I transferred out of community college into a university, did I get to play club hockey. It was alot of fun and good to get back to full contact hockey. I still play mens league with my 2 brothers. We all play on the same line and just gel together. Its fun playing on a line when everything clicks....well most of the time. Besides it turns out to be the 3 of us yelling at each other, so we dont upset anyone else. LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

High school, 25+ years later still goaltending in a pretty competitive A/B leagues , in spring and summer we add a current AHL captain to our squad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : Agreed with a major exception. Mine and the wife's names would be if hockeydb covered the women's game at all. The men's team from my school, Mount Royal of the ACAC in the CCAA, has every player listed from my last playing year, but not a word about the women. No mention of the WWHL, CWHL, or NWHL either. Type in the name Wickenheiser and you'll find entries on Doug, Riley, Kurt, Claude and Chris, but not a single word on Hayley. It's not the hockey database, it's the men's hockey database.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. (no sarcasm there). Have you ever contacted them to complain? Women's hockey has reached the level that it's absurd that not even the elite players are listed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

After my last year of Bantam Attleboro High dropped hockey. Can you imagine that ? A township of Massachusetts not only without a rink but no high school program. Broke my heart so I played Midget Minor for 2 more years.

Played a ton of roller hockey in So Cal during the early 90s with Ron Duguay when it was a craze out here. Then a reluctant practice dummy with the San Diego Gulls when Mike O'Connell was the coach.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Some of the hesitation here is the general perference not to be fully identifiable here with the trolls and what not.  Hockey db gives enough info that you would no longer have any anonymity here.  Normally nobody would really care about that, but given the trolls around here there is some hesitation.

As for me, I played a lot growing up but even more on ponds than in rinks.  I went on to play lower level college hockey (not good enough for D-I consideration) for three years.  After college I played in men's leagues from Boston, to Ohio, to Denver anywhere from A league to C leagues.  I've played on the same team in Denver for 8 years now.  We're old, mostly out of shape, and just having fun at this point.  I run a lot and used to do triathlons to stay in good hockey shape, until a big bike wreck last year that put me on the shelf for a while.

Still love playing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the highest level you played? : Well, It's kinda incomplete: I see my name in hockeydb playing for one team and coaching another.  The level of the team I played for is mislisted, and the years are incomplete as are the stats.  The coaching year is right, but there's another minor pro team I coached that doesn't have me or any of my players listed. On the college side, I played for 2 teams in the NCAA in the 70's - both teams are listed, but only 3 players are listed on one and a couple on the other. No stats. So I oughta be in there with 4 teams from 1975-79 (NCAA) and 1980-1985, and 88-89.  I think I need a better agent. Very incomplete. And badhab, there were some good High School players playing in the Boston area when I was there.  I made the City of Boston starting All Star team in 1974, and Jack OCallahan was on that team.  He had some success with that Craig guy at BU and against those foeigners a couple years later! Also was scouted by the Hartford Whalers in 1981 but thats another story.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I guess they decided the tandem of John Garrett and Greg Millen would take them to the promised land?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Mount Royal?!?!

Geez, red, I'm sorry to hear that....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Mount Royal?!?! Geez, red, I'm sorry to hear that....
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

High School was the highest level for me.  Took close to 15 years off and now I'm playing pick up on friday nights, with an age range from teens to 60somethings.  Considering joining a competitive league come fall depending on the schedule.

Sections
Shortcuts