What's With The Habs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: What's With The Habs?

It appears to B's are locked into either the 3rd or possibly the 2nd seed in the East.  A match up against # 6 or 7.  I can see 2 of the Habs, Canes, Rangers or Sabres falling into those slots.  An outside chance the Pens or Caps drop down as well.  Of these teams the best matchup for the B's imo is the Habs or Rangers.  The Canes and Sabres are the 1st round teams I would like to avoid soley because of goaltending.

Would love to see a Caps/Pens first round. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

mister,

I say the Pens/Caps is pretty much gonna happen and I agree it will be a very good matchup especially if Sid can come back.

I want the Habs or Rangers.  I hate the Rangers, but beating the Habs is much more fun.  My fear is that we have to pound the Habs into submission and in the playoffs the Habs always seem to hire their own refs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Shupe, yes, of course that is noted. What I'm pointing out is if even the "trade Gill for Seabrook" crowd can even see how bad he is. The fans who know the game up there (and there are a lot of good fans up there, whether we want to acknowledge it) are infuriated with his play. Its a thing of beauty. But with all that noise they are still gonna make the playoffs, and once there, stranger things have happened.

I think Sather and the Rangers are a match made in heaven ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: What's With The Habs?:
    [QUOTE]seobrien, can you imagine if Gomez was here.  We would feel the same way.  The Rangers should not be permitted to sign free agents.  The Rangers always mess things up.  As much as I liked Sather while he was in Edmonton I can't stand him as a GM.  His list of mistakes are legendary.  Redden/Drury/Gomez for starters.  Thats half the salary cap in those three bums. The Habs defense isn't nearly strong enough.  They have fast pesky fwds and their coach really needs a lot of the credit fromlast year.  As well as an amazingly hot goalie.  When the Habs lose a playoff game they will be all over Price.  His mental state will go wild and he will fail.  Bank on it.  I want the Habs in the 1st round.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    shupe is right i was trying to think of the equivalent for the bruins but Montreal losing markov,gorges and now spacek is like the bruins losing chara,seidenberg and ference. it would be a tall order to overcome and if julian managed to hold the ship afloat the way martin has he would be respected alot more by the fan base. i mean they have tired to fill in the holes with guys  like paul mara but i guess he was even a healthy scratch the other night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

montreal was able to match lines last year in the playoffs b/c of their dmen combos.  They can't do that this year.  I think there defense is servicable but its not as good as last years group.  Gorges is very underated.  Spacek makes quick plays out of his zone and has a heavy shot. 
    I am looking fwd to see who we will play.  I know the team I dont want is Carolina.  Staal and Ward scare me.  And for some reason Staal seems to play great against Chara.   Plus Carolina is fast and has a goalie that steals games all the time.  Plus they bolstered their lineup like I thought they would.  Stillman/Allen were nice veteran pick ups. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]montreal was able to match lines last year in the playoffs b/c of their dmen combos.  They can't do that this year.  I think there defense is servicable but its not as good as last years group.  Gorges is very underated.  Spacek makes quick plays out of his zone and has a heavy shot.  I am looking fwd to see who we will play.  I know the team I dont want is Carolina.  Staal and Ward scare me.  And for some reason Staal seems to play great against Chara.   Plus Carolina is fast and has a goalie that steals games all the time.  Plus they bolstered their lineup like I thought they would.  Stillman/Allen were nice veteran pick ups. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

also i dont know who i hate more scoring against the bruins then chad larose!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

chad larose.  so true.  he seems to be a bruin killer as well.  little rat zipping around. 
    I don't fear any team.  But Carolina always seems to find a way.  keep it close, great goalie, dominant scorer. Good special teams

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I know a few hardcore Hab fans up here in northern Maine, and they are all throwing in the towel.  They know that even IF, and it is a big if for them, the Habs make the playoffs they really cant compete for the cup, so its pointless.  They are really upset that the Habs didnt do any trades and they say the Habs look like theyre in trouble for a few years to come.  An aging, injured, overpaid team with no real prospects is what Im hearing.  Either way, when the hardcore Hab fans up here are down on their team for the long run, it makes me feel good. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]apologies soxfaninil for referring to you as a scab fan, I re-read your post and you might be a B's fan who just likes to live in fear of the most obnoxious team in sports.
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

Just a horrible thing, being mistaken for a Habs' fan.  Apology accepted.

It's kind of funny, you kids must be pretty young if you think Im in fear of the Habs because of "one" series "40 years ago."

Those of us who have followed the Bs for some time remember many, many times the Bruins just couldnt get by the Habs, in the 70's, the 80s the 90s.  Too many men on the ice, late goals, phantom power plays.  The "ghosts of the Montreal Forum" was such a common concept it became a joke.  When Reggie Lemelin finally slayed that dragon, Bruins fans couldnt believe it.

Since that time, collosal chokes against Montreal continued, including that last 7 game swoon.  Its nice that you kids arent old enough to fear the Habs.  All I know is, I stand behind the statement that the Habs play better at playoff time historically, while the Bruins habitually do otherwise.

And, your own comments prove it... when the B's DO beat Montreal, they act like theyve won something and promptly choke to the next bum.  I'll say it again. I dont care whether Montreal gets beat by someone else, or doesnt make it at all. I don't want any part of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]I know a few hardcore Hab fans up here in northern Maine, and they are all throwing in the towel.  They know that even IF, and it is a big if for them, the Habs make the playoffs they really cant compete for the cup, so its pointless.  They are really upset that the Habs didnt do any trades and they say the Habs look like theyre in trouble for a few years to come.  An aging, injured, overpaid team with no real prospects is what Im hearing.  Either way, when the hardcore Hab fans up here are down on their team for the long run, it makes me feel good. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Where in nothern Maine? I live in central Maine myself. In the boonies of Rome.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Indian Township, outside of Baxter State Park. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Indian Township, outside of Baxter State Park. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    I love Baxter State Park try to get up there a couple times during the summer. It's beautiful up there. I actually work up in Millinocket quite a bit for the mill. Indian Township is by Long lake and Big lake right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]While any Bruins fan knows to never underestimate the Habs, they look like they are going to be in trouble for a while.  They are aging on the blue line, not to mention really beat up.  They have very little in the way of blue chip prospects.  They have virtually zero toughness.  I think they have shown a lot to be where they are right now, but I see the wind in there sails dying down and an early exit from the playoffs.  Draft is weak (I'm no expert) and there is not much out there this off season as far as free agency.  I know some of you posters are from CAN.  Am I way off with this assessment?
    Posted by CamOJonasink[/QUOTE]

You're partially on. By your writing, you make it sound like Montreal is a struggling team who is in deep trouble. They're not: they're in 6t, and have more points at this stage now than they did last year.  Despite being counted out and buried for dead since the Halak deal, Montreal keeps winning games--even with guys like Gorges, Markov and Cammalleri (3 of the top 6 players on that team) out of the lineup. The idea that Bigvig puts forward that the Habs are a "big if" to make the playoffs is hyperbole: it's possible they don't get in, but it's much, much, much more likely that they do.  It's very likely that they end up in 6th, since they do continue to win and/or get points from most of their games.

For a team with "no young talent", the younger players have been a big reason why they're in the position they're in. Price and Subban are certainly blue-chip players, and guys like Weber, Desharnais, Paccioretty and Eller are all NHL-ready guys right now, albeit Weber and Eller certainly wouldn't get serious minutes on a team that was a true cup contender. They're not huge contributors right now, but that's to be expected due to their age and experience. They're just going to get better.  And while the team doesn't have toughness,but it does have heart; no way should this Montreal team be at 75 points and as close to 4th in the East as they are to 8th. But they are.

You're dead on about defense: there isn't any depth there, especially with Markov and Gorges out. Those are 2 major, major issues for the team. And you're also dead-on about toughness: they need size, which they simply do not have. You can only get by so long on speed (which they have in spades). Against teams that are strong and skilled (Philadelphia, Boston) you can't expect to just skate around your opponents and think you're not going to get smacked around.

As for the draft, well...with MTL the draft is always a crapshoot. Their 1st rounders, outside of Price (and maybe Paccioretty...we'll see), haven't been much to speak of over the last few years; anyone seen Ryan McDonough or David Fischer lately? There are very high hopes for Louis Leblanc (my high hopes include that the francophone fan-base doesn't crush him with expectations due to his last name). The Habs have done better in the 2-4 rounds, but have to reverse their trend of poor drafting regardless of pick. This doesn't matter in the immediate future, but it will 3-5 years down the road, especially in this salary cap era.

The Habs standing pat is actually probably the best move given present circumstances. There wasn't a player available who would make this team that much closer to a Cup contender, and the price to be paid to get one wouldn't have been Scott Gomez (unfortunately) or Andre Kostitsyn. The Habs would have had to give up some of their young talent in Hamilton (which they do have) or one of their NHL youngsters. If they were the proverbial "one or two guys away", which maybe they are had Markov and Gorges stayed healthy, you go for it. But they're not, and most guys who were out there weren't those two one or two players anyway. Kaberle and Penner are exceptions (although Kaberle isn't a need in Montreal--just an example of high quality guys available at the deadline), but there weren't many of those guys around for a price MTL could pay. 

Montreal in the playoffs is a threat to defeat anyone just because they have good goaltending and play a system that usually doesn't allow a lot of goals--good thing, since MTL doesn't score many. But a team like Montreal is unlikely to defeat 4 "anyones" regardless, so I think they best move is to stand pat now, go as far they can, decide what to do about free agents, and then move forward. The WORST thing they could have done is to make a move simply to appease the fan base--like every team's, the fan base isn't all that smart, but Montreal's also has to add in politics and the delusion that past history matters a lot to present success.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Best quote of the thread: "(Price's) history is more one of folding under pressure not thriving...."

His "history"? 3 years in the league, 2 years as a starting goalie in the playoffs, 1-2 in his 3 series.

Some history.

Look, I love Tim Thomas....I always root for underdog UVM guys. But Thomas' "history" in the playoffs isn't any better than Price's, and Thomas isn't in his early 20s. If you're going to say that Price has a history of being a choker, how can you feel comfortable with Thomas as your starter? (Or Rask for that matter, who was the goalie of record last year in the Philly series)?

The answer: neither's "history" matters, since none of those players have played in enough playoff games to have developed a "history" long enough to examine. If Price (or Thomas, for that matter) sieve out in April, then we're starting to see trends. As of now, I'd be very comfortable with either goaltender as my starter come playoff time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's With The Habs? : You're partially on. By your writing, you make it sound like Montreal is a struggling team who is in deep trouble. They're not: they're in 6t, and have more points at this stage now than they did last year.  Despite being counted out and buried for dead since the Halak deal, Montreal keeps winning games--even with guys like Gorges, Markov and Cammalleri (3 of the top 6 players on that team) out of the lineup. The idea that Bigvig puts forward that the Habs are a "big if" to make the playoffs is hyperbole: it's possible they don't get in, but it's much, much, much more likely that they do.  It's very likely that they end up in 6th, since they do continue to win and/or get points from most of their games. For a team with "no young talent", the younger players have been a big reason why they're in the position they're in. Price and Subban are certainly blue-chip players, and guys like Weber, Desharnais, Paccioretty and Eller are all NHL-ready guys right now, albeit Weber and Eller certainly wouldn't get serious minutes on a team that was a true cup contender. They're not huge contributors right now, but that's to be expected due to their age and experience. They're just going to get better.  And while the team doesn't have toughness,but it does have heart; no way should this Montreal team be at 75 points and as close to 4th in the East as they are to 8th. But they are. You're dead on about defense: there isn't any depth there, especially with Markov and Gorges out. Those are 2 major, major issues for the team. And you're also dead-on about toughness: they need size, which they simply do not have. You can only get by so long on speed (which they have in spades). Against teams that are strong and skilled (Philadelphia, Boston) you can't expect to just skate around your opponents and think you're not going to get smacked around. As for the draft, well...with MTL the draft is always a crapshoot. Their 1st rounders, outside of Price (and maybe Paccioretty...we'll see), haven't been much to speak of over the last few years; anyone seen Ryan McDonough or David Fischer lately? There are very high hopes for Louis Leblanc (my high hopes include that the francophone fan-base doesn't crush him with expectations due to his last name). The Habs have done better in the 2-4 rounds, but have to reverse their trend of poor drafting regardless of pick. This doesn't matter in the immediate future, but it will 3-5 years down the road, especially in this salary cap era. The Habs standing pat is actually probably the best move given present circumstances. There wasn't a player available who would make this team that much closer to a Cup contender, and the price to be paid to get one wouldn't have been Scott Gomez (unfortunately) or Andre Kostitsyn. The Habs would have had to give up some of their young talent in Hamilton (which they do have) or one of their NHL youngsters. If they were the proverbial "one or two guys away", which maybe they are had Markov and Gorges stayed healthy, you go for it. But they're not, and most guys who were out there weren't those two one or two players anyway. Kaberle and Penner are exceptions (although Kaberle isn't a need in Montreal--just an example of high quality guys available at the deadline), but there weren't many of those guys around for a price MTL could pay.  Montreal in the playoffs is a threat to defeat anyone just because they have good goaltending and play a system that usually doesn't allow a lot of goals--good thing, since MTL doesn't score many. But a team like Montreal is unlikely to defeat 4 "anyones" regardless, so I think they best move is to stand pat now, go as far they can, decide what to do about free agents, and then move forward. The WORST thing they could have done is to make a move simply to appease the fan base--like every team's, the fan base isn't all that smart, but Montreal's also has to add in politics and the delusion that past history matters a lot to present success.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Breaking my silence to say thanks Kennedy.  Nice assessment, disagree on the offense a bit, the defense is reflective of their team play.  Cheers! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Kennedy - I like this: "The WORST thing they could have done is to make a move simply to appease the fan base--like every team's, the fan base isn't all that smart, but Montreal's also has to add in politics and the delusion that past history matters a lot to present success."

Truer words, and certainly applicable to the Bruins's history as well. It neither matters that they went 50 years without beating Montreal in the playoffs nor that they have a winning playoff record against them since Lemelin.  If they face them this year, what'll matter is what they do, not what Lafleur did, or Dryden, or Theodore.

The Shabs have a couple of kids who I'd tab as overachievers right now - Pacioretty, Desharnais (a guy who dominated the ECHL on his way up the ladder, and a three year minor leaguer; fodder for the Farmville thread), a couple of good young players in Price and Subban (ouch...), a few guys who should improve like Eller and Pouliot, and a couple of guys I think are intersting prospects in Palushaj and Leblanc.  I've always thought Cammelieri was under-appreciated as a pure goalscorer (until the got a $6M+ deal), and Gionta's a guy you have to respect for his determination and skills.

I don't think they're ripe for a collapse, but I don't see them as well-positioned for a Cup run or even a division championship any time soon.  Are Gomez, Pleckanec and Kostitsyn going to find another gear?  Is Pleckanec really a guy who can be the leading scorer on a contender?  Gill, Hamrlik, and Spacek are all over 35 and not getting faster.  Wisniewski, Gorges and Picard are younger veterans, but then it's Subban and Weber and O'Byrne.  Markov's a wildcard - who knows if he'll ever compete again?  All in all, Price will have to play out of his head for them to compete, but I don't see a clear path to doing better than they did last year.

Sections
Shortcuts