What's the Marc Savard story again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What's the Marc Savard story again?

Darn.  I wish they had the search feature back because I know this turf has been covered before, but it's been so long I can't remember.

What is the deal with Marc Savard?

Is there another reason why he's on the roster other than to save Jacobs some money?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: What's the Marc Savard story again?

Sounds like a job for Bookboy - he always seemed to have an understanding of this quagmire.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If I were managing a web site I would keep a FAQ thread right at the top with all the questions such as these along with all those CBA questions that always come up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

How can long-term injured reserve cause a bonus overage?

The most common reason a team ends up with a bonus overage penalty is because it operated close to the salary cap's upper limit the previous season and was forced to put a player or players on long-term injured reserve.

Operating close to the cap with players on LTIR for a full season results in teams operating close to or exactly at the salary cap's upper limit, meaning they essentially finish the season with zero available cap space.

For teams in these positions with players earning performance bonuses, those bonuses are tacked onto their final cap payroll and carried forward as a penalty the following season.

CBA reference: Section 50.10 (d) (P. 226-231)

The Bruins would benefit from Savard's formal retirement, however.  Salary that stays on LTIR does not count against the cap for normal accounting purposes, but it does count against the cap for performance bonus purposes.  This is why the Bruins faced a cap penalty last year and again this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This is the last year that Savard's contract is at big money $5M. The season after that it drops to $1.5M, $575K the last two years. I think Marc retires during the summer of 2014 or 2015. Buying out contract while the player is on LTIR still cannot be done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Thanks San Dog   I was curious about this as well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

I miss Savard hope he has a successful post-hockey career as a golfer. Heck I wouldn't even mind being a club pro. "Here sweetheart let me show you that grip again".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Stuke50's comment:

I miss Savard hope he has a successful post-hockey career as a golfer. Heck I wouldn't even mind being a club pro. "Here sweetheart let me show you that grip again".

And she says "Okay, San.  But shouldn't we get on the golf course first?"