What's Worse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What's Worse?

A player throwing a check in which his elbow happens knock an unsuspecting opponent's head into Concussionville (intention unclear) or a player beating up another who has no interest in fighting?

"He didn't want to fight," Emery said. "I basically said, 'Protect yourself.' He didn't really have much of a choice. ... We, as a group, it was a frustrating night. The fans are frustrated and we don't accept that. I think the frustration shows sometimes that way. We all kind of grew up playing hockey and sometimes that happens." (Rotoworld)

I'd say Emery's actions were worse than Scott's. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Re: What's Worse?

Emery, in trying to justify his actions, sounds like a complete idiot and should be suspended for a few. I'm still scratching my head as to how he was awarded 3rd star of the game. Who did the voting, Holmgren?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A player throwing a check in which his elbow happens knock an unsuspecting opponent's head into Concussionville (intention unclear) or a player beating up another who has no interest in fighting?

"He didn't want to fight," Emery said. "I basically said, 'Protect yourself.' He didn't really have much of a choice. ... We, as a group, it was a frustrating night. The fans are frustrated and we don't accept that. I think the frustration shows sometimes that way. We all kind of grew up playing hockey and sometimes that happens." (Rotoworld)

[/QUOTE]

I know what the majority will say, obviously becuase it is a Bruin on the wrong side of the elbow hit, but this is a great observation.
    As much as Scott is a goon who doesnt belong in the league, Emery is an idiot. Emerys actions will somewhat be lost in the fact that it was a brawl and that people seem to love goalie fights since they are rare. Again, Emery is an idiot. 18 wins in 19 games last year and could not land a starting job. That tells you all you pretty much need to know about the guy.  He pretty much jumped Holtby and pounded away at his head. Real tough. I wonder if he'll have Mike Tyson painted on his helmet again.

If this happened between two players, one not wanting to fight and the other forcing the issue by pounding away, I would think there would be some consequences. If no action is taken by the league, next time they meet, I would like to see Volpatti or Wilson take matters into their own hands. Put that wanna be tough guy in his place.

At least Emery gave the Philly fans a reason to cheer for a goaltender, god knows they dont give them any reason to when they are between the pipes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I watched the game live and thought Emery came off as a complete thug, but also lived up to Philly's lofty reputation for conduct and decency in sports.  I'm sure he's a hero in Philly this morning.

I've always thought it was cowardly to force a fight on someone who doesn't want to go.  If it's Ulf or Matt Cooke, I can look the other way, but Holtby is standing down there doing nothing except for throwing a damned shutout against a divisional rival.  Absolutely no reason for Emery to skate the length of the ice and attack him.  I couldn't believe another Caps player didn't jump in.  It was pathetic.  

Emery is a lousy boxer and a lousy goalie who has decided to combine to the two and be a lousy goalie who fights to distract the fans from his disasterous play..

Again, I think Shanahan needs to look at the incidents that embarass the league, not just his fleeting and murky criteria for suspensions.  Emery turned a hockey game into a goon show for no reason last night, and attacked and unwilling oppenent who had a shutout going.  Suspend him.

I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, now...I think you have to add the key factor here which is that Holtby did literally nothing to Emery to provoke a beatdown.  He's standing about as far away from him as you can get and still be on the same ice sheet.  If Brouwer snow showers Emery in a 7-0 whitewash, and Emery gets up and challenges him to fight, and Brouwer says no, I don't want to fight, then I might not feel quite the same way as I do in this case.  If hockey has any use for fighting, it's guys being able to fight dirtbags who cheapshot them - even if the dirtbag chooses to turtle.  I had no issue with Neely rag-dolling Lemieux into the boards, for example.

Which is worse?  I don't know.  Emery's intent is pretty clear, but the Scott hit didn't leave Eriksson any chance to protect himself.  Not equal but maybe even in terms of crappiness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I watched the game live and thought Emery came off as a complete thug, but also lived up to Philly's lofty reputation for conduct and decency in sports.  I'm sure he's a hero in Philly this morning.

I've always thought it was cowardly to force a fight on someone who doesn't want to go.  If it's Ulf or Matt Cooke, I can look the other way, but Holtby is standing down there doing nothing except for throwing a damned shutout against a divisional rival.  Absolutely no reason for Emery to skate the length of the ice and attack him.  I couldn't believe another Caps player didn't jump in.  It was pathetic.  

Emery is a lousy boxer and a lousy goalie who has decided to combine to the two and be a lousy goalie who fights to distract the fans from his disasterous play..

Again, I think Shanahan needs to look at the incidents that embarass the league, not just his fleeting and murky criteria for suspensions.  Emery turned a hockey game into a goon show for no reason last night, and attacked and unwilling oppenent who had a shutout going.  Suspend him.

I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Depends who is turtling, watching Cook or Samuelsson getting hammered would suite me just fine. The question is to choose it's so it's the elbow because at least the person gas a choice, elbows are unsuspecting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Hey, Emery's just keeping Holtby 'honest'.

"I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense." - 'Kelvana33'

A fight's a fight's a fight. They're all - and always - embarrassing. Makes humans - those who do it and those who hoot and jump up and down around them - look like chimps. The League has no reputation to manage. Nobody is deterred nor kept 'honest' nor policed nor intimidated by the prospect of getting beaten up for anything they do.

Fighting diminishes the game and everybody in it - and whether we recognize it or not - everybody who watches it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not much to be said but "I disagree" gord.  I think there's a place for it.  I think it's part of the difference between sports and games.  I think it's part of what makes sport meaningful and not just diverting.  I agree with you about the goon shows and the stupid moves like Emery's.  But I disagree that a fight is a fight is a fight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"I think it's part of the difference between sports and games.  I think it's part of what makes sport meaningful and not just diverting." - 'Bookboy007'

I would 'disagree' with you Bookboy; Fighting is what makes hockey meaningless.

Why not take it further? What about the difference between sports and life? Ya know the old saw (I pull it out every coupla months or so) about how sports are meant to hint at man's ideal, not to merely mirror our reality?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Oh, and what is our reality? How stupid, unevolved and utterly unimaginative we are at solving our disputes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh, and what is our reality? How stupid, unevolved and utterly unimaginative we are at solving our disputes.

[/QUOTE]

How would you like disputes solved?  A best two out of three game of ring toss?

Animals fight.  Human are animals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"How would you like disputes solved?.." 'Not-A-Shot'

On the scoreboard.

Fights affect nothing

ps. by 'Animals fight' are you referring to professional fighting animals? Dogs? Roosters? Bears chained to posts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

gord's crazy talk has managed to change the conversation...

I'd say Emery is worse. He went a long way to pummel someone who was not willing and kept pummeling away when Holtby couldn't protect himself anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]

Fights affect nothing

[/QUOTE]

Wow, are you even remotely familiar with history?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Fights affect nothing

ps. by 'Animals fight' are you referring to professional fighting animals? Dogs? Roosters? Bears chained to posts?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.deathcamps.info/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"http://www.deathcamps.info/" - 'Not-A-Shot'

Wow! Way ta bring da flamethrowa, dude. You win.

And MY 'crazy talk' has changed the conversation?!?

Ok..."Emery's was worse"..."Scott's was worse"...blah blah blah

Fighting affects nothing - in hockey - except the entertainment value of those it entertains.

It is not making the game better it is not making players safer it is not making any of us..richer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Blindside headshots at full speed are far worse, not even close. 

Emery picked a fight with a less than willing combatant, big deal.  Happens enough that it shouldn't surprise anyone, just unique in the fact that it was a goalie fight.  High marks to Holtby for trying to make a go of it as compared to turtling. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, now...I think you have to add the key factor here which is that Holtby did literally nothing to Emery to provoke a beatdown.  He's standing about as far away from him as you can get and still be on the same ice sheet.  If Brouwer snow showers Emery in a 7-0 whitewash, and Emery gets up and challenges him to fight, and Brouwer says no, I don't want to fight, then I might not feel quite the same way as I do in this case.  If hockey has any use for fighting, it's guys being able to fight dirtbags who cheapshot them - even if the dirtbag chooses to turtle.  I had no issue with Neely rag-dolling Lemieux into the boards, for example.

Which is worse?  I don't know.  Emery's intent is pretty clear, but the Scott hit didn't leave Eriksson any chance to protect himself.  Not equal but maybe even in terms of crappiness.

[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly- and may I throw in what Domi did to Ulfie was one of the most beautiful acts I ever seen in the sport! Btw- I don't know how true this is, but I heard Cam paid Domi's salary while he was suspended.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm still trying to figure out what Holtby got a major for - receiving?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Worse?  Different.

Emery is just plain stupid.  He was dying to show off his fighting skills, even if it was against a punching bag.  Ego and dumb.

Scott is just plain unskilled.  He was dying to do something other than fighting and couldn't land a clean hit.  Unskilled and misguided.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I just made this point in the "Flyers" thread and was waiting to get roasted for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey, Emery's just keeping Holtby 'honest'.

"I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense." - 'Kelvana33'

A fight's a fight's a fight. They're all - and always - embarrassing. Makes humans - those who do it and those who hoot and jump up and down around them - look like chimps. The League has no reputation to manage. Nobody is deterred nor kept 'honest' nor policed nor intimidated by the prospect of getting beaten up for anything they do.

Fighting diminishes the game and everybody in it - and whether we recognize it or not - everybody who watches it.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, if your going to quote me make sure I was the one who actually said it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE]

I'm still trying to figure out what Holtby got a major for - receiving? [/QUOTE]

I know right! Fighting Major for waiving your hand and motioning "No" in Emery's face LoL

Sections
Shortcuts